PDA

View Full Version : Nadal: I haven't touched a racquet since Wimbledon.

Paul Murphy
09-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Rafael Nadal said in an interview published on Tuesday that he has not picked up a racquet since limping out of Wimbledon nearly three months ago and will only return to competition once he is fully fit.
``I'm not in any state to go on court at the moment. I haven't touched a racket but I am working hard every day,'' he was quoted as saying in an interview with four European newspapers, including French sports daily L'Equipe.
Nadal has been on the sidelines since his shock second-round exit at Wimbledon to unheralded Czech player Lukas Rosol in late June and has been receiving treatment for a torn tendon in his left knee.
The 26-year-old, whose injury has seen him miss the London Olympics, the Masters series events at Toronto and Cincinnati as well as the US Open, said he has been swimming every day to keep in shape and is also working out in the gym.
On September 5, Spanish tennis federation doctor Angel Ruiz-Cotorro ruled out surgery, raising hopes that he could make a return for Spain's Davis Cup final against the Czech Republic in November.
But Nadal appeared to pour cold water on a swift return when asked about when he would be next seen on court, telling reporters: ``I don't know.
``The situation is very clear in my mind. I first need to look after myself completely and be back to full fitness before deciding when and where to play again. I'll only come back when I'm 100 per cent.
``I don't want to go back on court again with permanent doubts on my fitness.''
Nadal, the former world No.1, has had repeated injury lay-offs in recent years because of knee trouble, which take much of the strain from his highly physical style of play.
The player said he was approaching his recovery calmly but admitted there had been ``difficult moments'', in particular missing the Olympics and the honour of carrying Spain's flag at the opening ceremony.
``I was very, very down for a couple of weeks. To miss a grand slam is hard but it doesn't come about every four years. I hope with all my heart to be at the Rio Games (in 2016). That's one of my goals,'' he added.

Paul Murphy
09-25-2012, 02:15 AM
Doesn't look overly promising for Rafa.
I doubt we'll see him back before 2013.

Prisoner of Birth
09-25-2012, 02:17 AM
I don't even understand what's happening. A torn tendon? Wasn't it "just" Hoffa's Syndrome a few weeks ago?

The Bawss
09-25-2012, 02:47 AM
Once again, Nadal's team keeping the press and everyone in the dark. I wonder what the motive for shrouding everything in mystery is: silent ban is seeming more and more likely.

CMM
09-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Once again, Nadal's team keeping the press and everyone in the dark.

By choosing to talk to them about his plans and everything? What a major clown you are.

rommil
09-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Wasn't he practicing in Spain after Wimbledon?:(

The Bawss
09-25-2012, 03:03 AM
By choosing to talk to them about his plans and everything? What a major clown you are.

His plans change every couple of weeks. We are still not sure what his precise condition it is, although we do know that it is sufficient to keep him out of tennis for about 6 months yet not serious enough for surgery. We don't know how this "debilitating" injury arose as he seemed fine during the Rosol match.

Yeah, I'd say we are pretty clued up. Clown.

CMM
09-25-2012, 03:04 AM
Wasn't he practicing in Spain after Wimbledon?:(

He tried to because he hoped he might be able to play at the US Open. And the quote from the title isn't the same one from the interview.

beast of mallorca
09-25-2012, 03:05 AM
Once again, Nadal's team keeping the press and everyone in the dark. I wonder what the motive for shrouding everything in mystery is: silent ban is seeming more and more likely.

The motive ?
To keep stirring TW, esp the Fedturds. It's high on Rafa's list. :)

CMM
09-25-2012, 03:09 AM
His plans change every couple of weeks. We are still not sure what his precise condition it is, although we do know that it is sufficient to keep him out of tennis for about 6 months yet not serious enough for surgery. We don't know how this "debilitating" injury arose as he seemed fine during the Rosol match.

Yeah, I'd say we are pretty clued up. Clown.

Maybe you should first read the interviews, no? And I'm not talking about quotes picked out by Reuters, but about the whole interview.

http://postimage.org/image/51g7qolwt/
http://postimage.org/image/y8xc0fhlv/
http://postimage.org/image/yzs4fswtl/
http://postimage.org/image/l31c4rsb9/

rommil
09-25-2012, 03:12 AM
He tried to because he hoped he might be able to play at the US Open. And the quote from the title isn't the same one from the interview.

But did he say he didn't touch a racket?

CMM
09-25-2012, 03:18 AM
But did he say he didn't touch a racket?

He's talking about the present. He says he swims 1 km daily, he works in the gym and follows the doctor's orders.

The Bawss
09-25-2012, 03:18 AM
Maybe you should first read the interviews, no? And I'm not talking about quotes picked out by Reuters, but about the whole interview.

http://postimage.org/image/51g7qolwt/
http://postimage.org/image/y8xc0fhlv/
http://postimage.org/image/yzs4fswtl/
http://postimage.org/image/l31c4rsb9/

So? It's full of BS: "I'm not even sure I'm the best player on the spanish DC team" LOL Rafa we can see through your fake modesty, "the Rosol match wasn't" a match" nah mate you're right but that can be said for any match you lose. Sour grapes galore. Trains for potential DC tie, "haven't touched a racket since Wimbledon"...yeah sure.

Anyway Hoffa's syndrome is a joke and can be corrected with surgery. Why he choses not to have surgery is a question mark....unless wait a second....he doesn't even have that? Nah nah, that's too crazy.

CMM
09-25-2012, 03:20 AM
So? It's full of BS:

Your post? Yes. :)

reversef
09-25-2012, 03:26 AM
It really smells bad now. I can't see him coming back close to his best level very soon. Too much time out of competition... and without even picking a racquet. :???:

rommil
09-25-2012, 03:30 AM
It really smells bad now. I can't see him coming back close to his best level very soon. Too much time out of competition... and without even picking a racquet. :???:

Heart of a warrior:(

cc0509
09-25-2012, 03:31 AM

No, in this case that poster is not a clown. We have been hearing BS contradictory stories from the Nadal camp since this apparent injury started--i.e. after the loss to Rosol at Wimbledon. His camp has said he will try to play Cincy, he will try to play USO, etc. etc. They know exactly when Nadal will play and all of this media stuff is just to silence many of his naive fans who wait on Nadal's every word.

Is there any wonder why anybody would be suspicious of a suspension or ban in this case? I mean, come on!

beast of mallorca
09-25-2012, 03:31 AM
So? It's full of BS: "I'm not even sure I'm the best player on the spanish DC team" LOL Rafa we can see through your fake modesty, "the Rosol match wasn't" a match" nah mate you're right but that can be said for any match you lose. Sour grapes galore. Trains for potential DC tie, "haven't touched a racket since Wimbledon"...yeah sure.

Anyway Hoffa's syndrome is a joke and can be corrected with surgery. Why he choses not to have surgery is a question mark....unless wait a second....he doesn't even have that? Nah nah, that's too crazy.

Rafa is stirring you that much eh ? Don't be mad Mr Doofus, chill. :twisted:

CMM
09-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Why now? He's not saying anything new. We already knew that he won't play anymore this year and until November there's still a lot of time. Toni said the goal is to practice for two months before coming back to competition.

cc0509
09-25-2012, 03:34 AM
He's talking about the present. He says he swims 1 km daily, he works in the gym and follows the doctor's orders.

And how many times does he go to the washroom daily? I am sure you know that as well right? After all, Nadal said so in an article so it must be true. :roll:

CMM
09-25-2012, 03:39 AM
And how many times does he go to the washroom daily? I am sure you know that as well right? After all, Nadal said so in an article so it must be true. :roll:

Well, he didn't mention that but if he did I see no reason why he'd lie. :)
He also said he's got check ups almost every week, and I know it's true because another tennis player from Romania goes to the same doctor and they've met there.

NLBwell
09-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Headlines are usually written by someone other than the writer of the article and are often misleading.

Bobby Jr
09-25-2012, 03:50 AM
Rafael Nadal said in an interview published on Tuesday that he has not picked up a racquet since limping out of Wimbledon nearly three months ago..
He didn't limp out of Wimbledon. The way the item is written implies he lost by way of injury when in fact he just had his arse handed to him by Rossol.

I hate revisionist journalists who package stories to make moments like that look so pinnacle in the scheme of things. The fact is he showed up to that match declaring himself fit to play even if he had an ongoing injury issue and then lost. He didn't lose because of it.

Had Nadal won that match we're now led to believe by implication his injury was effectively serious enough that he wouldn't have continued which is cods-wallop. He stopped playing after that match because there was no tennis for another 2-3 weeks for him anyway... he just took the opportunity to take a longer sabbatical of sorts to get his gimpy knee right.

Paul Murphy
09-25-2012, 03:58 AM
He didn't limp out of Wimbledon. The way the item is written implies he lost by way of injury when in fact he just had his arse handed to him by Rossol.

I hate revisionist journalists who package stories to make moments like that look so pinnacle in the scheme of things. The fact is he showed up to that match declaring himself fit to play even if he had an ongoing injury issue and then lost. He didn't lose because of it.

Had Nadal won that match we're now led to believe by implication his injury was effectively serious enough that he wouldn't have continued which is cods-wallop. He stopped playing after that match because there was no tennis for another 2-3 weeks for him anyway... he just took the opportunity to take a longer sabbatical of sorts to get his gimpy knee right.

In defence of the journalist I suggest he may be using the word "limping" in a metaphorical and not a literal sense.

mistik
09-25-2012, 04:34 AM
I strongly believe ATP and ITF doesnt want this guy anymore for gambling connections,which is even a bigger problem for the sport then doping.

chrischris
09-25-2012, 04:38 AM
Gambling?

I think we are seeing the Borg syndrome.

Sabratha
09-25-2012, 04:43 AM
I strongly believe ATP and ITF doesnt want this guy anymore for gambling connections,which is even a bigger problem for the sport then doping.
Have they said that before?

mistik
09-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Gambling?

I think we are seeing the Borg syndrome.

Where was Borg syndrome in RG and through out the clay court season??? He wasnt looking like burn out guy,thats for sure.

chrischris
09-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Where was Borg syndrome in RG and through out the clay court season??? He wasnt looking like burn out guy,thats for sure.

Thats not my point at all. infact , like you say he was fantastic at Roland Garros and other red clay events.
Plus at Wimby which you know im sure.

What i am saying is that due to being prodigies and early bloomers signs of fatigue and injuries do become issues for these guys i.e Nadal + Borg.
Thats for sure and in the case of Borg, a wellknown fact.

rommil
09-25-2012, 05:55 AM
He might as well name his rackets Xisca and the statement would still apply:)

rommil
09-25-2012, 06:13 AM

www.thescore.ie/rafa-nadal-knee-injury-609048-Sep2012/

RAFA2005RG
09-25-2012, 06:17 AM
That was fun. Now if anyone wants to read the facts about Nadal and his plans for return, go to my thread-

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441096

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Well looks like the match against the storm this year in flushing really took a lot out of him

Mike Sams
09-25-2012, 11:44 AM

...and also to mentally get over that humiliating and heart-breaking loss to a #100 ranked player

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 11:49 AM
...and also to mentally get over that humiliating and heart-breaking loss to a #100 ranked player

Do you really think that Rafa is still not over the Rosol loss?

reversef
09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Why now? He's not saying anything new. We already knew that he won't play anymore this year and until November there's still a lot of time. Toni said the goal is to practice for two months before coming back to competition.
Yeah, but he also says he's not sure about next year (AO, I mean). What it shows is that he's still far from feeling able to train. At this stage, we could still hope that he felt better and was ready to at least pick up a racket.

reversef
09-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Do you really think that Rafa is still not over the Rosol loss?
Don't feed the trolls. Even they, with all their bad faith, don't believe their own words.

CMM
09-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah, but he also says he's not sure about next year (AO, I mean). What it shows is that he's still far from feeling able to train. At this stage, we could still hope that he felt better and was ready to at least pick up a racket.

His doctor gave a press conference on September 5 and said that in a month or so he'll do some tests and see if he's ready to start practicing. Rafa gave this interview on September 18. Did you expect these improvements to happen in two weeks?
He also said that in 2 months they expect him to heal completely. Even if he doesn't start practicing next month, there will still be 2 months left to prepare for the start of the season.

EndLy
09-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Nasal is a great great player. No doubt about that. And if he is truly injured physically then this sabbatical is valid. Given his history (loss to Soderling RG 09), he's damaged mentally rather than physically. I'm no expect in psychology or even medically but the dude needs to suck it up and move on. You're still an 11 slam winner, with the potential of a few more before your best years are up. He ran into hot players.

I watched the match and there was no indication that signalled that he was injured. He was beaten, and it wasn't even badly. 5 sets! It was a battle but he lost.

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Nasal is a great great player. No doubt about that. And if he is truly injured physically then this sabbatical is valid. Given his history (loss to Soderling RG 09), he's damaged mentally rather than physically. I'm no expect in psychology or even medically but the dude needs to suck it up and move on. You're still an 11 slam winner, with the potential of a few more before your best years are up. He ran into hot players.

I watched the match and there was no indication that signalled that he was injured. He was beaten, and it wasn't even badly. 5 sets! It was a battle but he lost.

Would you please get real? This garbage has been spouted on here ever since Nadal went out injured. He's suffered far worse losses in his career than this and has gotten over them. The Rosol loss is not the reason he is still out;his knees are.

sureshs
09-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Nadal haters are panicking because they know what will happen to their favorite heroes once he comes back

namelessone

Yeah, Nadal is basically taking half a year off to digest one bad loss.

He isn't really injured :facepalm:

I'm sure the six months off the tour and the couple more to get back into the groove(if he can get back that is), drop in ranking and so on will do wonders for his mental state going forward.

The quality of trolling is really going down in this place.

Ms Nadal
Don't feed the trolls. Even they, with all their bad faith, don't believe their own words.

AM NOT A TROLL! GOD SAKE! AM NEW TO TW! YOU'RE A TROLL

namelessone
09-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Would you please get real? This garbage has been spouted on here every since Nadal went out injured. He's suffered far worse losses in his career than this and has gotten over them. The Rosol loss is not the reason he is still out;his knees are.

Stop it. We are in the Fed warehouse(known as Nadal haters united).

We all KNOW that Rosol is the reason why Nadal is out for six months or more. And even if we entertain the possibility that Nadal may have had health issues at the time and moving forward, surely they can't be as big as the mental damage done by the Czech. We believe that one loss can send one of the mental giants of the game out of tennis for half a year. We believe that Nadal would willingly skip 2 MS(more if we count Shanghai/Bercy), one slam(possibly two if he misses AO), WTF, DC final, drop to nr.4 in ranking just to recover from one loss.

We are of course, f**king morons and trolls.

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Stop it. We are in the Fed warehouse(known as Nadal haters united).We all KNOW that Rosol is the reason why Nadal is out for six months or more. And even if we entertain the possibility that Nadal may have had health issues at the time and moving forward, surely they can't be as big as the mental damage done by the Czech. We believe that one loss can send one of the mental giants of the game out of tennis for half a year. We believe that Nadal would willingly skip 2 MS(more if we count Shanghai/Bercy), one slam(possibly two if he misses AO), WTF, DC final, drop to nr.4 in ranking just to recover from one loss.

We are of course, f**king morons and trolls.

This just might be my new sig. Lol.

And the rest of this post is spot on. Too bad the Nadal haters/trolls will never let it be,and will still insist that some nobody caused Nadal to miss multiple masters,withdraw from possibly 2 slams,and drop in the rankings. It's such crap that I honestly cannot believe some of these people have the gall to post this stuff.

The Bawss
09-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Look at you paranoid little kids thinking everyone here hates Nadal gratuitously. If people give Nadal a hard time it's because he deserves it with his gamesmanship (MTOs, Rosol bump), whining about the tour ("blue clay doesn't suit me so remove it from schedule or I boycott, no?" AND "the tour is too long guys, extend the clay season fantastic, no?") and constant injury excuses ("I was not one handred percent, Rosol wasn't playing real tennis indoors, I have Hoffa's syndrome, I take 6 months off of tour, my fans are blind fanboys anyway, they don't care").

Get over it.

filphil
09-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Nadal obviously doesn't love tennis. How do you not touch a tennis racket in three whole months?

NDFM
09-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Nadal obviously doesn't love tennis. How do you not touch a tennis racket in three whole months?

he has actually, he was training for the US open before he got the diagnosis of Hoffa's Syndrome.

namelessone
09-25-2012, 01:20 PM
This just might be my new sig. Lol.

And the rest of this post is spot on. Too bad the Nadal haters/trolls will never let it be,and will still insist that some nobody caused Nadal to miss multiple masters,withdraw from possibly 2 slams,and drop in the rankings. It's such crap that I honestly cannot believe some of these people have the gall to post this stuff.

It's one of the reasons why the general pro section has gone to the dogs. Constant trolling and hating(mostly on Nadal but not only). Jesus, I'm not exactly an optimist but so much negativity tends to bring even me down. We have one of the greatest eras of tennis but you wouldn't know by visiting these forums where there's a constant moan about the smallest things(nitpicking is putting it mildly).I didn't have much time to post even when Nadal was active(and winning) in the spring and now when I rarely visit this forum I see mostly trolling and hating, not discussions about tennis. And even those with actual tennis discussions tend to get bogged down with fedal trolling wars eventually.

F**k me, people had a go even at Murray once he had his first slam win and Murray is about as neutral as it gets.

NDFM
09-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Look at you paranoid little kids thinking everyone here hates Nadal gratuitously. If people give Nadal a hard time it's because he deserves it with his gamesmanship (MTOs, Rosol bump), whining about the tour ("blue clay doesn't suit me so remove it from schedule or I boycott, no?" AND "the tour is too long guys, extend the clay season fantastic, no?") and constant injury excuses ("I was not one handred percent, Rosol wasn't playing real tennis indoors, I have Hoffa's syndrome, I take 6 months off of tour, my fans are blind fanboys anyway, they don't care").

Get over it.

in other words you hate nadal, just admit it. He hasn't said 'the clay season needs to be extended' only that he will play on clay more

Tony48
09-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Maybe Nadal is planning to give Esther Vergeer a run for her money

rommil
09-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Maybe Nadal is planning to give Esther Vergeer a run for her money

Rafa complains more about his body than Esther:(

MichaelNadal
09-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Ugh, Rafa this is really getting crazy. My hopes are officially at -20 now.

kiki
09-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Has he improved his buttpicking mechanics in the meantime?

Mainad
09-25-2012, 02:37 PM
If he hasn't even picked up a racquet for the last 3 months, I can only surmise that it means his knee must be hurting him constantly otherwise how would he know what progress he is making until he attempts to run around a tennis court and hit a ball?

If he's feeling the knee injury even when he's not playing, it doesn't sound like he's going to be fit to play again anytime soon!

Clarky21
09-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Ugh, Rafa this is really getting crazy. My hopes are officially at -20 now.

I don't want to say I told you so,but I told you so. Lol.

Anyway,he's probably not coming back,and if he does he will flounder. The writing is on the wall.

Tony48
09-25-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't want to say I told you so,but I told you so. Lol.

Anyway,he's probably not coming back,and if he does he will flounder. The writing is on the wall.

Well I guess now you can go from saying "Nadal won't win" to "Nadal won't play"

dangalak
09-25-2012, 03:26 PM

But what are you saying? I thought doping was a myth made up by tinfoil hat wearing psychhopaths. :)

MichaelNadal
09-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Well I guess now you can go from saying "Nadal won't win" to "Nadal won't play"

It def. doesn't look like he will.

Zarfot Z
09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Nadal is going to get flattened after coming back and not playing for 3 months.

The Bawss
09-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Nadal is going to get flattened after coming back and not playing for 3 months.

Nadal gets flattened prior to this as well (cf wimbledon, queens).

Murrayfan31
09-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Bye bye Rafa. You won't be missed.

Sentinel
09-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Heart of a warrior:(

But "feet of clay" :(