PDA

View Full Version : One of the biggest kick serves I've ever seen...

Newby
09-19-2012, 08:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fB4Dqas-rIM#t=157s

Surprisingly it's on grass and by Rampras (of all people). Funny because I never thought of him as a guy with such an effective kicker. He hits another big one right after that one and check out the serve at 0:22 as well. Baker and Delic are having such a hard time returning it and even comment on the outrageous bounce at one point.

Only other people who I've seen kick it this high are Karlovic and Isner.

Say Chi Sin Lo
09-19-2012, 09:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fB4Dqas-rIM#t=157s

Surprisingly it's on grass and by Rampras (of all people). Funny because I never thought of him as a guy with such an effective kicker. He hits another big one right after that one and check out the serve at 0:22 as well. Baker and Delic are having such a hard time returning it and even comment on the outrageous bounce at one point.

Only other people who I've seen kick it this high are Karlovic and Isner.

You need to watch some clips of Patrick Rafter, Pete Sampras, Goran Ivanisevic, and even Tim Henman. Patrick Rafter in particular, kick serves like that one was automatic for him. And that's all before the polyester craze.

GoaLaSSo
09-19-2012, 09:14 PM
These do look like big kick serves, but I think they look a bit higher than they are due to the height (and maybe distance) to the wall.

Bobby Jr
09-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Given how he's not swinging at 100% that first one looks like it was kicked up a lot by a bad bounce. On grass that bad almost every shot bounces either more or less than normal. If you saw the whole session my bet is you'd see a pile of serves which hardly bounced at all.

>> Some of the serves earlier in the video bounce poorly.

jokinla
09-19-2012, 10:38 PM
You need to watch some clips of Patrick Rafter, Pete Sampras, Goran Ivanisevic, and even Tim Henman. Patrick Rafter in particular, kick serves like that one was automatic for him. And that's all before the polyester craze.

Add Stefan Edberg to this list. And Boris Becker.

DNShade
09-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Crappy chewed up Nottingham grass practice courts accounts for the bad bounces and extra height.

Zarfot Z
09-19-2012, 11:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QZQe-B4cNI

kOaMaster
09-20-2012, 02:43 AM
I prefer this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM1P2ej4YtY

;)

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-20-2012, 02:46 AM
Nadal is also good at kick serves-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbzWGSAokg

kOaMaster
09-20-2012, 02:49 AM
Nadal is also good at kick serves-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbzWGSAokg

I think this is the same case as in the opening posting - a very bad court ;)

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-20-2012, 02:50 AM
I think this is the same case as in the opening posting - a very bad court ;)

That's probably the case, but it being a good kick serve plays an important role in how high it bounces too.

merwy
09-20-2012, 02:55 AM
It doesn't even look like he really kicks it.. Must be a bad bounce. The two links posted of Federer are much better in my opinion.

Andres
09-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Given how he's not swinging at 100% that first one looks like it was kicked up a lot by a bad bounce. On grass that bad almost every shot bounces either more or less than normal. If you saw the whole session my bet is you'd see a pile of serves which hardly bounced at all.

>> Some of the serves earlier in the video bounce poorly.
On grass, bad bounces mean really low bounces. As a surface, grass won't give you a higher bad bounce. It's not like clay.

You won't see kickserves getting their spin exacerbated because of the surface. What you COULD get, is an exagerated lateral twist, meaning it could break a lot more to the left/right because of the bounce, but not kick up higher.

That's what's more impressive about that serve.

The Bawss
09-20-2012, 08:48 AM
That Ram serve was silly, but as others have said it was almost for sure a bad bounce, not surprising considering those courts are crap. Kick serves will always be more impressive on hardcourts.

Magnetite
09-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Definitely a bad bounce on some of those .. lol.

Andres is completely out to lunch. Exaggerated lateral twist?

LOL.

Shaolin
09-20-2012, 09:42 AM
On grass, bad bounces mean really low bounces. As a surface, grass won't give you a higher bad bounce. It's not like clay.

You won't see kickserves getting their spin exacerbated because of the surface. What you COULD get, is an exagerated lateral twist, meaning it could break a lot more to the left/right because of the bounce, but not kick up higher.

I just played on a real grass court this summer and got quite a few high pop up bounces like those off the kick. If the ball hits a divot in the court it will jump up way higher than normal like you see with Ram's in the video.

BrooklynNY
09-20-2012, 09:45 AM
I just played on a real grass court this summer and got quite a few high pop up bounces like those off the kick. If the ball hits a divot in the court it will jump up way higher than normal like you see with Ram's in the video.

this.

It gives completely unpredictable bounces. Sometimes the ball might not bounce, sometimes it will kick it up, sometimes its a true bounce.

I have video of some guy hitting a monster kick serve on me at Forest Hills. It just jumped out 2 feet the left, and higher than any bounce of the day. No doubt it was mostly the sweet grass.

The Bawss
09-20-2012, 09:51 AM

You can get exaggerated high bounces, I have seen it myself.

Big_Dangerous
09-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Best serve I've ever seen, look at where Roddick is as he returns it, lmao!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTFX4ywbAgM

Bobby Jr
09-20-2012, 02:32 PM
:lol: How do you figue that out?

I've played on grass hundreds of times and bad bounces are just as easily high as they are low - big bounding bounces would be common judging by how utterly terrible condition those courts appear to be in. Small divots, uneven angles and soft patches in grass don't all face the same way so bounces can be affected in almost any direction.

DNShade
09-20-2012, 11:12 PM

Spoken as someone who hasn't played much if any on grass.

Grass courts - especially ones that have been played on a lot and are chewed up in places where there is just dirt and shoe prints and little chunks of turf -- give massively bad bounces that can produce HUGE jumping bounces even if it isn't a kick serve - even if it's isn't a serve -- happens on groundstrokes. It's like hitting a rock on a skateboard.

And yes -- I have played on grass courts quite a bit.

So please don't post something that you obviously don't know anything about. Someone might actually believe you.