PDA

View Full Version : Roof-ology 101 :

The Dark Knight
09-26-2012, 07:04 AM
More than ever the Wimbledon roof impacted play. In addition to saving the tournament from total misery and a possible delay of the finals due to an incredibly soggy fortnight , it was closed when it was sunny outside. It was opened when it was rainy.

A strict (or maybe not so strict) 11:00 PM curfew came into play. A formerly outdoor tournament often became an indoor one . A daytime affair now went far deeper into the night and the closing of the roof impacted the momentum and nature of key matches---- including Nadal's loss and Federer's win. Other than that , it had no impact at all.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Is this the usual federer should not have won wimby thread?

Al Czervik
09-26-2012, 07:10 AM
I have no problem if that's your position. Just don't whine that Murray's US Open title was a fraud because it was wind aided.

The Dark Knight
09-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Is this the usual federer should not have won wimby thread?

Of course not.

He won fair and square . Just as Nadal did on slower grass.

It's the nature of the sport.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Of course not.

He won fair and square . Just as Nadal did on slower grass.

It's the nature of the sport.

Oh ok just clarifying but yes I agree with your post

The Dark Knight
09-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Oh ok just clarifying but yes I agree with your post

Personally I hate outdoor tennis.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Personally I hate outdoor tennis.

I like playing indoors too but on the pro tour I guess you need variety!

The Dark Knight
09-26-2012, 08:57 AM
I like playing indoors too but on the pro tour I guess you need variety!

I don't get how they deal with the sun at 12:00 pm ....and don't even wear sunglasses.

I could never have become a pro .....first because I'm not talented enough but secondly because I just can't deal with the elements.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 09:08 AM
I don't get how they deal with the sun at 12:00 pm ....and don't even wear sunglasses.

I could never have become a pro .....first because I'm not talented enough but secondly because I just can't deal with the elements.

I mean I live in Houston it gets pretty hot here but after a while you just get used to it

The Dark Knight
09-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I mean I live in Houston it gets pretty hot here but after a while you just get used to it

Amazing!

I just can't serve into the sun.

I've tried everything.....moving along the baseline....turning my shoulder......

What's worse is I like to serve and volley....so even if somehow I am able to get my serve in when I rush the net I can't see....all I see is spots.

Amazing how these guys do it. !

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Amazing!

I just can't serve into the sun.

I've tried everything.....moving along the baseline....turning my shoulder......

What's worse is I like to serve and volley....so even if somehow I am able to get my serve in when I rush the net I can't see....all I see is spots.

Amazing how these guys do it. !

Well I can't speak for pros because their so used to it they probably can do it with their eyes closed but what I do is try to lower my ball toss and look away as soon as my racket makes contact with the ball but overall if you play often in the sun your eyes and you get accustomed to it

Rock Strongo
09-26-2012, 10:16 AM
I'd much rather have some aerology. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ZkNV36Hxs)

sureshs
09-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Federer is very lucky

The Dark Knight
09-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Well I can't speak for pros because their so used to it they probably can do it with their eyes closed but what I do is try to lower my ball toss and look away as soon as my racket makes contact with the ball but overall if you play often in the sun your eyes and you get accustomed to it

Thanks, I keep trying.....but nothing works .:-(

Then throw into that some wind and I'm a dead man.

I enjoy the indoors with some nice AC....toss the ball exactly where I want. Plus no wind resistance so the ball travels faster......I can see why Federer excels more indoors .

In fact has Nadal ever even beaten Fed indoors?

hersito
09-26-2012, 02:13 PM
indoor tennis with AC? thats impossible in my country. Anyway I like clay outdoor tennis, you cant beat a nice sunny day outside playing tennis.

The Dark Knight
09-26-2012, 02:19 PM
indoor tennis with AC? thats impossible in my country. Anyway I like clay outdoor tennis, you cant beat a nice sunny day outside playing tennis.

To each his own.

I'll take the indoors any day.

Outdoors you have an extra opponent....the elements.

There's just so much to deal with .....even altitude affects things.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not putting outdoors down. In fact outdoors is so much harder to deal with than indoors. I respect guys who can win outdoors.....

The wind Andy had to deal with was incredible. Or how about the 2008 Wimbledon....they were playing in the dark.

It's just soooooooo hard.

NDFM
09-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks, I keep trying.....but nothing works .:-(

Then throw into that some wind and I'm a dead man.

I enjoy the indoors with some nice AC....toss the ball exactly where I want. Plus no wind resistance so the ball travels faster......I can see why Federer excels more indoors .

In fact has Nadal ever even beaten Fed indoors?

I think they have only played 4 times indoor at the YEC and nadal is 0-4 against federer there

smoledman
09-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I think they have only played 4 times indoor at the YEC and nadal is 0-4 against federer there

'nuff said. 10Rogers

フェデラー
09-26-2012, 04:09 PM
How does an outdoor tournament become an indoor one when there is only one roof over 16+ courts? The roof saved the tournament... look at what has happened to the US Open, all the monday finals, drops in attendance and viewership, etc.

The Dark Knight
09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
How does an outdoor tournament become an indoor one when there is only one roof over 16+ courts? The roof saved the tournament... look at what has happened to the US Open, all the monday finals, drops in attendance and viewership, etc.

Actually viewership was down this year at Wimbledon even with Murray in the final....a Brit.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 04:34 PM

The OP supports the roof

The Dark Knight
09-28-2012, 06:21 AM
The OP supports the roof

I don't support it nor am I against it.

It is what it is .

Tennis keeps changing and you can't cry because the conditions do not favor your favorite player.