PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite and worst periods in the tennis calendar?

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Obviously as a Rafa fan my favourite part of the tennis year is when the Clay season starts in earnest in April! Which part of the tennis year does everyone else like? The worst part of the year is now! when tennis has a general break!

Mustard
09-21-2012, 02:18 PM
My favourite is from early April to early July. My least favourite is mid-September to December.

sunof tennis
09-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Hate the clay season. Even with HD, you can't see the ball as well and the matches are even more of a grind fest. Like July through US Open

kaku
09-21-2012, 02:24 PM
As a Murray fan, clay season is always the most painfiul. Love watching Wimbledon to USO

monfed
09-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Worst - clay season(been the case since the 90s),claycourt tennis is just plain boring and a waste of time.

Best - Wimby to USO.

Unfortunately both AO and USO are not what they used to be,now its just about the dough.

90's Clay
09-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Used to be north american hard court seasons until they completely ruined the USO.

So its probably from January to May thereabouts now

the AO is probably the best slam, most enjoyable to slam to watch now.. A far cry from the days when Players didn't even want to play it.

tennis_pro
09-21-2012, 02:46 PM
1) The beginning of the season (warm-up to AO, AO, followed by Dubai/Rotterdam). Everyone is so keen to watch some tennis, they would love it even if it was played on mud.

2) Next probably, the indoor season. This is the only time when I can sit back and enjoy every minute as I don't have to worry about exams which I have during all the slams.

3) Indian Wells/Miami - it's more like a preparation for the clay season (the courts are really slow) than the end of the spring hard court season. Still like this part.

4) Canada/Cincinnati/US Open - It used to be my no 1 but for whatever reason I'm not a fan anymore.

Never been a fan of clay, even before Nadal started his domination. As for grass - well it's too short to call it a period in the calendar. Wimbledon used to be up there with the North American hard court season but has lost some of its prestige.

tennis_pro
09-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Used to be north american hard court seasons until they completely ruined the USO.

So its probably from January to May thereabouts now

the AO is probably the best slam, most enjoyable to slam to watch now.. A far cry from the days when Players didn't even want to play it.

Even though the surface used at the AO shouldn't be called a hard court, it's still my favorite major as well. Every player is so fresh and ready the go, they are likely to produce their best tennis thus higher quality matches.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-21-2012, 03:27 PM
It varies from year to year.

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:30 PM
It varies from year to year.

What have you enjoyed this year? I loved Rafa winning his 8th Monte Carlo and his 7th RG title. So proud of Rafa for these. Am also very proud of how Rafa fought hard in the AO final. He left all out there.

RF20Lennon
09-21-2012, 03:33 PM
I like Aussie To Miami. Wimby To USO absolutely love the indoor season! Ever since Sampras played! Dunno why i just love watching indoor tennis especially with the 02 Arena!

Homeboy Hotel
09-21-2012, 03:33 PM
The short period of Roland Garros - Queens - Wimbledon is great.

Ms Nadal
09-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Yes, Clay to Wimbledon is the best part of the year! As the momentum really builds and the tennis keeps on coming and the intensity is awesome!. The players are really in their rhythm.

Achilles82
09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Aus Open - Indian Wells - Miami

papertank
09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
For me the entire summer season is great with RG, Wimby and the american hardcourt season. I also really enjoy the clay season.

WhiskeyEE
09-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Worst - clay season(been the case since the 90s),claycourt tennis is just plain boring and a waste of time.

Best - Wimby to USO.

Unfortunately both AO and USO are not what they used to be,now its just about the dough.

this exactly.

MichaelNadal
09-21-2012, 04:33 PM
From IW to the end of Wimbledon. Lots of tournaments and 2 slams packed into that part of the year.

RF20Lennon
09-21-2012, 04:36 PM
The most boring is the clay court season for me because its really predictable plus its not easy for me to catch matches due to the time zone difference

Hood_Man
09-21-2012, 04:39 PM
To be really specific, my favourite period is Queens/Halle and Wimbledon because it's grass, it's in Britain*, and the BBC's coverage of Queens and Wimbledon is just fabulous.

My least favourite is Barcelona to Rome. Monte Carlo is great to watch as the change from Hard Court to clay is a very immediate contrast to the hard court season, both in terms of play and just the colour of the courts :p
Unfortunately I grow tired of clay tennis quite quickly, so once the novelty has worn off I lose interest until RG rolls round (Majors are always interesting!).

*I know Halle isn't in Britain but that sentence is just easier. I know I'll get called out for it though...

RF20Lennon
09-21-2012, 04:45 PM
To be really specific, my favourite period is Queens/Halle and Wimbledon because it's grass, it's in Britain, and the BBC's coverage of Queens and Wimbledon is just fabulous.

My least favourite is Barcelona to Rome. Monte Carlo is great to watch as the change from Hard Court to clay is a very immediate contrast to the hard court season, both in terms of play and just the colour of the courts :p
Unfortunately I grow tired of clay tennis quite quickly, so once the novelty has worn off I lose interest until RG rolls round (Majors are always interesting!).

even though i dont live in Britain i still love watching Wimby my fav major!

Mustard
09-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Tennis should be played on clay and grass a lot more often, carpet too. There's way too many hardcourts.

Hood_Man
09-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Tennis should be played on clay and grass a lot more often, carpet too. There's way too many hardcourts.

I'd like to see carpet again, but I actually like the lack of grass court tennis. It makes it all the more special when Queens comes round every year.

Absence making the heart grow fonder, and all that jazz :)

Mustard
09-21-2012, 06:03 PM
I remember the 2003 Davis Cup final between Australia and Spain was held at the Rod Laver Arena on a grass-court. I think perhaps the Australian Open should be played on grass, as should the other warm-up tournaments before it. Also, the post-US Open period should have a lot of indoor carpet rather than indoor/outdoor hardcourt.

Less hardcourts = Longer careers for players

Paul Murphy
09-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Hate the clay season. Even with HD, you can't see the ball as well and the matches are even more of a grind fest. Like July through US Open

Absolutely agree.
They should keep working on that blue clay until they get it right.

Paul Murphy
09-21-2012, 07:09 PM
The USO series followed by the AO are the best.
The worst is a tough one - clay is my least favourite surface but the period after the USO is often marred by injuries, tired players.
It's saved a little by Paris and the WTF.

westside
09-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Love January. One of the few times of the year where I can watch tennis without messing up my body clock :D

kishnabe
09-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Australian open courts always make me smile....I can live with reruns of any final on that court.

I live the Start of he Season and Grass Season.

I don't like the clay season and Asian swing.

firepanda
09-21-2012, 07:44 PM
The clay season has my favourite play, so I tend to go on a tennis binge at that time. The hard court season after the Australian Open is a complete waste of time, as are the tournaments after the US Open. It's only tiring the players even more.

ruerooo
09-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Love January. One of the few times of the year where I can watch tennis without messing up my body clock :D

January is a DRAG, LOL.

Getting up in the middle of the night.

Thank goodness for the Golden Swing.

More clay! More grass!

Less hardcourt.

Sabratha
09-21-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't like April-June.

veroniquem
09-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Spring and summer are my favorite: from IW to USO. Lots of tennis all the time. September, December and February are the worst, nothing much happening, mostly waiting for big events to come up.

aznhippos
09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
From Wimbledon to the Shanghai Masters

Paul Murphy
09-22-2012, 12:33 AM

Amen to that.
Four solid weeks of tennis: Brisbane, Sydney, Hobart, Hopman Cup, Kooyong then the AO.

Leelord337
09-22-2012, 01:03 AM
I love all of the claycourt tournys, most boring has to be after the US open (now) until the tennis masters cup

tusharlovesrafa
09-22-2012, 03:05 AM
I'd like to see carpet again, but I actually like the lack of grass court tennis. It makes it all the more special when Queens comes round every year.

Absence making the heart grow fonder, and all that jazz :)

Yeah,spot on.

marpiw
09-22-2012, 03:47 AM
The worst part of the tennis calendar is that played on courts from Arab countries.They are ugly and cold and I cannot imagine a tennis player feeling ''at home'' there...
Besides the players are far too naked to play there...their outfits are against the Koran.
The best part is the one comprised between Roland Garros and Wimbledon...

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 04:08 AM

Agreed. I've often thought that, since the World Tour Finals is at the end of the year, they could push it into December and have it on a rotation of clay-grass-hardcourt (changing in that order each year, so WTF 2012 would be on a clay-court), so we get a fairer balance of the surfaces (and players have more time to prepare for the surface change since it'll be in mid-December).

North
09-22-2012, 04:19 AM
I don't like clay court tennis - very boring. Everything else I like, though I wish they'd speed up Wimbledon like it used to be & would like to see more indoor hardcourt - very exciting to watch.

underground
09-22-2012, 07:13 AM
The worst part is the 6 week gap from Miami to Madrid, Monte Carlo downgraded and some of the worst 250's you can get there.

The best part of will be from Madrid to USO, because you literally get non-stop tennis.

tacou
09-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Hopman Cup, Australian swing and AO are the most exciting; brand new season!

I love clay season but especially love the FO/Queens/Wimbledon sequence.

This time of year is my least favorite but WTF is one of my favorite tournaments.

tennisMVP
09-22-2012, 09:29 AM
The Indian Wells/Miami period is 100% worthless.

svijk
09-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Worst:
Aussie open to Indian Wells
USO to the next Masters
Wimbledon to Rogers Cup

Best:
Monte Carlo to Wimbledon
Rogers Cup to USO

Best week: Cincy Masters

kishnabe
09-22-2012, 09:43 AM
The Indian Wells/Miami period is 100% worthless.

I agree...they should take it off and move the clay season earlier....and extend the grass season.

Or at least put IW/Miami before Aussie open......while moving the WTF closer so they have ample time to prepare. Take off Shanghai and the asian swing.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 09:48 AM
I agree...they should take it off and move the clay season earlier....and extend the grass season.

Or at least put IW/Miami before Aussie open......while moving the WTF closer so they have ample time to prepare. Take off Shanghai and the asian swing.

Why??? Just why??? if anything shorten the clay season its the most boring one!! extend the grass! have 2 masters on clay then the french. Upgrade either halle or queens to a 1000 and have eastbourne be a 1000 and then have wimby. then that totally makes it far. 1 slow hardcourt slam, 2 slow hardcourt masters, 2 clay masters, 1 clay slam, 2 grass masters, 1 grass slam, 2 relatively fast hardcourt masters, 1 relatively fast hardcourt slam, 2 indoor masters, 1 indoor WTF. PERFECT!

kOaMaster
09-22-2012, 11:55 AM
best:
Madrid - FO - Halle/Queens - Wimbledon

and (Basel-) Paris - WTF - *brake* - AO

I don't like the american hard court season too much, it somehow just looks always the same and usually the players are waiting just for the US Open - which is my least favourite grand slam tournament.

plus, everything after the us open until just madrid (maybe add rome there) is rather boring. plus, there are a little bit too many masters-1000 events there. they could remove miami and also monte carlo.

the last clay tournament before the FO, the FO and then the change to grass with halle & queens and wimbledon is amazing and produces perhaps the "best tennis" overall in the whole year, it's like the peak of each season.

when the season ends I'm always sad for not seeing tennis for many weeks and therefore I suck in every little glimpse of tennis I can see. the same when the season begins and the AO is up to come - which is usually hard to watch and very exhausting because of the time difference. sleep is what I need in february :D

Ico
09-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Least favorite: Miami through Rome
Favorite: Roland Garros through Wimbledon (heart of tennis in my opinion)

Not crazy about the US Open series, and the US Open itself hasn't been well run for a while.

Paullaconte1
09-23-2012, 06:20 AM
April-September is the best.
September - December the worst

RF-17-GOAT
09-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Start of the year and may-july.

St. Bernard
09-23-2012, 08:06 AM
I love the start of the year Australian swing, with the Hopman Cup, events in Brisbane, Sydney and then the Australian Open.

This may be purely due to the fact that I live in Australia, but for me - it's just something about the start of the season, the warm summer days and spending time at the tennis, or afternoons watching the tennis - something I rarely get to experience as a Tennis fan, have to kill myself staying up through the night to get my fix.

Other than that? Wimbledon to USO is always fantastic.

Roddick85
09-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Best : Indian Wells to Wimbledon. Always a happy period for me since there's a lots of interesting tournaments left in the season. Spring/Summer is coming up, snow is slowly going away here in Canada.

Worst : The week after the US Open. Most of the season is behind us, all that's left is the indoor tournaments which are still interesting but it also means the season is almost over.

RF20Lennon
09-23-2012, 08:59 AM
The indoor season should be interesting this year with Federer, Djokovic and Murray!!

Metalica
09-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Best part for me is the Australian Open and its preparation tournies. Hopman Cup has been a delight and mixed double is suprisingly entertaining. I still remember Murray smacking a 186 mph forehand towards the oposing girl :D that was amusing. As for the Australian Open, it just seems to promote good tennis. For example this year, both semis and the final were amazing.
Worst parts are whenever no tennis is played.

merwy
09-25-2012, 07:20 AM
My favorite is from the start of the clay season to Wimbledon.

I like how there are so many important tournaments in such a short period of time. A couple of months where you can fully enjoy tennis, with all of the top guys playing almost every week. And since I live in the Netherlands I can follow all of the matches, don't have the time zone difference that I have with the AO and USO.

Least favorite time: Starting after the USO ends, all the way until the start of the AO. Don't care too much for all those indoor tournaments to be honest. And the small 250 tournaments at the start of the year don't cut it for me either. WTF is the only tournament I like to watch in that period.