PDA

View Full Version : Del Potro's wrists

Mainad
09-19-2012, 02:22 PM
After being absent for most of 2010 following surgery on his right wrist, the left one is now apparently giving him some trouble and caused him to pull out of Argentina's recent DC semi against the Czech Republic.

He seems to suffer from a weakness in both wrists and, if he is not careful, may need the same kind of surgery on the left one that he previously had on the right one with the prospect of being off the tour again for another protracted length of time.

IMO this chronic wrist trouble doesn't bode well for his future prospects of ever getting back into the top 3 or 4.

Thoughts?

fps
09-19-2012, 02:28 PM
After being absent for most of 2010 following surgery on his right wrist, the left one is now apparently giving him some trouble and caused him to pull out of Argentina's recent DC semi against the Czech Republic.

He seems to suffer from a weakness in both wrists and, if he is not careful, may need the same kind of surgery on the left one that he previously had on the right one with the prospect of being off the tour again for another protracted length of time.

IMO this chronic wrist trouble doesn't bode well for his future prospects of ever getting back into the top 3 or 4.

Thoughts?

Missing another season due to surgery would be the end of him ever coming back into slam contention. I just hope he is able to get a brutal off-season in him and come back better than ever 2013, tennis needs him at his best.

forzamilan90
09-19-2012, 02:57 PM
whatever he needs to do to prevent these wrist problems from recurring I hope he does, because this is one of my fave players, top class man too

sureshs
09-19-2012, 03:05 PM
He has to stop hitting that hard and flat, plain and simple, and go for more topspin.

Paullaconte1
09-19-2012, 04:09 PM
I was a bit surprised to hear that he was injured at his left wrist. He is right handed! He uses the left wrist only for the service ball toss (that you know it is not very demanding) and the backhand in "cooperation" with his right wrist.

How he could have injured his left wrist? Drinking from a heavy bottle?

Ripster
09-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I was a bit surprised to hear that he was injured at his left wrist. He is right handed! He uses the left wrist only for the service ball toss (that you know it is not very demanding) and the backhand in "cooperation" with his right wrist.

He has a two-handed backhand. The left wrist is very active during a typical 2 handed swing.

smoledman
09-19-2012, 04:23 PM
He uses too much wrist snap in his shots.

Clarky21
09-19-2012, 04:29 PM
This sucks for Delpo. Hopefully he won't have to miss so much time with this injury as he did with his last.

cc0509
09-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Zzzzzzzzzz! More wrist issues for the DelPotards to come up with reasons why Del Po has not won another slam. :lol:

He is not good enough that is the only reason.

Crisstti
09-19-2012, 06:39 PM
SO it's his left wrist then?. I would have thought it was the right one, especially after having had surgery there.

He shouldn't have played that DC match I guess. And they booed him for pulling out of the another match :(

paulorenzo
09-19-2012, 08:39 PM
He has to stop hitting that hard and flat, plain and simple, and go for more topspin.

he doesn't hit as hard as he used to. consciously hitting with more topspin isn't going to lessen the wear and tear on your wrists. not utilizing one's wrist as much, something that i think delpo will have trouble with given his straight arm strokes, is the key.

BreakPoint
09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
whatever he needs to do to prevent these wrist problems from recurring I hope he does, because this is one of my fave players, top class man too
He would need to stop using poly strings and switch to a flexier racquet. However, if he did those things he wouldn't be half the player he is today because he wouldn't be able to hit the ball as hard and keep it in and would also lose a lot of control. He knows this and that's why he hasn't switched yet. He's sacrificing his wrists to be able to consistently crush the ball as much as he does. There's no free lunch.

hersito
09-19-2012, 09:12 PM
the left hand wrist injure is nothing like the right hand one, he doesn't need surgery, just to rest. He'll be back around mid or end of October.

Don't know where OP got the news but is wrong.

BreakPoint
09-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Many players with two-handed backhands have injured their off hand wrists. Since the off hand is higher up on the handle, it absorbs more shock and vibration than your primary hand does.

Sabratha
09-19-2012, 11:22 PM
If he has to come back from surgery again, I doubt he will get back into the top 10.

Mainad
09-20-2012, 07:26 AM
the left hand wrist injure is nothing like the right hand one, he doesn't need surgery, just to rest. He'll be back around mid or end of October.

Don't know where OP got the news but is wrong.

Please re-read my opening post. There is no 'news' and I didn't get anything wrong. I didn't say he had to have surgery on his left wrist, I am just expressing concern that he has started to have trouble with it on top of the right-hand surgery that kept him away from the game for so long. I was speculating if it was the same kind of trouble that might also need surgery at some point in the future.

He seems to be prone to wrist injuries and I am concerned for his future because of it. That's all.

decrepitude
09-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Nadal's style of play is hard on his knees, Delpo's style of play is hard on his wrists.

He needs to get the ball back without trying to belt the cover off it so much.

Sabratha
09-21-2012, 04:26 AM
He should try and adapt his playing style while he's still young, he's already had surgery once.

Rock Strongo
09-21-2012, 10:01 AM
He would need to stop using poly strings and switch to a flexier racquet. However, if he did those things he wouldn't be half the player he is today because he wouldn't be able to hit the ball as hard and keep it in and would also lose a lot of control. He knows this and that's why he hasn't switched yet. He's sacrificing his wrists to be able to consistently crush the ball as much as he does. There's no free lunch.

In his defense, it already seems like he's using a flexier racquet. You see how he's still using his older K95 paintjobs? I read somewhere around here that he only has two of them, so obviously he's got to like them as they're more flexed out.

In your defense, I think they should all be playing with derivatives of the Max 200G because then we would see both massive power and massive feel.

dr325i
09-21-2012, 10:10 AM

Thoughts?

Was he ever ranked in the top 3???

Mainad
09-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Was he ever ranked in the top 3???

Actually no. His highest ever ranking was #4.