PDA

View Full Version : Rafa: I'm not sure that I will play the Australian Open

batz
09-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Looks like DC and WTF are out of the question. Hopes to play Doha nd AO but isn't sure he'll make it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2208011/Rafael-Nadal-interview-struggle-injury.html

Sentinel
09-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Should focus on next year's clay season, and leave AO. This looks bad, hope he gets back soon. Would hate to hear the R word.

Sabratha
09-25-2012, 12:41 AM
So, yesterday he was talking about being back in a couple of weeks, now he thinks he will miss the Australian Open?

CMM
09-25-2012, 12:50 AM
So, yesterday he was talking about being back in a couple of weeks, now he thinks he will miss the Australian Open?

No, he doesn't think he'll miss the AO. He said his goal is to start the season in perfect condition in Doha and then AO, but he can't be completely sure of what's going to happen.
The title is misleading.

batz
09-25-2012, 01:02 AM
No, he doesn't think he'll miss the AO. He said his goal is to start the season in perfect condition in Doha and then AO, but he can't be completely sure of what's going to happen.
The title is misleading.

In what way. Being sure is binary - he's either sure he'll play or he's not, and at the moment, he's not. What's misleading about that?

Direct quote:'I hope you see me in Australia,’ says Nadal, who is in the Spanish capital to promote his involvement with PokerStars. ‘That is the biggest goal for me, to come back just before then in Qatar, but I cannot say for sure it is going to happen.

15_ounce
09-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Makes me wonder if the silent ban is actually true....

CMM
09-25-2012, 01:04 AM
There's an interview in L'Equipe today and in this part he says that he sees no reason why after a break of 3 or 4 months he shouldn't be able to come back at his best level, and also that his goal is to start the season in perfect condition, at Doha and AO.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2rnycnr.png

CMM
09-25-2012, 01:07 AM
In what way. Being sure is binary - he's either sure he'll play or he's not, and at the moment, he's not. What's misleading about that?

From the way you wrote it people will think this

now he thinks he will miss the Australian Open?

batz
09-25-2012, 01:10 AM
From the way you wrote it people will think this

The guy himself says he is not sure it will happen - that's a direct quote. I said in my OP that he 'hopes' to play Doha and AO. I'm still not sure what I've posted that is misleading.

CMM
09-25-2012, 01:12 AM
The guy himself says he is not sure it will happen - that's a direct quote. I said in my OP that he 'hopes' to play Doha and AO. I'm still not sure what I've posted that is misleading.

You chose to highlight the negative part. :)
Also, I trust L'Equipe more than Daily Mail. His comments there sound more positive.

Prisoner of Birth
09-25-2012, 01:15 AM
I don't even understand what's happening. A torn tendon? Wasn't it "just" Hoffa's Syndrome a few weeks ago?

sdont
09-25-2012, 01:15 AM

Seems OK to me.

Probably a case of shooting the messenger.

batz
09-25-2012, 01:16 AM
You chose to highlight the negative part. :)

No - I chose to highlight the salient part.

I hope to have sex with Kelly Brooke, but it is unlikely to happen.

It is the second part of the sentence above that matters.

Seriously mate - all I'm doing is reporting what was said. I have no agenda against Rafa.

roysid
09-25-2012, 01:19 AM
All the predictions about Nadal to be seriously hit by injuries during 2006 itself is coming to be true.

kalyan4fedever
09-25-2012, 01:21 AM
If he plays ao and is out in the earlier rounds he is done. Seems like he will announcing the retirement soon may be after AO and rosol will be remembered as the one kicking nadal into retirement for whatever reason his knees fell apart after wimby 2nd round. Dont expect him kicking like he has done in '11. There will be no third coming if he fails.

CMM
09-25-2012, 01:24 AM
No - I chose to highlight the salient part.

I hope to have sex with Kelly Brooke, but it is unlikely to happen.

It is the second part of the sentence above that matters.

Seriously mate - all I'm doing is reporting what was said. I have no agenda against Rafa.
I didn't say you have one. In fact, I think you're one of the best posters on this forum. He didn't say it's unlikely that he would play the AO, just that he takes things day by day.
However, his goal is to be in perfect condition at the start of next season.
http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/nadal-commencer-en_sto3435956/story.shtml

kalyan4fedever
09-25-2012, 01:28 AM
"His game has not changed practically at all but winning the Olympic Games helped him a lot with the victory in New York."-- Rafa about murray hahaha ;)

Zarfot Z
09-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Didn't his uncle say he was going to play the Davis Cup just a few days after the US Open?

merwy
09-25-2012, 01:41 AM

Nothing was misleading, your title was just fine.

Hood_Man
09-25-2012, 02:08 AM
It sounds more and more like a mix of resting an injury, and a young millionaire enjoying his freedom to me.

rommil
09-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Kevin James has fat pads all over his body and showed up and played at the USOpen:)

Jackuar
09-25-2012, 02:51 AM

I second that...! Now the doubt is starting to grow.... I didn't believe it all this time but now.... :(

tennis_pro
09-25-2012, 03:14 AM
Wow, if Nadal misses the AO he's almost sure to drop to no 5 as Ferrer is not much behind in the rankings.

Can you imagine one of the big 4 dropping out of the top 4? This is some news.

mistik
09-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Nadal and his team are attention maniac people,they love publicity good or bad not matters.It is best to ignore them.

Sabratha
09-25-2012, 03:46 AM
Wow, if Nadal misses the AO he's almost sure to drop to no 5 as Ferrer is not much behind in the rankings.

Can you imagine one of the big 4 dropping out of the top 4? This is some news.
I think the big 4 are going to become the big 3 in the very near future.

mental midget
09-25-2012, 04:17 AM
this was my guess in a different thread. no nadal until clay season next year. hasn't touched a racket? that seems like an extreme measure. anyone remember thomas muster in the wheelchair after his accident?

guy is sick of tennis, so what's the incentive to come back, really? he's probably looking at the gap between 11 and 17 and realizing that is a tough road to haul. being the undisputed king of clay and having a career slam in his pocket isn't a bad way to go out. he's on the short list of all-time greats. maybe it's time to hang the 'gone fishing' sign once and for all.

rommil
09-25-2012, 04:22 AM
guy is sick of tennis,

He is sick of Uncle Toni:(

Cup8489
09-25-2012, 04:35 AM
Bad news for tennis =/

Surecatch
09-25-2012, 04:41 AM
this was my guess in a different thread. no nadal until clay season next year. hasn't touched a racket? that seems like an extreme measure. anyone remember thomas muster in the wheelchair after his accident?

guy is sick of tennis, so what's the incentive to come back, really? he's probably looking at the gap between 11 and 17 and realizing that is a tough road to haul. being the undisputed king of clay and having a career slam in his pocket isn't a bad way to go out. he's on the short list of all-time greats. maybe it's time to hang the 'gone fishing' sign once and for all.

The guy is an elite athlete.......the desire to compete is overwhelming for guys like Rafa'. I doubt he's "sick of tennis," but he may be accepting of this rest period as just that...a rest period.

OverratedIvanovic
09-25-2012, 05:37 AM
If he plays ao and is out in the earlier rounds he is done. Seems like he will announcing the retirement soon may be after AO and rosol will be remembered as the one kicking nadal into retirement for whatever reason his knees fell apart after wimby 2nd round. Dont expect him kicking like he has done in '11. There will be no third coming if he fails.

Federer fans having wet dreams :lol:

vive le beau jeu !
09-25-2012, 05:42 AM
he should skip this AO exhibition in order to focus on poker and golf.

sureshs
09-25-2012, 05:44 AM
Rafa is just taking a break and giving a chance to players like Murray to win something here and there before he returns.

dudeski
09-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Looks like DC and WTF are out of the question. Hopes to play Doha nd AO but isn't sure he'll make it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2208011/Rafael-Nadal-interview-struggle-injury.html

LOL. I guess he only likes clay. If MC started tomorrow you know he would be playing it.

rommil
09-25-2012, 05:47 AM
LOL. I guess he only likes clay. .

Only if it isn't blue:(

beast of mallorca
09-25-2012, 05:57 AM

Federer fans having wet dreams :lol:

The thought of Rafa retiring was 'orgasmic' to the *******s........:twisted::twisted:

CMM
09-25-2012, 06:21 AM
Rafa said 'I can't walk on court right now and play tennis' and many "journalists" from my country chose to remove the "on court right now and play tennis" part.
So the title says Rafael Nadal's drama: "I can't walk."
Can't believe these people get paid for this. http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111107003558/runescape/images/1/1f/Emoticon-Facepalm.gif

batz
09-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Rafa said 'I can't walk on court right now and play tennis' and many "journalists" from my country chose to remove the "on court right now and play tennis" part.
So the title says Rafael Nadal's drama: "I can't walk."
Can't believe these people get paid for this. http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111107003558/runescape/images/1/1f/Emoticon-Facepalm.gif

Now that's a mis-leading title :)

cknobman
09-25-2012, 06:37 AM
This quote from Raafa stood out for me:

‘I can’t pretend not to play on hard courts when two of the Slams are on hard courts, but there is a mistake with our game. You don’t watch footballers playing on a hard surface, or basketball players, those sports with rapid movements.
‘It’s not going to change for me and my generation. Hard courts are very negative for the body. I know the sport is a business and creating these courts is easier than clay or grass, but I am 100 per cent sure it is wrong. I may have to play more on clay than before but there aren’t that many options.’

Sure nothing is wrong with you or your playstyle Rafa, its all the sports fault for making you play on a bad surface :rolleyes:

FYI they have been playing on hardcourts for freaking 30+ years with many many players having long and successful careers. Sure they are overused but trying to get rid of the surface?? LOL

Mike Sams
09-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Nadal is a momentum player. When his confidence takes a slight hit, his ENTIRE season goes to hell. So then he has no choice but to wait until Monte Carlo to get some momentum going again. Unfortunately for Nadal, guys like Djokovic are going to stop him from ever winning anything off clay ever again so Nadal will need to start playing more clay tournaments.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 06:50 AM
I was really wishing him a full recovery but after his comments about hard courts he's just lost my respe t entirely. We're not supposed to play on hard courts because its bad for the body??? Rafa please enlighten me how a 37 Jimmy Connors was able to outperform you on this surface when you claim it's bad. I agree clay and grass are easier on the body but on hard courts much much easier to get a grip!! so according to nadal the tennis people grow up playing in America is not "true tennis"?? The real reason!!! Is that he can't win anything off clay and so he starts blaming hard courts to injure his body! Pathetic!!

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 06:53 AM

ĎI canít pretend not to play on hard courts when two of the Slams are on hard courts, but there is a mistake with our game. You donít watch footballers playing on a hard surface, or basketball players, those sports with rapid movements.
ĎItís not going to change for me and my generation. Hard courts are very negative for the body. I know the sport is a business and creating these courts is easier than clay or grass, but I am 100 per cent sure it is wrong. I may have to play more on clay than before but there arenít that many options.í

Sure nothing is wrong with you or your playstyle Rafa, its all the sports fault for making you play on a bad surface :rolleyes:

FYI they have been playing on hardcourts for freaking 30+ years with many many players having long and successful careers. Sure they are overused but trying to get rid of the surface?? LOL

No wonder so many here hate this guy, I get the feeling he's just,dot interest and blaming everything he can find.

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 07:02 AM
No wonder so many here hate this guy, I get the feeling he's just,dot interest and blaming everything he can find.

The reason Nadal is hated so much here is because this place is full to the brim with raging,rabid *******s,and I need not explain to you why they would despise him because the record(literally)speaks for itself. It's got nothing to do with him not liking hardcourts. I think you are well aware of this,but continue to bs if you like.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:03 AM
The reason Nadal is hated so much here is because this place is full to the brim with raging,rabid *******s,and I need not explain to you why they would despise him because the record(literally)speaks for itself. It's got nothing to do with him not liking hardcourts. I think you are well aware of this,but continue to bs if you like.

I'm a fed fan I dislike his style but I don't hate him!! But this just ticked me off!!

NDFM
09-25-2012, 07:06 AM

ĎI canít pretend not to play on hard courts when two of the Slams are on hard courts, but there is a mistake with our game. You donít watch footballers playing on a hard surface, or basketball players, those sports with rapid movements.
ĎItís not going to change for me and my generation. Hard courts are very negative for the body. I know the sport is a business and creating these courts is easier than clay or grass, but I am 100 per cent sure it is wrong. I may have to play more on clay than before but there arenít that many options.í

I don't think he said he wants to get rid of the surface. He probably meant that there are too many hard court tournaments. I think there should be more grass tournaments so everything can balance out a bit

Mike Sams
09-25-2012, 07:10 AM

Kinda like how much Djokovic was despised by you and your fellow *******s :lol:

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:11 AM
I don't think he said he wants to get rid of the surface. He probably meant that there are too many hard court tournaments. I think there should be more grass tournaments so everything can balance out a bit

Agreed!!!! That's exactly why I said before upgrade Halle/Queens and zeastbourne to a 1000 then we have slow plexicushion in Australia slow ID and Miami to follow. Take out Madrid then Monte Carlo and Rome before the French then Halle/queens and eastbourne before wimby and slightly faster Montreal and Cincy before USO and the indoor shanghai and Bercy before the London WTF it's perfect!! 4 slams 2masters following or before each slam and 2 masters before the WTF

Rocky89
09-25-2012, 07:20 AM
I was really wishing him a full recovery but after his comments about hard courts he's just lost my respe t entirely. We're not supposed to play on hard courts because its bad for the body??? Rafa please enlighten me how a 37 Jimmy Connors was able to outperform you on this surface when you claim it's bad. I agree clay and grass are easier on the body but on hard courts much much easier to get a grip!! so according to nadal the tennis people grow up playing in America is not "true tennis"?? The real reason!!! Is that he can't win anything off clay and so he starts blaming hard courts to injure his body! Pathetic!!

Pray tell when did Nadal say it's not real tennis? All he said is that hardcourts are damaging to the body and there are too many hardcourts, which is true.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Pray tell when did Nadal say it's not real tennis? All he said is that hardcourts are damaging to the body and [/I]there are too many hardcourts, which is true.

That I agree but there only damaging if you try sliding on them so its his fault

mistik
09-25-2012, 07:35 AM
That I agree but there only damaging if you try sliding on them so its his fault

Hard courts isnt healthy thats a fact.Nadal style of play not helping him either,thats for sure ,but it is still not a good surface for the body.Before Nadal ı was a fan of Sampras and Edberg ı still think it is wrong that most of the tournaments played on hard courts.First it hardly the most enjoyable surface to play and watch.I never played on grass but ı still believe this is the most beautiful surface for the game.Unfortunately grass courts and clay courts are expensive and hard courts are the cheapest stuff.

Sim
09-25-2012, 07:35 AM

Really? They're damaging even if you don't slide on hard court. I know so many recreational players that get pain in the knees after playing on hard. Mind you, this is mostly the older folks...

With how intense Nadal's movement on the court is and the mileage that he has, his knees can only take so much, especially on a hard surface. Of course, this also applies to Murray and Djokovic. None of them will last as long as Fed.

I'm not defending Rafa's stance on hard courts, but it's ridiculous to say you only get injured if you slide... O.O

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Really? They're damaging even if you don't slide on hard court. I know so many recreational players that get pain in the knees after playing on hard. Mind you, this is mostly the older folks...

With how intense Nadal's movement on the court is and the mileage that he has, his knees can only take so much, especially on a hard surface. Of course, this also applies to Murray and Djokovic. None of them will last as long as Fed.

I'm not defending Rafa's stance on hard courts, but it's ridiculous to say you only get injured if you slide... O.O

Does federer get to play in a different sort of hard (cushion) court than these guys?? Did Sampras?? Did Agassi?? Did McCenroe?? Did Connors (who played till his late 30's?? I already said I agree clay is easier for your knees but I've played in hard courts all my life!! So either it's because nadal runs around like a rabbit and keeps sliding which obvious,y isn't required or that on his side the court is always extra hard and firm

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:41 AM

No I said that's usually why rafa gets injured not that it's the only way to get injured

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Does federer get to play in a different sort of hard (cushion) court than these guys?? Did Sampras?? Did Agassi?? Did McCenroe?? Did Connors (who played till his late 30's?? I already said I agree clay is easier for your knees but I've played in hard courts all my life!! So either it's because nadal runs around like a rabbit and keeps sliding which obvious,y isn't required or that on his side the court is always extra hard and firm

Didn't Agassi say that playing on hard courts messed up his back?

Sim
09-25-2012, 07:47 AM

Yeah, so what are you asking? You just answered your own question by saying Nadal's style is not easy on the body. Sliding or not, his style is based on defending. You mention Fed, Sampras, Connors, Agassi, and McEnroe, but their style was not to defend the way Nadal does today.

Do you also know that the courts are slower today, which puts even more mileage on the knees?

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Didn't Agassi say that playing on hard courts messed up his back?

He had a shoulder injury I think but didn't withdraw for 3 months like nadal. Don't get me wrong rafa should come back but these recent comments have just ticked me off

Sim
09-25-2012, 07:49 AM
No I said that's usually why rafa gets injured not that it's the only way to get injured

Yeah? Read that quote of yours above...

mistik
09-25-2012, 07:50 AM
He had a shoulder injury I think but didn't withdraw for 3 months like nadal. Don't get me wrong rafa should come back but these recent comments have just ticked me off

If he indeed say indoor tennis isnt real tennis thats stupid.I think he has a point that hard courts arent the best surface for the game.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Yeah? Read that quote of yours above...

I meant the drastic injury he has now not the regular day to day injuries that can happen on any surface!!

CMM
09-25-2012, 07:51 AM
He's scheduled to play Abu Dhabi, with Murray and Djokovic. I guess Federer will be too tired after the South American exos.

Event information:
The Mubadala World Tennis Championship brings together six of the worldís top menís players in a 3 day competition held at the Abu Dhabi International Tennis Complex at Zayed Sports City from 27 to 29 December 2012.

This year's line-up is the most diverse in the tournament's history and welcomes back British #1 and World #3 Andy Murray who is looking to retain his 2009 title. He is joined by World #2 and defending champion Novak Djokovic along two time champion and World #4 Rafael Nadal. The remainder of the field, all within the top 10 in the world, includes the fiery World #5 David Ferrer, World #6 Tomas Berdych rounded out with the competitive World #9 JankoTipsarevic.

http://www.ae.ticketmaster.com/event/mubadala-world-tennis-championship-day-3-tickets/227

Let's hope he makes it. :)

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:53 AM
He's scheduled to play Abu Dhabi, with Murray and Djokovic. I guess Federer will be too tired after the South American exos.

http://www.ae.ticketmaster.com/event/mubadala-world-tennis-championship-day-3-tickets/227

Let's hope he makes it. :)

Oh fed is out?? :(

NDFM
09-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Oh fed is out?? :(

Doesn't he always play this tournament? I've seen videos on the ATP where he and nadal always do some sort of press thing like playing on water or around candles, or is this not the same tournament?

CMM
09-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Doesn't he always play this tournament? I've seen videos on the ATP where he and nadal always do some sort of press thing like playing on water or around candles, or is this not the same tournament?

That's Doha. The Abu Dhabi thing is just an exhibition and top players use it as practice.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:57 AM

That's in Doha!! To kick off the ATP tour :)

SQA333
09-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Please don't play.
If only he retired instead of Andy Roddick. :(

tusharlovesrafa
09-25-2012, 09:04 AM
The thought of Rafa retiring was 'orgasmic' to the *******s........:twisted::twisted:

Hahahahaha...Epic one!:)...

marc45
09-25-2012, 09:11 AM

yes, the dreaded silent ban, just like the rigged draws....the facts all add up to this, i just would like to see them, but if not i guess speculation and suspicion (and hatred) is just as good

Hood_Man
09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Orgasmic would be Federer winning all 4 majors next year, beating Djokovic in all 4 semis, and Nadal in all 4 finals. All in 5 sets.

And not just the semi finals and finals, I mean 5 sets in every round. 56 totals sets lost across the year.

Now that's orgasmic http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee105/Prometheus364/Emoticons/Sexual%20Emoticons/orgasm-3.jpg

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Please don't play.
If only he retired instead of Andy Roddick. :(

Could you possibly be more pathetic? You are a joke,and reading your posts instantly lowers the reader's IQ. My ignore list eats another one.

tusharlovesrafa
09-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Orgasmic would be Federer winning all 4 majors next year, beating Djokovic in all 4 semis, and Nadal in all 4 finals. All in 5 sets.

And not just the semi finals and finals, I mean 5 sets in every round. 56 totals sets lost across the year.

Now that's orgasmic http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee105/Prometheus364/Emoticons/Sexual%20Emoticons/orgasm-3.jpg

huh?? Dude,just jerk yourself off.What's the point going through the whole year just to get the stuff done.:twisted:

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 09:15 AM

Wow,this is the fantasy to end all fantasies. Lol.

Hood_Man
09-25-2012, 09:16 AM
huh?? Dude,just jerk yourself off.What's the point going through the whole year just to get the stuff done.:twisted:

Wow,this is the fantasy to end all fantasies. Lol.

Can't read, I've gone all cross-eyed http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee105/Prometheus364/Emoticons/Sexual%20Emoticons/orgasm-3.jpg

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 09:20 AM

No!! Without a loss of a set that would be total orgasm!!!!!

Hood_Man
09-25-2012, 09:26 AM
No!! Without a loss of a set that would be total orgasm!!!!!

It has to be one or the other I think :twisted: Maybe in your straight sets Grand Slam he can save about a million set points, to add to the drama :p

namelessone
09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Could you possibly be more pathetic? You are a joke,and reading your posts instantly lowers the reader's IQ. My ignore list eats another one.

Ignore him/her. Anybody that wants a legend to retire because they don't like him isn't a fan of tennis.

On a side note, it's really bad if Rafa skips AO. Jesus, to be six months out and still not be ready does not bode well for his future. Plus, he needs some time when he comes back(see Delpo's struggles) and we don't know if he can climb back on the ladder, this isn't the WTA where you can take a couple years off and come back kicking ***.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 09:32 AM
It has to be one or the other I think :twisted: Maybe in your straight sets Grand Slam he can save about a million set points, to add to the drama :p

Yes agreed!!!!!!! :twisted: OMG I would have fulfilled my life's purpose if I got to see that season ;)

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Ignore him/her. Anybody that wants a legend to retire because they don't like him isn't a fan of tennis.

On a side note, it's really bad if Rafa skips AO. Jesus, to be six months out and still not be ready does not bode well for his future. Plus, he needs some time when he comes back(see Delpo's struggles) and we don't know if he can climb back on the ladder, this isn't the WTA where you can take a couple years off and come back kicking ***.

LOL true that!!!!

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Yes agreed!!!!!!! :twisted: OMG I would have fulfilled my life's purpose if I got to see that season ;)

Too bad your life's purpose will never be fulfilled then. :lol:

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 09:38 AM

Done. That thing has been placed on my ignore list permanently.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Too bad your life's purpose will never be fulfilled then. :lol:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( lol

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Rafa, just say you will never play again. He is so not returning. I guess, I won't be an avid tennis fan anymore :(. With my favourite player gone. Rafa should be honest now. I hope that Rafa fans know not to buy toickets for next year as it seems he won't be present. I never thought Rafa's career would end like this, not in my wildest dreams :(. Us Rafa fans always suffer.

batz
09-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Rafa, just say you will never play again. He is so not returning. I guess, I won't be an avid tennis fan anymore :(. With my favourite player gone. Rafa should be honest now. I hope that Rafa fans know not to buy toickets for next year as it seems he won't be present. I never thought Rafa's career would end like this, not in my wildest dreams :(. Us Rafa fans always suffer.

Steady on now - nobody with any credibility is saying he won't come back. He'll return.

NDFM
09-25-2012, 09:56 AM

Have some belief. I'm not going to expect too much from Rafa when he returns. He had a great first half of 2012 (excluding round 2 of wimbledon) so its not been all bad for me as a fan. I'll still watch tennis whether he comes back with less intensity as before or doesn't come back at all (very unlikely). He does have the chance to gain so much post round 2 of wimbledon next year so we will see what happens come 2013.

And remember he didn't say he will not return, he has every intention of coming back the question we have to ask is when

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:00 AM

He will be back most likely if there's one thing good about him it's that he's not a quitter

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Steady on now - nobody with any credibility is saying he won't come back. He'll return.

Rafa is saying no AO now!!! When do you envisage he will be back? Sounds like he never will be back! Everyday I come online to see any Rafa news about him returning and this news is too much for me!! I have tried to remain positive but I think I should not set myself for an upset. Rafa and his team must know that it is up or not. Who has ever missed so much time like this without an operation being involved? I am just so sad that Rafa is going to leave under the game like this. I have always followed tennis since I was a kid but Rafa has been my favourite player of them all! I will never admire a player as much as him I am sure. Why did all this have to happen? He was having a good year and he was getting his confidence back after last year and all the Djokovic beatings! Why this now?

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Have some belief. I'm not going to expect too much from Rafa when he returns. He had a great first half of 2012 (excluding round 2 of wimbledon) so its not been all bad for me as a fan. I'll still watch tennis whether he comes back with less intensity as before or doesn't come back at all (very unlikely). He does have the chance to gain so much post round 2 of wimbledon next year so we will see what happens come 2013.

And remember he didn't say he will not return, he has every intention of coming back the question we have to ask is when

I know what you are saying but other Rafa fans like myself must be asking themself this question too. Rafa, are you coming back? Your fans arr beside themselves with worry! We just want him to come back. That is why I think I won't bother coming online anymore. Never any good news about his situation.

Mustard
09-25-2012, 10:09 AM

‘I can’t pretend not to play on hard courts when two of the Slams are on hard courts, but there is a mistake with our game. You don’t watch footballers playing on a hard surface, or basketball players, those sports with rapid movements.
‘It’s not going to change for me and my generation. Hard courts are very negative for the body. I know the sport is a business and creating these courts is easier than clay or grass, but I am 100 per cent sure it is wrong. I may have to play more on clay than before but there aren’t that many options.’

Hardcourts dominate the tour today from late July to early April the following year. In the past, the number of hardcourt tournaments was lower, and that was especially true before the late 1970s.

Muster played even more on clay after his return from his 1989 injury, because it was easier on his knee.

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 10:09 AM
He will be back most likely if there's one thing good about him it's that he's not a quitter

Am not so sure these days about Rafa. I never called him a quitter myself but now I have to wonder. I also wonder does he really want to return to the court? As he seems quite happy away from tennis with the golf and poker. He doesn't want to heal to return, does he? All these thoughts are on my mind now.

NDFM
09-25-2012, 10:11 AM
I know what you are saying but other Rafa fans like myself must be asking themself this question too. Rafa, are you coming back? Your fans arr beside themselves with worry! We just want him to come back. That is why I think I won't bother coming online anymore. Never any good news about his situation.

It is hard. Just when it seems that progress is being made there are more setbacks, more uncertainty. Just remain positive (if possible) and try not to expect much, its best that he follows the advice of the doctors if he wants to come back 100% healthy

cc0509
09-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Am not so sure these days about Rafa. I never called him a quitter myself but now I have to wonder. I also wonder does he really want to return to the court? As he seems quite happy away from tennis with the golf and poker. He doesn't want to heal to return, does he? All these thoughts are on my mind now.

Would you give it up already! It is so obvious you are a Nadal hater posing as a Nadal lover.

Mustard
09-25-2012, 10:14 AM

Jimmy Connors ended up having a hip replacement. I rest my case.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Maybe he's just lost interest and he wants to take a break and do something else plus isn't golf the only thing he's allowed to play??

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:16 AM

After playing for twice as much time and what's your take on fed??

Mustard
09-25-2012, 10:19 AM
After playing for twice as much time and what's your take on fed??

I don't know Federer's exact situation, but hasn't his back been playing up for years?

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I don't know Federer's exact situation, but hasn't his back been playing up for years?

That's true^^but I heard that he's back usually gets stiff while playing on grass

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Would you give it up already! It is so obvious you are a Nadal hater posing as a Nadal lover.

I love Rafa! You can think what you like!! You people are too obsessed about haters that you mistake people for them!! :-? You probably like Federer. I love Rafa because he came and gave Federer some competition! It was so boring until Rafa came!. If I didn't like Rafa I would be saying Yeah! no more Rafa! :confused:

Mustard
09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Hardcourts have become more and more predominant since the mid-1970s. Before the mid-1970s, there were hardcourt tournaments, but they were far fewer in number. It's gotten to the situation in the last 5 years or so, where hardcourts dominate for 8 months of the year. It's no coincidence that the days of players playing into their 40s like Connors, Rosewall, Gonzales etc. are long gone. Even Connors at 39 was seen as very old, while Rosewall at 39 in 1974 wasn't treated anywhere near as old as Connors was in 1991.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Hardcourts have become more and more predominant since the mid-1970s. Before the mid-1970s, there were hardcourt tournaments, but they were far fewer in number. It's gotten to the situation in the last 5 years or so, where hardcourts dominate for 8 months of the year. It's no coincidence that the days of players playing into their 40s like Connors, Rosewall, Gonzales etc. are long gone. Even Connors at 39 was seen as very old, while Rosewall at 39 in 1974 wasn't treated anywhere near as old as Connors was in 1991.

Wouldn't that be because its became a lot more physical over time???

Mustard
09-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Wouldn't that be because its became a lot more physical over time???

I don't think that's as much of a factor as the number of matches played on hardcourts. Grass is now only relevant for 1 month, while clay isn't anywhere near as predominant as it once was, and carpet has disappeared altogether from the tour.

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Maybe he's just lost interest and he wants to take a break and do something else plus isn't golf the only thing he's allowed to play??

He really has lost interest :( that makes me really sad! You are lucky that you are a Roger fan! Roger loves playing and he never loses interest or his focus. And he plays an effortless style that doesn't kill him mentally and physically. I wish I was a huge Roger fan, sometimes. His career is just one level plateau and he is always on the tour without all these injuries and demons that Rafa has. So much less complication. Whereas us Rafa fans are put through the ringer so often that it is wearing! Roger has always known what he wanted in life and he is his own man. Rafa has been owned by Uncle Toni and forced to play tennis when he would have probably preferred to play golf or football, professsionaly.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I don't think that's as much of a factor as the number of matches played on hardcourts.

Mmhm but how do you think hard courts exactly affect a player? As in in terms of what?

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:29 AM
He really has lost interest :( that makes me really sad! You are lucky that you are a Roger fan! Roger loves playing and he never loses interest or his focus. And he plays an effortless style that doesn't kill him mentally and physically. I wish I was a huge Roger fan, sometimes. His career is just one level plateau and he is always on the tour without all these injuries and demons that Rafa has. So much less complication. Whereas us Rafa fans are put through the ringer so often that it is wearing! Roger has always known what he wanted in life and he is his own man. Rafa has been owned by Uncle Toni and forced to play tennis when he would have probably preferred to play golf or football, professsionaly.

If I heard correctly golf is the only thing he's allowed to play so not really his fault it'll take some time for him to heal! Yes!! Rafa has been owned by Toni honestly Toni needs to back off!!!

Mustard
09-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Mmhm but how do you think hard courts exactly affect a player? As in in terms of what?

It causes injuries a lot more easily as it's by far the harshest surface on a player's joints.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
It causes injuries a lot more easily as it's by far the harshest surface on a player's joints.

I mean obviously club level play is nothing compared to the pro level but I've been playing for about 8 years now and I haven't had any major injuries!! And how come fed djokovic and Murray don't have as much of a problem??

Hood_Man
09-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Hard courts don't provide any cushioning, whereas grass and clay do :)

Nadal's problems are exacerbated by his heel problem and the special shoes he has to wear for it (putting extra pressure on his knees in the process), although Djokovic was having a few tendonitis issues last Summer as well. Just not nearly as bad as Nadal.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Hard courts don't provide any cushioning, whereas grass and clay do :)

Nadal's problems are exacerbated by his heel problem and the special shoes he has to wear for it (putting extra pressure on his knees in the process), although Djokovic was having a few tendonitis issues last Summer as well. Just not nearly as bad as Nadal.

Thanks Greg! :)

merlinpinpin
09-25-2012, 10:49 AM

I guess you kind of forgot saving tons of matchpoints along the way... ;)

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:52 AM
I guess you kind of forgot saving tons of matchpoints along the way... ;)

Yesss this too :D

cc0509
09-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I love Rafa! You can think what you like!! You people are too obsessed about haters that you mistake people for them!! :-? You probably like Federer. I love Rafa because he came and gave Federer some competition! It was so boring until Rafa came!. If I didn't like Rafa I would be saying Yeah! no more Rafa! :confused:

Yeah sure! :rolleyes:

You could not be any more obvious.

Tony48
09-25-2012, 01:03 PM

Kinda like how much Djokovic was despised by you and your fellow *******s :lol:

Good point. lol

But seriously....it will be a little more than ridiculous if Nadal skips the Australian Open. A shorter schedule makes a lot more sense than skipping slams left and right.....assuming he's actually injured (which, for the record, I don't believe; I subscribe to the "he's just mentally burned out" theory)

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah sure! :rolleyes:

You could not be any more obvious.

Oh! I give up with you! Just don't read my posts and stop writing about me and ignore me!! Thank you!!

jokinla
09-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Hopefully *** has this thread on ignore, I worry what might happen.

JMR
09-25-2012, 02:10 PM

Kuerten had to quit as a relatively young man due to a bad hip, and he was a clay specialist.

JMR
09-25-2012, 02:11 PM
The reason Nadal is hated so much here is because this place is full to the brim with raging,rabid *******s,and I need not explain to you why they would despise him because the record(literally)speaks for itself.

I had to laugh at this one. What name does the record use when it posts here?

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 02:15 PM
I had to laugh at this one. What name does the record use when it posts here?

Drakulie,Magnus,Monfed,TMF,Ray Mercer,TheMagicianofPrecision,and the countless other butthurt *******s who pollute this forum. Should you be added to this list as well?

JMR
09-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah, so what are you asking? You just answered your own question by saying Nadal's style is not easy on the body. Sliding or not, his style is based on defending. You mention Fed, Sampras, Connors, Agassi, and McEnroe, but their style was not to defend the way Nadal does today.

Styles often need to be adjusted to meet the demands of different surfaces. A player who refuses to compromise, and who tries to play virtually the exact same way on every surface, is asking for trouble. The trouble may be competitive (a hard court lover who refuses to learn how to slide on clay will have poor results), or it may be physical, as in Nadal's case. I'm not suggesting that he could have eliminated hard courts' harshness by playing a lighter-footed, shorter-point-oriented style, but he would have mitigated it somewhat. Instead, he insisted on force-feeding himself the worst of what hard courts have to offer by grinding so much.

JMR
09-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Drakulie,Magnus,Monfed,TMF,Ray Mercer,TheMagicianofPrecision,and the countless other butthurt *******s who pollute this forum.

Are they literally "butthurt"? Perhaps they should stand up and walk around a bit before posting again.

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Are they literally "butthurt"? Perhaps they should stand up and walk around a bit before posting again.

Maybe they should. It would at least take them away from their computers so they can't post their runny bs all over the place for a brief,but wonderful few moments.

Sim
09-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Styles often need to be adjusted to meet the demands of different surfaces. A player who refuses to compromise, and who tries to play virtually the exact same way on every surface, is asking for trouble. The trouble may be competitive (a hard court lover who refuses to learn how to slide on clay will have poor results), or it may be physical, as in Nadal's case. I'm not suggesting that he could have eliminated hard courts' harshness by playing a lighter-footed, shorter-point-oriented style, but he would have mitigated it somewhat. Instead, he insisted on force-feeding himself the worst of what hard courts have to offer by grinding so much.

I don't disagree. However, that brutal style got Nadal to 11 slams so far, so he's not going to change it ever in his pro career. It's also a style that got me interested in watching Nadal (especially his sleeveless years :))

Mustard
09-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Kuerten had to quit as a relatively young man due to a bad hip, and he was a clay specialist.

Kuerten first had bad problems with his hip at the 2001 US Open, during his epic 6-7, 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 6-2 night-match win over Max Mirnyi. The 2001 US Open was Kuerten's fifth hardcourt tournament in a row that summer. Kuerten lost in the quarter finals to Kafelnikov, after the state of his hip had worsened, and then proceeded to lose 10 of his next 11 matches after that, before he decided to get the hip surgery.

ruerooo
09-25-2012, 07:20 PM
I mean obviously club level play is nothing compared to the pro level but I've been playing for about 8 years now and I haven't had any major injuries!! And how come fed djokovic and Murray don't have as much of a problem??

In part, because everyone's body is built differently.

And anyone who says Nole or MAndy - or Roger for that matter (back problems? foot problem? lung infection?) - has never had a tennis-related health problem has an awfully short memory. MAndy was holding his thigh as recently as his last USO final where he won the tournament.

The tour is very stressful on all players' bodies; everyone just shows their wear and tear in a different place depending not just on their game, but on their body type.

I'm a dancer, with great ankles, strong back, strong feet, strong core, and bad knees, just like Rafa. One of my BFFs has a perfect physique except for her terrible ankles.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:24 PM
In part, because everyone's body is built differently.

And anyone who says Nole or MAndy - or Roger for that matter (back problems? foot problem? lung infection?) - has never had a tennis-related health problem has an awfully short memory. MAndy was holding his thigh as recently as his last USO final where he won the tournament.

The tour is very stressful on all players' bodies; everyone just shows their wear and tear in a different place depending not just on their game, but on their body type.

I'm a dancer, with great ankles, strong back, strong feet, strong core, and bad knees, just like Rafa. One of my BFFs has a perfect physique except for her terrible ankles.

I agree with you overall what I meant was none of the other guys have had any drastic injuries that has made them skip this much!

Mike Sams
09-25-2012, 07:32 PM
If I heard correctly golf is the only thing he's allowed to play so not really his fault it'll take some time for him to heal! Yes!! Rafa has been owned by Toni honestly Toni needs to back off!!!

Outside of tennis, Nadal probably doesn't even deal with Toni I bet. Maybe Nadal is finally finding happiness and freedom for the first time in his life away from tennis and much of it might be attributed to being free from the clutches of drill sergeant Uncle Toni.
Maybe that's why Nadal is enjoying playing golf so much. No Uncle Toni around to harass and bully him.
I never understood what kind of relationship they had until a story came out about how Nadal was playing videogames with a friend until Uncle Toni charged in and pulled out the plug.
If that was the case, I can understand if Nadal doesn't ever want to deal with the sport of tennis again if that means finally getting Toni out of his life. It was clearly evident in his book that Nadal hates him. You could sense it.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Outside of tennis, Nadal probably doesn't even deal with Toni I bet. Maybe Nadal is finally finding happiness and freedom for the first time in his life away from tennis and much of it might be attributed to being free from the clutches of drill sergeant Uncle Toni.
Maybe that's why Nadal is enjoying playing golf so much. No Uncle Toni around to harass and bully him.
I never understood what kind of relationship they had until a story came out about how Nadal was playing videogames with a friend until Uncle Toni charged in and pulled out the plug.
If that was the case, I can understand if Nadal doesn't ever want to deal with the sport of tennis again if that means finally getting Toni out of his life. It was clearly evident in his book that Nadal hates him. You could sense it.

Yeah your right!! he said he owes Toni a lot for the tennis but he rules over him too much!

ruerooo
09-25-2012, 07:40 PM
I agree with you overall what I meant was none of the other guys have had any drastic injuries that has made them skip this much!

People used to make fun of Novak all the time for his retirements as a result of breathing problems.

And what about Soderling? He's not back yet either, and he's been out way longer than Rafa.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 07:42 PM
People used to make fun of Novak all the time for his retirements as a result of breathing problems.

And what about Soderling? He's not back yet either, and he's been out way longer than Rafa.

LOL Soderling had or has mono that isnt a physical injury its a disease that affects a persons immune system fed had it in 08! And Novak's breathing problems again are not because of the courts! He just needed to improve his stamina which he did. Rafa on the other hand has skipped all 4 majors atleast once!

ruerooo
09-25-2012, 08:11 PM
What is a disease if it's not a physical injury?

I'm not going to argue with you about this, though.

:roll:

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
What is a disease if it's not a physical injury?

I'm not going to argue with you about this, though.

:roll:

what I mean to say is Rafa has troubles with his knees because of his movement around the court, his sliding and running around on a hardcourt puts pressure on his joints!! Soderling on the other hand couldnt control himself contracting mono thats not his fault while Nadal plays that sort of game which hurts him

smoledman
09-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Nadal has been seen really enjoying Mallorca with the fishing, poker and golfing. Tennis seems to be #4 these days.

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Nadal has been seen really enjoying Mallorca with the fishing, poker and golfing. Tennis seems to be #4 these days.

I think it's even lower than that.

Sentinel
09-25-2012, 09:23 PM
There was a Nadal smiling pic in my papers today, says he will be back "well before the next season begins". He then says could be two weeks, could be three or four".

http://i48.tinypic.com/24ovya8.jpg

http://epaper.indianexpress.com/58835/Indian-Express/26-September-2012#page/18/2

Or go to indianexpress.com click on epaper, go to page 18.

Metalica
09-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Oh! I give up with you! Just don't read my posts and stop writing about me and ignore me!! Thank you!!

You're not a troll Ms Nadal, it's nice to see a respectful Nadal fan like you around here for a change. Those trolls have been giving you Nadal fans a bad name. :)

vive le beau jeu !
09-26-2012, 12:14 AM
for a second i thought the nadal had a djoker card in his hands...

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/c38.0.403.403/p403x403/181382_172224152910293_915722426_n.jpg

Bjorn99
09-26-2012, 03:53 AM
Nadal is close to done. Hope he can walk after his career is over. He might not be able to.

Roddick85
09-26-2012, 04:08 AM
I'm not the biggest Nadal fan in the world, but I have a lot of respect for what he accomplished so far. Having him around is definitely a plus for the tour as he creates interesting and entertaining matches with Federer/Djokovic/Murray. I definitely missed his presence this summer.

With the way things are going, i'm starting to think he might not be back after all. This is a very long hiatus and no return dates are set. Even if he comes back like some of you said, in the clay season, he will have been away for almost 1 year from active competition, for sure he won't be immediately back at the same level he was earlier this year. Will he really have the motivation to train and get back to his usual level of play? I'm not convinced. If he doesn't confirm he's back for at least the Australian Open, I think he will retire.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 04:50 AM
Nadal can't retire or he'll lose a lot of sponsorship money. He's going to keep this going for as long as possible and try to ham up his injury. He's more so trying to decide if tennis is still something he wants to pursue. He's not 20 years old after all.

Boricua
09-26-2012, 05:16 AM
The main concern should be not when he will be back but how will his knees hold when he starts playing competitively. Playing while using antiinflamatories and getting injections is not the way to go.

He should play the South American clay season and limit the hard court season so he can treat his knees between tournaments. If his ranking drops, who cares. The important thing is that he can extend his career.

Boricua
09-26-2012, 05:20 AM

He could also fire Uncle Toni and get another coach.:)

Mainad
09-26-2012, 05:27 AM

Fire Uncle Toni?? :shock:

I think the Earth stopping on its axis is probably more likely to happen than that! :wink:

CMM
09-26-2012, 05:46 AM
If that was the case, I can understand if Nadal doesn't ever want to deal with the sport of tennis again if that means finally getting Toni out of his life.

Rafa invested millions of dollars in a tennis academy in his home town that should be ready in 4-5 years. The construction should have started earlier but only this year he recieved approval from the local authorities.
So he will probably still be connected to tennis even after he retires.

rommil
09-26-2012, 06:14 AM

Not going to happen. Their collaboration works best because of their relation.

Nostradamus
09-26-2012, 06:19 AM

maybe he had a knee surgery and he is keeping it a secret.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Nadal is having a silent knee ban

Hood_Man
09-26-2012, 09:30 AM
There was a Nadal smiling pic in my papers today, says he will be back "well before the next season begins". He then says could be two weeks, could be three or four".

http://epaper.indianexpress.com/58835/Indian-Express/26-September-2012#page/18/2

Or go to indianexpress.com click on epaper, go to page 18.

Nadal's going grey?

jones101
09-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Is that a photoshop? He looks about 40.

Also, I've been wondering on this silent ban thing. He was running fine at Wimbledon, and now, after months of rest, he can barely train?

SomethingFishyIsGoingOn.com

Clarky21
09-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Nadal's going grey?

I think it's just the terrible lighting in that terrible picture. The whole picture sucks.

Hood_Man
09-26-2012, 09:36 AM
I think it's just the terrible lighting in that terrible picture. The whole picture sucks.

Sorry, humour fail on my part :) It looks like it's been brightened or something, Nadal's facial features look a bit flat and the dark areas behind him look blocky.

I agree, it's a horrible looking photo :neutral:

veroniquem
09-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Or go to indianexpress.com click on epaper, go to page 18. I like how every newspaper says something slightly different about Rafa's situation/plans :-? I'm done with trying to predict anything. I'm just waiting. Mustard: great posts about the problems caused by hard courts. And Rueroo: great posts about the players' wear and tear in general. They all feel it for sure, even Fed.

veroniquem
09-26-2012, 10:24 AM
He could also fire Uncle Toni and get another coach.:) Lol but he never will because he would have to PAY for the new coach which he doesn't have to do right now. Also Rafa is the ultimate family person.

Mick
09-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Murray's fortune suddenly is looking very good with Nadal out and Federer aging. A year ago, the big three would take him out at the GS tournaments but the big three are now the big 2 or maybe only Djokovic.

veroniquem
09-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Yeah well I'm a bit suspicious of Murray's capacity for consistency. Once again, I think Rafa's problems will benefit mostly Fed for the next 2 years. I hope I'm wrong.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Nadal also robbed Murray of a clear straight sets victory at the AO in 2010. He quit halfway into the third because he couldn't stand being humiliated in straight sets, especially considering he was the defending champion.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah well I'm a bit suspicious of Murray's capacity for consistency. Once again, I think Rafa's problems will benefit mostly Fed for the next 2 years. I hope I'm wrong.

How do you figure? Federer can't even beat Berdych in the QF, let alone going through Murray and Djokovic back to back.
Federer's problems go beyond Nadal. Even if Nadal is not around, any of Djoker, Del Potro or Berdych are going to be a nightmare for Federer. Remember Del Potro was up 2 sets on Federer at the French and pushed him to his limits in their Olympics grass match. It won't get easier for Federer even if Nadal is not around. Even Nadal basically has no answers for the top guys off clay.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Nadal also robbed Murray of a clear straight sets victory at the AO in 2010. He quit halfway into the third because he couldn't stand being humiliated in straight sets, especially considering he was the defending champion.

Yeah he quit at 1-1 but next year he played through a hamstring injury vs David ferrer and lost in straights

veroniquem
09-26-2012, 10:37 AM
How do you figure? Federer can't even beat Berdych in the QF, let alone going through Murray and Djokovic back to back.
. He won't have to, that's my point. Djoko can't make every final forever and Fed can beat Djoko at times (Cincy/W anyone?) and I have serious doubts about Murray's consistency at the top. I'm not saying Fed is gonna dominate ala 2006 but he will win a few big ones if Nadal is not in the mix.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 10:59 AM
He won't have to, that's my point. Djoko can't make every final forever and Fed can beat Djoko at times (Cincy/W anyone?) and I have serious doubts about Murray's consistency at the top. I'm not saying Fed is gonna dominate ala 2006 but he will win a few big ones if Nadal is not in the mix.

Nadal won't matter. Federer will be lucky to win any Slams if he's got Berdych, Del Potro and Djokovic on his side of the draw. And dare I say it, Murray is overdue for a victory over Federer at a Slam. The Olympic Gold Medal match may have just been a taste of things to come.

veroniquem
09-26-2012, 11:15 AM
I think Murray will have a victory vs Fed in a slam. Personally, I hope it happens at Wimbledon but I'm sure he can do it at AO or USO too. Berd and Tsonga beat Fed in a slam (twice now for Berd) and Murray is not worse than those guys. Obviously, Nadal makes a HUGE difference on clay. It would only be fair if Djoko benefited from any Rafa's absence on clay though, he's been pretty much the second best clay court player after Rafa since 2009. Nadal also makes a big difference on grass.

Mick
09-26-2012, 11:20 AM
this is kinda like in the old days, you got Lendl who would always lose to Connors, Borg, and McEnroe. Then Connors got old, Borg retired, and Lendl only had McEnroe to deal with (from the original big 3) :)

tennis_pro
09-26-2012, 12:17 PM
I think Murray will have a victory vs Fed in a slam. Personally, I hope it happens at Wimbledon but I'm sure he can do it at AO or USO too. Berd and Tsonga beat Fed in a slam (twice now for Berd) and Murray is not worse than those guys. Obviously, Nadal makes a HUGE difference on clay. It would only be fair if Djoko benefited from any Rafa's absence on clay though, he's been pretty much the second best clay court player after Rafa since 2009. Nadal also makes a big difference on grass.

Debatable. Federer had better results than Djokovic on clay in both 2009/2010 and beat him at the FO in 2011 (obviously Djokovic had way better results in 2011 but 2009-2010 IMO are Federer's).

smoledman
09-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Suddenly it looks like 2013-2014 will be the "Murray Era". Heaven help us.

AM95
09-26-2012, 12:28 PM
seems like this is an silent ban

^yes i know i will be flamed for saying this.

tennis_pro
09-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Suddenly it looks like 2013-2014 will be the "Murray Era". Heaven help us.

Come on, Murray isn't a teenager anymore. Looking how he relies on speed, I wonder how he'll play in his late 20's/early 30's

90's Clay
09-26-2012, 07:05 PM
All the predictions about Nadal to be seriously hit by injuries during 2006 itself is coming to be true.

Well I dont think you had to be nostradamus to figure out Nadal was going to have the injury bug considering how hard he has to play to win

sureshs
09-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Well I dont think you had to be nostradamus to figure out Nadal was going to have the injury bug considering how hard he has to play to win

Actually how much he had to play. 11 Slam wins and the Olympics gold and DC. He has actually dismissed his opponents in straight sets many times.

edmondsm
09-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Honestly, I'm amazed he made it this far and did as much as he did. When I saw him playing when he was 18, and saw how he had chronic injuries even at that age, I would've never thought he could have carved out the career he has and played this long.

He was having major knee problems like 5 years ago.

I've gotten used to him proving me wrong so I won't be surprised if or when he comes back and wins more majors.

Sentinel
09-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Nadal is having a silent knee ban

How can it be a silent ban if there's so much noise about it ? So many threads and about 7310 posts with that phrase in it.

Meanwhile, Federer's silent ban will expire just in time for Shanghai.

Nathaniel_Near
09-27-2012, 12:12 AM
How can it be a silent ban if there's so much noise about it ? So many threads and about 7310 posts with that phrase in it.

Exquisite scheduling.

RF20Lennon
09-27-2012, 06:55 AM

The noise is on the this forum lol rafa is fine with it :)

Mike Sams
09-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Honestly, I'm amazed he made it this far and did as much as he did. When I saw him playing when he was 18, and saw how he had chronic injuries even at that age, I would've never thought he could have carved out the career he has and played this long.

He was having major knee problems like 5 years ago.

I've gotten used to him proving me wrong so I won't be surprised if or when he comes back and wins more majors.

Actually if Nadal had decided to omit all events except clay, he would have double digit clay Masters and 8 French Opens. He basically doesn't need to play on any other surface. He's only playing on all surfaces so he can catch Federer. That's likely what has caused Nadal to get so many injuries.

RF20Lennon
09-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Actually if Nadal had decided to omit all events except clay, he would have double digit clay Masters and 8 French Opens. He basically doesn't need to play on any other surface. He's only playing on all surfaces so he can catch Federer. That's likely what has caused Nadal to get so many injuries.

Lol hasn't won off clay in 2 years

Mike Sams
09-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Lol hasn't won off clay in 2 years

Exactly. Imagine if he had played on clay his entire 10 years? He'd have like 70 titles right now. He'd definitely have every French Open from 2005 onward barring the potential upset or injury. He'd obviously have most of the clay Masters titles too.

Mike Sams
09-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Oh yeah, Nadal also lost on blue clay in Madrid. Then again Nadal loses a lot in Madrid so it's not a big surprise.

RF20Lennon
09-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Oh yeah, Nadal also lost on blue clay in Madrid. Then again Nadal loses a lot in Madrid so it's not a big surprise.

Madrid isn't "true" clay, no?? ;)

Mike Sams
09-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Madrid isn't "true" clay, no?? ;)

Blue clay is true clay! :lol:

cknobman
09-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Look I thought Nadal had already settled what "real clay" is.

If its meets any of the following criteria then its not real clay:

any color besides red not played at low altitude not slow in germany in america low bouncing He loses a match (then later on reveals he lost due to a unnoticeable injury sustained playing on that so called "clay")

Nadal has now moved onto defining what is "real tennis". His current definition is a work in progress but so far includeds:

Indoor Tennis (of any type at any time of the year)
Madrid 2012 (this also falls under the not real clay definition)
2012 Wimbledon 2nd round loss to Rosol