PDA

View Full Version : The Asian Swing: They are trying hard, but can they make it?

Paullaconte1
09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
I can see that the ATP is trying everything to push the Asian swing (it sounds as they are taking all kind of opportunities) .
Here for example there is Tipsarevic and Nishikori to ... do something in Singapore. Promoting ATP?
http://singapore.tennistonic.com/video_detail/?p_id=380

I understand that Asia is a big market. But it seems that this effort is a bit ...how to say, they are trying hard, but I am not sure there is a 100% commitment from all players (eg. top guys not playing the Asian Swing or going just to 1 or 2 tournaments to say "oh yes I went there!")

In a way it seems to be similar to the Fifa trying to push soccer in USA (Beckham etc).

So what's the future of tennis in Asia?

ruerooo
09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Well, MAndy is going - with some additional press b/c not only has he just won the USO, but isn't he defending his championships both in Shanghai and Tokyo?

Also, I think it might have a lot to do with how well Kei does, as he said himself (I watched that clip).

Sabratha
09-21-2012, 06:36 PM
I think the future of Asian tennis is bright.

Sentinel
09-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Asia has a huge fan following of Federer and Nadal. However, this would be a fraction of the cricket and football (soccer) following.

I don't think Murray will make inroads.

nereis
09-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Asia has a huge fan following of Federer and Nadal. However, this would be a fraction of the cricket and football (soccer) following.

I don't think Murray will make inroads.

Murray can make inroads into the Chinese market if only because of his name.

'Andy' is a very popular name for Chinese entertainers coming on the back of the popularity of Andy Lau.

jaggy
09-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Tipsarevic?

tennis_pro
09-22-2012, 08:39 AM
I think the future of Asian tennis is bright.

It won't be bright until there are some top players from that area. Nishikori is just the first step, a big one, though.

sureshs
09-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Tipsarevic?

Maybe his appeal is the intellectual look LOL?

Maybe the idea is to get a guy who looks like he had too many math tuitions growing up to appeal to the Asian audience?

syke
09-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Great timing to be in Singapore for the Formula One race.

Ripster
09-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Well, MAndy is going - with some additional press b/c not only has he just won the USO, but isn't he defending his championships both in Shanghai and Tokyo?

Also, I think it might have a lot to do with how well Kei does, as he said himself (I watched that clip).

Andy has the Asian treble to defend: Thailand, Tokyo and Shanghai. Not surprised he's skipping Thailand but looks like he's attending the other two.

sureshs
09-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Great timing to be in Singapore for the Formula One race.

It is always a great time to be in Singapore. Love that place.

db10s
09-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I think many Asian players of the future will hit kick serves, get to every ball, but not hit it back very hard.

LeeD
09-22-2012, 01:27 PM
I know at least 3 Indonesians from Singapore who swear they would only visit there for a few days, never live there, after growing up there and profiting there for 30+ years
What is nirvana for one might be hell for the other.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 01:29 PM
I mean their really putting efforts into all of this!! But I think although tennis is pretty popular in Asia its not very popular! they need to increase popularity and decrease ticket prices and make it more affordable

bezs
09-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Nishikori, Tipsarevic, Fish and Monaco are going to be playing in an exhibition tournament in Singapore in November not sure how good the turnout will be.

Met Nishikori and Tipsy, Tipsy was pretty friendly and Nishikori is nice just seemed a little shy.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Nishikori, Tipsarevic, Fish and Monaco are going to be playing in an exhibition tournament in Singapore in November not sure how good the turnout will be.

Met Nishikori and Tipsy, Tipsy was pretty friendly and Nishikori is nice just seemed a little shy.

Asians in general are a bit shy but their extremely nice and warm people

Ms Nadal
09-22-2012, 02:56 PM
It is always a great time to be in Singapore. Love that place.

Visited Singapore this August! Lovely clean place! And the people are lovely! I would recommend it.

Ms Nadal
09-22-2012, 03:01 PM
The problem with the Asian swing is that it is at the end of the year when all the players are tired and nursing niggles picked up over the year. Not much can be done about it. It could be played after the AO. But, that would mean that the players would be away from home for longer and a major re-jig of the tennis calendar. Not happening :)

sureshs
09-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I know at least 3 Indonesians from Singapore who swear they would only visit there for a few days, never live there, after growing up there and profiting there for 30+ years

I know a guy who lived for many years in Singapore and left.

Living anywhere is a different proposition from visiting there. As a tourist, you get a rosy picture (or a very negative picture). Reality is somewhere in-between. I visit Singapore every year because I have relatives there. I know all the plus and minus points of the place. But I would visit there over most other places. IMO, only Singapore and Hawaii are worth visiting.

sureshs
09-22-2012, 04:08 PM

The second part is true for people in every place that I have gone

dominikk1985
09-22-2012, 04:09 PM

Is that real friendlyness? I always thought asians were polite but quite aloof and basically just acting this.

But I'm no expert on asians.

syke
09-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Is that real friendlyness? I always thought asians were polite but quite aloof and basically just acting this.

Unlike their western counterparts who more likely to be outspoken and point blank. Asians generally appear to be more reserved, they will hardly go head on but will do a quick sidestep followed by a backstab. :)
Lol...

syke
09-22-2012, 07:16 PM

Well they shouldn't be complaining. indonesians have been profiting from Singapore for decades...

Singapore has been sheltering these rich kids and providing a safe haven for their dirty money.

Everytime something goes bad in Indonesia... Where do you think they go? Singapore...

syke
09-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Visited Singapore this August! Lovely clean place! And the people are lovely! I would recommend it.

Geographically, it's like Israel surrounded by Muslim countries. Financially, it's like Switzerland with its strict bank secrecy laws. Politically, you would have thought it was run by the Chinese Politburo. Culturally, it's like mash. :)

syke
09-22-2012, 08:52 PM

When are they playing in November? I might make a trip down...

http://www.thompsons.co.za/adpack/images/747.jpg
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/09/21/1226478/019659-2012-f1-singapore-aerial.jpg
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2008/09/custom_1222705285695_Singapore-gp_01.jpg
http://www.kokpinlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/DSC_0088.jpg
Nice...

Sentinel
09-22-2012, 09:42 PM

I've visited Asia several times, Japan to be exact. Loved the place and the people were very nice.

bezs
09-23-2012, 01:50 AM
When are they playing in November? I might make a trip down...

24 & 25th Nov http://www.sistic.com.sg/portal/dt?retry=1&dt.windowProvider.targetPortletChannel=JSPTabConta iner/sEventsCalendar/Event&dt.provider=PortletWindowProcessChannel&contentCode=clash1112&dt.windowProvider.currentChannelMode=VIEW&dt.isPortletRequest=true&dt.containerName=JSPTabContainer/sEventsCalendar&dt.action=process&dt.window.portletAction=RENDER

Russeljones
09-23-2012, 04:39 AM
I can see that the ATP is trying everything to push the Asian swing (it sounds as they are taking all kind of opportunities) .
Here for example there is Tipsarevic and Nishikori to ... do something in Singapore. Promoting ATP?
http://singapore.tennistonic.com/video_detail/?p_id=380

I understand that Asia is a big market. But it seems that this effort is a bit ...how to say, they are trying hard, but I am not sure there is a 100% commitment from all players (eg. top guys not playing the Asian Swing or going just to 1 or 2 tournaments to say "oh yes I went there!")

In a way it seems to be similar to the Fifa trying to push soccer in USA (Beckham etc).

So what's the future of tennis in Asia?

There's little on offer in the Asia tournaments for the big 4.

Pele, Beckenbauer etc. went to the USA way way before Beckham and none of it had anything to do with Fifa and everything to do with money.

Asia is going to need more thinking (prize money and points) for it to become more attractive.

vive le beau jeu !
09-23-2012, 04:46 AM
I've visited Asia several times, Japan to be exact. Loved the place and the people were very nice.
i second that: i was really happily surprised by the kindness of japanese people when i went there.

shinsetsu na hito desu ne ! :)

sureshs
09-23-2012, 09:14 AM
http://www.kokpinlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/DSC_0088.jpg
Nice...

Wealthy expat surrounded by cute local women in an upscale locale? Sounds like Singapore all right.