PDA

View Full Version : Nadal recuperation on track- "...whether that is in two weeks or in three or four."

RAFA2005RG
09-24-2012, 10:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nadal-recuperation-track-not-rush-back-231242143--ten.html

MADRID (Reuters) - Rafa Nadal's steady recuperation from a knee injury is proceeding according to plan and he is not going to rush back before it has healed properly, the world number four said.

In an interview with Reuters in Madrid, the 11-times grand slam singles champion said he was still feeling some pain in his left knee and would only return to the court when that was no longer the case.

"I am working as much as I can, I am doing everything they tell me to every day and the truth is that right now things are going well, more or less," the 26-year-old Spaniard said.

"The only thing is that I need bit more time," he added.

"We'll see how things develop in the next few weeks but my priority is to recover well, not quickly but well.

"Obviously as soon as possible but the main thing is to have the certainty that you are fine when you do return.

"I will return to the court when I feel that the knee no longer gives me any pain, whether that is in two weeks or in three or four."

Majorca-native Nadal has been sidelined several times by knee injuries during his 11-year career and his latest was diagnosed as a partial tear of the patella tendon and an inflammation of the Hoffa's fat pad.

The former number one has not played since suffering a shock second-round defeat to Czech Lukas Rosol at Wimbledon in June. He missed the Olympic Games after winning the title in 2008 and was forced to withdraw from the U.S. Open.

Nadal is having intense physiotherapy and laser treatment and Spanish tennis federation (RFET) doctor Angel Ruiz-Cotorro said on September 5 he could be back on court training within a month.

AGGRESSIVE, DEMANDING

"I think tennis is a very aggressive and demanding sport and obviously the knees suffer above all when you are playing on hard courts," Nadal said.

"On fast courts the movements are much more aggressive, when you are playing at your maximum you have to push your body to the limit.

"I have had problems with my knees, others have other problems.

"The reality is that at the age of 26 and after a career of more than 10 years, with very good results, it has been my good fortune that my knees have not prevented me competing at the highest level for many years.

"I hope that when I return they don't hinder me."

Nadal played some of his best tennis in the first half of the year, losing narrowly to Novak Djokovic in the final of the Australian Open and winning a record seventh Roland Garros title on his favored clay.

He said his goal was to get back to a similar level of fitness to allow him to go toe-to-toe with the game's best again.

"What I hope for is to be ready to compete again for everything I want to compete for, like I did in the first six months of the year," he said.

"That is what I will try to achieve, it's what I will fight for and work every day.

"I am 26 years old and I am confident I have plenty of years ahead. What I want is to recover well and to continue enjoying tennis and competition, which is what make me happy right now."

EXCLUSIVE CLUB

Nadal's Spain are chasing a fourth Davis Cup title in five years and play the Czech Republic in the November 16-18 final. He said he did not know whether he would have recovered in time to feature.

He has only lost one of 21 singles rubbers in the competition but 16 of those wins have come on clay and as the home team the Czechs are almost certain to select hard courts.

"If things go well and I can make the final and the captain thinks I am the right person to play it then I'll be there," he said. "If not, I'll be supporting the guys from afar."

Nadal has dominated the slams in recent years along with world number two Djokovic and number one Roger Federer but he said Andy Murray's U.S. Open win this month meant the Briton had finally joined their exclusive club.

Murray's victory against Federer at Wimbledon to win the Olympic gold had given him the extra confidence to see off Djokovic in New York, Nadal added.

"What has changed is his mentality," he said.

"His game has not changed practically at all but winning the Olympic Games helped him a lot with the victory in New York.

"Andy is a player with an impressive talent and I always said he would win a slam, not just one he'll win more than one."

Nadal spoke to Reuters at the launch of Rafa Dream Day for sponsors PokerStars (www.pokerstars.com) where fans can win the chance to meet him, play him at tennis and compete against him in a poker game in Majorca. The interview was conducted on September 17.

(Editing by Alison Wildey)

Sabratha
09-24-2012, 10:35 PM
It sounded like he was going to have the rest of the year off, last I heard.

RAFA2005RG
09-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Now you've heard differently, straight from the horse's mouth-

"If things go well and I can make the final and the captain thinks I am the right person to play it then I'll be there," he said. "If not, I'll be supporting the guys from afar."

That's not to say he'll definitely play this year. Even Nadal himself can't predict when he'll be 100%, regardless of how well his recuperation has been so far. But the intention is clear, and the progress is good enough to consider the Davis Cup final.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SYn8JPYagHI/AAAAAAAAIPE/RqQ4V-ra0rc/s400/nadal_palma_4.jpg

forzamilan90
09-25-2012, 05:01 AM
These Nadal news are confusing, one time he's coming back soon, may play DC, next thing you know I might miss the Australian Open...the ****?

RAFA2005RG
09-25-2012, 05:21 AM
These Nadal news are confusing, one time he's coming back soon, may play DC, next thing you know I might miss the Australian Open...the ****?

A lot of federer fans (including journalists and posters) are afraid of Nadal and don't want him to return. Ignore those and read the actual quotes from Nadal. His intention has always been the Davis Cup final. That hasn't changed. Doha looks like the most likely return date, assuming he's going to be as cautious as possible.

Paul Murphy
09-25-2012, 05:23 AM
A lot of federer fans (including journalists and posters) are afraid of Nadal and don't want him to return. Ignore those and read the actual quotes from Nadal.

Afraid? Really?
What a strange view.

RAFA2005RG
09-25-2012, 05:24 AM
Afraid? Really?
What a strange view.

Federer has lost 5 straight slam matches to Nadal. Is there any wonder?

rommil
09-25-2012, 05:31 AM
A lot of federer fans (including journalists and posters) are afraid of Nadal and don't want him to return.

Wrong. I want Rafa to return this very minute and not skip a tournament for at least the next two years, even until his 40th birthday, if he can last that long. I really want to see that:)

merwy
09-25-2012, 05:49 AM
A lot of federer fans (including journalists and posters) are afraid of Nadal and don't want him to return. Ignore those and read the actual quotes from Nadal. His intention has always been the Davis Cup final. That hasn't changed. Doha looks like the most likely return date, assuming he's going to be as cautious as possible.

Nah, I'm a Federer fan and I want them to play as many matches as possible, preferably Grand Slam matches. We've only had 2 Fedal matches this year and only one GS match. I know that their matches aren't always of the highest level, but it's still fun to watch two legends with opposite styles compete against each other. Also interesting to see how Federer tries to deal with Nadal's topspin groundstrokes to his backhand. Hope they get to play each other in Australia next year.

Mike Sams
09-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Nadal's trying to keep his sponsors happy with all this talk of his return. We all know Nadal is not going to win anything until April 2013 when clay season hits. He knows it too. In order for him to win on hardcourts, he has to go through any 2 of Federer, Djokovic, or Murray in back to back matches. And he doesn't have the talent to do that on hardcourts. He struggles mightily even against players like Tsonga and Del Potro so to even get to the semis is a task in itself let alone trying to then go through 2 of the big 4 back to back.
There's a reason why Nadal hasn't won a hardcourt Masters since Indian Wells 2009 where even still, he was lucky not to get dumped out in the 3rd round against Nalbandian after saving 5 MPs.

Mike Sams
09-25-2012, 06:49 AM

Federer still keeps on keeping on. Rafa on the other hand is waiting for Monte Carlo 2013. :)

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Federer still keeps on keeping on. Rafa on the other hand is waiting for Monte Carlo 2013. :)

The one place where he can win something

RAFA2005RG
09-25-2012, 07:27 AM
I saw this match at the 2012 Australian Open, Nadal beat Federer, and he only needed 4 sets. Federer even won the 1st set. Seems impossible for Federer to do it post-2007.

NDFM
09-25-2012, 07:30 AM
The one place where he can win something

He does win other tournaments bedisdes Monte Carlo, in recent years most o his tournament wins has come from the clay tournaments.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:30 AM
I saw this match at the 2012 Australian Open, Nadal beat Federer, and he only needed 4 sets. Federer even won the 1st set. Seems impossible for Federer to do it post-2007.

Fed went on to win wimby and reclaim the #1 ranking

RAFA2005RG
09-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Fed went on to win wimby and reclaim the #1 ranking

That's why federer fans wish Nadal was retired (to rule out the possibility of facing Nadal, aka 2012 Wimbledon). Only a few have admitted it, but its obvious when you read the anti-Nadal threads here lol.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:34 AM
That's why federer fans wish Nadal was retired (to rule out the possibility of facing Nadal, aka 2012 Wimbledon). Only a few have admitted it, but its obvious.

Ok I'm a fed fan and that's stupid yes you are right and some people do think that but I actually wanted nadal to come back ASAP but after his recent comments I'm not sure if tennis really needs him

RAFA2005RG
09-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Ok I'm a fed fan and that's stupid yes you are right and some people do think that but I actually wanted nadal to come back ASAP but after his recent comments I'm not sure if tennis really needs him

And there it is.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-25-2012, 07:37 AM

Agreed, I can't see Federer taking a second set anywhere, since Nadal seems to have full control of that aspect of their mental battle. You always hear the same excuses (like how Federer could have taken the 1st set at Roland Garros 2011), but he didn't, because Nadal always wins the mental battle. I think Federer should be happy with a 4-set loss (and pushing Nadal to two tiebreaks at AO 2012).

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-25-2012, 07:38 AM

Yep, because the moment Nadal returns, that slam H2H will worsen to catastrophic heights (think 14-2 in slams and 20+ victories over Federer). And the Federer fan will begin to crumble once more.

Tammo
09-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Is this like the reunion of 130 and his minions and mike sams?

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-25-2012, 07:44 AM

Sorry, haven't a clue what you're on about. Unless you're saying that you're my minion, in which case, sorry, that's not true, I don't need minions.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Yep, because the moment Nadal returns, that slam H2H will worsen to catastrophic heights (think 14-2 in slams and 20+ victories over Federer). And the Federer fan will begin to crumble once more.

I think you missed the part where I said his recent comments

NDFM
09-25-2012, 07:47 AM

I'm a nadal fan but your posts are probably the main reason why he is getting so much hate on here. We don't even know how long nadal will take to return to the top level, it might take a while. Remember when he came back from injury in 2009 he had an 11 month title drought so who knows how long before he starts winning anything?

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 07:50 AM
I'm a nadal fan but your posts are probably the main reason why he is getting so much hate on here. We don't even know how long nadal will take to return to the top level, it might take a while. Remember when he came back from injury in 2009 he had an 11 month title drought so who knows how long before he starts winning anything?

Actually,Nadal was despised on here long before ********* showed up. He is fanning the flames,but the hate was burning brightly already.

Tammo
09-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Sorry, haven't a clue what you're on about. Unless you're saying that you're my minion, in which case, sorry, that's not true, I don't need minions.

Just out of curiousity do you play tennis if so how good r u?

tusharlovesrafa
09-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Oh god!! what the hell is going on!!:)..I am dying with the laughter.

Mike Sams
09-25-2012, 09:26 AM
It was funny seeing Nadal flagrantly bodychecking Rosol when they were changing sides. Not to mention trying to stall during Rosol's service games. Nadal now makes excuses about the courts and indoor conditions. Poor sportsmanship displayed all round by Nadal.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Has nadal's PR team decided to sue the ATP for having hard courts?? They should ask them to be changed to clay immediately!!

namelessone
09-25-2012, 09:36 AM
It was funny seeing Nadal flagrantly bodychecking Rosol when they were changing sides. Not to mention trying to stall during Rosol's service games. Nadal now makes excuses about the courts and indoor conditions. Poor sportsmanship displayed all round by Nadal.

Nope, this is bodychecking :)

http://i46.tinypic.com/2j2yd1e.jpg

Mustard
09-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Has nadal's PR team decided to sue the ATP for having hard courts?? They should ask them to be changed to clay immediately!!

It would prolong players' careers, for sure.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-25-2012, 09:49 AM

I think that some hard-court tournaments should be changed to clay (Indian Wells-Miami are pointless tournaments), since too much of the calendar is played on hard-courts, which damage players' careers. And two grand slams are played on hard-courts, so one of them should be played on a cycle of clay/grass/hard-court (so next year would be a clay-court). USO 2013 should consider this.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 09:49 AM
It would prolong players' careers, for sure.

Player's being singular xD

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 09:50 AM
I think that some hard-court tournaments should be changed to clay (Indian Wells-Miami are pointless tournaments), since too much of the calendar is played on hard-courts, which damage players' careers. And two grand slams are played on hard-courts, so one of them should be played on a cycle of clay/grass/hard-court (so next year would be a clay-court). USO 2013 should consider this.

I guess I kinda agree but they would be better of extending the grass season and the USO lacks money for a roof from where they can they acquire money to do a surface change every year??

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-25-2012, 09:53 AM
I guess I kinda agree but they would be better of extending the grass season and the USO lacks money for a roof from where they can they acquire money to do a surface change every year??

The US Open have money for a roof, they just can't build one since supposedly the stadium isn't designed to have one (architectural issues).

http://2011.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_09042011_Nadal_2011_US_Open_435.jpg

I'm pretty sure they make enough money to do a simple surface change each year. Davis Cup do it fine, so US Open 2013 should be able to.

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Nadal's trying to keep his sponsors happy with all this talk of his return. We all know Nadal is not going to win anything until April 2013 when clay season hits. He knows it too. In order for him to win on hardcourts, he has to go through any 2 of Federer, Djokovic, or Murray in back to back matches. And he doesn't have the talent to do that on hardcourts. He struggles mightily even against players like Tsonga and Del Potro so to even get to the semis is a task in itself let alone trying to then go through 2 of the big 4 back to back.
There's a reason why Nadal hasn't won a hardcourt Masters since Indian Wells 2009 where even still, he was lucky not to get dumped out in the 3rd round against Nalbandian after saving 5 MPs.

I agree about sponsors. But, Rafa's fans deserve some hionesty. I for one am on the verge of worry about him returning.. He should declare R word now so that we have time to get over it for 2013.

NDFM
09-25-2012, 10:02 AM

I disagree that there should be a cycle of which surface to play on (higher costs involved as opposed to just having one surface). I don't think any tournament is pointless they are in the tour or a reason. They just need to extend the grass season a bit more and reduce some of the hard court tournaments (maybe space them out a bit?) at the end of the year as many of the top players are left tired one WTF comes around

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:04 AM
The US Open have money for a roof, they just can't build one since supposedly the stadium isn't designed to have one (architectural issues).

I'm pretty sure they make enough money to do a simple surface change each year. Davis Cup do it fine, so US Open 2013 should be able to.

David cup inst held in the same city ever year

NDFM
09-25-2012, 10:04 AM

how is this picture relevant? It doesn't show the 'architectural issues'

underground
09-25-2012, 10:09 AM
It's still the same bull. (Excuse me for the pun) No exact returning date, situation is the same as it was 2 months ago.

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 10:13 AM
It's still the same bull. (Excuse me for the pun) No exact returning date, situation is the same as it was 2 months ago.

Exactly, no return in sight! If you are not returning Rafa just say!!! So we can get used to it for 2013. I won't have another favourite player though!

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Exactly, no return in sight! If you are not returning Rafa just say!!! So we can get used to it for 2013. I won't have another favourite player though!

He doesn't know yet!! It's still hurting obviously give it time

Mike Sams
09-25-2012, 10:24 AM
I agree about sponsors. But, Rafa's fans deserve some hionesty. I for one am on the verge of worry about him returning.. He should declare R word now so that we have time to get over it for 2013.

He's going to return but it will be much closer to clay season where all his injuries miraculously heal for 2 months and then going back to being injured if he suffers a shock exit on grass.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:30 AM
He's going to return but it will be much closer to clay season where all his injuries miraculously heal for 2 months and then going back to being injured if he suffers a shock exit on grass.

LOL wouldn't surprise me if you we're spot on!!

Paul Murphy
09-25-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm a nadal fan but your posts are probably the main reason why he is getting so much hate on here.

I reckon you're spot on.
This strange fellow (6-1 6-3 6-0, also known as the banned ***) insinuates Nadal into into every thread he can.
This is the same guy who reckons Rafa looks better in his underwear than Wozniacki. ;) (My favourite post of his by the way).
I am a Fed fan because he's simply the finest player who's ever lived but I like Rafa and hope he'll be back to make the sport more interesting.
But 6-1 6-3 6-0 puts a lot of people offside by his idiocy and as you say, generates plenty of hate for Rafa that wouldn't otherwise be on here.

Murrayfan31
09-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I wish the Rafa news would end already. He's not that important. Especially since he is done now due to wear and tear.

RAFA2005RG
09-25-2012, 06:41 PM
I wish the Rafa news would end already. He's not that important. Especially since he is done now due to wear and tear.

You got to understand that federer's future rests entirely on whether or not Nadal is there. Federer can still beat Djokovic/Murray at slams. He can't beat Nadal, not since 2007.

So, federer fans are hanging on every word uttered by Nadal (and by any journalist/blogger). Considering the huge population of federer fans at talk tennis, you will see a lot of people going nuts right now because Nadal is refusing to give them a clear picture of his retirement date. His goal is the 2016 Olympics, yet he's opened a window for the haters because of Hoffa's Syndrome. It's a fairly tame condition, but its hope for the haters.

Murrayfan31
09-25-2012, 07:03 PM
You got to understand that federer's future rests entirely on whether or not Nadal is there. Federer can still beat Djokovic/Murray at slams. He can't beat Nadal, not since 2007.

So, federer fans are hanging on every word uttered by Nadal (and by any journalist/blogger). Considering the huge population of federer fans at talk tennis, you will see a lot of people going nuts right now because Nadal is refusing to give them a clear picture of his retirement date. His goal is the 2016 Olympics, yet he's opened a window for the haters because of Hoffa's Syndrome. It's a fairly tame condition, but its hope for the haters.
I'm not sure this is true. Fed fixed his backhand in 2011. He devastated Nadal in the WTF and Indian Wells. Fed's problem now seems to be that of a normal player that hits big. Like Murray and Berdych.

jokinla
09-25-2012, 07:10 PM

They just damage Nadal's career.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:12 PM
This board is way more worried about Rafa than Rafa himself!

RAFA2005RG
09-25-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure this is true. Fed fixed his backhand in 2011. He devastated Nadal in the WTF and Indian Wells. Fed's problem now seems to be that of a normal player that hits big. Like Murray and Berdych.

In between the 2011 WTF and 2012 Indian Wells I saw this match at the 2012 Australian Open. Federer was on a 26 match winning streak, and faced Nadal in the semis. Federer won the 1st set. That is all Federer won, as Nadal won in 4 sets.

Like I said, 5 straight wins for Nadal over Federer at the slams. 2 on hardcourt, 2 on clay, 1 on grass. And yeah, Federer has had regular wins over Nadal in best-of-3-set format, nothing new there.

RAFA2005RG
09-25-2012, 07:14 PM

Exactly, this board is an insane asylum, to say the least.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Exactly, this board is an insane asylum, to say the least.

LOL the lovers think he will spring out and win 2013 like nothing ever happened!! and the haters think he will be confined to a wheelchair for his entire life!. Hilarious really....

Sentinel
09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/24ovya8.jpg

Says he'll be back before start of next season.

Zarfot Z
09-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Not a fan of Nadal, but I have to admit tennis is much more boring without him.

tusharlovesrafa
09-26-2012, 05:33 AM

LOOOL..So true!!:)

Clarky21
09-26-2012, 06:58 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/24ovya8.jpg

Says he'll be back before start of next season.

No he didn't. He has not even given a date to when he will start practicing again so how could he have given a date to when he will return to the tour?

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 07:02 AM
No he didn't. He has not even given a date to when he will start practicing again so how could he have given a date to when he will return to the tour?

I think he means the poker tour :twisted:

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 07:08 AM
In between the 2011 WTF and 2012 Indian Wells I saw this match at the 2012 Australian Open. Federer was on a 26 match winning streak, and faced Nadal in the semis. Federer won the 1st set. That is all Federer won, as Nadal won in 4 sets.

Like I said, 5 straight wins for Nadal over Federer at the slams. 2 on hardcourt, 2 on clay, 1 on grass. And yeah, Federer has had regular wins over Nadal in best-of-3-set format, nothing new there.

Djokovic has crunched Federer in straights twice at the AO and dumped him out of the USO twice. Berdych likewise has taken Federer out of 2 Slams now on Federer's best surfaces.
So Nadal or no Nadal, Federer has enough trouble winning Slams. Nadal likewise is having trouble winning anything off clay. Heck Nadal isn't even a lock on clay at times if the tournament is played at altitude.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Not a fan of Nadal, but I have to admit tennis is much more boring without him.

Yeah, I like watching Nadal/Djokovic matches. Even on clay.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Djokovic has crunched Federer in straights twice at the AO and dumped him out of the USO twice. Berdych likewise has taken Federer out of 2 Slams now on Federer's best surfaces.
So Nadal or no Nadal, Federer has enough trouble winning Slams. Nadal likewise is having trouble winning anything off clay. Heck Nadal isn't even a lock on clay at times if the tournament is played at altitude.

Or it's blue! ;)

RAFA2005RG
09-26-2012, 10:29 PM

But Nadal is a lock to win Roland Garros, unless his parents divorce.

CMM
09-28-2012, 05:22 AM
Apparently Rafa will return to practice in a little over a week.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Nadal-va-reprendre-la-raquette/316063

Hope it's true. :) Toni was invited to Argentina and Brazil for some press conferences next week, so Rafa will probably start practicing again when he'll be back.

batz
09-28-2012, 05:51 AM

Hope it's true. :) Toni was invited to Argentina and Brazil for some press conferences next week, so Rafa will probably start practicing again when he'll be back.

Excellent news - let's hope it's right.

Prisoner of Birth
09-28-2012, 12:58 PM

Were Nadal fans afraid of Djokovic when he was slapping Nadal silly on all surfaces?

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Can't wait for Nadal's arrival at the Davis Cup (Final) 2012. If Nadal wins both his singles rubbers, he'll (once again) hold the (Open Era) record for the highest winning percentage (the record is currently held by Bjorn Borg). Nadal is setting new records with almost every match he plays. And when Nadal arrives at the 2013 clay-court season, he can steadily win all his pet tournaments (Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome and Roland Garros), where he can really pull away with the record for highest win percentage in Open Era history.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Were Nadal fans afraid of Djokovic when he was slapping Nadal silly on all surfaces?

Since 2007, Federer has showed little signs of improvement against Nadal in a slam. If anything, he has got worse. AO 2012 was a great example of how Nadal learns to adapt to his opponent (took it to a fifth set), and gain a mental edge. He was up 4-2 30-15, and I don't recall Federer ever being up 4-2 30-15 at AO 2009. So Nadal showed improvement against Djokovic (finally beat him at Roland Garros 2012, which involved the most tense 4th set in world history, where Nadal would extend his record to 52-1 and win his 7th Roland Garros, making him the only king of a slam at 50 titles), whilst Federer does not (has only been able to win a set in recent slam encounters, and it is usually a 7-5 or 7-6 set).

cluckcluck
09-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Just because he's practicing again, doesn't mean he'll play tournaments. He hasn't picked up a tennis racquet since Wimbledon so the quote of him potentially not returning until AO or after could very well be true.

Mike Sams
09-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Just because he's practicing again, doesn't mean he'll play tournaments. He hasn't picked up a tennis racquet since Wimbledon so the quote of him potentially not returning until AO or after could very well be true.

Nadal's keeping himself in the news and acting like tennis is on his mind just as a way to please his sponsors and keep his fans interested. He knows that if he gives up tennis, the bandwagon empties and the sponsorship money is gone. NOBODY cares about retired athletes, period!

Clarky21
09-28-2012, 03:53 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

R.Federer
09-28-2012, 03:54 PM
rafa is on the mend we just dont know how long the mend will be

cluckcluck
09-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Nadal's keeping himself in the news and acting like tennis is on his mind just as a way to please his sponsors and keep his fans interested. He knows that if he gives up tennis, the bandwagon empties and the sponsorship money is gone. NOBODY cares about retired athletes, period!

Case in point, Andy Roddick who?

Prisoner of Birth
09-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Case in point, Andy Roddick who?

People still talk about Pete Sampras and Rod Laver. And they will 100 years from now. I don't know what you two are getting at.

tennis_pro
09-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Since 2007, Federer has showed little signs of improvement against Nadal in a slam. If anything, he has got worse. AO 2012 was a great example of how Nadal learns to adapt to his opponent (took it to a fifth set), and gain a mental edge. He was up 4-2 30-15, and I don't recall Federer ever being up 4-2 30-15 at AO 2009. So Nadal showed improvement against Djokovic (finally beat him at Roland Garros 2012, which involved the most tense 4th set in world history, where Nadal would extend his record to 52-1 and win his 7th Roland Garros, making him the only king of a slam at 50 titles), whilst Federer does not (has only been able to win a set in recent slam encounters, and it is usually a 7-5 or 7-6 set).

Federer was exactly 4-2 30-15 up in the first set. Won the second. Had two 0-40's at 4-4 and 5-5 in the third set, won the fourth.

tennis_pro
09-28-2012, 11:37 PM

If he starts practicng in just over a week that means he skips Shanghai. I assume he doesn't play Basel (nor Valencia) as he never has which means he's got 2 more possible tournaments to participate in - the Paris Masters and the Tennis Masters Cup without much success in neither of the 2 (1 final reached in both).

Seriously, what's the point? If I were him I'd take the rest of the year off (possibly play the DC final if he feels OK), fully recuperate and start 2013 with a bang.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Federer was exactly 4-2 30-15 up in the first set. Won the second. Had two 0-40's at 4-4 and 5-5 in the third set, won the fourth.

I meant in the fifth set. And Nadal proved that in a fifth set, it's Nadal who can raise his level. (Since Wimbledon 2007.)

merlinpinpin
09-29-2012, 02:16 AM
I meant in the fifth set. And Nadal proved that in a fifth set, it's Nadal who can raise his level. (Since Wimbledon 2007.)

Just like he did against Djokovic at the AO or against Rosol in Wimbledon, you mean? Right.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Just like he did against Djokovic at the AO or against Rosol in Wimbledon, you mean? Right.

I'm comparing Nadal vs Djokovic to Federer vs Nadal. (Nadal has a better 5-set record than Federer by a wide margin, by the way.) Nadal vs Rosol isn't relevant here (it's unlikely they'll ever meet again, since Rosol is too terrible a player to even qualify for main draws).

merlinpinpin
09-29-2012, 02:24 AM
I'm comparing Nadal vs Djokovic to Federer vs Nadal. (Nadal has a better 5-set record than Federer by a wide margin, by the way.) Nadal vs Rosol isn't relevant here (it's unlikely they'll ever meet again, since Rosol is too terrible a player to even qualify for main draws).

No reason why he wouldn't be. As long as you're talking about :) RNadal's :) record in 5th sets in slams, then Rosol is definitely relevant, as he beat him in five in his last official match (in fact, :) RNadal :) lost his last two five-set matches, who knows when that trend will ever end, if ever?)

RAFA2005RG
09-29-2012, 09:16 AM
If he starts practicng in just over a week that means he skips Shanghai. I assume he doesn't play Basel (nor Valencia) as he never has which means he's got 2 more possible tournaments to participate in - the Paris Masters and the Tennis Masters Cup without much success in neither of the 2 (1 final reached in both).

Seriously, what's the point? If I were him I'd take the rest of the year off (possibly play the DC final if he feels OK), fully recuperate and start 2013 with a bang.

Nah. The matches Rafa plays this year are preparation for the Australian Open. Doha alone won't be enough. If he starts playing in January he probably won't be in great condition for the Australian Open, regardless of training. He needs match practice, and he needs it now.

PrinceMoron
09-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Nah. The matches Rafa plays this year are preparation for the Australian Open. Doha alone won't be enough. If he starts playing in January he probably won't be in great condition for the Australian Open, regardless of training. He needs match practice, and he needs it now.

He needs to retire or change his technique or change his schedule. None of those are going to happen so catch him while you can.

RAFA2005RG
09-29-2012, 09:07 PM
He needs to retire or change his technique or change his schedule. None of those are going to happen so catch him while you can.

Actually twice since the US Open Rafa has said he will play less hardcourt events from now on and he even said he will add more clay events (the South American season) to his schedule. Don't forget, his only career goal is the 2016 Olympics. No other goals. So you will see him do whatever it takes to make those Olympics, even if it means only playing Roland Garros and Wimbledon (though I suspect he will play all the slams, just not all the masters).

PrinceMoron
10-03-2012, 04:21 AM
Actually twice since the US Open Rafa has said he will play less hardcourt events from now on and he even said he will add more clay events (the South American season) to his schedule. Don't forget, his only career goal is the 2016 Olympics. No other goals. So you will see him do whatever it takes to make those Olympics, even if it means only playing Roland Garros and Wimbledon (though I suspect he will play all the slams, just not all the masters).

Well it would be good for him to defend a major other than FO, that seems a reasonable goal.

Tennis_Hands
10-03-2012, 04:41 AM

I LOL every time, when I think about Nadal, being motivated to carry on just to participate in a tourney on HC.

:lol:

RAFA2005RG
10-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Well it would be good for him to defend a major other than FO, that seems a reasonable goal.

I don't see the appeal personally. But each to their own. I'd rather see Rafa win 12 Roland Garros titles than defend a different major. He won slams on clay-grass-hard in 2010. Who else can say that?

Mike Sams
10-03-2012, 07:58 AM

What's so special about the 2016 Olympics?

RAFA2005RG
10-03-2012, 08:00 AM
What's so special about the 2016 Olympics?

It is Rafa's only goal. He didn't carry the flag in 2008, so he wants to in 2016.

Mike Sams
10-03-2012, 08:01 AM
It is Rafa's only goal. He didn't carry the flag in 2008, so he wants to in 2016.

Why didn't he carry it in 2012 Olympics? All he had to do was walk down the track with it. :lol:

RAFA2005RG
10-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Why didn't he carry it in 2012 Olympics? All he had to do was walk down the track with it. :lol:

I think you have to be a competitor at the Olympics in order to qualify for the carrying.

Mike Sams
10-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Nadal won't be considered as a flag bearer in 2016 Olympics. He'll be 30, his Slam winning days will be long over and other players will be at the forefront. There will be better spanish athletes given the honor of carrying the flag. 4 years for a tennis player is a long time away, especially for Nadal who is getting up in age for a tennis player coupled with all his injuries.

Mike Sams
10-03-2012, 08:05 AM
I think you have to be a competitor at the Olympics in order to qualify for the carrying.

Why didn't he compete then? All he had to do was show up on grass, get smashed out or just quit while losing?

RAFA2005RG
10-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Nadal won't be considered as a flag bearer in 2016 Olympics. He'll be 30, his Slam winning days will be long over and other players will be at the forefront. There will be better spanish athletes given the honor of carrying the flag. 4 years for a tennis player is a long time away, especially for Nadal who is getting up in age for a tennis player coupled with all his injuries.

Well his days of winning Roland Garros won't be over by 2016. And the clay season alone will keep him in the top 5.

RAFA2005RG
10-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Why didn't he compete then? All he had to do was show up on grass, get smashed out or just quit while losing?

Because he cares about his country. He wanted a healthy athlete to represent Spain.

Mike Sams
10-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Well his days of winning Roland Garros won't be over by 2016. And the clay season alone will keep him in the top 5.

He'll be in his 30s! He won't be winning on clay forever! Even a slight decrease in movement or speed would decrease his chances of winning while increasing the chances of his opponents who will be younger and stronger than him. Do you think Nadal wins clay matches serving out bagels? He has difficult matches on clay. Look at his Monte Carlo, Madrid and Rome matches against players like Wawrinka, Federer, Murray, Berdych, Djokovic, etc. He's losing sets or going into tiebreakers. He's not EASILY winning matches on clay. And then fast forward to 4 years later where his body will be even weaker, his knees will be worse, his speed, quickness and stamina will be less....
Nobody gets better at age 30 in tennis, especially a player who started playing at age 16-17 and plays a violent rigorous style like Nadal.
Don't kid yourself into thinking that Nadal is going to easily win all clay tournaments for years and years. Everything is going to be a struggle. The competition is going to get stronger against him.

RF20Lennon
10-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Anyone know who carried the flag for Spain??

Mike Sams
10-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Anyone know who carried the flag for Spain??

Gasol, the spanish basketball player

Mike Sams
10-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Because he cares about his country. He wanted a healthy athlete to represent Spain.

And how does Nadal know he'll be healthy in 2016 Olympics at age 30? :shock:

RAFA2005RG
10-03-2012, 08:37 AM
He'll be in his 30s! He won't be winning on clay forever! Even a slight decrease in movement or speed would decrease his chances of winning while increasing the chances of his opponents who will be younger and stronger than him. Do you think Nadal wins clay matches serving out bagels? He has difficult matches on clay. Look at his Monte Carlo, Madrid and Rome matches against players like Wawrinka, Federer, Murray, Berdych, Djokovic, etc. He's losing sets or going into tiebreakers. He's not EASILY winning matches on clay. And then fast forward to 4 years later where his body will be even weaker, his knees will be worse, his speed, quickness and stamina will be less....
Nobody gets better at age 30 in tennis, especially a player who started playing at age 16-17 and plays a violent rigorous style like Nadal.
Don't kid yourself into thinking that Nadal is going to easily win all clay tournaments for years and years. Everything is going to be a struggle. The competition is going to get stronger against him.

So you think Rafa will go from dropping only ONE set at Roland Garros (and no dropped sets at Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome) to not even being a favorite in 4 years? Which year does he stop being a favorite? 2015? 2014? Next year? :lol:

You are making the mistake of comparing Federer's decline at the US Open to Rafa at Roland Garros. Federer was NEVER as dominant at the US Open as Rafa is at Roland Garros. And Federer was never as dominant at Wimbledon as much as Rafa is at Roland Garros. Rafa has won SEVEN titles in EIGHT years at Roland Garros.

It never came as naturally to Federer. Federer had to endure multiple 1st Round losses at Wimbledon. Next year when Rafa has his 9th STRAIGHT slam-winning year, it will set the record. And as Rafa gets older you will see even more longevity records smashed.

Rafa is simply better on clay than any man has ever been on any surface. So don't judge him by what you've seen from others. Nobody in history has anything to do with Rafa. He is going places nobody has gone before.

VPhuc tennis fan
10-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Boy, *** used to claim RG is Rafa's for the next 6 yrs. Lately Rafa2005RG has taken up the trumpet. My question,"Why stop at 5 or 6 RG titles? Why not the next dozen? Or the next hundred?" Quite delusional!
Who says that Djoker or even Murray won't give a spanking to Rafa, right next FO? Djoker seems to be healthy, 1 year younger than Rafa, and OWNED Rafa in 2011. So who says he won't own Rafa again in 2013. Unless Fed spanks him out, then Rafa should have Fed's name along with his on the next RG title! LOL

RAFA2005RG
10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Djokovic owned nobody in 2011 Roland Garros. It's just not his thing.

RF20Lennon
10-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Djokovic owned nobody in 2011 Roland Garros. It's just not his thing.

Depends on what your definition of owning is

ruerooo
10-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Your username suits you.

:-?