PDA

View Full Version : What should the Czechs do against Spain

roysid
09-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Czech need to decide on two things

- What court they use?
Is is grass, hard court, indoor or carpet.
- Who should be the singles players?
Who shall partner Berdych. Stepanek or Rosol or someone else

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-24-2012, 04:20 AM
They should decide how they want to lose. Because they well, especially if Nadal is playing, and if Nadal is playing, it doesn't matter what the surface is, Nadal will win all his singles rubbers. If he plays the doubles with Lopez, I can't see how the Czech team can match them with a superior doubles team.

North
09-24-2012, 04:43 AM

- What court they use?

The fastest indoor hardcourt/carpet possible. Berdych as one of the singles players. The other would depend on who is playing better - Stepanek vs Rosol. I think Stepanek is the best doubles player of the three, so it's really who partners him in doubles.

RAFA2005RG
09-24-2012, 04:46 AM
When your 2nd best singles player is Rosol, you are in trouble. It means you NEED to win the doubles and it means Berdych cannot afford to lose a match. Stepanek should play the singles.

Mortifier
09-24-2012, 05:14 AM
They should decide how they want to lose. Because they well, especially if Nadal is playing, and if Nadal is playing, it doesn't matter what the surface is, Nadal will win all his singles rubbers. If he plays the doubles with Lopez, I can't see how the Czech team can match them with a superior doubles team.

You're the most one-sided, obnoxious poster I've seen since Nadal_slam_king. You always fail to actually see other possibilities than Nadal winning every single match he plays with his "superiority", "greatness" etc... It's nauseating to be honest. I see you doing this in every thread you participate in, not a single time to make a different argument.

Nadal will not be playing by the way.

tusharlovesrafa
09-24-2012, 05:21 AM
You're the most one-sided, obnoxious poster I've seen since Nadal_slam_king. You always fail to actually see other possibilities than Nadal winning every single match he plays with his "superiority", "greatness" etc... It's nauseating to be honest. I see you doing this in every thread you participate in, not a single time to make a different argument.

Well he is Nadal Slam king!:)

Mortifier
09-24-2012, 05:28 AM

He always claims that he's not, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. You would think that he'd eventually stop trolling the boards if he was (even Nadal-fans thinks he is complete BS).

I'm not saying that Nadal fans aren't reasonable, they are just as reasonable as any other fans. It's just this guy...

On TOPIC: Super fast indoor surface is the way to go. Ferrer is "good on hardcourt", yes, but how well does he fare on really fast indoor surfaces? Shanghai (2007?) was medium right?

And of course, they need to take the elements of nature away - wind, sun, etc etc are all a part of the Spanish way of playing with their high percentage plays. Best choice is to make conditions well for a big hitter like Berdych and hope he wins both his matches.

I also heard that Berdy and Steps hasn't lost a doubles match together in ages. That bodes well for them as well, even if almighty Rafa and Lopez are playing (they have been beaten before, you know).

fundrazer
09-24-2012, 05:33 AM
^^I think Birdman and Stepanek lost a really long match in Olympic doubles. I think it went into the 20's for the final set, but I can't recall exactly.

They do make for a solid team though.

BauerAlmeida
09-24-2012, 05:55 AM

Yes. Nadal playing 3 points and wining them, in his worst surface after months injured it's going to happen.

The czechs should play indoor carpet. There's no way they can lose there.

merlinpinpin
09-24-2012, 06:16 AM
"What should the Czechs do against Spain?"

Well, they should win, of course. ;)

And, yes, fast indoor carpet is obviously the way to go. When Chokin' Deliciano suddenly becomes the biggest threat in a team that also includes two top-five players, you know you're halfway there. ;)

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Sorry, I didn't hear any announcement that Nadal is out of the Davis Cup final. And by the way, Nadal hasn't lost a singles rubber in Davis Cup since 2004, in which he was only 17 (lost to Jiri Novak), so I think it's pretty much a certainty that Nadal will give them a 2-0 lead at least.

The only way Spain can lose (with Nadal playing) is perhaps if they played doubles WITH Nadal, since Nadal is 2-4 in doubles matches dating back to 2004 (in fact, Nadal played all those matches in 2004), but Nadal is a much better doubles player now, so a loss still looks unlikely (Nadal wasn't that terrible a doubles player in 2004 either, since he made the US Open SF in 2004 (doubles) partnering Tommy Robredo).

I don't think you're allowed to choose carpet anymore, but when they did play the Czech Republic (with Nadal), they lost the tie (World Group 1R 2004, carpet). So it's a great opportunity to settle that personal H2H to 1-1, and I'm sure Nadal will be using that in his motivation against Berdych/Stepanek/other Czech player (and he has dominated Berdych in slam play and in non-slam play). Plus it isn't the same, since this is a final, and Nadal always plays finals better than earlier rounds, since he has more motivation to win the title. And he's a much more experienced player now (was only 17 years of age during that loss).

RF20Lennon
09-24-2012, 07:02 AM
What part of nadal isn't playing do you not understand??

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-24-2012, 07:03 AM
By the way, I'm pretty sure nadal_slam_king is a banned user, and if we were the same person, I'm also pretty sure I'd be banned, but I'm not, since we're different accounts.

RF20Lennon
09-24-2012, 07:07 AM
By the way, I'm pretty sure nadal_slam_king is a banned user, and if we were the same person, I'm also pretty sure I'd be banned, but I'm not, since we're different accounts.

Quite possible..........

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-24-2012, 07:20 AM

I don't understand the part where they claim that Nadal actually pulled out of the Davis Cup final, since I haven't read any announcement of that sort, just speculation. So as far as I'm concerned, Nadal is playing the Davis Cup Final 2012 against the Czech Republic.

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/578597_10151116313781026_770335012_n.jpg

Sri
09-24-2012, 07:21 AM
You are different accounts, but are you a different person? :o

RF20Lennon
09-24-2012, 07:27 AM
I don't understand the part where they claim that Nadal actually pulled out of the Davis Cup final, since I haven't read any announcement of that sort, just speculation. So as far as I'm concerned, Nadal is playing the Davis Cup Final 2012 against the Czech Republic.

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/578597_10151116313781026_770335012_n.jpg

No it's confirmed he's pulled out there was a thread about it but you might have been banned then but I could be wrong

MarinaHighTennis
09-24-2012, 07:56 AM
I know what Spain shouldn't do... put Verdasco in doubles :P

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-24-2012, 07:58 AM
You are different accounts, but are you a different person? :o

We're different people.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-24-2012, 07:59 AM
No it's confirmed he's pulled out there was a thread about it but you might have been banned then but I could be wrong

Yes, you're wrong.

dominikk1985
09-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Use indoor carpet. On hardcourt ferrer is very good, he straight sets rosol and probably beats berdych too.

maybe berdych can win against ferrer if he has a great day but rosol is probably not winning against the second spaniard. Of course he has a huge day and if he has a perfect day he might be dangerous but I would not bet on him.

Czech needs to win the doubles of course.

maybe even use stepanek on carpet.

roysid
09-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Why not use grass and play rosol as second singles player. stepanek hardly has any weapons as singles player. rosol can atleast serve bombs

Paul Murphy
09-25-2012, 01:55 AM

So true.
His obsession is tiresome.

Paul Murphy
09-25-2012, 01:56 AM

Indeed he is.
Same poster but with different accounts.
I wonder if the Mods know?

roysid
10-18-2012, 03:26 AM
Have the czech's selected surface

Raz11
10-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Have the czech's selected surface

This is what I found on the davis cup site

Surface: Hard (Novacrylic Ultracushion System ) - Indoor

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Why not use grass and play rosol as second singles player. stepanek hardly has any weapons as singles player. rosol can atleast serve bombs

Because Rosol is a Challenger/Futures circuit player. The greatest moment of his life was his lucky win over Nadal. He'd be dead weight to the Czech team (which they already are, anyway).

joeri888
10-18-2012, 05:00 AM
Why not a grasscourt? Berdych should win both his singles matches without Nadal without trying. Ferrer's worst surface is grass. Rosol did well on grass too this year, and Steps can play decent on it as well. On top of that, it makes Lopez the second spanish player behind Ferrer, which is better than Almagro on clay or hard.

0d1n
10-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Use the fastest indoor surface they can find, and play Tomas and Radek.

sunof tennis
10-18-2012, 06:45 AM

Frankly, there is little he understands, especially logic,

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Frankly, there is little he understands, especially logic,

I want to see Nadal's confirmation that he isn't playing Davis Cup. Show it to me.

By the way, I have an extremely logical mind.

RF20Lennon
10-18-2012, 07:18 AM
I want to see Nadal's confirmation that he isn't playing Davis Cup. Show it to me.

By the way, I have an extremely logical mind.

Nadal said he most likely wont be returning in 2012 I think I saw it on ESPN

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Nadal said he most likely wont be returning in 2012 I think I saw it on ESPN

Most likely doesn't mean certain.

mental midget
10-18-2012, 07:28 AM
slow, low-bouncing hard court. give berdych time to get to the ball, take away nadal's crazy high kick off the groundies. berdych can hit through a slow court no problem.

gives stepanek time to get to the net, but keeps ball low to at least ease the pain on the passing shots.

Wilander Fan
10-18-2012, 07:43 AM

I think many of the prolific posters here are literally just kids so there is alot fanaticism. The best sports forums IMO are the NFL forums where you tend to get alot of really unique technical insight.

Magnetite
10-18-2012, 08:10 AM
They should play it on blue clay.

NDFM
10-18-2012, 08:13 AM
To 1-3-0, Nadal isn't playing. The DC Captain for Spain is hardly going to pick a player who hasn't played a match in months over those who have been (Almagro, Granollers for doubles etc.) I know you have hope that he'll play but be realistic, he may not have announced his withdrawal (he has hinted it in recent interviews) but expect that he will.

vive le beau jeu !
10-18-2012, 08:34 AM
And by the way, Nadal hasn't lost a singles rubber in Davis Cup since 2004, in which he was only 17 (lost to Jiri Novak), so I think it's pretty much a certainty that Nadal will give them a 2-0 lead at least.
yes and he's almost always there when spain receives azerbaidjan, liechtenstein or any monster team on clay... the fact that many of his missed ties were indoor is probably just a coincidence.

LuckyR
10-18-2012, 08:36 AM
If I were the Czechs, I would play on a hockey rink.

0d1n
10-18-2012, 09:25 AM
slow, low-bouncing hard court. give berdych time to get to the ball, take away nadal's crazy high kick off the groundies. berdych can hit through a slow court no problem.

gives stepanek time to get to the net, but keeps ball low to at least ease the pain on the passing shots.

Hmmm, I can see your point with the low bouncing stuff, but anything "slow" will emphasize movement and consistency and the Spanish rule in those departments.
FAST and low bouncing is where they want to be. Berdych can play first strike tennis and that surface gives Radek better chances in singles as he can attack the net more successfully.
On a general note, anybody thinking Rosol will play singles and not Stepanek is smoking something.

underground
10-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Use grass court and Lukas Rosol.

August
10-18-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm wondering this. Stepanek would play on Friday against Spain's #1, i.e. Ferrer (or Nadal). Does he has so good a chance to win that it's worth for him to play, or would it be better to have Rosol on Friday, to rest Radek for doubles and the possible fifth rubber?

Clarky21
10-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Hilarious to see how many Nadal haters there are on here rooting against Spain just because Nadal is Spanish. This place is infested with far too many *******s.

And no,Nadal is not playing DC,*********.

namelessone
10-18-2012, 12:12 PM
1.Put up fast court.
2.Play Stephanek and Berdych for singles.
3.Profit.

Max G.
10-18-2012, 12:38 PM
1.Put up fast court.
2.Play Stephanek and Berdych for singles.
3.Profit.

This. In the YTD race, Stepanek has twice as many points as Rosol, and he's ranked 32 to Rosol's 84 (again, in the race, because the ATP site is crashing and I can't check rankings.)

Stepanek's game might not look impressive, but it brings in a lot more Ws than Rosol's on a typical day.

The fatigue is the main reason why Stepanek might want to sit out a match, so him and berdych aren't both playing all 3 days. But he's a pro, he can handle a few tough matches in a row.

0d1n
10-18-2012, 11:45 PM
This. In the YTD race, Stepanek has twice as many points as Rosol, and he's ranked 32 to Rosol's 84 (again, in the race, because the ATP site is crashing and I can't check rankings.)

Stepanek's game might not look impressive, but it brings in a lot more Ws than Rosol's on a typical day.

The fatigue is the main reason why Stepanek might want to sit out a match, so him and berdych aren't both playing all 3 days. But he's a pro, he can handle a few tough matches in a row.

Radek is fit as a fiddle. I've seen him play live...and ON CLAY which is far from his best surface, but his movement was very impressive.
On an unrelated note he's also close to 34 yo...and that gives this 32 yo hope to have quite a few more very good tennis years in which growth is possible. If that guy is some 1.5 years older than me and playing in the ATP top 40...I can certainly still improve before 35 ;).

joeri888
10-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Hilarious to see how many Nadal haters there are on here rooting against Spain just because Nadal is Spanish. This place is infested with far too many *******s.

And no,Nadal is not playing DC,*********.

Spain has won the davis cup many times the past few years. Plus, their players are apart from Lopez, a lot more defensive than the Czechs. If Spain plays Stepanek and Lopez, I'll be rooting for Spain, until then: Czech Republic please

rk_sports
10-19-2012, 10:46 PM

- What court they use?

- they should use the exact same court as 'shanghai' .. as you've seen how well Steps played on that surface (almost took out the hot murray) and won doubles championship.
- who else but Birdy and Steps for singles and doubles

albatros_forehand
10-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Exactly. Shanghai-like fast low bouncing court the way to go. Let's blow the pusher armada off the court. Let's go Czechs. Flat hitting!

melele
10-22-2012, 04:53 AM
Spain has to win this Davis Cup. Ferrer and Almagro can beat any cezch player.

Steve0904
10-22-2012, 04:58 AM
Spain has to win this Davis Cup. Ferrer and Almagro can beat any cezch player.

Not sure about that. This tie will be played on an indoor HC because it's in the Czech Republic. Therefore Berdych has at least a 50/50 shot at beating Ferrer, and Almagro is not reliable enough to bank on him for a sure win.

I'm not biased btw because I'm Canadian.

jankustra
10-22-2012, 07:18 AM
with or without nadal... no difference for czech. just give up all hopes... ferrer will beat berdich and another czech and its over...

NDFM
10-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Almagro definitely will not beat Berdych, they've met like at least 3 times this year (1 indoor meeting) and Berdych has won every encounter