PDA

View Full Version : Who's forehand?

kaku
09-25-2012, 06:21 PM
3 of the biggest forehands in todays game. Who's reigns supreme?

dangalak
09-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Berdych's is the most devastating. But Del Potro's is bigger when he goes for it.

effortless
09-25-2012, 06:36 PM
What about when Tsonga is on fire. E.g. against Federer in Wimbledon last year - it was ridiculous.

Also they're all pretty similar players who seem to hover just below the top four. But Tsonga's game revolves around his forehand unlike Delpo and Berdych who have good backhands as well. Doesn't that suggest Tsonga's forehand is better?

SStrikerR
09-25-2012, 07:04 PM
It suggests that his backhand is worse. However, I'm gonna go with tsonga. He may be inconsistent during the season at times, but I always trust his forehand to perform. However if delpo starts hitting like he used to, I'd come back to this.

dangalak
09-25-2012, 08:26 PM
What about when Tsonga is on fire. E.g. against Federer in Wimbledon last year - it was ridiculous.

Also they're all pretty similar players who seem to hover just below the top four. But Tsonga's game revolves around his forehand unlike Delpo and Berdych who have good backhands as well. Doesn't that suggest Tsonga's forehand is better?

Tsonga's game revolves around his serve. :)

paulorenzo
09-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Tsonga's game revolves around his serve. :)

tsonga's game revolves around his serve and one-handed backhand. haha

Sim
09-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Berdych. He seems to have effortless power with the forehand, and when he's on, he can hit winners from anywhere on the court. Del Potro's forehand isn't what it used to be unfortunately, but it's still a great shot.

Metalica
09-25-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm suprised Tsonga got so little and Berdych got so many votes.

OverratedIvanovic
09-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Berdych. His inside in forehand is very good. Federer hates it I think :roll:
Delpo's running forehand is also very good

TennisLovaLova
09-26-2012, 01:42 AM
2009's Delpo was superior imo
now with that wrist injury...

Berdych has a clean powerful FH

tennis_pro
09-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Berdych's is the most devastating. But Del Potro's is bigger when he goes for it.

This.

/thread

babolat king
09-26-2012, 06:30 AM
How about pre-'05 Roddick's forehand. That was the best one-two punch in tennis.

jrs
09-26-2012, 06:47 AM
I would say Gonzo

Mainad
09-26-2012, 07:01 AM
At its height (2009), Del Potro's forehand won him a Grand Slam title. That alone makes his forehand the most powerful...at least when it was at its best.

Currently, I think Berdych has the best placement and follow-up with his.

roundiesee
09-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Definitely Berdych for me. Such effortless power, he doesn't even seem to hit the ball hard at all, and yet the ball really takes off when it lands on the opponent's side of the court.

dangalak
09-26-2012, 12:38 PM
At its height (2009), Del Potro's forehand won him a Grand Slam title. That alone makes his forehand the most powerful...at least when it was at its best.

Currently, I think Berdych has the best placement and follow-up with his.

Such faulty logic. :lol:

And it wasn't his power that won him the title it was his consistency. Del Potro's consistency and rallying ability from the baseline is extraordinary.

forzamilan90
09-26-2012, 01:00 PM
I still pick Del Potro, his forehand looks the fastest to me

josjc
09-26-2012, 02:52 PM
murray has the biggest and backhand

josjc
09-26-2012, 02:52 PM
i meant biggest forehand and backhand

Aeropax
09-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Whose*

Sorry, I had to.

I would take Delpo's out of three you listed.

josjc
09-26-2012, 02:54 PM
out these three berdych is the most lethal

jaggy
09-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Tsongers is more spectacular but I trust del boys more

MichaelNadal
09-26-2012, 07:05 PM
My vote goes to Juan Martin.

Sid_Vicious
09-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Berdych....

paulorenzo
09-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Such faulty logic. :lol:

And it wasn't his power that won him the title it was his consistency. Del Potro's consistency and rallying ability from the baseline is extraordinary.

if by consistency and rallying ability you mean consistently hitting massive bombs during rallies, then yeah.

dangalak
09-27-2012, 02:32 AM
if by consistency and rallying ability you mean consistently hitting massive bombs during rallies, then yeah.

You are oblivious of tennis.

On a consistent basis, Del Potro hits about 70% as hard as Tomas does.

I mean, you might have just as well come out and said "I've only ever seen those 2 forehand winners of Del Potro against Federer in their final".

I mean seriously how many times how you even watched the guy? The guy is a powergrinder who occasionally cracks a forehand. His superiority to Berdych is that he misses less often.

paulorenzo
09-27-2012, 03:09 AM

I mean, you might have just as well come out and said "I've only ever seen those 2 forehand winners of Del Potro against Federer in their final".

I mean seriously how many times how you even watched the guy? The guy is a powergrinder who occasionally cracks a forehand. His superiority to Berdych is that he misses less often.

here's my statement again:

i agree with your premise that, yes, del potro was incredibly consistent in 2009, and consistency was a huge factor then, but the consistency was coupled with tremendous power off both wings especially in defensive positions, a concept you brushed off and that i was merely stating. if del potro didn't have his pressing power game to couple with his consistency, he'd be in just as big of trouble if he was without his consistency.

dangalak
09-27-2012, 04:05 AM
here's my statement again:

i agree with your premise that, yes, del potro was incredibly consistent in 2009, and consistency was a huge factor then, but the consistency was coupled with tremendous power off both wings especially in defensive positions, a concept you brushed off and that i was merely stating. if del potro didn't have his pressing power game to couple with his consistency, he'd be in just as big of trouble if he was without his consistency.

He wasn't hitting bombs consistently by my standards. Bombs would mean 90-100% shots. He hits 70-80% which is hard enough to elicit short balls from many.

paulorenzo
09-27-2012, 05:54 AM
He wasn't hitting bombs consistently by my standards. Bombs would mean 90-100% shots. He hits 70-80% which is hard enough to elicit short balls from many.

perhaps not bombs by his own standards, since he doesn't go for broke unless he's convincingly controlling a rally or convincingly behind in a rally. but as you said, his shots elicited short responses from from many, so they could arguably be bombs by the tour's standard.

dominikk1985
09-27-2012, 07:45 AM

consistently he hits a little softer than berdych but if he goes for it he hits harder. it seems that after the wrist injury he took a little off his FH (don't know if his wrist is not allowing more or if he is holding back to not get injured again).

Funny about berdych is that it doesn't look like he swings hard but the balls are super hard. probably because he hits so flat and has long arms.

Tsonga has a huge FH too and Feds FH is also still big.

dangalak
09-27-2012, 07:47 AM
consistently he hits a little softer than berdych but if he goes for it he hits harder. it seems that after the wrist injury he took a little off his FH (don't know if his wrist is not allowing more or if he is holding back to not get injured again).

Funny about berdych is that it doesn't look like he swings hard but the balls are super hard. probably because he hits so flat and has long arms.

Tsonga has a huge FH too and Feds FH is also still big.

Consistently he hits quite a bit softer than Berdych. Let's not pretend that his rally shots are near Berdych's kill shots. :)

paulorenzo
09-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Consistently he hits quite a bit softer than Berdych. Let's not pretend that his rally shots are near Berdych's kill shots. :)

berdych's rally shot is relatively flatter than del potro's rally shot, so that''s a given. berdych's shot naturally has greater risk/ reward. del potro's rally ball has more topspin. when del potro goes for it, i argue that he hits harder than when berdych goes for it. del potro is rarely confident enough nowadays to tee off/ flatten out on multiple shots in a rally. one instance where he does that comes to mind, however, was during the 3rd set in the semi of USO 09 against nadal. nadal was leaving balls in the air for del potro to tee off on. this is what del potro would look like if he hits flatly on every ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilB9uEcfZDA&feature=player_detailpage#t=155s
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilB9uEcfZDA&feature=player_detailpage#t=155s)
if you watch the video from the beginning, you can see how much more spin del potro was implementing on his shots in comparison to the 3rd set.

not taking anything away from berdych's awesome clean, powerful striking. if del potro could hit a flat ball as cleanly as berdych, i'm sure he'd hit flatter more often.

above bored
09-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Berdych has the bigger forehand. Del Potro's is probably a little more consistent.

I would probably chose to have Berdych's because it is pretty consistent too, but can cause more damage. It's also effortless.

Regarding Del Potro, I don't think he is executing his forehand any worse than he did in 2009 or in the US Open final. He's hitting with the same pace and consistency periodically today, just as he did in 2009. The fact that he won a Slam in 2009 is neither here nor there. Sometimes your game pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

Sabratha
09-27-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm going to say Berdych.