PDA

View Full Version : Is Monfils irritating?

sureshs
09-21-2012, 08:02 AM
I know crowds love him, but when I watched his win against Mahut yesterday, it seems that he was pushing it too far with his antics and bantering with the umpire and the crowd. It seemed to me from Mahut's expression that he was tolerating it because they are from the same country.

I have read something by JMac that though Mansoor Bahrami in the old days was a crowd pleaser with his antics, he couldn't stand him because of the distraction that he caused.

tacou
09-21-2012, 08:34 AM
He sure is. Maybe if he was maximizing his potential it'd be a little more tolerable, but the guy is such a waste of talent that his little acts are just embarassing

dman72
09-21-2012, 09:43 AM
It'd be nice if he calmned down a bit with the goofiness and took winning a major a bit more seriously.

Djokovic eased up on the clown aspect a bit and look where it's taken him. You can still have a sense of humor and have fun buy, but be a competitor.

sureshs
09-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Could it be that his antics are a psychological defense against losing? As in "I am so talented and want to entertain the crowd, and winning is not my priority"

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Could it be that his antics are a psychological defense against losing? As in "I am so talented and want to entertain the crowd, and winning is not my priority"

Possibly. Some people adopt the mentality of "I'm losing, better make up an excuse, like pretend that my game is that of a natural entertainer so I wasn't really intending to win anyway".

Sentinel
09-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Usain Bolt also likes to be a crowd-pleaser except that he *wins* while trying to make it look oh-so-easy.

sureshs
09-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Usain Bolt also likes to be a crowd-pleaser except that he *wins* while trying to make it look oh-so-easy.

But Usain does it in a more arrogant fashion. Monfils is not like that. He is more like a clown.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Only after he wins though. Usain Bolt doesn't run the 100m race in a fashion in a deliberately entertaining way.

monfed
09-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Monfils is entertaining. He matches Ralph and Djokovic with his gets sometimes.

Sabratha
09-21-2012, 04:30 PM
I think he's more interesting than anything else.

Paullaconte1
09-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Very talented, very entertaining and sometimes super irritating.

But he is good for tennis.

Much better the "I-can-serve-and-thats-it" players (Raonic, ISner and Karlovic) and boring baseliners (the list here is too long).

He gives the inspirations for this kind of stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGi5QMS7nwU

So ... it's fine

Paul Murphy
09-21-2012, 06:00 PM
I'd rather watch him when he's playing well than some of the bigger stars on the tour.
He's hugely talented and likes to show off.
Not a bad combination.

slowfox
09-21-2012, 06:36 PM
He gives the inspirations for this kind of stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGi5QMS7nwU

Whoa, some awesome shots.

gavna
09-21-2012, 06:44 PM
LaMonf is great for tennis and it's nice to see someone who enjoys getting on the court and playing. If you watched the match his "bantering" with the umpire was he fact the umpire was pretty sorry in controlling the fans who were using flash whilst the players were serving and moving and milling about as the players were in the middle of the points.

One LaMonf is worth a thousand sourpuss players like Murray or Almagro.

roundiesee
09-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Irritating yes, but also entertaining. I too like to watch him, especially when he attacks the net. Problem is he can also get very negative and defensive for some reason. Almost like Goran; you never know which Gael will show up.

Tony48
09-21-2012, 07:04 PM
It's only irritating if he misses an easy shot after doing something crazy.

veroniquem
09-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Yes, his play can be so erratic but he's a great shot maker and has tons of personality

Zarfot Z
09-23-2012, 11:19 PM
No, he's actually quite entertaining.

KineticChain
09-23-2012, 11:38 PM
I like his style, its good for tennis. His athleticism allows for casual tennis viewers to appreciate the sport as well as diminish the "rich white man's sport" stereotype. Monfils makes tennis look cool, and that's what we need to entice more young athletes into it.

smoledman
09-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Monfils is an entertaining clown.

smoledman
09-23-2012, 11:45 PM
I like his style, its good for tennis. His athleticism allows for casual tennis viewers to appreciate the sport as well as diminish the "rich white man's sport" stereotype. Monfils makes tennis look cool, and that's what we need to entice more young athletes into it.

True. Federer is too cool and makes everything look too effortless. The dirty masses can't identify with that.

Polvorin
09-24-2012, 12:17 AM
He's not good enough to be that cocky ;)

Gorecki
09-24-2012, 12:28 AM

there is not enough sinonyms of BS to reply to this post....

you just made a direect entry to the top 10 most delusional posters of this forum with a single post

TennisLovaLova
09-24-2012, 01:57 AM
last year in RG, his father litteraly said that his son was the next N1 and would annihilate federer in their next match because he owned federer in Bercy ( 3 tie breaks btw)...

I was watching this on french tv and thinking "wtf" and then Federer destroyed the clown in Q

KineticChain
09-24-2012, 10:19 PM
there is not enough sinonyms of BS to reply to this post....

you just made a direect entry to the top 10 most delusional posters of this forum with a single post

No need to call me delusional simply because you disagree. Maybe the discrepancy arises from the fact I'm speaking from an American standpoint. Tennis in the U.S., the mainstream perception of the sport is that it is a rich white man's sport and is wimpy/un-athletic. Players like Monfils, Nadal, Djokovic ect. make tennis more appealing to the casual American viewer because of their extreme athleticism. Your average non tennis fan cannot appreciate the skill players like Federer have because they have not been exposed enough to the sport to know what talent looks like. Of course, every once in a while Fed does the tweener and makes the front page of You/tube. Federer has the Tiger Woods effect on tennis.

Monfils is a showman and, like it or not, he attracts a fan-base to the sport that would normally never watch tennis. I know you don't like his antics, but try not to let your emotions get in the way of your reasoning.

FrisbeeFool
09-24-2012, 10:52 PM
I like the guy, I just think it's weird that he insists on camping out so far behind the baseline. Same for Gasquet. They could have the best technique in the world, but if they're always that far behind the baseline, they'll never be able to dictate play against the top guys and contend for majors.

morten
09-24-2012, 11:51 PM
very annoying, and his so called athletisism is more like a total waste of movement...

Gorecki
09-25-2012, 02:48 AM
No need to call me delusional simply because you disagree. Maybe the discrepancy arises from the fact I'm speaking from an American standpoint. Tennis in the U.S., the mainstream perception of the sport is that it is a rich white man's sport and is wimpy/un-athletic. Players like Monfils, Nadal, Djokovic ect. make tennis more appealing to the casual American viewer because of their extreme athleticism. Your average non tennis fan cannot appreciate the skill players like Federer have because they have not been exposed enough to the sport to know what talent looks like. Of course, every once in a while Fed does the tweener and makes the front page of You/tube. Federer has the Tiger Woods effect on tennis.

Monfils is a showman and, like it or not, he attracts a fan-base to the sport that would normally never watch tennis. I know you don't like his antics, but try not to let your emotions get in the way of your reasoning.

actually i think you completely lost my point and it has nothing to do with being american or european or with my emotions fwiw.

you present your opinions as unquestionable facts, and Mofils as some sort of contributing factor to the widening of Tennis audiences and that is not true, as it lacks data or any verifiable evidence.

afaik, no one who did not care for tennis before, started to care after seeing Monfils - that is absolutely non-sense. if you were talking about Nadal, i would agree with that, as he did bring many mid-age housewifes to tennis forums.

in fact, apart form tennis geeks like you and me, monfils is quite unknown in the grand scheme of things!

and IMHO

he does nothing about the "rich white kid sport stereotype" (whatever that means....)
he does nothing to introduce coolness. if anything he induces extreme cheesiness, much like nadal...
he is not entertaining to my eyes
Monfils has nothing appealing to me.

however, i must apologize for my previous post, as it was hasty and somewhat rude. i believe we should agree to disagree to save this thread from flamewars!

kOaMaster
09-25-2012, 03:18 AM
I dislike monfils the most from all the field.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-25-2012, 03:20 AM
Monfils might be irritating to Federer, since Federer had 5 match points against him in Paris 2010 but failed to convert any. And Monfils won the match.

Paul Murphy
09-25-2012, 03:24 AM
Monfils might be irritating to Federer, since Federer had 5 match points against him in Paris 2010 but failed to convert any. And Monfils won the match.

I really enjoyed watching Monfils beat Rafa at Doha - straight sets too. :)

Paul Murphy
09-25-2012, 03:25 AM
I like the guy, I just think it's weird that he insists on camping out so far behind the baseline. Same for Gasquet. They could have the best technique in the world, but if they're always that far behind the baseline, they'll never be able to dictate play against the top guys and contend for majors.

Agreed. He needs to stand up.
One would think he'd have the reflxes/timing to do that.

TennisLovaLova
09-25-2012, 05:47 AM

Rafa was injured :-)

KineticChain
09-27-2012, 12:06 PM
actually i think you completely lost my point and it has nothing to do with being american or european or with my emotions fwiw.

you present your opinions as unquestionable facts, and Mofils as some sort of contributing factor to the widening of Tennis audiences and that is not true, as it lacks data or any verifiable evidence.

afaik, no one who did not care for tennis before, started to care after seeing Monfils - that is absolutely non-sense. if you were talking about Nadal, i would agree with that, as he did bring many mid-age housewifes to tennis forums.

in fact, apart form tennis geeks like you and me, monfils is quite unknown in the grand scheme of things!

and IMHO

he does nothing about the "rich white kid sport stereotype" (whatever that means....)
he does nothing to introduce coolness. if anything he induces extreme cheesiness, much like nadal...
he is not entertaining to my eyes
Monfils has nothing appealing to me.

however, i must apologize for my previous post, as it was hasty and somewhat rude. i believe we should agree to disagree to save this thread from flamewars!

Tennis does not have a large fan base other than the top 3 or 4 players, compared to other sports that is. Any new demographics that the sport can attract is good, imo. You're right, I did not include any evidence in my post in support of my views. I just thought it was obvious the effect a very athletic/talented black tennis player has on the black community. Think of it like Tiger Woods. The guy brought golf, an even more stereotypically unathletic rich man's sport, to the black community. He broke stereotype barriers that would otherwise still be here today. It doesn't take much Googling to verify that golf has become more popular in the black community.

Obviously Monfils, never being ranked above 8 in the world, has not gained as much media attention as Tiger. But I think he does attract some viewers that would normally not be in to tennis. Just go on you/tube and search monfils tributes and read the comments.
Regardless of how many fans he does or does not attract, I think he brings a unique persona and game style to the sport. I praise his showman attitude because it brings variety and entertainment. That's what sports are anyway, entertainment.

And about the coolness and rich-man stereotype thing, I guess that has more to do with your location and culture you're surrounded by.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-27-2012, 12:17 PM

Two tournaments Nadal doesn't usually aim to win are Doha and Queens, both ATP 250 tournaments. In 2011, he apologised for not giving his best effort against Tsonga in the final set. A slam follows both of these tournaments, and Nadal usually does very well in the slam that follows. (After losing to Monfils in Doha, beat Federer with the loss of a single 7-6 set at AO 2012 SF.)

jones101
09-27-2012, 12:26 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ayd9UMZ91rw4d4do1_250.gif

dangalak
09-27-2012, 12:31 PM

By god, if that wasn't the case....:|

NJ1
09-27-2012, 12:41 PM
I like Monfils and find him far more fun to watch than the likes of Isner. Will be pleased if/when he makes it back to the top 10.

TennisLovaLova
10-01-2012, 03:35 AM
I like Monfils and find him far more fun to watch than the likes of Isner. Will be pleased if/when he makes it back to the top 10.

He wont.
He's injured, again

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Monfils-forfait/316715

Rozroz
10-01-2012, 03:38 AM
He wont.
He's injured, again

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Monfils-forfait/316715

finally remembered your signature :)

Sentinel
10-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Has Monfils beaten Nadal lately, ... or ever in his life to be deemed irritating by sureshs :)

TennisLovaLova
10-01-2012, 06:22 AM
finally remembered your signature :)

Put the lotion in the fkin basket