PDA

View Full Version : Here's another practical solution to reduce the time span of ever lengthening matches

tusharlovesrafa
09-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Cureently there's a disturbing trend emerging in slams,where matches are easily going over 5 hours.In 80s and 90s this rarely happened,but due to advent of new technologies and improved athletism of the players,they are able to grind out our for longer periods..So here's my Solution:

1 Limit/Cap the number of RALLIES in Grandslams.
2 In Wimbledon Rallies should be restricted to 15 and 20 in other slams(AO,RG,USO).If rallies go over the aforesaid numbers,the Recieving player shall automatically be defaulted and the point shall be awarded to the person serving.

It will help in solving following purpose:
1 Due to improevement in Medical Science,the players fitness have imroved tremendously so they can grind out for longer period, and due to invention of Poly strings they are already getting an unfair advantage,so it will help in achieving a parity between the things.

2 Longer rallies have a cascading effect on the players,for example-if they play a 30 ball rally,firstly they take around 40-50 seconds for the rally itself and then they take nearly that much time to rest and to play the next point..

This coupled with the recent changes in rules if enforced properly will help in reducing the time span of matches..Just a thought Guys!:)

Prisoner of Birth
09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't quickening the surfaces be easier?

Zarfot Z
09-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Cureently there's a disturbing trend emerging in slams,where matches are easily going over 5 hours.In 80s and 90s this rarely happened,but due to advent of new technologies and improved athletism of the players,they are able to grind out our for longer periods..So here's my Solution:

2 In Wimbledon Rallies should be restricted to 15 and 20 in other slams(AO,RG,USO).If rallies go over the aforesaid numbers,the Recieving player shall automatically be defaulted and the point shall be awarded to the person serving.

1 Due to improevement in Medical Science,the players fitness have imroved tremendously so they can grind out for longer period, and due to invention of Poly strings they are already getting an unfair advantage,so it will help in achieving a parity between the things.

2 Longer rallies have a cascading effect on the players,for example-if they play a 30 ball rally,firstly they take around 40-50 seconds for the rally itself and then they take nearly that much time to rest and to play the next point..

This coupled with the recent changes in rules if enforced properly will help in reducing the time span of matches..Just a thought Guys!:)

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are just trolling.

tusharlovesrafa
09-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Wouldn't quickening the surfaces be easier?

Well,that would be,but do you really thing that they'll speed up the surfaces? I mean,if they really wanted to speed it up,they wouldn't have let the surface homogenized on the first place.

tusharlovesrafa
09-19-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are just trolling.

I know this sounds absurd,but hey you need to think out of the box at times.:)

Prisoner of Birth
09-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Well,that would be,but do you really thing that they'll speed up the surfaces? I mean,if they really wanted to speed it up,they wouldn't have let the surface homogenized on the first place.

That's true but by the same token wouldn't limiting rallies be counter-productive? They wouldn't do that, either.

tusharlovesrafa
09-19-2012, 10:48 PM
That's true but by the same token wouldn't limiting rallies be counter-productive? They wouldn't do that, either.

If the recieving player wants to the win the point,he'll have to go for bigger shots earlier in the rally instead of retreating back and slugging it out..

Prisoner of Birth
09-19-2012, 10:49 PM
If the recieving player wants to the win the point,he'll have to go for bigger shots earlier in the rally instead of retreating back and slugging it out..

No, I'm talking about the powers-that-be changing the rules and their motivation for it.

Bartelby
09-19-2012, 10:56 PM
A second deuce decider would shorten matches, but I'm not for it.

Another idea is a best of four games sets, rather than best of six, and that too is a way of shortening games.

Sentinel
09-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Actually I was interested in knowing what people think about the on-court coaching thing. During the USO, Jensen (or was it Dent) kept talking about how coaching would make matches more interesting and reduce the "chokes" or mental cramps players have. Quality would go up.

Bartelby
09-19-2012, 11:44 PM
The idea that the players alone have to work out a way to victory is quite appealing and the fact they have to think clearly while exerting themselves is also a skill.

A coach would take that away and simply add a bit of tv colour as we try to listen into what's being said.

Paul Murphy
09-19-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't see why matches need to be shortened.

sureshs
09-20-2012, 06:40 AM

But who can remember to count during a point? It is kind of strange to enforce this.

spot
09-20-2012, 06:41 AM
I'd prefer seeing best of 3 prosets for the men. I agree that its ridiculous to have a 5 hour match just to make the quarterfinals.

drakulie
09-20-2012, 06:51 AM
They should just play best of one set.

RF20Lennon
09-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Best to 4 points each serves twice

Sim
09-20-2012, 07:49 AM
IMO, a better solution is to have a time limit on 5 set matches. Any match over 4 hours and the higher seed advances. Yup. :)

jrs
09-20-2012, 08:14 AM
I think matches are taking so long because after every point players are going to the towel, go for a stroll to each ball kid - examine every ball, make their way back to court...return all the extra balls they have, bounce the ball for god knows how long and serve.....
cut all this out and game will go much faster.....or enforce the time limit between point...put 20 second timer on the court point better start this time or server looses the point!

Sentinel
09-20-2012, 10:31 AM
They should just play best of one set.

I think a coin toss should suffice. Make it best of 3 tosses to make it exciting. Along with slo-mo replays of the coin spinning and falling.

IMO, a better solution is to have a time limit on 5 set matches. Any match over 4 hours and the higher seed advances. Yup. :)

Then Nadal and Joker will lengthen each match in order to win :D

Sentinel
09-20-2012, 10:34 AM
The idea that the players alone have to work out a way to victory is quite appealing and the fact they have to think clearly while exerting themselves is also a skill.

A coach would take that away and simply add a bit of tv colour as we try to listen into what's being said.

True, but it seems most of them are not able to think clearly or come out with alt plans. e.g. imagine if Berdych could have spoken with his coach during the match, he might have got some tips on handling the wind.

Same for Joker in the final set of the final. A mix of encouragement and tactical advice could have made the final set more competitive.

DeShaun
09-20-2012, 10:46 AM
I suspect the slam organizers actually want longer matches because, it would seem, the longer that each match runs the more advert slots can be sold. The quality of tennis in terms of racket skills may have declined even while the general level of athleticism has improved, but the organizers really don't care about this qualitative stuff as much as maximizing their profits.

sureshs
09-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Best of 1 set, no ad scoring, and tie break limited to when someone gets to 7. No time for changeover, no use of towels permitted.

Prisoner of Birth
09-20-2012, 01:52 PM
I think a coin toss should suffice. Make it best of 3 tosses to make it exciting. Along with slo-mo replays of the coin spinning and falling.

I approve of this idea. But let's have 5 coin tosses in Grand Slams.

InspectorRacquet
09-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Quickening the surfaces is by far the best idea. Instead of changing the rules, or even how they are enforced, why not change an aspect of the game that is EXPECTED to change?

Variations in court surfaces are a natural part of the game. Making more tournaments have faster surfaces would shorten matches. The only problem is this: who stops Isner and Raonic if courts speed up?

rufus_smith
09-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Faster court speed would help some but what is really needed are low bounce conditions. Topspin would be less effective. Going to the net and dropshoting would work while standing two feet behind the baseline would be a mistake Either having slicker surfaces or putting a little less air pressure in the balls or slicker balls are some ways to get low bounce conditions.

Slayer
09-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm also for the quickening of courts.

Alternatively, enforcing the time limit will also mean that players won't have as much time to recover and if 2-3 long rallies are played, the next few that follow will undoubtedly be shorter.

slowfox
09-20-2012, 04:16 PM
My first reaction was like many others. Just speed up the surfaces.

My troll answer is to suggest the umpire randomly sound a loud buzzer in the middle of a rally, and the players then must go for a kill shot. The stadium can also blast some loud music when it's "kill time". Kinda like a bad futuristic gladiator movie...

Rui
09-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Instead of the server winning the time-limited points as OP suggests, shouldn't the receiver win the point. After all, the server has the advantage. If the receiver can stay in the point that long, he should get the point. Eh?

Bowtiesarecool
09-20-2012, 04:46 PM
What if they just eliminate the spectators. We could go back to the good old days when all you knew was what Wide World of Sports told you in a 15 min. recap.

Talker
09-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Actually I was interested in knowing what people think about the on-court coaching thing. During the USO, Jensen (or was it Dent) kept talking about how coaching would make matches more interesting and reduce the "chokes" or mental cramps players have. Quality would go up.

Worse announcer around and talked during points.

I like players to figure out for themselves what to do.

single_handed_champion
09-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Ooh, let me play too. How about......

We try to make the serve everything in tennis? Allow serving from anywhere in the court, any kind of serve (overhead, forehand, backhand), allow 3 serves instead of 2? Also points have to be won on either the serve or return. So cut down on rally length to 2.

I know... totally doable and the ATP/WTA will jump at the idea :roll:

okdude1992
09-20-2012, 08:52 PM
wtf??? i hope some people aren't serious. limit rallies? 4 game sets? time frame on matches? all terrible ideas. tennis is good the way it is. just add some more surface variety and we are good to go.

okdude1992
09-20-2012, 08:56 PM

yep. i said this in the worst commentator thread. glad someone agrees

Sentinel
09-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Absolutely, could not keep his trap shut. The other guy was pretty good, i think, Al Trautwig. Spoke very little. However, Jensen had him convinced by the end of USO that coaching should be allowed.

Sentinel
09-20-2012, 09:06 PM
I approve of this idea. But let's have 5 coin tosses in Grand Slams.

There you go again ... Ok ...
Let's settle for 5 tosses in slams but only in the semi and final rounds.

tusharlovesrafa
09-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Then Nadal and Joker will lengthen each match in order to win :D
LOL..Player with the most amount of spin on the coin will be declared the winner.
Quickening the surfaces is by far the best idea. Instead of changing the rules, or even how they are enforced, why not change an aspect of the game that is EXPECTED to change?

Variations in court surfaces are a natural part of the game. Making more tournaments have faster surfaces would shorten matches. The only problem is this: who stops Isner and Raonic if courts speed up?

Faster court speed would help some but what is really needed are low bounce conditions. Topspin would be less effective. Going to the net and dropshoting would work while standing two feet behind the baseline would be a mistake Either having slicker surfaces or putting a little less air pressure in the balls or slicker balls are some ways to get low bounce conditions.

Best suggestions so far.

sbengte
09-20-2012, 11:47 PM
LOL..Player with the most amount of spin on the coin will be declared the winner.

that would make ralph the undisputed goat.

Sentinel
09-20-2012, 11:50 PM

Won't less air pressure in the balls mean:

- slower movement through court/groundies, giving defenders more time to retrieve each ball

- slower serves, so longer rallies and more breaks, so longer sets.

Yes, the bounce will be lower encouraging dropshots and slices. I imagine points will end not due to winners, but dropshots or errors on handling a slice. I imagine people will use forehand slices or squash shots more than they do today.

What do you think ?

Vcore89
09-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Just enforce the 20-second rule, that's it. finito. Only injury time and hawkeye challenge can buy them some precious seconds. In this scenario, it shall be truly a survival of the fittest (which btw, Rafa is the fittest...well, he is injured now but he was indeed the fittest).

And yes, more grass less clay and and slow HC.

Oh, bring back Dennis Rodman, er, Rebound Ace.:)

MonfilsMadness
09-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Enforce the rules. Simple.

ricki
09-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Less towels, count net-touch serve as a good one. Thats enough. And more clay courts pls. not you have too much hardcourts - US open series, AO series, Fall... everthing is hardcourt. Bring in more clay.

PhrygianDominant
09-21-2012, 02:19 AM
1. More grass
2. Less clay
3. Lower Bounces
4. Enforce time limits between points

marpiw
09-21-2012, 05:32 AM
The ONLY WAY to shorten tennis matches is to abolish 5 setters and play only 3 setters with their corresponding tie-breaks no matter if the match is a first round or a final one...

BHud
09-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Easy fix..."no-add" scoring. It would add excitement plus shorten up games without affecting individual points.

jokinla
09-21-2012, 09:30 AM

How about instead of giving the point away, both players have to immediatley rush the net, so if the player knows 20 strokes have been hit, he knows his next shot has to be an approach, you could have a scoreboard for strokes, would be exciting. And also a separate scoreboard for a real inforced amount of time between points, and if the player goes over, it buzzes loudly and everyone knows he just defaulted that point.

SixBladeKnife
09-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Just make it 3 sets with no tie break in the 3rd.

beernutz
09-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Easy fix..."no-add" scoring. It would add excitement plus shorten up games without affecting individual points.

Best answer imo.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-21-2012, 10:19 AM
There doesn't need to be a reduction in the length of matches. The AO 2012 final between Nadal and Djokovic (Nadal lost a 7-5 fifth set and closed the mental gap between him and Djokovic, winning three consecutive matches against him thereafter) was one of the best matches I've ever seen.

dominikk1985
09-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Well if you make that kind of suggestions I will add another one:

Instead of the 5th set just have them fight it out in a bareknuckle fight:).

j/k of course, leave tennis like it is. I would however bring indoor carpet back and play wimby on real grass:).

OrangePower
09-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Just enforce the rules and limit to 20 / 25 secs between points.

People will say that this is unrealistic and unfair to players because they need more time after long rallies.

I say if time between points is enforced, it will force players to at times go for more earlier in the point to keep it short, because they will be gassed.

Enforce the rule and rallies will become shorter out of necessity.

pandatennis
09-22-2012, 12:02 AM
I think matches are taking so long because after every point players are going to the towel, go for a stroll to each ball kid - examine every ball, make their way back to court...return all the extra balls they have, bounce the ball for god knows how long and serve.....
cut all this out and game will go much faster.....or enforce the time limit between point...put 20 second timer on the court point better start this time or server looses the point!

great ideas.

fast paced games = big serves = boring games

slow courts = longer games = boring

tennis is not football or basketball - i think the format of tennis is for people to socialize and have fun. for example, you get two chances to serve (great for weekend warriors), you get to have breaks in between games (great for socializing and recovering), and etc.

my point is that the spirit of the game is kinda of mellow.

in a world where kids are taking new hallucinogens that kills them, the pace of tennis looks slow. but it may just survive because it has that "different pace" and socializing that people like. a little culture?

fps
09-22-2012, 02:46 AM
As others will have said, just enforce the rules as they already exist, players abuse the time between points like there's no tomorrow.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 03:08 AM
If rules like this get enforced in grand slams, I say boycott AO 2013.

firepanda
09-22-2012, 04:10 AM
This is a troll thread. Please tell me this is a troll thread.

@Pandatennis Nice username. I'm liking you already!

North
09-22-2012, 05:13 AM
Just enforce the rules and limit to 20 / 25 secs between points.

People will say that this is unrealistic and unfair to players because they need more time after long rallies.

I say if time between points is enforced, it will force players to at times go for more earlier in the point to keep it short, because they will be gassed.

Enforce the rule and rallies will become shorter out of necessity.

^^This. It doesn't involve changing rackets, strings, surfaces, etc (though I would like some of those changes) - just enforce the rule that's already there.

tusharlovesrafa
09-22-2012, 10:34 AM
This is a troll thread. Please tell me this is a troll thread.

@Pandatennis Nice username. I'm liking you already!

If you don't have anything substantial to post then please don;t post here.:twisted:

Sentinel
09-22-2012, 10:58 AM
If you don't have anything substantial to post then please don;t post here.:twisted:

"Ever lengthening matches" are leading to global warming which will result in an Ice Age very soon, if Rafa and Nole are not curbed. Something substantial has to be done asap.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 11:02 AM
There doesn't need to be a reduction in the length of matches. The AO 2012 final between Nadal and Djokovic (Nadal lost a 7-5 fifth set and closed the mental gap between him and Djokovic, winning three consecutive matches against him thereafter) was one of the best matches I've ever seen.

People lose interest if the matches go for too long I saw the whole final but I have friends who stopped watching and got bored and plus fast tennis IMO is more fun to see

tusharlovesrafa
09-22-2012, 11:02 AM
"Ever lengthening matches" are leading to global warming which will result in an Ice Age very soon, if Rafa and Nole are not curbed. Something substantial has to be done asap.

Roger's single drop of blood can cure global warming,world hunger,poverty,world economic crises and terrorism as claimed by the experts down here..