PDA

View Full Version : This year's WTF Final is on a Monday afternoon

batz
09-25-2012, 03:54 AM
On Monday 12th November. WTF is that all about? I realise why they've had to do it - still bloody stupid IMO. Who is going to pay 100 to watch a match played on a Monday afternoon?

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-25-2012, 04:01 AM
Why is it on Monday?

The Bawss
09-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Current unemployment puts me in a privileged position to get a ticket for the final this year! Silver lining.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Well, if Nadal decides not to play, there will naturally be fewer people there, and people will come expecting to see Nadal. I predict that it will be just like US Open 2012.

Hood_Man
09-25-2012, 04:38 AM
...What?? If it was on a Sunday I could watch it!

Sabratha
09-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Well, if Nadal decides not to play, there will naturally be fewer people there, and people will come expecting to see Nadal. I predict that it will be just like US Open 2012.
Not everyone cares about Nadal.

batz
09-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Why is it on Monday?

Because the ATP shortened the tour and Paris and WTF are now back to back. It used to start on the Sunday and finish the following Sunday, now it needs to start on Monday so can't finish until the following Monday (it needs 8 days - 6 days of group matches, 1 day of semis, 1 day for final).

batz
09-25-2012, 04:52 AM
Current unemployment puts me in a privileged position to get a ticket for the final this year! Silver lining.

Every cloud indeed mate. It's 100 for lower bowl and 60 for upper bowl - I dare say you'll be able to pick them up easily enough.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-25-2012, 05:21 AM
Not everyone cares about Nadal.

Never said everyone did.

beckstennis
09-25-2012, 05:33 AM
I'm a HUGE Fed fan and I'm gutted it looks like Rafa will not be playing the WTF this year as I have tickets for group stages , semis and finals !

I wish he was playing as you want the best players there and it's a chance to see legends

vive le beau jeu !
09-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Because the ATP shortened the tour and Paris and WTF are now back to back. It used to start on the Sunday and finish the following Sunday, now it needs to start on Monday so can't finish until the following Monday (it needs 8 days - 6 days of group matches, 1 day of semis, 1 day for final).
this is really ridiculous to put the WTF right after paris-bercy, by the way... and it's certainly more exhausting for the players like this than before !

Paul Murphy
09-25-2012, 06:48 AM
I'm a HUGE Fed fan and I'm gutted it looks like Rafa will not be playing the WTF this year as I have tickets for group stages , semis and finals !

I wish he was playing as you want the best players there and it's a chance to see legends

Exactly.
Only "crazies" are that partisan that they don't want the very best playing, no matter who they support.

sdont
09-25-2012, 07:13 AM
this is really ridiculous to put the WTF right after paris-bercy, by the way... and it's certainly more exhausting for the players like this than before !

Bercy and the top players got screwed by the ATP on this one.

Players at the bottom of the top 10 could possibly not know if they qualify or not for the WTF 24h before the event starts...

batz
09-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Bercy and the top players got screwed by the ATP on this one.

Players at the bottom of the top 10 could possibly not know if they qualify or not for the WTF 24h before the event starts...

The draw is likely going to have to be made on the basis of the known qualifiers + player 6, player 7, player 8 etc.

I can see some of the top guys tanking Bercy or just pulling out due to a 'sore back' or knee.

Bowtiesarecool
09-25-2012, 07:16 AM
On Monday 12th November. WTF is that all about? I realise why they've had to do it - still bloody stupid IMO. Who is going to pay 100 to watch a match played on a Monday afternoon?

Should read: "Who is going to call out of work and pay 100 to watch a match played on a Teusday afternoon, after getting rained out on Monday?"

batz
09-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Should read: "Who is going to call out of work and pay 100 to watch a match played on a Teusday afternoon, after getting rained out on Monday?"

There are no rainclouds inside the O2 Arena mate.

sdont
09-25-2012, 07:24 AM
The draw is likely going to have to be made on the basis of the known qualifiers + player 6, player 7, player 8 etc.

I can see some of the top guys tanking Bercy or just pulling out due to a 'sore back' or knee.

Indeed. Especially if Nadal and Delpo are still injured.

vive le beau jeu !
09-25-2012, 07:24 AM
There are no rainclouds inside the O2 Arena mate.
you never know... it could happen ! ;)
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/artist-creates-indoor-clouds-slideshow/

Hood_Man
09-25-2012, 07:27 AM
you never know... it could happen ! ;)
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/artist-creates-indoor-clouds-slideshow/

It's like a renegade photographer trying to catch a genie, but never quite making it in time :D

merlinpinpin
09-25-2012, 09:05 AM

This is probably the dumbest decision they ever made (that and taking the week off after Bercy). They should have reverted to the "old" formula, from Tuesday to Sunday, with three RR matches per day from Tuesday to Friday. Of course, they would have sold less tickets this way... :roll:

NDFM
09-25-2012, 09:18 AM
I really wanted to go to this, it was in London where I live and I had signed up to the pre-sale where the prices were cheaper, this first day day session was 22

jaggy
09-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I will watch it with bells on (thats just an expression)

namelessone
09-25-2012, 10:22 AM

Ok, this is goddam ridiculous.

WTF is supposed to be THE end year tourney where the best of the best compete and they put it right after a MS tourney. And with a Monday final to boot :facepalm:

Just when you think organizers couldn't be dumber they go and do something like this.

Bercy gets shafted once again. I wouldn't be surprised if top players skip it alltogether.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Nadal skipping Bercy anyway will be followed by Murray cause WTF is a home country tourney for him and maybe fed with his rest issues so its gonna get ugly

batz
09-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Nadal skipping Bercy anyway will be followed by Murray cause WTF is a home country tourney for him and maybe fed with his rest issues so its gonna get ugly

Murray is also scheduled to play Basel (as is Roger, obviously). I don't see any way that either are going to turn up in Bercy.

Mainad
09-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Murray is also scheduled to play Basel (as is Roger, obviously). I don't see any way that either are going to turn up in Bercy.

Federer is defending champ at Bercy, so he stands to lose 1,000 ranking points if he skips it. Murray only has his usual qtr-final points to defend.

underground
09-25-2012, 11:13 AM

Indeed. I actually want to see Rafa on the courts.

Just to see him get bagelled by Federer again. Before you start the arguments, no Nadal just can't beat him indoors.

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Another Rafa-less tournament!!! :(. I have tickets for Mon-Thurs Evenings after work. know it is not Rafa's best place but it's still nice to watch him light up the arena with a VAMOS!

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Another Rafa-less tournament!!! :(. I have tickets for Mon-Thurs Evenings after work. know it is not Rafa's best place but it's still nice to watch him light up the arena with a VAMOS!

You can still go and watch the other guys its once in a lifetime opportunity!!

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 11:41 AM
You can still go and watch the other guys its once in a lifetime opportunity!!

I will still go but without my Spanish flag draped around me and cheering a particular player. It is amazing when Rafa does his point celebration in this arena :). My favourite is the leg up pose! :). The whole crowd feel it. That is what Rafa brings to the table. No other player can generate so much electricity. And people call ouy ''We love you Rafa!'' Ahhhhh! :)

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 11:44 AM
I will still go but without my Spanish flag draped around me and cheering a particular player. It is amazing when Rafa does his point celebration in this arena :). My favourite is the leg up pose! :). The whole crowd feel it. That is what Rafa brings to the table. No other player can generate so much electricity. And people call ouy ''We love you Rafa!'' Ahhhhh! :)

We should tie him to a generator, no? ;)

batz
09-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Federer is defending champ at Bercy, so he stands to lose 1,000 ranking points if he skips it. Murray only has his usual qtr-final points to defend.

I know mate - but can you really see Roger playing 3 weeks back to back?

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 11:52 AM
We should tie him to a generator, no? ;)

Too funny, no? :)

Mainad
09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
I know mate - but can you really see Roger playing 3 weeks back to back?

Maybe not. But I would have thought it would make more sense for him to skip Basel this year rather than Paris or the WTF.

RF20Lennon
09-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Maybe not. But I would have thought it would make more sense for him to skip Basel this year rather than Paris or the WTF.

Basel is a home tourney he would never skip that

batz
09-25-2012, 12:17 PM

RF20 has beaten me to it but there's no way Roger doesn't play Basel.

Ms Nadal
09-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Roger will have to skip something. He can't play 3 weeks straight.

W.P. Mayhew
09-25-2012, 12:47 PM

Looks like he's playing in Shanghai, which he skipped last year. Maybe he's planning to skip Paris or making up if he doesn't go as deep as last year.

Mainad
09-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Looks like he's playing in Shanghai, which he skipped last year. Maybe he's planning to skip Paris or making up if he doesn't go as deep as last year.

Then he will need to make sure he wins Shanghai to replace the points he will lose if he skips Paris.

Sentinel
09-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Then he will need to make sure he wins Shanghai to replace the points he will lose if he skips Paris.

Hope he doesn't get too hung up on points. He's done enough this season and needs to look after his health foremost. Esp after he talked about being wounded and fatigued, lol.

hedera
09-26-2012, 02:51 PM
I can see Roger skipping Bercy. What an anti-climax that would be in the race for YE1! :(

West Coast Ace
09-27-2012, 04:14 AM
Bercy and the top players got screwed by the ATP on this one.Players wanted a longer offseason. So the schedule has to be compressed. They're getting what they asked for.

That's what DVR's are for. Go to work, stay away from the internet. Go home and watch the match.

I feel worse for the people holding Paris Indoors tickets - as others have mentioned, it will almost certainly be a watered down event due to player pullouts, retirements, etc.

sdont
09-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Players wanted a longer offseason. So the schedule has to be compressed. They're getting what they asked for.

That's what DVR's are for. Go to work, stay away from the internet. Go home and watch the match.

I feel worse for the people holding Paris Indoors tickets - as others have mentioned, it will almost certainly be a watered down event due to player pullouts, retirements, etc.

Sure, the offseason is longer by 1 week, but I'm not sure that's precisely what the players had in mind.

As for ticket holders, indeed we got screwed. ;) But it's not like it will be the first time a top player skips Bercy or retires during a match or semi-tanks.

Mainad
10-02-2012, 09:01 AM
why always London

Various venues are awarded contracts to stage the WTF. Shanghai had it from 2005-8. The O2 in London currently has the contract to stage it for 5 years from 2009-13. After that the contract will presumably be put out to tender again.

Russeljones
10-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Bring on Kabul. Let's see who shows up there!

batz
10-02-2012, 09:25 AM
why always London

Where else are you guaranteed get a quarter of a million fans through the doors?

Russeljones
10-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Where else are you guaranteed get a quarter of a million fans through the doors?

A Chinese primary school lavatory. :twisted:

RF20Lennon
10-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Lot of places actually but it's cool though!! Wimbledon London Olympics London and WTF London again if fed had won GOLD he could've done the London sweep

Hood_Man
10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Lot of places actually but it's cool though!! Wimbledon London Olympics London and WTF London again if fed had won GOLD he could've done the London sweep

The Calendar Year London Slam :p

RF20Lennon
10-02-2012, 09:50 AM
The Calendar Year London Slam :p

Yeap!!! Would've been so awesome!! :)

batz
10-02-2012, 09:53 AM

I'm not so sure buddy - bear in mind there are only 4 matches per day (2 singles, 2 doubles), yet they still get at least 15000 per session, with many of them 17500 sell outs. The fact that here's a local in it helps London a lot though.

The place was half empty when it was played in Shanghai.

RF20Lennon
10-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm not so sure buddy - bear in mind there are only 4 matches per day (2 singles, 2 doubles), yet they still get at least 15000 per session, with many of them 17500 sell outs. The fact that here's a local in it helps London a lot though.

The place was half empty when it was played in Shanghai.

LOL in shanghai 2 people showed up. Lets see- Madrid, Rio, NY, Mumbai, Dubai and others...

sunof tennis
10-02-2012, 10:50 AM

London and the O2 arena are great. I can think of only maybe 2other suitable places. Madison Square Garden in New York and Paris.

RF20Lennon
10-02-2012, 11:20 AM
London and the O2 arena are great. I can think of only maybe 2other suitable places. Madison Square Garden in New York and Paris.

I agree!! The O2 arena is irreplaceable