PDA

View Full Version : Strange? Nadal's absence from the game.

effortless
09-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Does anyone else find Nadal's absence from the game strange?

I'm not a Nadal fan and i don't know everything about what happened in depth. So sorry if i get some of the details wrong. I do respect Nadal though.

From what i remember no one really had a clue that Nadal had major knee issues when he exited wimbledon. He had only just won the french open and then chose to play Halle, which wouldn't be typical of someone who needs a rest. He seemed to be playing at a reasonable level at wimbledon. Sure he might have seemed a little flat but it was only early stages of the tournament and people expected him to get better with time. The commentators (people's opinions i respect) did not comment on Nadal's movement at all.

After wimbledon we assume his tendonitis flared up a bit and maybe caused a slight decrease in performance that was barely perceptible. His injury begins to last longer and longer, seemingly increasing in severity over time. Starting as a minor tendonitis issue progressing to Hoffa's syndrome and who knows what now. How does your injury get worse overtime when you are supposedly resting?

I just feel like we are not being told the true story about Nadal's situation. It's just a hunch and as i said i am absolutely not a nadal expert. I am sure that Nadal has a good reason to be taking time off though.

What are people's opinions? Anyone got any theories/conspiracies?

Bartelby
09-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Nadal's absence just sucks all the air out of the room.

tusharlovesrafa
09-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Nadal's absence makes Fed look greater.

effortless
09-26-2012, 06:30 AM
come on... some more elaboration?

BHud
09-26-2012, 07:14 AM

Fed doesn't need Nadal to look greater...

mary fierce
09-26-2012, 07:20 AM
I find nothing strange about an injured athlete being absent from the game. I find your paranoia about it fascinating. Are you married? Have you accused your spouse of infidelity?

sureshs
09-26-2012, 07:28 AM

100% correct. If Nadal was not injured, Fed would not have won Wimbledon or the Olympics medal.

sunof tennis
09-26-2012, 07:33 AM
I find nothing strange about an injured athlete being absent from the game. I find your paranoia about it fascinating. Are you married? Have you accused your spouse of infidelity?

Really. A new poster and you can't control yourself enough to avoid accusing him of being paronoid and inquiring regarding whether his spouse is guilty of marital infidelity?
Now, to answer the actual question, while the reports coming from Nadal's camp have been sketchy and, at times inconsistent, it does appear that Nadal's knee problems are nothing really new, and given his history and game, not surprising. Nadal has struggled for years, on and off, with knee issues. He has a degenerative condition in his knees, which by the very nature of the condition will cause intermittent pain and discomfort.
The suspicion of something else, is caused by two things, one is a dislike of Nadal on the part of some posters here and, again, the inconsistent reports coming from the Nadal camp.

DropShotArtist
09-26-2012, 07:37 AM
100% correct. If Nadal was not injured, Fed would not have won Wimbledon or the Olympics medal.

True, it's too bad he got caught.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 07:37 AM

Nadal could not beat Lucas Rosol that day. Nadal's never been a strong performer in the first week of Wimbledon and has always been ripe for an upset. Nothing to do with luck or injury. Remember the 2 back to back 5 set matches in 2010 Wimbledon? Nadal pulled a bogus time out and got coached just to survive that 5 setter. Typical Nad! :lol:

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 07:40 AM
LOL another nadal thread....

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Nadal also still hasn't figured out how to beat a sub-par Djokovic off clay. Let's not even talk about a healthy in-form Djokovic whom Nadal has no chance to beat on hardcourts.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Nadal also still hasn't figured out how to beat a sub-par Djokovic off clay. Let's not even talk about a healthy in-form Djokovic whom Nadal has no chance to beat on hardcourts.

Lol nadal hasn't figured out when he can next touch a tennis racket this is faaaaar off

Clarky21
09-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Really. A new poster and you can't control yourself enough to avoid accusing him of being paronoid and inquiring regarding whether his spouse is guilty of marital infidelity?
Now, to answer the actual question, while the reports coming from Nadal's camp have been sketchy and, at times inconsistent, it does appear that Nadal's knee problems are nothing really new, and given his history and game, not surprising. Nadal has struggled for years, on and off, with knee issues. He has a degenerative condition in his knees, which by the very nature of the condition will cause intermittent pain and discomfort.
The suspicion of something else, is caused by two things, one is a dislike of Nadal on the part of some posters here and, again, the inconsistent reports coming from the Nadal camp.

Check the sign up dates and you will see he/she was here long before you were.

syc23
09-26-2012, 07:58 AM
I fired up the BBC iPlayer and watched the Nadal v Rosol match in full yesterday and my thoughts were that Nadal seemed somewhat 'off' from the get go. There were so many FH errors which was uncharacteristic, he also slipped several times and looked like he was injured on a few occasions.

You have to credit Rosol also for playing the match of his life, he played a brand of first strike tennis which didn't give Rafa time to settle into the rally at all and was blasted off the court. The Czech was fearless, hit the ball so flat and everything just stayed in and served like a beast. To me, this was worse that the beating he took by Soderling and Delpo in '09.

There's something missing not having Rafa on the tour but I guess this gives others a chance to step up (Murray), I hope he comes back strong in 2013 to keep Roger/Nole/Murray honest.

Not seeing Rafa and Fed in a slam SF for the first time in a while was strange but this is a prelude of things to come as these 2 won't be around forever.

cknobman
09-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Tennis seems to be going along just fine without him.

In fact ATP stats show match times are down 15% since Wimbledon :)

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Tennis seems to be going along just fine without him.

In fact ATP stats show match times are down 15% since Wimbledon :)

LOOOOOL!!!! :lol:

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 08:00 AM
I fired up the BBC iPlayer and watched the Nadal v Rosol match in full yesterday and my thoughts were that Nadal seemed somewhat 'off' from the get go. There were so many FH errors which was uncharacteristic, he also slipped several times and looked like he was injured on a few occasions.

You have to credit Rosol also for playing the match of his life, he played a brand of first strike tennis which didn't give Rafa time to settle into the rally at all and was blasted off the court. The Czech was fearless, hit the ball so flat and everything just stayed in and served like a beast. To me, this was worse that the beating he took by Soderling and Delpo in '09.

There's something missing not having Rafa on the tour but I guess this gives others a chance to step up (Murray), I hope he comes back strong in 2013 to keep Roger/Nole/Murray honest.

Not seeing Rafa and Fed in a slam SF for the first time in a while was strange but this is a prelude of things to come as these 2 won't be around forever.

Funny how Nadal suddenly got "injured" as soon as he came off clay. :lol:
Typical *******s making excuses because their hero got bounced by a #100 ranked player.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Nadal losing in the first week of Wimbledon isn't that big of a shocker. Look back all the way to 2005 and see just how much he has struggled at Wimbledon. 2005, 2006, 2007...he was either on the verge of getting bounced or in a 5 set war.
2010...same thing. Back to back 5 set matches. Cheated to win.
2011...not his fault as he and the rest of the tour had few answers for the rise of Djokovic 2.0

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Nadal losing in the first week of Wimbledon isn't that big of a shocker. Look back all the way to 2005 and see just how much he has struggled at Wimbledon. 2005, 2006, 2007...he was either on the verge of getting bounced or in a 5 set war.
2010...same thing. Back to back 5 set matches. Cheated to win.
2011...not his fault as he and the rest of the tour had few answers for the rise of Djokovic 2.0

I agree with everything but how did he cheat? Lol

Clarky21
09-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Mike Shams doesn't know what he's talking about. You're wasting your time on him,especially if you expect him to be fair about anything related to Nadal.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Did you not ever see the Nadal/Petzschener match? Petz was up 2 sets to 1. Nadal took an MTO for a BOGUS knee rub down before Petz was to serve. Nadal came out like nothing was wrong and Petz's game went to hell.

ďI cannot say this. You have to ask him what it was. But I didnít feel any difference afterwards or before. So he was ‑‑ I thought he was moving great. I only could say if I would be injured like this once I would be happy. No, but I donít know. Maybe he had something. Maybe it was just a clever part to take a timeout there.
ďI donít assume that he didnít had anything, that there was just a timeout for no reason. I mean, you know that he has problems with his knee all the time. I think he got treatment for his knee again. So I donít assume that he just did to break my rhythm. But thatís what happened, and thatís mostly my fault. Yeah, thatís what I have to work on.Ē -Petzschner

Nadal ALSO tried to cheat against Rosol. Clearly delaying time between points on Rosol's serve, bodychecking Rosol during changeover when Nadal went down a break in the 3rd set, claiming he wasn't ready after Rosol hit an ace and robbing Rosol of a point.
Yes, Nadal IS a cheater and blatant one at that.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Mike Shams doesn't know what he's talking about. You're wasting your time on him,especially if you expect him to be fair about anything related to Nadal.

Yes, this coming from the person constantly spewing "Rafa is garbage and will never win anything ever again!" :lol:

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Did you not ever see the Nadal/Petzschener match? Petz was up 2 sets to 1. Nadal took an MTO for a BOGUS knee rub down before Petz was to serve. Nadal came out like nothing was wrong and Petz's game went to hell.

ďI cannot say this. You have to ask him what it was. But I didnít feel any difference afterwards or before. So he was ‑‑ I thought he was moving great. I only could say if I would be injured like this once I would be happy. No, but I donít know. Maybe he had something. Maybe it was just a clever part to take a timeout there.
ďI donít assume that he didnít had anything, that there was just a timeout for no reason. I mean, you know that he has problems with his knee all the time. I think he got treatment for his knee again. So I donít assume that he just did to break my rhythm. But thatís what happened, and thatís mostly my fault. Yeah, thatís what I have to work on.Ē -Petzschner

Nadal ALSO tried to cheat against Rosol. Clearly delaying time between points on Rosol's serve, bodychecking Rosol during changeover when Nadal went down a break in the 3rd set, claiming he wasn't ready after Rosol hit an ace and robbing Rosol of a point.

Yeah the Rosol match he clearly was trying to delay it but yeah I couldn't catch the full petschner match didn't know that!!

NDFM
09-26-2012, 08:54 AM

Didn't petzchner also take a medical timeout in the match or do you just choose to forget that? If a tennis player feels something is wrong with them they are entitled to take a MTO, it may turn out to be nothing serious but it's there to reassure them.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Didn't petzchner also take a medical timeout in the match or do you just choose to forget that? If a tennis player feels something is wrong with them they are entitled to take a MTO, it may turn out to be nothing serious but it's there to reassure them.

The rules are abused CONSTANTLY by Nadal. It's no different to the crap that Djokovic displayed against Murray. These young players have made a mockery of the time-out system and use it to their advantage. It's very clear they are not going to fall over and die just from playing a tennis match. We know very well they did not need to use the MTO rules for injuries. They used the MTOs for anything but their injuries. Nadal has a history of doing this. He deserves no benefit of the doubt, especially after the blatant cheating in the Rosol match.
He CLEARLY was trying to stop Rosol's momentum! It's all there, clear as crystal on tv. No Nadal fan can deny Nadal's shady tactics in that match, especially with his constant delay of time inbetween serves. Not just his own serve but Rosol's too who is standing there for 10 seconds waiting to serve while Nadal is walking around trying to stall.
Add in Nadal bodychecking Rosol during changeover and you see Nadal's true colours.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Yeah the Rosol match he clearly was trying to delay it but yeah I couldn't catch the full petschner match didn't know that!!

Well now you know. *******s will try to brush it off as if it's all legal and within the rules but we all know better. I guess Djokovic taking his time-out right before Murray was to serve out the match in the USO final was also all well and good too right, considering it's within the rules? :roll:

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 09:08 AM
It's also funny seeing Nadal whine and moan about his injuries in the Slams. Nadal says "I cracked my knee while sitting on a chair" right before the AO. *******s are like "Rafa is such a warrior to play despite his injuries!" :lol:
Nadal takes an MTO in the Del Potro match at Wimbledon thinking he's cracked his foot. X-ray shows again he's just a whiner trying to get sympathy. *******s lap it all up. :lol:

Murrayfan31
09-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Second offense from Nadal. Longer ban this time compared to 2009. :)

NDFM
09-26-2012, 09:12 AM
The rules are abused CONSTANTLY by Nadal. It's no different to the crap that Djokovic displayed against Murray. These young players have made a mockery of the time-out system and use it to their advantage. It's very clear they are not going to fall over and die just from playing a tennis match. We know very well they did not need to use the MTO rules for injuries. They used the MTOs for anything but their injuries. Nadal has a history of doing this. He deserves no benefit of the doubt, especially after the blatant cheating in the Rosol match.
He CLEARLY was trying to stop Rosol's momentum! It's all there, clear as crystal on tv. No Nadal fan can deny Nadal's shady tactics in that match, especially with his constant delay of time inbetween serves. Not just his own serve but Rosol's too who is standing there for 10 seconds waiting to serve while Nadal is walking around trying to stall.
Add in Nadal bodychecking Rosol during changeover and you see Nadal's true colours.

if a player loses all their momentum after their opponent has taken a MTO then that player needs to really look at themselves becuase that shouldn't happen, they only have themselves to blame. You do make it seem that whenever nadal/djokovic take a MTO they are cheating they both have a history with injuries (and allergies in djokovic's case) so if they feel something wrong with them they will try to prevent things getting worse if they are serious, if not then they know they continue the match just fine. Yep nadal does take his time between points but that is his routine it allows him to get ready for the next point or his serve just like djokovic's numerous ball bounces before serve it helps him get into the right frame of mind to serve.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
if a player loses all their momentum after their opponent has taken a MTO then that player needs to really look at themselves becuase that shouldn't happen, they only have themselves to blame. You do make it seem that whenever nadal/djokovic take a MTO they are cheating they both have a history with injuries (and allergies in djokovic's case) so if they feel something wrong with them they will try to prevent things getting worse if they are serious, if not then they know they continue the match just fine. Yep nadal does take his time between points but that is his routine it allows him to get ready for the next point or his serve just like djokovic's numerous ball bounces before serve it helps him get into the right frame of mind to serve.

Jeez! Why am I talking to another delusional *******? :lol:
So it's the other guy's fault and everybody should conform to Nadal and Djokovic? Now I've heard it all! :lol: :lol:

NDFM
09-26-2012, 09:16 AM
It's also funny seeing Nadal whine and moan about his injuries in the Slams. Nadal says "I cracked my knee while sitting on a chair" right before the AO. *******s are like "Rafa is such a warrior to play despite his injuries!" :lol:
Nadal takes an MTO in the Del Potro match at Wimbledon thinking he's cracked his foot. X-ray shows again he's just a whiner trying to get sympathy. *******s lap it all up. :lol:

I think del potro also took a MTO in that match as well maybe he was cheating too or maybe he was also worried he hurt himself in someway. Nadal does have some sort of issue with a bone in his foot so he must hae been worried, I think nadal ended up losing the set he took the MTO in (if i can remember correctly, not too sure).

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 09:17 AM
The rating for the US Open men's final this year was 3 times higher than Nadal's capture of the US Open crown in 2010. It's obvious Nadal is not that badly missed based on tv viewership.

NDFM
09-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Jeez! Why am I talking to another delusional *******? :lol:
So it's the other guy's fault and everybody should conform to Nadal and Djokovic? Now I've heard it all! :lol: :lol:

I'm not a ******* there are somethings I dislike about him, he does lack some things in his game that other players possess that i prefer like federer but he just gets so much hate on here

cluckcluck
09-26-2012, 09:18 AM
He's not really all that absent, http://youtu.be/1jOiHYwN8Tk

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Second offense from Nadal. Longer ban this time compared to 2009. :)

Nadal loses a Slam match and his whole season goes to crap. He just can't handle losing to anybody outside of the top 4 guys it seems.

sunof tennis
09-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Check the sign up dates and you will see he/she was here long before you were.

Well, the note with his post said new user, joining in Sept. 2012. If I am wrong, I apologize, but the substance of my remarks remain true.

smash hit
09-26-2012, 10:06 AM

Yes he did, but some people here have very selective memory. As for the coaching issue here is what Petzchner thought ,

Q. You were complaining to the referee about the coaching by Rafael with...
PHILIPP PETZSCHNER: No, I didn't complain.

Q. No?
PHILIPP PETZSCHNER: No.

Q. Did you hear it?
PHILIPP PETZSCHNER: No, I just heard words, but it could have been "vamos" or whatever. It's anyway tough to hear if you're down on the court, because the whole arena is pretty loud.
So I don't know why he gave the warning for or if it was coaching or not. I have absolutely in idea. I can just tell if you are down there, you almost understand nothing from up there, even if they are screaming at you.
I think there was no coaching involved. That's what I think.

The so called body check on Rosol was infact a slight bump, which could have been avoided if Rosol had stepped back. This incident has been blown out of all proportion. If you look at video of the bump, Rosol sees Nadal striding towards him and as Nadal who wasn't even looking in the direction of Rosol gets nearer he decides to put his towel over his face. The whole incident could have been avoided by Rosol, but he chose to continue walking forward.

smash hit
09-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I think del potro also took a MTO in that match as well maybe he was cheating too or maybe he was also worried he hurt himself in someway. Nadal does have some sort of issue with a bone in his foot so he must hae been worried, I think nadal ended up losing the set he took the MTO in (if i can remember correctly, not too sure).

Right again, but the selective memory is still in operation. Nadal took a MTO in the Del Potro match when the momentum was in his favour. He does have a congenital problem with his left foot, which means that a particular bone is prone to fracture. Since he says that the sudden pain was the same as when he had sustained a fracture before is it any wonder that he took the time to have it checked?

NDFM
09-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Yes he did, but some people here have very selective memory. As for the coaching issue here is what Petzchner thought ,

Q. No?

Q. Did you hear it?
PHILIPP PETZSCHNER: No, I just heard words, but it could have been "vamos" or whatever. It's anyway tough to hear if you're down on the court, because the whole arena is pretty loud.
So I don't know why he gave the warning for or if it was coaching or not. I have absolutely in idea. I can just tell if you are down there, you almost understand nothing from up there, even if they are screaming at you.

The so called body check on Rosol was infact a slight bump, which could have been avoided if Rosol had stepped back. This incident has been blown out of all proportion. If you look at video of the bump, Rosol sees Nadal striding towards him and as Nadal who wasn't even looking in the direction of Rosol gets nearer he decides to put his towel over his face. The whole incident could have been avoided by Rosol, but he chose to continue walking forward.

There are many haters of nadal on here who will believe what they want to believe and choose to ignore other things such as petzchner's take on the whole coaching thing.

fps
09-26-2012, 10:46 AM
I've got a theory that you're a troll. That's about all I've got.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 11:15 AM

Q. No?

Q. Did you hear it?

The bodycheck was intentional, my son. Just as intentional as Nadal's consistent delaying of points on Rosol's serve along with his intentional claim that he wasn't ready to receive serve after getting aced and robbing Rosol of a point. I don't believe what I choose to believe. The proof is there on video.
Nadal's bumping of Rosol was flagrant and Nadal apologized several times for doing what he did because he KNOWS it was flagrant. I don't know why you silly *******s can't see things the way they are.
And Nadal also called for a completely bogus MTO to disrupt Petzschener on his serve.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Nadal took the MTO for his foot right before the tiebreak in the first set against delpo wimby 2009 but managed to win it

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Right again, but the selective memory is still in operation. Nadal took a MTO in the Del Potro match when the momentum was in his favour. He does have a congenital problem with his left foot, which means that a particular bone is prone to fracture. Since he says that the sudden pain was the same as when he had sustained a fracture before is it any wonder that he took the time to have it checked?

There was no favour in momentum against Del Potro. Nadal is what is known as a hypochondriac. From cracked knees to broken feet to an obsession with walking over court lines and lining up water bottles, he has some issues. And he's also a cheater. He even tried to get a TO on Djokovic's serve in their Indian Wells 2008 match. Umpire told him "No". Nadal played on with the same intensity, but got blown off the court all the same.

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Nadal took the MTO for his foot right before the tiebreak in the first set against delpo wimby 2009 but managed to win it

wimby 2011 you mean. Del Potro was underestimated in that match. Nadal wasn't liking what he was seeing from the other side of the court. You could feel the tension and anxiety. Nadal had a match on his hands. Much like against Rosol. But nobody on here knew if Del Potro was really any good on grass as he had never performed too well on grass up to that point.

Pete.Sampras.
09-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Whether Nadal's timeouts were necessary or not doesn't matter. Even if Nadal used them to break the opponent's rhythm, how is that cheating? It's not the finest way but taking a timeout or going to the toilet is not cheating.

Whatever happened to the days when the book "winning ugly" was popular. If I had to take a timeout to get through a tough second round and then win the whole slam, I would do it. That doesn't mean I'd not rather get through with perfect tennis and no sets lost.

Petzschner doesn't really say that Nadal was cheating either. He even said that he has to work on keeping his rhythm up.

But back to the OP, yes it is strange that he was just gone all of a sudden. It seemed as if his knees were fine duing the clay season and he didn't even use any of the knee-supporing stuff anymore. I just hope that he will return in 2013. It would be sad to lose such a great player...

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
wimby 2011 you mean. Del Potro was underestimated in that match. Nadal wasn't liking what he was seeing from the other side of the court. You could feel the tension and anxiety. Nadal had a match on his hands. Much like against Rosol. But nobody on here knew if Del Potro was really any good on grass as he had never performed too well on grass up to that point.

Yessir 2011 sorry

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I've got a theory that you're a troll. That's about all I've got.

I've got a theory that you're a hardcore *******. :lol:

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Whether Nadal's timeouts were necessary or not doesn't matter. Even if Nadal used them to break the opponent's rhythm, how is that cheating? It's not the finest way but taking a timeout or going to the toilet is not cheating.

Whatever happened to the days when the book "winning ugly" was popular. If I had to take a timeout to get through a tough second round and then win the whole slam, I would do it. That doesn't mean I'd not rather get through with perfect tennis and no sets lost.

Petzschner doesn't really say that Nadal was cheating either. He even said that he has to work on keeping his rhythm up.

But back to the OP, yes it is strange that he was just gone all of a sudden. It seemed as if his knees were fine duing the clay season and he didn't even use any of the knee-supporing stuff anymore. I just hope that he will return in 2013. It would be sad to lose such a great player...

But you didn't do any of this when you were playing ;)

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 11:26 AM

:shock::shock::shock:

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 11:27 AM
But you didn't do any of this when you were playing ;)

I know. Such a strange comment coming from the legendary Pete Sampras. Very sad. I expected so much better.:(

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 11:29 AM
I know. Such a strange comment coming from the legendary Pete Sampras. Very sad. I expected so much better.:(

The man lost some trophies he has no intention of getting sued by nadal's team so that's wh :)

Zarfot Z
09-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Geez guys, give Nadal a frigging break. The man plays an incredibly brutal style of tennis all year long, and it is obvious his knees cannot keep up with him. There is nothing strange or suspicious about this ban.

smash hit
09-26-2012, 01:56 PM
The bodycheck was intentional, my son. Just as intentional as Nadal's consistent delaying of points on Rosol's serve along with his intentional claim that he wasn't ready to receive serve after getting aced and robbing Rosol of a point. I don't believe what I choose to believe. The proof is there on video.
Nadal's bumping of Rosol was flagrant and Nadal apologized several times for doing what he did because he KNOWS it was flagrant. I don't know why you silly *******s can't see things the way they are.
And Nadal also called for a completely bogus MTO to disrupt Petzschener on his serve.

Please don't try talking down to me, or I may have to refer to you as sonny. I am not a snotty nosed kid.

I watched the match and I have looked at the video. You should try watching it when you have removed the blinkers of hatred. I could make a good case for the scenario that Rosol set up the whole bumping incident, which in actual fact was nothing more than a brush. Rosol saw Nadal approaching, Nadal was past the net post on his side before Rosol reached the post on his side, Rosol glanced at Nadal, put the towel over his face and continued forward. Nadal was not even looking at Rosol. If Rosol had not moved forward they would not even have touched. As for Nadal being guilty because he apologized, well it's no different than if you bump someone in the street. Ever done that? I certainly have and I was guilty of apologizing effusively.

Why does everyone who supports Nadal have to be labled a *******? Are you a Safintard? Incidently Safin had some decent things to say about Nadal.
Q. If I could just ask you a question about Nadal. When he first came on the tour, he's always been very comfortable on clay. Has it surprised you how he's been able to develop his game on the other surfaces as well and become such a dominant player on the other surfaces?

MARAT SAFIN: He's very enthusiastic, and he's just into the game and he's 100% concentrated on the game. He has a lot of just motivation to get better and better.

Of course he's much more talented than he looks, because also a lot of people thought he doesn't have such great hands, but apparently he has unbelievable touch. He sees the ball quite well, unbelievable athlete.

So just it's easier to adapt yourself to other surfaces, and he adapt very well. Also he improved his serve and decided to go to the net. Just he breaks everybody mentally. Before the match, everybody knows that they don't have any chance.

He learns how to play on other surfaces, and I think it just was amazing. Nobody thought actually he managed to play great on grass, but he made it. It's really surprising, but it also makes you can take the hat off in front of him to show him my appreciation that he managed to do that in such a short period of time.

Q. He's also defending champion at the next two Slams. Would you say he has any chance given the level of competition?

MARAT SAFIN: He will win them again. He will win them. What's the problem. If he's not injured and he's playing well, so he will win it again.
(March 2009)

Mike Sams
09-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Please don't try talking down to me, or I may have to refer to you as sonny. I am not a snotty nosed kid.

I watched the match and I have looked at the video. You should try watching it when you have removed the blinkers of hatred. I could make a good case for the scenario that Rosol set up the whole bumping incident, which in actual fact was nothing more than a brush. Rosol saw Nadal approaching, Nadal was past the net post on his side before Rosol reached the post on his side, Rosol glanced at Nadal, put the towel over his face and continued forward. Nadal was not even looking at Rosol. If Rosol had not moved forward they would not even have touched. As for Nadal being guilty because he apologized, well it's no different than if you bump someone in the street. Ever done that? I certainly have and I was guilty of apologizing effusively.

Why does everyone who supports Nadal have to be labled a *******? Are you a Safintard? Incidently Safin had some decent things to say about Nadal.
Q. If I could just ask you a question about Nadal. When he first came on the tour, he's always been very comfortable on clay. Has it surprised you how he's been able to develop his game on the other surfaces as well and become such a dominant player on the other surfaces?

MARAT SAFIN: He's very enthusiastic, and he's just into the game and he's 100% concentrated on the game. He has a lot of just motivation to get better and better.

Of course he's much more talented than he looks, because also a lot of people thought he doesn't have such great hands, but apparently he has unbelievable touch. He sees the ball quite well, unbelievable athlete.

So just it's easier to adapt yourself to other surfaces, and he adapt very well. Also he improved his serve and decided to go to the net. Just he breaks everybody mentally. Before the match, everybody knows that they don't have any chance.

He learns how to play on other surfaces, and I think it just was amazing. Nobody thought actually he managed to play great on grass, but he made it. It's really surprising, but it also makes you can take the hat off in front of him to show him my appreciation that he managed to do that in such a short period of time.

Q. He's also defending champion at the next two Slams. Would you say he has any chance given the level of competition?

MARAT SAFIN: He will win them again. He will win them. What's the problem. If he's not injured and he's playing well, so he will win it again.
(March 2009)

Many clay court specialists have adapted to other surfaces, not just Nadal. Look at David Ferrer's Slam results. He's finished in the top 10 several times now and has gone to the semis or quarters in all Slams. The surfaces are all the same nowadays so it's not anywhere near as big a deal as it used to be. Slow clay-like surfaces. Perfect for Nadal.

effortless
09-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Back to the topic of the thread... I'm surprised more people don't share my suspicions of Nadal's 'injury'.
- maybe he has had an operation to fix something and has to recover?
- maybe he has personal issues to deal with?
- maybe he wants some time off in Mallorca?
- maybe it's some other injury/illness other than his knees?

I just don't understand how he went from no problems at all at the french to having 6 months off. We have to assume his knees were absolutely fine and then he absolutely destroyed them after only 3 matches (halle 1st match, wimbledon 1st and 2nd round).

effortless
09-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Tennis pros are always secretive and lie about the condition their bodies are in. Why should this be an exception?

effortless
09-26-2012, 04:17 PM
By the way Nadal is like most tennis players when it comes to sportsmanship. He'll do whatever it takes to give himself the best chance of winning. He does the right thing most of the time. However, he is not an angel like Federer. The only reason Nadal's sportsmanship looks bad sometimes is because he is compared to Federer.

Paul Murphy
09-26-2012, 04:44 PM
The guy says he's injured - I believe him.
End of story for me.

Clarky21
09-26-2012, 05:00 PM
By the way Nadal is like most tennis players when it comes to sportsmanship. He'll do whatever it takes to give himself the best chance of winning. He does the right thing most of the time. However, he is not an angel like Federer. The only reason Nadal's sportsmanship looks bad sometimes is because he is compared to Federer.

:roll:

10:roll:

fps
09-26-2012, 05:09 PM
I've got a theory that you're a hardcore *******. :lol:

Then I assume you've not seen anything I've ever posted :)

Crisstti
09-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Hey Mike Sams, try getting a life sometime. You might even find it more fun than just hating and talking BS all the time.

Back to the topic of the thread... I'm surprised more people don't share my suspicions of Nadal's 'injury'.
- maybe he has had an operation to fix something and has to recover?
- maybe he has personal issues to deal with?
- maybe he wants some time off in Mallorca?
- maybe it's some other injury/illness other than his knees?

I just don't understand how he went from no problems at all at the french to having 6 months off. We have to assume his knees were absolutely fine and then he absolutely destroyed them after only 3 matches (halle 1st match, wimbledon 1st and 2nd round).

No, I don't think we have to assume that at all.

smoledman
09-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Nadal admitted he was taking pain killing injections to get through the clay season.

NadalDramaQueen
09-26-2012, 08:58 PM
I can see why people are a little suspicious of everything that is going on with Nadal lately, but I have no doubt in my mind that a (much) less than 100% Nadal would still be able to pick up RG. Maybe Djokovic in his son of god mode would be able to best Nadal at the French, but it would be tough even then.

The Dark Knight
09-26-2012, 09:44 PM
I can see why people are a little suspicious of everything that is going on with Nadal lately, but I have no doubt in my mind that a (much) less than 100% Nadal would still be able to pick up RG. Maybe Djokovic in his son of god mode would be able to best Nadal at the French, but it would be tough even then.

Joker would only be the son of God....but Rafa is God . :-)

smoledman
09-26-2012, 09:45 PM

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/1677i704F8C130D16446F/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Pete.Sampras.
09-27-2012, 03:24 AM
But you didn't do any of this when you were playing

That's true. The good old days... :razz:

:shock::shock::shock:

Yeah, so...

Whether you like it or not doesn't matter. If you want to take a timeout and the umpire says you can, it's okay. Once again, "winning ugly" (in case Nadal did not have problems). It's not a nice way but it's not cheating.

cc0509
09-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by effortless

No, I don't think we have to assume that at all.

Crisstti how on earth do you explain how Nadal was able to play through the clay season and win all of those clay tournaments and then he did not withdrawal from Halle but played there and then played at Wimbledon and did not look like he had any knee problems at all? People who have real knee tendon problems and fat pad issues say that they can't even walk when their knee flares up let alone play competitive tennis the way Nadal does. It just does not make any sense at all.

TennisCJC
09-27-2012, 06:45 AM

I don't think a less than 100% Nadal can win RG. Clay court tennis especially the way Nadal plays it is very dependent on physicality. He has to get in his opponents head with his speed and consistency to win because he is not going to over power them or come up with a super aggressive game that puts them under pressure. If he is less than 100%, his chances of winning go down. He has to move well and stay out there a long time to grind them down. Maybe if he is 99% effective, he wins; but at 95% or less, his odds begin to drop dramatically.

Tennis is also a game of movement. If you have every tried to play with a nagging injury in your lower body - knee, ankle, calf; you know the quality of your game drops significantly. If you can not get setup quickly, you shot quality is not as good.

RF20Lennon
09-27-2012, 07:53 AM

If Rafa is God then Federer should be higher than god since there is no name for it we shall keep it as federer :)

So the order
1. Federer
2. God(rafa)
3. Son of god (nole)

The Dark Knight
09-27-2012, 08:02 AM
If Rafa is God then Federer should be higher than god since there is no name for it we shall keep it as federer :)

So the order
1. Federer
2. God(rafa)
3. Son of god (nole)

Doesn't really hold true because Nadal has quite an edge over Fed

If Nadal is around Fed has a big problem.

RF20Lennon
09-27-2012, 08:07 AM

So does nadal when djokovic around. The only true way to look at it objectively would be to compare accomplishments and success and federer outperforms both of them by a large margin

Mike Sams
09-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Does Nadal have more Slams? More Masters? More weeks at #1 than Federer?

The Dark Knight
09-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Does Nadal have more Slams? More Masters? More weeks at #1 than Federer?

No he doesn't....but then again Emerson has more slams than Laver.....and yet everyone thinks Laver was the better player.

There's no right answer. It's an opinion.

RF20Lennon
09-27-2012, 08:37 AM
No he doesn't....but then again Emerson has more slams than Laver.....but everyone thinks Laver was the better player.

Laver has a legitimate excuse he wasn't allowed to play slams for most of his pro career and he won the CYGS twice! Nadal has neither to defend him he is faaaaaar from federer's greatness

Mike Sams
09-27-2012, 08:38 AM
No he doesn't....but then again Emerson has more slams than Laver.....and yet everyone thinks Laver was the better player.

Has Nadal ever successfully defended a title off clay?

The Dark Knight
09-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Has Nadal ever successfully defended a title off clay?

Has Federer ever defended a title on clay?

I mean you can go back and forth forever.

I see the logic saying that Fed is the goat and I also see the logic against it.

I am persuaded by the argument that Nadal is the goat and you are persuaded by the argument that Federer is the goat.

It's all good.

The Dark Knight
09-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Laver has a legitimate excuse he wasn't allowed to play slams for most of his pro career and he won the CYGS twice! Nadal has neither to defend him he is faaaaaar from federer's greatness

And Nadal has a legit excuse as well.....he skipped Wimbledon due to personal reasons and injuries. And whammo....the beneficiary once again is fed.

You can go back and forth forever.

Neither side is right or wrong.

RF20Lennon
09-27-2012, 08:43 AM

I see the logic saying that Fed is the goat and I also see the logic against it.

I am persuaded by the argument that Nadal is the goat and you are persuaded by the argument that Federer is the goat.

It's all good.

Federer defended his hamburg title in 2005 I think

The Dark Knight
09-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Federer defended his hamburg title in 2005 I think

Who cares?

RF20Lennon
09-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Who cares?

It was your question but then again it would hurt nadal so I can see why you don't care

Mike Sams
09-27-2012, 08:52 AM

It's all good.

How is Nadal the goat considering he only has 1 USO and 1 AO and keeps losing to Djokovic everywhere off clay? :lol: Nadal isn't even on the level of Sampras. I'd take 7 Wimbledons and 5 USOs over Nadal's 7 RGs anyday. :lol:

Mike Sams
09-27-2012, 08:55 AM
And Nadal has a legit excuse as well.....he skipped Wimbledon due to personal reasons and injuries. And whammo....the beneficiary once again is fed.

You can go back and forth forever.

Neither side is right or wrong.

Uhm...didn't Federer beat Nadal twice for 2 of his Wimbledon titles? And even a healthy Nadal needed almost 5 hours and 9-7 in the 5th set to beat mono Fed in the dark. :lol:
It's not Federer's fault that Nadal isn't good enough to make the finals of Wimbledon.:) Even if Nadal makes the final, he basically needs to rely on Federer to beat Djokovic because Nadal can't beat Djokovic anywhere off clay.

Sabratha
09-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Uhm...didn't Federer beat Nadal twice for 2 of his Wimbledon titles? And even a healthy Nadal needed almost 5 hours and 9-7 in the 5th set to beat mono Fed in the dark. :lol:
It's not Federer's fault that Nadal isn't good enough to make the finals of Wimbledon.:) Even if Nadal makes the final, he basically needs to rely on Federer to beat Djokovic because Nadal can't beat Djokovic anywhere off clay.
Djokovic is down to his 2009/2010 level, it's possible.

Mike Sams
09-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Djokovic is down to his 2009/2010 level, it's possible.

Djokovic's confidence is MUCH higher than 2010. He never believed he could beat Federer and Nadal consistently in Slams back then. Now he's a true contender for ALL slams. A whole different player today. And Djokovic has proven to be a match-up problem for Nadal off clay. Nadal can't find any way to get the ball past Djokovic on either wing because of the Djokovic backhand and the incredible defense. Nadal basically is playing himself in these matches except Djokovic is faster and younger.

Feather
09-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Wimbledon officials fined Rafa during that match with Petz in 2010.. It's obvious that the officials felt what Rafa did wasn't fair.

sunof tennis
09-28-2012, 08:09 AM

But that is an apples to oranges comparision.. Emerson has more slams than Laver because he remained an amateur and was thus eligible to play in all the slams. Laver turned pro in the middle of his prime years. All those facts prove is the continuing difficulty of comparing careers of different generations. That difficulty doesn't apply to Fed vs. Nadal. Call me when Nadal wins 17 slams and still has a better head to head when they have played more often on non-clay surfaces.

VPhuc tennis fan
09-28-2012, 08:18 AM
But that is an apples to oranges comparision.. Call me when Nadal wins 17 slams and still has a better head to head when they have played more often on non-clay surfaces.
To TDK, apples, oranges, it's all the same...Fruit (or any other thing, I guess...)
You will never win an argument with TDK.
Expect him to pop up his worn-out arguments "not a matchup issue", "No one can beat Rafa, he's a beast", "Fed only won because of his weak era", etc. Last but not least "I take X over Mirka".
Finally, don't hold your breath waiting for his call...He's too busy tweaking more Fed-bashing threads in his The Dark Korner basement...:)

RF20Lennon
09-28-2012, 09:02 AM
To TDK, apples, oranges, it's all the same...Fruit (or any other thing, I guess...)
You will never win an argument with TDK.
Expect him to pop up his worn-out arguments "not a matchup issue", "No one can beat Rafa, he's a beast", "Fed only won because of his weak era", etc. Last but not least "I take X over Mirka".
Finally, don't hold your breath waiting for his call...He's too busy tweaking more Fed-bashing threads in his The Dark Korner basement...:)

LOL the Bat Basement ;)

TheNatural
09-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Does anyone else find Nadal's absence from the game strange?

I'm not a Nadal fan and i don't know everything about what happened in depth. So sorry if i get some of the details wrong. I do respect Nadal though.

From what i remember no one really had a clue that Nadal had major knee issues when he exited wimbledon. He had only just won the french open and then chose to play Halle, which wouldn't be typical of someone who needs a rest. He seemed to be playing at a reasonable level at wimbledon. Sure he might have seemed a little flat but it was only early stages of the tournament and people expected him to get better with time. The commentators (people's opinions i respect) did not comment on Nadal's movement at all.

After wimbledon we assume his tendonitis flared up a bit and maybe caused a slight decrease in performance that was barely perceptible. His injury begins to last longer and longer, seemingly increasing in severity over time. Starting as a minor tendonitis issue progressing to Hoffa's syndrome and who knows what now. How does your injury get worse overtime when you are supposedly resting?

I just feel like we are not being told the true story about Nadal's situation. It's just a hunch and as i said i am absolutely not a nadal expert. I am sure that Nadal has a good reason to be taking time off though.

What are people's opinions? Anyone got any theories/conspiracies?

here (http://espn.go.com/tennis/blog/_/name/bodo_peter/id/8434917/tennis-five-reasons-rafael-nadal-absence-help-him):

"At Roland Garros, I had to play with anti-inflammatories to get through. After that, I felt really bad. My practice before Wimbledon was terrible. I played the first round with injections; otherwise it would have been impossible. That doesn't help the knee. I've played a lot in pain before, as other people have done. The problem is when you run and you are thinking about where you are planting your leg. It is impossible to compete like that."