PDA

View Full Version : Milos Raonic: The most overrated player?

Paullaconte1
09-19-2012, 04:52 PM
I was stunned by the fact that they have named the central court in Toronto after him. Now I see everybody talking about Raonic like a big threat for Spain.

http://london.tennistonic.com/pg/tennis/view_tennisnews?nid=1267&/2013-Davis-Cup-Draws:-Spain-gets-Raonic.-Federer-vs-Berdych-a-prospect
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010wintergames/Canada+host+ranked+Spain+first+round+Davis+World+G roup/7266283/story.html

I mean, he is a good player, a bit boring as he is the good copy of Karlovic, but he hasn't achieved anything. He always go and play majors as he will be the next one and then he always lose a bad match somewhere.

I understand that everybody is waiting/craving for the next big one after the big 3 (sorry, the big 4), are people too optimistic about him?

Carsomyr
09-19-2012, 04:58 PM
I was stunned by the fact that they have named the central court in Toronto after him. Now I see everybody talking about Raonic like a big threat for Spain.

It's not the main court, it's the grand stand. Also, the name changes every so often to honor other Canadian tennis players.

90's Clay
09-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Decent player.. But missing a lot.. Especially in the movement and speed department.. But generally, you have those things or you don't. I think the guy is just too slow in the movement department.. So unless he develops some bully baseline mentality ala Agassi to follow up that serve, I dont see him doing anything

Bhagi Katbamna
09-19-2012, 04:59 PM
No, he isn't overrated at all. He has to game to win big if he can stabilize himself mentally so he doesn't have an off day in the majors.

kishnabe
09-19-2012, 05:14 PM
OMFG.....Rogers Cup named their Centre Court after Milos :lol:. At least wait till he at the end of his career to do this.

Not even Basel Centre Court is named after Federer or Madrid Centre court after Rafa.

I agree Milos is overrated....just another Isner/Queerey/Cilic/Karlovic....etc. It just that Canada never had a great player....so a decent serving machne is overhyped here. South Africa tie just inflated it to severe levels.

Can't wait to see Spain serve some Humble Pie to Milosh....though I want Canada to win/

Shaolin
09-19-2012, 05:53 PM

http://london.tennistonic.com/pg/tennis/view_tennisnews?nid=1267&/2013-Davis-Cup-Draws:-Spain-gets-Raonic.-Federer-vs-Berdych-a-prospect
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010wintergames/Canada+host+ranked+Spain+first+round+Davis+World+G roup/7266283/story.html

I mean, he is a good player, a bit boring as he is the good copy of Karlovic, but he hasn't achieved anything. He always go and play majors as he will be the next one and then he always lose a bad match somewhere.

I understand that everybody is waiting/craving for the next big one after the big 3 (sorry, the big 4), are people too optimistic about him?

I find it terrible that they named center court after him but to call him a copy of Karlovic is pretty stupid. The guy has infinitely more game/potential than Karlovic.

cc0509
09-19-2012, 05:58 PM
He has a long way to go in order to win a slam but he is easily the best out of the young generation, better than Tomic, Dimitrov, Harrison ,etc and for sure more together mentally than any of those other flakes. If he can minimize his UE's and get more consistent with his groundstrokes he will be a dangerous player who has potential.

Headshotterer
09-19-2012, 06:05 PM
He got trashed by Murray in the USO by his "trick shots"

Rjtennis
09-19-2012, 07:16 PM
He has a lot to work on, but the guy does have nice upside. He is twice the player Isner/Ivo are from the baseline and moves much better than those two. Murray really exposed his weaknesses, but he's young and has time to improve.

jamesblakefan#1
09-19-2012, 07:22 PM
OP needs to tell the full story - it's the Grandstand, not Centre Court, and the name changes to honor a certain Canadian player every year. I believe it was Rebecca Marino Court one year.

With Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal missing, the Rogers Cup in Toronto is banking on the presence of Raonic, an area native from Thornhill, Ontario. He's the subject of posters and commercials, and even the tournament's second stadium court has been named the "Milos Raonic Grandstand." Such honors are usually reserved for retired stars, not young players on the rise.

"It's done through a sponsor, it's not because of me," Raonic told the ATP with an embarrassed smile, admitting that "I've been getting a little bit of heckling from the players in the locker room."

The court is supposed to sport the name of various Canadian players each year and has been named after Daniel Nestor in the past. Now it's Raonic's turn, just another sign of his ubiquitous presence on the grounds this week.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8242587/tennis-all-milos-raonic-week-toronto-masters

Paul Murphy
09-19-2012, 07:36 PM
He's better than Karlovic in one key aspect - he's got a big forehand to go with that serve of his.
If he can improve his movement he'll be hugely dangerous - a player opponents don't want to see on the other side of the draw,

WhiskeyEE
09-19-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm sick of hearing about the guy. They need to stop shoving Milos and his child bearing hips of peace down our throats.

Paullaconte1
09-19-2012, 07:39 PM
He has a long way to go in order to win a slam but he is easily the best out of the young generation, better than Tomic, Dimitrov, Harrison ,etc and for sure more together mentally than any of those other flakes. If he can minimize his UE's and get more consistent with his groundstrokes he will be a dangerous player who has potential.

Yes he is currently the best of his generation that doesn't seem as strong as Roger's and Rafa's. Personally I would love players like Tomic and Dimitrov to step up as we need a bit more "artists" in the game.

At least this is my wishful thinking.:shock:

Vlad_C
09-19-2012, 07:44 PM
OP needs to tell the full story - it's the Grandstand, not Centre Court, and the name changes to honor a certain Canadian player every year. I believe it was Rebecca Marino Court one year.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8242587/tennis-all-milos-raonic-week-toronto-masters

LOL... OP got owned!

Besides, Raonic is not overrated. I had never heard of anyone expecting him to be one of the big 3 (4, whatever).
It just happens that he is 22yo, ranked 15 in the world, and the best singles player Canada has had in a long time (maybe ever, I don't know).
At this point, he is generally expected to make it in the top 10, sooner or later.
I don't see how any of that would make him overrated.

Paul Murphy
09-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Personally I would love players like Tomic and Dimitrov to step up as we need a bit more "artists" in the game.

At least this is my wishful thinking.:shock:

Agreed.
We see plenty of the big serve/big forehand combo.
Some variety is always welcome.

WhiskeyEE
09-19-2012, 08:02 PM
LOL... OP got owned!

Besides, Raonic is not overrated. I had never heard of anyone expecting him to be one of the big 3 (4, whatever).
It just happens that he is 22yo, ranked 15 in the world, and the best singles player Canada has had in a long time (maybe ever, I don't know).
At this point, he is generally expected to make it in the top 10, sooner or later.
I don't see how any of that would make him overrated.

Greg "The Traitor" Rusedski is the greatest Canadian player of all time.

Fedex
09-20-2012, 12:25 AM
OMFG.....Rogers Cup named their Centre Court after Milos :lol:. At least wait till he at the end of his career to do this.

Not even Basel Centre Court is named after Federer or Madrid Centre court after Rafa.

I agree Milos is overrated....just another Isner/Queerey/Cilic/Karlovic....etc. It just that Canada never had a great player....so a decent serving machne is overhyped here. South Africa tie just inflated it to severe levels.

Can't wait to see Spain serve some Humble Pie to Milosh....though I want Canada to win/

Murray got a post box named after him.

Raonic is a great player. And will prove so in the future.
He's not just a serve machine and was beaten by the eventual USO champion and gets dogs abuse for it. Before the Murray match he was the best thing since sliced bread which was also an over reaction.

The current anti Raonic stuff here is over the top although naming a stadium after him is very premature.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-20-2012, 12:45 AM
If this is all the newest generation has to offer, then we'd better enjoy Nadal-Djokovic while it lasts.

syc23
09-20-2012, 12:51 AM
He has slam winning potential but Murray really showed him who was boss after he started to get a handle/read on his serving pattern and exposed his weak BH and lateral movement to his FH side.

Until he improves the above, every top player will apply the above tactics just as Murray did.

And yes, it's a bit early to be naming courts after him.

Paul Murphy
09-20-2012, 12:54 AM
I enjoyed watching Hewitt work him out and then beat him pretty easily at the AO this year.
But then again I've always enjoyed watching great returners take down great servers.

Sabratha
09-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Tomic is nearly as hyped up as Raonic.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Tomic is nearly as hyped up as Raonic.

And he should be more hyped than Raonic. Even the most astute tennis observer can see that winning 7 matches (virtually winning Wimbledon) to get to the QF stage as a qualifier, then pushing Djokovic to 4 tight sets, is far more impressive than anything Raonic has accomplished.

Bjorn99
09-20-2012, 01:36 AM
There is something very unlikeable about Raonic. Cannot put my finger on it, other than he looks like a human spider, dresses almost as bad as Fish, and moves well for a big man, but essentially, is hard on the eyes, for someone who has been spoiled by the movement of Nadal, Murray, Federer and the like.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-20-2012, 01:38 AM
There is something very unlikeable about Raonic. Cannot put my finger on it, other than he looks like a human spider, dresses almost as bad as Fish, and moves well for a big man, but essentially, is hard on the eyes, for someone who has been spoiled by the movement of Nadal, Murray, Federer and the like.

He's just another big server with an even worse game than Isner. Absolutely no talent at all.

Fedex
09-20-2012, 02:09 AM
I enjoyed watching Hewitt work him out and then beat him pretty easily at the AO this year.
But then again I've always enjoyed watching great returners take down great servers.

Hewitt is a legend.

Paul Murphy
09-20-2012, 03:03 AM
Hewitt is a legend.

Never has a truer word been spoken. :)

davced1
09-20-2012, 04:00 AM
He is not overrated. Remember that he is not even 22 yet. He already have the biggest serve in the game and a big forehand. He will probably be a top 10 player for many years to come.

Roddick85
09-20-2012, 04:22 AM
You gotta understand, we never had a player in Canada that was ranked that high. Add also the fact that tennis isn't very big in Canada and that the average Canadian isn't very knowledgeable about tennis. When people hear his name in the news, they think he's the future GOAT.

His name is becoming synonymous with tennis, just when I talk to my colleagues or friends/family about my love for playing and watching tennis, they all say the same thing : "You must really like Raonic", "Oh Raonic, he's the future of this sport", this is all coming from people who think the US Open is the first slam of the year and that Wimbledon is played indoor at the O2 :P They all act very shocked when I tell them that Raonic is just an overrated youngster with an impressive serve, who cannot return serve and that his groundstrokes are way below average.

To answer the OP's question, yeah I think he's very overrated along with Tomic. In Tomic's case, I think he's got even less talent than Raonic. Until Raonic learns how to return a serve effectively and his groundstrokes get better, he will remain overrated in my book.

batz
09-20-2012, 04:31 AM
Hewitt is a legend.

A living one. Best competitor I've ever seen.

tacou
09-20-2012, 04:33 AM
THEY NAMED A COURT AFTER HIM? That is embarrassing. Let's rename Arthur Ashe "Isner Court" since he's our new #1....

Milos is overrated but not undeservedly so. There are huge holes in his game, but he has plenty of time to fix them and become a slam contender in 3-4 years.

However the reason he is overrated is plenty of guys have huge holes in their games that never get fixed. Milos could win a slam or never improve his return game and remain a perennial top 15 player...really nothing more to say

Fedex
09-20-2012, 05:38 AM
A living one. Best competitor I've ever seen.

I often wonder if Hewitt has that physical disability, or you could say ability, where a part of the brain has shut off all pain receptors.

batz
09-20-2012, 05:41 AM
I often wonder if Hewitt has that physical disability, or you could say ability, where a part of the brain has shut off all pain receptors.

You mean like former Dundee player John Brown who once played on for 30 minutes after snapping his achilles tendon?:shock:

Fedex
09-20-2012, 05:44 AM
You mean like former Dundee player John Brown who once played on for 30 minutes after snapping his achilles tendon?:shock:

John Brown. That was some player.
They don't make them like that anymore.
Didn't he move onto Rangers and did really well for them too?

batz
09-20-2012, 05:45 AM
John Brown. That was some player.
They don't make them like that anymore.
Didn't he move onto Rangers and did really well for them too?

Indeed he did. Like you say - they simply don't make them like Bomber anymore.

Fedex
09-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Indeed he did. Like you say - they simply don't make them like Bomber anymore.

Here's a wee sample. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_plMAjOxqWQ

batz
09-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Here's a wee sample. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_plMAjOxqWQ

:) Magic! A proper fitba player.

Rock Strongo
09-20-2012, 05:58 AM
Good player, yes (kind of my new favorite player). Overrated, yes. However, I will blaspheme and call Nalbandian even more overrated.

Danny_G13
09-20-2012, 06:38 AM
:) Magic! A proper fitba player.

Magnificent player in his day, blowhard fool in his middle age.

Danny_G13
09-20-2012, 06:39 AM
As for Raonic, at least he has a cute GF and she has a whole 500 followers on Twitter. Last I checked.

Mainad
09-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Greg "The Traitor" Rusedski is the greatest Canadian player of all time.

Not as great as Mary Pierce. Two-time GS champion! :wink:

batz
09-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Magnificent player in his day, blowhard fool in his middle age.

Yep. Great player though.

TheCanadian
09-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Depends what you mean by overrated. Is he top ten material? Absolutely. Will he win slams? Remains to be seen. He's got more going for him than Isner. In that sense, no he's not overrated. He's articulate and handsome, if indeed a bit boring but I personally don't find jerks entertaining.

TheCanadian
09-20-2012, 07:22 AM
It's really hard to be 6'5"and super fast. Let's get real. However, I'll take his wicked serve, thanks to his height, over speedy feet any freaking day!

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-20-2012, 07:24 AM
He's not overrated on these forums, if anything he's underrated. The only threads I ever see about him are threads like this one. Remember guys, he's still the top of his generation, even if his generation is sub-par.

batz
09-20-2012, 07:40 AM
He's not overrated on these forums, if anything he's underrated. The only threads I ever see about him are threads like this one. Remember guys, he's still the top of his generation, even if his generation is sub-par.

Some of it has been a bit 'hypey' mate:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=368482&highlight=raonic+wimbledon

No doubt that he is the leading contender among the young guns though.

Clarky21
09-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Depends what you mean by overrated. Is he top ten material? Absolutely. Will he win slams? Remains to be seen. He's got more going for him than Isner. In that sense, no he's not overrated. He's articulate and handsome, if indeed a bit boring but I personally don't find jerks entertaining.

:shock:

10:shock:

MarTennis
09-20-2012, 08:08 AM
as of today overrated. To me all he had to do to breakthrough already is train to be a superior returner. It is obvious that is still on his to do list. So yes, he is overrrated.

jrs
09-20-2012, 08:19 AM
He seems to want to play a like a short player - running around the back court retrieving balls. Although, his idol is Pete Sampras. In my opinion he should try to play like Sampras - but maybe it's not possible to play that type of tennis anymore.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-20-2012, 08:24 AM
:shock:

10:shock:

Agreed, when there are players like Nadal on tour, Raonic has no right to be called handsome.

RF20Lennon
09-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Agreed, when there are players like Nadal on tour, Raonic has no right to be called handsome.

I better agree or else there might be a lawsuit

RF20Lennon
09-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Raonic is decent needs to get better at the baseline though

decrepitude
09-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Murray got a post box named after him.

You sure of that? I haven't heard anything about it, or indeed of naming a postbox after anybody else either.

He has one in his old home town painted gold - as has EVERY GB gold medal winner.

WhiskeyEE
09-20-2012, 08:53 AM
It's really hard to be 6'5"and super fast. Let's get real. However, I'll take his wicked serve, thanks to his height, over speedy feet any freaking day!

usain bolt is 6'5". What you mean is it's hard to be 6'5" and super fast when you're built like an amazon woman.

Rock Strongo
09-20-2012, 11:45 AM

I don't think Nadal looks handsome, he just looks like someone who's trying to be all manly and instead looks like everyone takes him the opposite way. I don't know why, but I kind of like the way Raonic looks.

flyinghippos101
09-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Give it time, its only his second full year on tour.

Actually, it's his first full year on tour. Guy was out 6 months into the year and was out for the rest of the season bar a couple indoor tournys at the end of the season.

Raonic still has a long way to go. Movement and return game I feel has come a long way but still woeful compared to the rest of the top 10, which he's expected to compete with on a more regular basis now.

I t almost felt like mentally he's gotten worse since coming out of nowhere last year. Who else could forget those gutsy as hell 120 mph second serves at the beginning of the year against Ferrer or those clutch aces?

ruerooo
09-20-2012, 02:01 PM
How can he be overrated? He's 21, not 30.

Rafa was a complete prodigy, going pro at 16 and winning his first Slam at 19. Roger didn't hit win his first Slam till four years (five?) after he'd gone pro.

Why are people so impatient? :-?

hityellowball
09-20-2012, 02:14 PM
he's very good, it's just his movement and groundstrokes aren't at top 10 level yet, which is holding him back a little. That serve is something else though

TheCanadian
09-21-2012, 07:56 AM
usain bolt is 6'5". What you mean is it's hard to be 6'5" and super fast when you're built like an amazon woman.

Point taken. I probably should've said movement in general and quick change of directions (side to side and forward and back). I just haven't seen any really quick players who are this tall. He's not particularly quick.

Paul Murphy
09-21-2012, 06:13 PM

About time you and Rafa got a room I think. ;)

Bjorn99
09-22-2012, 02:53 AM
Raonics serve is insane though. Like Sampras, he can, if he stays healthy, make millions and millions of dollars off of it. Just working on hurting his opponent with it all the time, and learning variance of speed and spin and location, to drive the returner, bat **** crazy.

But the rest of him, meh, nothing that I would pay to see.

And handsome? Wow, that is in the eyes of the beholder I suppose.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 03:05 AM
About time you and Rafa got a room I think. ;)

Sorry, I think Nadal is generally considered more handsome than Raonic by the world, since Nadal did underwear modelling for Armani and was very successful at it (I've seen lots of his photos in multiple places), whereas Raonic will likely never do underwear modelling, since he doesn't have the same physical attributes and manliness that Rafael Nadal has.

Paul Murphy
09-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Sorry, I think Nadal is generally considered more handsome than Raonic by the world, since Nadal did underwear modelling for Armani and was very successful at it (I've seen lots of his photos in multiple places), whereas Raonic will likely never do underwear modelling, since he doesn't have the same physical attributes and manliness that Rafael Nadal has.

All that sexual tension for you - but nowhere for it to go.
Must be hard. :)

Fedex
09-23-2012, 02:26 AM
All that sexual tension for you - but nowhere for it to go.
Must be hard. :)

Can imagine a lot of hard bashing on keyboards.
Maybe he should join the army or the navy.

Marius_Hancu
09-23-2012, 03:12 AM
Sorry, I think Nadal is generally considered more handsome than Raonic by the world, since Nadal did underwear modelling for Armani and was very successful at it (I've seen lots of his photos in multiple places), whereas Raonic will likely never do underwear modelling, since he doesn't have the same physical attributes and manliness that Rafael Nadal has.The only reason Nadal did underwear is his propensity to scratch same and thus emphasize it :-) Not everyone is that good at it.

Think Rosol: that was a very unmanly Nadal.

NadalAgassi
09-23-2012, 10:36 AM
He is overrated because:

1. He is Canadian and for Canadian standards he is such a high level player that Canadians are excited to have someone with even his potential, even if for another country it wouldnt be that much.

2. He is probably the best player of his age group at a time the up and coming group is the worst and most unpromising in history.

I do agree he is vastly overrated btw. I still remember during the clay season a few of the village idiots on this forum like monfed whining that Nadal avoided Raonic in the draw on CLAY, ROTFL!!!!!!!!

kishnabe
09-23-2012, 12:00 PM
He is overrated because:

1. He is Canadian and for Canadian standards he is such a high level player that Canadians are excited to have someone with even his potential, even if for another country it wouldnt be that much.

2. He is probably the best player of his age group at a time the up and coming group is the worst and most unpromising in history.

I do agree he is vastly overrated btw. I still remember during the clay season a few of the village idiots on this forum like monfed whining that Nadal avoided Raonic in the draw on CLAY, ROTFL!!!!!!!!

:lol:....I think they were joking like how Raonic would win Wimbledon 2011 and 2012.

veroniquem
09-23-2012, 12:08 PM
He is overrated because:

Good arguments. About the "up and coming" group of players being at an all time low, this year so far (and we're like 2 months away from year end) Raonic is the ONLY player under age 23 to have won a title (and I'm not saying a big one, just ANY title). I think that gives a pretty good idea about the "crossing of the desert" of the 18 to 22 age group in current ATP, a group that traditionally had done pretty well in the past. I hope this is a temporary phase, otherwise the future of tennis as a pro sport looks rather bleak.

tacou
09-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Good arguments. About the "up and coming" group of players being at an all time low, this year so far (and we're like 2 months away from year end) Raonic is the ONLY player under age 23 to have won a title (and I'm not saying a big one, just ANY title). I think that gives a pretty good idea about the "crossing of the desert" of the 18 to 22 age group in current ATP, a group that traditionally had done pretty well in the past. I hope this is a temporary phase, otherwise the future of tennis as a pro sport looks rather bleak.

I was thinking the same thing, and still do mostly, but I think the nature of the game is becoming much more physical. Guys like Roanic, Harrison, Tomic and especially the teenagers still have a lot of growing to do/hours at the gym to put in.

I think the current state of tennis--racket technology, slower surfaces, etc.--favors a more physically mature player more so than in the past.

veroniquem
09-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Yes, that's true. The good thing is that current players in their mid-twenties are doing well but I don't see any major change in either surfaces or racket technology since the Nadal/Djoko/Murray/Berd/etc guys came up and all of those guys were winning titles long before 23.

Bjorn99
09-23-2012, 05:09 PM
The future of tennis is guys like Andy Murray. Or Stepanek WITH a forehand. Big, physically strong men. Not guys that will break like Djokovic.

atptennis
01-21-2013, 08:38 AM
BUMP.

He was seen as a tough customer in Fed's draw. But was actually a weak link.

People here are talking of him like the Next Big Thing, or like the next one to break through; but IMHO, Tomic has a greater chance with his all round all court game, as against the one dimensional game of Raonic.

Honestly, What is with all the Raonic hype.
Comments?

djokovic2008
01-21-2013, 08:45 AM
You've got to feel for raonic i mean what do you do? Your a young kid with a massive match against fed in a grand slam you have got to have a go even if your injured and will be called average by tt posters.

Fedex
01-21-2013, 09:07 AM
BUMP.

He was seen as a tough customer in Fed's draw. But was actually a weak link.

People here are talking of him like the Next Big Thing, or like the next one to break through; but IMHO, Tomic has a greater chance with his all round all court game, as against the one dimensional game of Raonic.

Honestly, What is with all the Raonic hype.
Comments?

The guy could hardly walk before the match. Jeeez!!!

rev200g
01-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Hmmm....Let's see, he has won 3 ATP titles so far and he been a finalist to 3 other ATP events. Tomic's has won 1 ATP title and has never been a finalist in any other event. Dimitrov has not won a title yet but has been a finalist once. Irregardless of their playing styles, strengths and weaknesses the results above speaks for itself.

I do think that Nishikori and Dolgopolov will break top 10 before Raonic.

I think he still has a way to go with his ground and return game especially against the top 10 but he is only 22 as many has pointed out.

My 2 canadian cents. :)

World Beater
01-21-2013, 09:08 AM
raonic will prove the haters wrong soon enough.

he definitely has potential to be as good or possibly better than ivanisevic.

He is already better in the head than goran by some distance.

Cup8489
01-21-2013, 09:11 AM
how long is nishikori going to be hyped? it's been four years.. he's not gonna do anything.

90's Clay
01-21-2013, 09:16 AM
The guy is downright awful. He moves the court like a drunk on ice skates.

winstonplum
01-21-2013, 09:17 AM
The only places these players are over-hyped is on boards like these. Out in the real tennis world, they're considered good, young players, but asking them to beat any of the top four in a slam is a huge ask. I always laugh when people here starting wetting themselves with the "incredibly tough Fed draw" hyperbole. Right. The tough Fed draw starts when he plays Murray in the semis. Tomic, Davey, Raonic--yeah, good players, but for them to beat Fed in best of 5 they would have to GOAT redline for three sets. You know how often that happens? Like, never.

The Bawss
01-21-2013, 09:21 AM
The only places these players are over-hyped is on boards like these. Out in the real tennis world, they're considered good, young players, but asking them to beat any of the top four in a slam is a huge ask. I always laugh when people here starting wetting themselves with the "incredibly tough Fed draw" hyperbole. Right. The tough Fed draw starts when he plays Murray in the semis. Tomic, Davey, Raonic--yeah, good players, but for them to beat Fed in best of 5 they would have to GOAT redline for three sets. You know how often that happens? Like, never.

Wawrinka nearly did it yesterday.

winstonplum
01-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Wawrinka nearly did it yesterday.

"Nearly" would be the operative word there. It's one thing to do it in the beginning of the match and the middle of the match-- just ask Falla and Benneteau. It's another to do it when the magnetic line, as Agassi called the finish, is both pulling you and repelling you. The tightness these players experience who realize they are on the brink of the biggest win of their career must be breath-taking. None of us will ever know. Rosol being the exception--somehow experiencing catatonic GOATness right to the end.

tmc5005
01-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Raonic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milos_Raonic) has the best ground strokes of the big men with really big serves. He is the defending champion at San Jose (http://protennisticket.com/atp-wta-tour/san-jose-ca/)which will be replayed this Febuary 11 we will know more after that tournament. Here is the 2012 draw (http://www.sapopentennis.com/ftpuploads/MDS.pdf), he had wins over Kevin Anderson and Ryan Harrison.

Mick3391
01-29-2013, 11:41 AM

I don't know, his serve is incredible, and movement I think is underrated. He has a nice soft touch at the net.

If you watch the Fed match again, Fed had to play 100%, never allow for a break, or he would have lost.

He looks like a huge 12 year old, we'll see after more development, but I thought he looked great, we'll see. I don't know anyone overrating him, just putting him down.

edmondsm
01-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Decent player.. But missing a lot.. Especially in the movement and speed department.. But generally, you have those things or you don't. I think the guy is just too slow in the movement department.. So unless he develops some bully baseline mentality ala Agassi to follow up that serve, I dont see him doing anything

Agreed. Today's game is all about movement and he just doesn't have it. Brad Gilbert has been deluding himself that Raonic is going to make a big surge for a while. A 155 serve doesn't mean what it used to. Lots of guys can control that now.

Ico
01-29-2013, 11:44 AM
If Raonic is the future, this sport is dead.

edmondsm
01-29-2013, 11:45 AM
I don't know, his serve is incredible, and movement I think is underrated. He has a nice soft touch at the net.

If you watch the Fed match again, Fed had to play 100%, never allow for a break, or he would have lost.

He looks like a huge 12 year old, we'll see after more development, but I thought he looked great, we'll see. I don't know anyone overrating him, just putting him down.

Eh? He broke Raonic 3 times.

6-1 6-3 6-0
01-29-2013, 11:46 AM
If Raonic is the future, this sport is dead.

I don't think Raonic alone will be the future. If Nadal can keep playing on tour into his thirties, then he can still win RolandGarros each year and continue to be the most long-lasting player in world history (by winning one slam per year for a WEIRD number of years). And if Raonic's body breaks down or he retires early, then Nadal will have outlasted Raonic, and Nadal will still be the future of tennis. :-P

pound cat
01-29-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't think Raonic alone will be the future. If Nadal can keep playing on tour into his thirties, then he can still win RolandGarros each year and continue to be the most long-lasting player in world history (by winning one slam per year for a WEIRD number of years). And if Raonic's body breaks down or he retires early, then Nadal will have outlasted Raonic, and Nadal will still be the future of tennis. :-P

And if Roger plays into his 40's the current top players will have retired and Fed shoud have no trouble in winining lots of slams against the current crop of lacklustre players. More records to be set in old age, Roger!

Masayoshi
01-30-2013, 12:52 AM
And if Roger plays into his 40's the current top players will have retired and Fed shoud have no trouble in winining lots of slams against the current crop of lacklustre players. More records to be set in old age, Roger!

And if Laver comes out of retirement in his 80's, the GOAT question can be settled once and for all!

atptennis
05-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Tennis was saved today.