PDA

View Full Version : Best to watch Nadal was when he hadn't peaked.

Chillaxer
09-22-2012, 07:02 AM
I mean to see, Rafa was most exciting around 2006,7 then 8 when he finally got Wimbledon. He hasn't been as exciting to watcvh since becoming more established. Those years had intesnity because he was really trying to prove something.

TTMR
09-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Nadal ceased to be interesting when he ditched the sleeveless shirt/capris for the orthodox corporate tennis player look.

MichaelNadal
09-22-2012, 08:57 AM
I mean to see, Rafa was most exciting around 2006,7 then 8 when he finally got Wimbledon. He hasn't been as exciting to watcvh since becoming more established. Those years had intesnity because he was really trying to prove something.

I agree, vintage Rafa was definitely the best. He's still my fav though and his style isn't duplicated by anyone.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Yes I agree to. I remember watching rafa's junior match against gasquet and i actually liked his play!! He was quick he went up to net. He was quick with serves, he didnt pick his butt. If that carried on I would most likely have become a fun of his. But I really loved watching him in 2005 when he won his first french in the final I thought he played great.

90's Clay
09-22-2012, 09:14 AM
He was still very much rough around the edges (off of clay) but he was lightning fast.. It was fun watching him play back that

2010 Rafa was still the most amazing Rafa to watch to me though.. 3 slams on 3 different surfaces that year.. Thats crazy

tennisMVP
09-22-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't think any match in Nadal's career was as intense as the 2012 AO final. He was doing fist-pumps continuously after the 3rd set, and pelvic thrusts and other moves like punching the ground etc.

I know he also did that in other matches, but I think the 2012 AO final had more fist-pumps than any other match of his life.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't think any match in Nadal's career was as intense as the 2012 AO final. He was doing fist-pumps continuously after the 3rd set, and pelvic thrusts and other moves like punching the ground etc.

I know he also did that in other matches, but I think the 2012 AO final had more fist-pumps than any other match of his life.

Well noted, in fact at AO 2004 (against Hewitt) I recall him doing a lot of fist-pumping, as it was one of his first big matches against a former slam winner at a grand slam. Seems like the Australian Open is one of Nadal's favourite slams, or one that he has a lot of positive memories associated with.

tennisMVP
09-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Well noted, in fact at AO 2004 (against Hewitt) I recall him doing a lot of fist-pumping, as it was one of his first big matches against a former slam winner at a grand slam. Seems like the Australian Open is one of Nadal's favourite slams, or one that he has a lot of positive memories associated with.

Its probably his favorite crowd.

ucr_tennis90
09-22-2012, 09:31 AM
2009 AO was probably the most entertaining Rafa ever IMO.

tennisMVP
09-22-2012, 09:32 AM

Yep, the best his backhand has ever looked.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Its probably his favorite crowd.

That would make sense, the Australian Open crowd cheers for the underdog a lot of the time, whereas the US Open cheers for their favourite player (or the American player), as we saw in Nadal's US Open 2004 match against Roddick.

tennisMVP
09-22-2012, 09:36 AM
That would make sense, the Australian Open crowd cheers for the underdog a lot of the time, whereas the US Open cheers for their favourite player (or the American player), as we saw in Nadal's US Open 2004 match against Roddick.

Yeh so true.

kishnabe
09-22-2012, 09:40 AM

They were cheering like crazy for Nadal against Roddick in 2011 US Open. Times change...and no knew Rafa in 2004.....only the fanatics.

Nadal was more entertaining to watch with his sleevless shirts....now he looks like a dork who tries to be like Federer.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 09:43 AM
They were cheering like crazy for Nadal against Roddick in 2011 US Open. Times change...and no knew Rafa in 2004.....only the fanatics.

Nadal was more entertaining to watch with his sleevless shirts....now he looks like a dork who tries to be like Federer.

YES^^^^^ seconded big time!!! he was so much more appealing when he had his own style of sleeveless shirts and pirate pants and the bolded speaks for itself

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 09:44 AM

The french crowd is really anti-nadal and even though i dislike him i find it too offensive!

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Sorry, you must have either been watching a different match, or not paying much attention to that match at all, because I recall hearing screams and chants of Roddick's name much more than Nadal's, and there were certainly more American flags than Spanish flags in the crowd.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 09:47 AM
The french crowd is really anti-nadal and even though i dislike him i find it too offensive!

Well, being 5-0 against a French-speaking player must really hurt them, especially when you get to lift the trophy in their stupid faces every time they cheer against him in the Roland Garros final.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 09:48 AM

I prefer Nadal's sleeveless look, but I think Nadal realised that everyone knows what his muscles look like, and players like Federer constantly have images of Nadal's huge biceps and triceps in their minds, so his work on damaging Federer mentally had already been done. No need to continue to rub it in, great move from Nadal in my opinion. And Nadal would never try to be like Federer; who'd want to be 2-8 against someone in slams?

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Well, being 5-0 against a French-speaking player must really hurt them, especially when you get to lift the trophy in their stupid faces every time they cheer against him in the Roland Garros final.

Im a federer fan and yeah that hurts!! but come on that doesnt mean you have to cheer against the guy when hes trying to make a volley or hit an overhead. You can cheer more for federer but not put down nadal if that makes any sense

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 09:51 AM

no actually nadal got a bigger on court cheer and what not even Jmac was like Highly surprising to see the fans behind nadal more in this match.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 09:51 AM
no actually nadal got a bigger on court cheer and what not even Jmac was like Highly surprising to see the fans behind nadal more in this match.

Have you got the video of this? I don't remember that being the case. (If this did happen, it's also possible that Roddick fans were simply quieter, though I still don't doubt that the crowd was heavily pro-Roddick.)

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Im a federer fan and yeah that hurts!! but come on that doesnt mean you have to cheer against the guy when hes trying to make a volley or hit an overhead. You can cheer more for federer but not put down nadal if that makes any sense

Agreed. But it doesn't matter, Nadal walks away with the victory every time. That's the ultimate revenge, and Nadal knows it.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Have you got the video of this? I don't remember that being the case. (If this did happen, it's also possible that Roddick fans were simply quieter, though I still don't doubt that the crowd was heavily pro-Roddick.)

here observe the on court reception http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FG83rjv4Zo

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 09:55 AM
here observe the on court reception http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FG83rjv4Zo

I'm hearing more Roddick cheers than Nadal cheers. (By the way, I was asking for the part where they walk on-court, not a highlight video.)

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Agreed. But it doesn't matter, Nadal walks away with the victory every time. That's the ultimate revenge, and Nadal knows it.

plus its probably something to do with the fact that he's spanish as well. Didnt some french journalist accuse of the spaniards doping??

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-22-2012, 09:56 AM
plus its probably something to do with the fact that he's spanish as well. Didnt some french journalist accuse of the spaniards doping??

Don't know, sorry. I think that was Yannick Noah.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Don't know, sorry. I think that was Yannick Noah.

Oh ok yeah thats what I was thinking too

dudeski
09-22-2012, 10:44 AM

I agree. The 2011 super peak Nadal was quite boring to watch.

Paul Murphy
09-22-2012, 11:14 AM
It's a stark choice - one can either watch the GOAT who has elevated tennis into an art form (Federer) or you can watch Nadal bludgeon opponents with not a whit of subtlety or finesse.
I don't care what Rafa is wearing - he's only worth watching against the top players.
Watching him smash into submission some lowly ranked player is deathly dull.
However watching Federer artfully beat the same player through "death by a thousand cuts", now, that's entertainment.
Pure tennis.

tusharlovesrafa
09-22-2012, 11:57 AM
I agree with the OP.Back in 2005 when I first watched him,I knew he had something special.Sleeveless t-shirt and capri pants were his USP..He had a sense of rawness..Now he has become civilized..lol..Reminds me of Rocky now..

Mustard
09-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Nadal was certainly a lot more mobile back then, and the patterns he used in the rallies were different, as were his service stance and motion.

MichaelNadal
09-22-2012, 12:27 PM
It's a stark choice - one can either watch the GOAT who has elevated tennis into an art form (Federer) or you can watch Nadal bludgeon opponents with not a whit of subtlety or finesse.
I don't care what Rafa is wearing - he's only worth watching against the top players.
However watching Federer artfully beat the same player through "death by a thousand cuts", now, that's entertainment.
Pure tennis.

Obvious hater is obvious.

Crisstti
09-22-2012, 12:39 PM
I love to watch him play now as much as back in 2006. It's somewhat different, but equally good IMO... the sleeveless look was cool, but that ultimately doesn't matter. Plus he looks hotter now :).

BTW, why would anyone think Rafa is trying to look like Federer?. It's not like Fed was wearing anything distinctive or looking particular in some what that one could say Nadal is trying to imitate...

Nadal has himself implied he thinks that is the case. There's some sporting rivalry I guess.

Clarky21
09-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Pure tennis.

Gag worthy post.

TMF
09-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Nadal was certainly a lot more mobile back then, and the patterns he used in the rallies were different, as were his service stance and motion.

I think his fans can stop saying Nadal was a "baby" in 2005 since he was a better mover, better defender than in his mid 25. Nadal is one of a very few player peak that early.

Mustard
09-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Nadal has himself implied he thinks that is the case. There's some sporting rivalry I guess.

Noah was just bitter that Nadal had completely thrashed Gasquet and Tsonga on clay in their Davis Cup semi final tie. Both matches were a stroll for Rafa.

smoledman
09-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Nadal was just the latest in a long line of Spanish clay court bashers. He was just better then the previous versions.

Crisstti
09-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Noah was just bitter that Nadal had completely thrashed Gasquet and Tsonga on clay in their Davis Cup semi final tie. Both matches were a stroll for Rafa.

Oh yeah. I meant in a more general way, about the RG public.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Pure tennis.

I agree!! Federer has the most beautiful tennis game ever. Its not a sport when he plays its ART!! The wilson racket becomes a paintbrush and he paints the lines while gracefully sliding across the court thats the best thing about watching him play!!

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 01:33 PM

oh ok i see! yeah the french and the spanish tennis federation have some dispute

Sid_Vicious
09-22-2012, 01:46 PM
I agree!! Federer has the most beautiful tennis game ever. Its not a sport when he plays its ART!! The wilson racket becomes a paintbrush and he paints the lines while gracefully sliding across the court thats the best thing about watching him play!!

That is nauseating.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 01:48 PM
That is nauseating.

Maybe thats what I was going for ;)

The-Champ
09-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I think his fans can stop saying Nadal was a "baby" in 2005 since he was a better mover, better defender than in his mid 25. Nadal is one of a very few player peak that early.

I've always said Rafa is at least 3 years past his clay peak. And yeah, movement-wise the Nadal of the past 3 years is a snail to what he once was.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 02:24 PM
I've always said Rafa is at least 3 years past his clay peak. And yeah, movement-wise the Nadal of the past 3 years is a snail to what he once was.

but still compared to other players except djokovic he still moves way more than anyone else

Ms Nadal
09-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I think Rafa is still exciting to watch. Of course the sleeveless days were magical and will always remain legendary days for us Rafa fans. But, Rafa is no longer that teenager, he would have had to dump that look at some point. Rafa was a very cute teenager with a man's body :). His passion and intensity always shone brightly. Talking about the dumping of the sleeveless, it seems to have gone out of fashion anyway. Delpo, Monfils etc have all dumped that look. It's sleeves, ahoy!
Rafa is still exciting to watch and the passion shows more when he is having a jolly good street fight ie AO 2012 final. Even though Rafa lost, it was a good loss. He fought till the end and my throat hurted for the rest of the week due to my screaming and screeching whilst watching the match. To me, Rafa is the most exciting player in tennis history. Rafa, please come back, sweetie! Tennis isn't the same without him!

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-22-2012, 03:09 PM
For me he was more interesting back then because of how unique he was. Sleeveless shirt, capri pants, and a lefty reverse forehand made him different from the typical player mold. Even better, he was a perfect contrast to Federer who was the complete opposite in play style and personality.

Today his capri pants have become shorter and his shirt is tighter and with sleeves. His strokes are still unique, but he has become closer to the player mold in order to become successful outside of clay. Also, the decline of the Fed-Nadal rivalry has started to decline.

The-Champ
09-22-2012, 03:14 PM
but still compared to other players except djokovic he still moves way more than anyone else

not just Djokovic, I think Andy Murray moves better than Rafa the last couple of years as well..

Ms Nadal
09-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Rafa's does wear a tight fitting top and shorts anyway so he still looks lovely! :). Rafa's forehand is an amzing shot and I love his tennis in general. There is only one Rafa Nadal!

Ms Nadal
09-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Rafa is still King of Clay, the best mover on that surface but other players have caught up with him ie Djokovic.

vive le beau jeu !
09-22-2012, 04:02 PM
I agree. The 2011 super peak Nadal was quite boring to watch.
the 2012 rusty peak injured golden bull has rather been fun to watch since wimbledon. :)

beast of mallorca
09-22-2012, 04:47 PM

That is nauseating.

Maybe thats what I was going for ;)

I thought you're going for being a dainty Lady, lol. :twisted:

Clarky21
09-22-2012, 04:59 PM
not just Djokovic, I think Andy Murray moves better than Rafa the last couple of years as well..

On clay as well? Because if you think Andy moves better than Nadal on clay you are sorely mistaken.

And Nadal isn't as fun to watch these days as he used to be. I think it's a combination of a lack of passion for tennis,bum knees,and burnout that have made him lose the spark he once had.

The-Champ
09-22-2012, 05:04 PM
On clay as well? Because if you think Andy moves better than Nadal on clay you are sorely mistaken.

Not on clay but everywhere else. On clay, current Nadal has a very slight edge IMO.

Clarky21
09-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Not on clay but everywhere else. On clay, current Nadal has a very slight edge IMO.

Very slight? I think Nadal has a much bigger advantage than that.

rdis10093
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
I like watching nadal play when he had not peaked also. Its funny, cause you know he is gonna kill his knees

firepanda
09-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Agree with that sentiment. :) There's nothing quite like vintage Nadal. He's still great to watch, but less unorthodox than he used to be.

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 11:08 PM
I thought you're going for being a dainty Lady, lol. :twisted:

LMAO!!!! this cracked me up!

RF20Lennon
09-22-2012, 11:09 PM
I loved watching nadal play especially in the french in 2004, wimby in 2009 and this years USO :twisted:

OverratedIvanovic
09-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Mid 2008 - Early 2009. That was the period I enjoyed the most watching Nadal when he was at his offensive best from the baseline. Yes he did win 3 slams in 2010 but I think his movement and backhand deteriorated a bit but his serve improved a lot.

RF20Lennon
09-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Mid 2008 - Early 2009. That was the period I enjoyed the most watching Nadal when he was at his offensive best from the baseline. Yes he did win 3 slams in 2010 but I think his movement and backhand deteriorated a bit but his serve improved a lot.

Yeah I agree with you but I think post injury 2009 he wasn't the same rafa anymore

Paul Murphy
09-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Gag worthy post.

I hope you gagged big and gagged hard.

Paul Murphy
09-23-2012, 02:27 AM
Obvious hater is obvious.

No, what I said I truly believe - I'd watch Federer all day, every day in preference to watching anyone else.
I think Rafa is a wonderful fellow and great for the game of tennis and I miss what he brings to the sharp end of majors.
It's his rabid supporters on here that I detest.
They're ridiculous and pathetic.
And the best you can do is "obvious hater is obvious?"
What's obvious is an inability to write a sentence.
Try again.

Clarky21
09-23-2012, 07:36 AM
No, what I said I truly believe - I'd watch Federer all day, every day in preference to watching anyone else.
I think Rafa is a wonderful fellow and great for the game of tennis and I miss what he brings to the sharp end of majors.
It's his rabid supporters on here that I detest.
They're ridiculous and pathetic.
And the best you can do is "obvious hater is obvious?"
What's obvious is an inability to write a sentence.
Try again.

Yep,none of those types on here that are foaming at the mouth *******s(you). :roll:

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Yep,none of those types on here that are foaming at the mouth *******s(you). :roll:

Can't wait until Nadal wins AO 2013, then we can watch more and more Federer fans crumble and cry. It's all fun and games until Nadal wins 18 slams. :D

tudwell
09-23-2012, 08:04 AM
The best time to watch Nadal is when he's losing! :twisted:

TopFH
09-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Can't wait until Nadal wins AO 2013, then we can watch more and more Federer fans crumble and cry. It's all fun and games until Nadal wins 18 slams. :D

Just like he was gonna win the USO, right? You said it, or was it another one of your clones?

Tafmatch
09-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Just like he was gonna win the USO, right? You said it, or was it another one of your clones?

He absolutely guaranteed it!

RF20Lennon
09-23-2012, 08:49 AM

That was nadalUSO2012AO2013 but now since the USO didnt work out they will try for the AO :D

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Actually I never said/predicted that Nadal would win US Open 2012. I always said AO 2013. And I'm right, because Nadal will win AO 2013.

RF20Lennon
09-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Actually I never said/predicted that Nadal would win US Open 2012. I always said AO 2013. And I'm right, because Nadal will win AO 2013.

he might win just the fact that he might be rusty to start off and still recovering and with guys like djokovic and murray I dont think he can make it

Chillaxer
09-23-2012, 09:52 AM

I agree he played awesome and in AO 12, even though people were saying he was shot, some performance for someone who doesn't care. But 2006 and then 2007 then 8 Wimbledon was special for me, following him their, being British, and then finally seeing him get his first non RG slam there, after losing in five the years before, that was special. That was when he was so enthralling, he really pushed Fed in 2007 Wimby too.

It's a period of tennis, inlcuding Federer as well, that was so special in terms of the rivalry, I'm not sure it well ever be bettered.

Paul Murphy
09-23-2012, 06:36 PM

Thanks. I've made it into the ranks of the *******s. Wow.
I'd rather that than being in your ranks.
What about *** - the poor guy has to infest every thread with Nadal adoration - apparently he reckons Rafa looks better in his underwear than Wozniacki. :)
You deserve each other.

sonicare
09-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Nadal was best to watch in 2011. It was his absolute peak as demonstrated by the number of finals he made across all surfaces. Too bad djoker had other plans.

MichaelNadal
09-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Nadal was best to watch in 2011. It was his absolute peak as demonstrated by the number of finals he made across all surfaces. Too bad djoker had other plans.

Nadal looked like he'd rather be selling peanuts at a baseball game than playing tennis last year.

papertank
09-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Nadal was amazing to watch 2008 and earlier, and for a brief period in 2010, especially the US Open. He's still fun to watch for me, but a shadow of the entertainment value he provided in earlier years.

sonicare
09-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Nadal looked like he'd rather be selling peanuts at a baseball game than playing tennis last year.

Nadal played as hard as he has ever had and even tried to change things up last year. seeing nadal give his 100% across three surfaces was inspiring. shame djokovic kept beating him across all surfaces. But lets not kid ourselves, 2011 was nadals best year. its just that djokovic was better.

Crisstti
09-24-2012, 05:02 AM
Nadal was amazing to watch 2008 and earlier, and for a brief period in 2010, especially the US Open. He's still fun to watch for me, but a shadow of the entertainment value he provided in earlier years.

What about the AO 2009?.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-24-2012, 05:17 AM

A brief period in 2010? I think winning Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open is a bit more than a brief period, that's almost half the year. (And 2010 was Nadal's year, as we all know.)

Zarfot Z
09-24-2012, 05:25 AM

I distinctly remember you creating an account called "nadalwinsuso12ao13". Has your memory fallen short?

tennis_pro
09-24-2012, 05:28 AM

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w30/KooKooBananas_2007/Reaction%20GIFs/fc8caddf9443f05dee92df9a7344dc60.gif

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-24-2012, 05:29 AM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w30/KooKooBananas_2007/Reaction%20GIFs/fc8caddf9443f05dee92df9a7344dc60.gif

You can laugh, but you can't hide from Nadal.

RF20Lennon
09-24-2012, 08:05 AM
I distinctly remember you creating an account called "nadalwinsuso12ao13". Has your memory fallen short?

Hey come on he has to handle like 20 accounts its hard to keep track :twisted:

Fedex
09-24-2012, 10:12 AM

Doesn't he have eleven positive memories?

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Doesn't he have eleven positive memories?

Yes, but Rafael Nadal has always said that the AO 2004 match against Hewitt was a special memory for him.

Sabratha
09-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Didn't Nadal take Hewitt to five sets in the 2005 Australian Open?

Mustard
09-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Yes. Hewitt won 7-5, 3-6, 1-6, 7-6, 6-2. Hewitt won their 2004 Australian Open match by 7-6, 7-6, 6-2.

Mike Sams
09-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Nadal played as hard as he has ever had and even tried to change things up last year. seeing nadal give his 100% across three surfaces was inspiring. shame djokovic kept beating him across all surfaces. But lets not kid ourselves, 2011 was nadals best year. its just that djokovic was better.

Djokovic is a naturally superior hardcourt player to Nadal. Nadal has to play his absolute best and grind like hell to have a chance against Djokovic on hardcourts. At their normal levels, Djokovic wipes him out as the record shows. There's a reason why Nadal hasn't won a hardcourt Masters since 2009.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-25-2012, 08:42 AM

Yes, but 2004 was his debut at the Australian Open and in which lots of people started realising his potential. It was a time of growth for Rafael Nadal, having been able to push a grand slam champion to two tiebreak sets.