PDA

View Full Version : Vilas wants DC captaincy.

Paul Murphy
09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Former No. 1 Guillermo Vilas tells 2 de Punta de radio Concepto that he would like to become captain of Argentina’s Davis Cup team, even though Martin Jaite has indicated that he will come back to captain the squad in 2013.

“I want to be Davis Cup captain," four-time Grand Slam champion Vilas said. “It’s the destiny of a good player is to be a Davis Cup captain. It's a must. It can’t be avoided.”

The Argentine team was mired in controversy after it lost at home to the Czech Republic in the semifinals. Top player Juan Martin del Potro was said not have communicated with his teammates and did not play the fourth match against Tomas Berdych due to injury. Fans apparently booed when they heard that del Potro had pulled out.

“It’s not good to whistle in Davis Cup,” Vilas said, "[but] tennis is a sport of codes and when you break one, there is no communication and you do not receive the advice that you need. As a player the first thing that you fear is to be booed by the audience. You want to be celebrated when you are nominated for Davis Cup and you must recapture that spirit.”

Vilas said that if del Potro does not agree with the Argentine Tennis Association about keeping Jaite as captain then there is a potential problem. "You have to sit with a captain whom you don’t know, who is appointed by the association, and that you don’t like,” said Vilas.

Vilas does not expect to get the captaincy because he said he is not part of the association’s leadership block.

tennis.com

Would love to see the old bull involved in tennis again.

jean pierre
09-25-2012, 05:05 AM
It's totally absurd that Vilas never been the DC captain ! I think there is a political problem with argentinian federation. Mancini, Tito Vasquez, Jaite were captains and not Vilas !! The best argentinian player, who invented tennis in Argentina, a tennis legend ! I don't understand he couldn't have his chance to be captain.

Sabratha
09-25-2012, 05:10 AM
I think he should get it now, after all this time.

mary fierce
09-25-2012, 05:16 AM
Not sure what being a top player has to do with being a Davis Cup captain. Donald Dell was never a leading player for the US but his intelligence and leadership was recognized, and he captained US teams that won two Davis Cup championships. John McEnroe, by contrast, was a top player but had a miserable stint as captain. Likewise in major sports where many of the top coaches were not especially prominent players but had other skills that made them great coaches.

jean pierre
09-25-2012, 05:22 AM
Not sure what being a top player has to do with being a Davis Cup captain. Donald Dell was never a leading player for the US but his intelligence and leadership was recognized, and he captained US teams that won two Davis Cup championships. John McEnroe, by contrast, was a top player but had a miserable stint as captain. Likewise in major sports where many of the top coaches were not especially prominent players but had other skills that made them great coaches.

OK, but he could have just a chance to try.

vive le beau jeu !
09-25-2012, 05:48 AM
“I want to be Davis Cup captain," four-time Grand Slam champion Vilas said. “It’s the destiny of a good player is to be a Davis Cup captain. It's a must. It can’t be avoided.”
sounds a bit like a star wars quote... willy, you can destroy martin jaite... it's our destiny... myself and i together we can rule the davis cup as guillermo vilas, etc. ;)

mary fierce
09-25-2012, 06:01 AM
^^
In Vilas' remarks you can hear the sort of ego that could make him a terrible captain. Managing a small group of tennis players through the Davis Cup means making THEM feel like they can prevail, not ranting about YOUR destiny.

jean pierre
09-25-2012, 08:08 AM
^^
In Vilas' remarks you can hear the sort of ego that could make him a terrible captain. Managing a small group of tennis players through the Davis Cup means making THEM feel like they can prevail, not ranting about YOUR destiny.

With Mancini, Vasquez, Jaite, Argentina lost all important matches. Let's try with Vilas, it couldn't be worst !

BauerAlmeida
09-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Vilas should have been the captain a long time ago...

ruerooo
09-25-2012, 07:16 PM

Oh, goodness.
I don't think they have any idea what they're in for.

:shock:

That said, I thought it was horrible that the Argentine crowd booed and whistled, after delPo pretty much gave his wrist for them to earn that first point.

*sigh* CD Argentina, will you ever be free of drama? Just when I thought D-Nal and DelPo could be nice and get along ... now there's going to be scrapping over who gets to be captain?

ruerooo
09-25-2012, 07:17 PM
^^

This.

Precisely this.

hersito
09-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Vilas as a DC coach would be a disaster for argentina just as Maradona was a disaster for the football national team, being a good or the best player doesn't mean that you are a good coach and viceversa. He has a ego too big to be a positive coach. He would have even more problems than Jaite have right now.

jean pierre
09-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Vilas as a DC coach would be a disaster for argentina just as Maradona was a disaster for the football national team, being a good or the best player doesn't mean that you are a good coach and viceversa. He has a ego too big to be a positive coach. He would have even more problems than Jaite have right now.

Nobody knows what will happen if Vilas is the captain ! He must have a chance, he's the best argentinian player. Maybe he could have the same results than Noah !