PDA

View Full Version : Better serve currently: Sharapova or Ivanovic

dangalak
09-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Hey, I can't only make threads about the dudes. :)

Vcore89
09-26-2012, 05:07 AM
Maria's serve used to be better pre shoulder injury. Today, Ana after some tweaking of her own is better, by just a bit.

sunof tennis
09-26-2012, 06:39 AM
neither. Pre-surgery Maria.

NDFM
09-26-2012, 08:54 AM
i dont know if its just me but Ivaovic has a weird toss but her serve is better than maria's today (not before the surgery)

cc0509
09-26-2012, 09:05 AM
i dont know if its just me but Ivaovic has a weird toss but her serve is better than maria's today (not before the surgery)

I don't think so. I still think overall Maria's serve is better than Ivanovic's. Sure Maria's serve can be awful and inconsistent but it can also be very good and when she is on, it is a weapon for her. Ivanovic's consistently lousy toss makes her serve less of a weapon than Maria's imo.

The Dark Knight
09-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Sharapova is a natural lefty....if her stupid coaches didn't switch her she would have had the greatest serve of all time

NDFM
09-26-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't think so. I still think overall Maria's serve is better than Ivanovic's. Sure Maria's serve can be awful and inconsistent but it can also be very good and when she is on, it is a weapon for her. Ivanovic's consistently lousy toss makes her serve less of a weapon than Maria's imo.

she just needs to reduce her double-faulting and try to be consistent (and have some sense of confidence)with her serve although its easier said then done

Ripster
09-26-2012, 11:05 AM
They're both inconsistent but Sharapova can at least get some free points off her serve once in a while.

dangalak
09-26-2012, 11:33 AM
They're both inconsistent but Sharapova can at least get some free points off her serve once in a while.

And Ivanovic can't?

I would say Ivanovic is better in getting free points. Sharapova's first serve is higher percentage however. Recently, her serve is also getting more potent.

cc0509
09-27-2012, 03:38 AM
And Ivanovic can't?

I would say Ivanovic is better in getting free points. Sharapova's first serve is higher percentage however. Recently, her serve is also getting more potent.

Not with her serve she is not.

dominikk1985
09-27-2012, 06:47 AM

According to wiki ivanovic has one of the fastest serves ever recorded at nearly 125 mph. She can hit very big but her second serve is not really good.

Kegzz
09-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Both of their serves are horrifically inconsistent, and awful when off. Ivanovic is more careful than Sharapova on second serves which is why her DF count is on average less than Maria's. Overall though, I think Sharapova has the better serve simply because she's far more consistent (reaching later rounds consistently) so her serve must be doing something right. Especially because two years ago she was a DF machine and she's recently managed to cut down on those DFs bar a few matches.

Sabratha
09-27-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm going to say Sharapova.

The-Champ
09-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Sharapova is a natural lefty....if her stupid coaches didn't switch her she would have had the greatest serve of all time

Lol. Not in a million years :)

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Explanation for that statement, please.

The Dark Knight
09-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Explanation for that statement, please.

Sharapova was born a lefty. Her genius coaches decided to force her to play righty.

I can understand switching a righty to a lefty.....but not the other way around.

Leftys are really hard to deal with and their serves come in at weird angles and the bounce is odd.

Plus it's her natural stroke......serving righty she blew out her arm and had to have shoulder surgery.

Lefts are few and far between......but they are very successful.....

Laver, McEnroe , Nadal.....I think Connors as well.

Even leftys hate to face a lefty......in baseball you don't want to deal with a lefty pitcher or even a lefty hitter....same in boxing.....the southpaw is always the most dangerous.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Sharapova was born a lefty. Her genius coaches decided to force her to play righty.

I can understand switching a righty to a lefty.....but not the other way around.

Leftys are really hard to deal with and their serves come in at weird angles and the bounce is odd.

Plus it's her natural stroke......serving righty she blew out her arm and had to have shoulder surgery.

Lefts are few and far between......but they are very successful.....

Laver, McEnroe , Nadal.....I think Connors as well.

Yes, Connors was a lefty, but in McEnroe's case--as creative, fast and well placed as his serve was--he still had many of his serves returned not only by Connors (arguably the greatest returner ever), but the right handed Lendl and Becker--the last two McEnroe facing during and after crossing the border of his prime.

That said, if Mara developed as leffy server, she may have developed the same shoulder issues, and still have to face one of the greatest returner in women's tennis history (Serena).

dangalak
09-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Both of their serves are horrifically inconsistent, and awful when off. Ivanovic is more careful than Sharapova on second serves which is why her DF count is on average less than Maria's. Overall though, I think Sharapova has the better serve simply because she's far more consistent (reaching later rounds consistently) so her serve must be doing something right. Especially because two years ago she was a DF machine and she's recently managed to cut down on those DFs bar a few matches.

No it must not. Unlike Ivanovic, she does have a backhand and a very good one. THAT is why she goes deep. Being mentally tougher and a much better returner doesn't hurt.

Yes, Connors was a lefty, but in McEnroe's case--as creative, fast and well placed as his serve was--he still had many of his serves returned not only by Connors (arguably the greatest returner ever), but the right handed Lendl and Becker--the last two McEnroe facing during and after crossing the border of his prime.

That said, if Mara developed as leffy server, she may have developed the same shoulder issues, and still have to face one of the greatest returner in women's tennis history (Serena).

I would rather hit slice serves to Serena's backhand than to her forehand. :lol: 2 handers have short reach, remember? Her forehand return is inhuman though. The lefty thing would help tremenduously against Serena.

However, she still would never be the best ever in serving since she would never acquire the pace needed to get past the best servers.

Ronaldo
09-27-2012, 07:02 PM

Imagine Masha as a switch hitter................................