PDA

View Full Version : What was your FAVOURITE Grand Slam this year?

-RF-
09-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Which one was it?

All Federer fans will vote for Wimby so that'll be the inevitable winner:p

SStrikerR
09-26-2012, 10:48 AM
AO, despite not getting any sleep for a good two weeks. It was exciting the whole time IMO, none of the other slams were.

Mustard
09-26-2012, 10:52 AM
The French Open.

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Match quality wise, AO. USO is the worst for me. Wimby and French are the same.

Backhanded Compliment
09-26-2012, 10:57 AM
I enjoyed all of them but the US Open's web streaming was light years ahead of the others. The winds and upsets from the quarters on made it less predictable than the other slams.

Ripster
09-26-2012, 11:01 AM
In order for me:

1) Australian Open
2) US Open
3) Wimbledon
4) French Open

Mick
09-26-2012, 11:02 AM
amazingly, it rained at the French, Wimbledon, and US on all those finals. Mine was the French because I wanted Nadal to stop his losing streak to Djokovic at the GS finals and he was able to do that.

flyinghippos101
09-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Australian Open for me.

Fyrepower
09-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Wimbledon, though nadal's loss was a bummer, i wanted fed to get back to his rightful rank as no. 1

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-26-2012, 11:04 AM
The only thing I'll give the USO is that the online streaming was extremely good.

veroniquem
09-26-2012, 11:05 AM
RG is ALWAYS my favorite slam. It's my home slam you know.

zam88
09-26-2012, 11:11 AM
I watched more USO due to living in America.

The AO final was the most intense match, although it was so long i couldn't even stomach watching it even having recorded it to fast forward through any lull periods.

I watched the least amount of French open since Nadal is the lock of all locks in that tournament when healthy... and I don't like Nadal (i do respect his clay GOATness though).

I watched as much Wimbledon as I could and I took an IMMENSE amount of satisfaction out of the Rosol match, the Federer semis, and finals.

By far Wimbledon.

USO with Murray's 1st was 2nd.

The AO is really dang unwatchable for US fans.

Mustard
09-26-2012, 11:15 AM
In 2012:

1. French Open
2. Australian Open
3. Wimbledon
4. US Open

Hood_Man
09-26-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm struggling to decide. The US Open had plenty of 5 set dramas at the start and Murray winning a major, but the wind really spoiled things and Nadal's absence was really felt.

The Australian Open had that terrific final and semi finals, and Hewitt showing he can still cause trouble to the top young guys.

Wimbledon gave us the Nadal/Rosol upset, Federer's struggles to the win, and a first British finalist in a million years.

But... I think the French Open wins it. Federer lost, I think, 5 sets before he even reached the semis, with the exciting comeback against Del Potro and the introduction of David Goffin to the tennis headlines. I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say that I was content at the thought of Federer losing that match, Goffin looked so terrific :)
Then Djokovic once again displayed his testicles of solid rock against Tsonga, and also came back from 0-2 down in an earlier round.

It's been a good year for the Majors I think. 4 different winners, all 4 of the top players were really challenged, by each other and by other players. It's been a memorable year :)

tennis_pro
09-26-2012, 12:02 PM
This is what the majors were for me this year:

AO - not a fan of grindfests but the tourny was very enjoyable, both semis and the final were brilliant, there were tons of other fabulous matches, had a lot of different stories like Hewitt going deep and giving Djokovic a run for his money, the famous Berdych-Almagro handshake after a great match, Federer schooling Tomic in front of a home crowd, Baghdatis destroying 4 racquets in under 60 seconds, the Isner-Nalbandian failed challenge, the epic game of the Murray-Llodra match etc. Plus the fact that it's been my favorite GS tournament for years, it was really THE major of the year.

FO - had some great matches (Djokovic-Seppi, Djokovic-Tsonga, Federer-Del Potro f.e.) but it was way too darn obvious that Nadal was going to win the title so it being too predictable killed the tournament for me (I'm sure Nadal fans loved to see another "easy slam" for Rafa, though).

Wimbledon - other than the Rosol upset and arguably the final there haven't been any memorable matches this year. I guess I was too happy to see Federer win the title in the end so it didn't matter. I'd put Wimbledon on par with the FO this year.

US Open - by far the worst major of the year, I mean my God...the ever lasting rain delays, terribly windy conditions which decreased the quality of the matches. I mean even the final despite going 5 sets was fun only in the first set. The only good match that I can think of at the moment is Ferrer-Tipsarevic (one would thing - Ferrer? Tipsarevic? The best match of the tournament? Really...?), some were good for a set (Del Potro-Djokovic 2nd set).

To sum it up:

AO>>>>>>>>>>>>FO=Wimbledon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>US Open

tennis_pro
09-26-2012, 12:07 PM
The AO is really dang unwatchable for US fans.

Not only in the States it's unwatchable. Here in central Europe the action starts (STARTS) at 1 a.m. The only good part is that the really good matches in the night session take longer to commence, maybe at 8-10 a.m. which is OK if you're not at work.

I guess that's why some (like I do) love this tournament.

kaku
09-26-2012, 12:36 PM
AO, but voted USO just because :)

Nathaniel_Near
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Clearly Wimbledon. It was the only Slam that helped players consistently produce slightly more varied and entertaining styles of tennis.

Nathaniel_Near
09-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Oh. And the US Open was by far the worst Slam event this year.

cknobman
09-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Lets see:

1. Wimbledon
2. Rosol
3. 5th set 2nd Round Wimbledon Rosol vs Nadal
4. USO - Murray finally wins a slam

:)

movdqa
09-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Wimbledon
Australian
French
US Open (conditions (rain, wind, no roof) were ridiculous)

DM07
09-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Wimbledon was insane fun. The early excitement of the first-week night-matches Federer-Benneteau and Murray-Baghdatis, not to mention the Greatest First Week Upset of All Time in Nadal-Rosol (most memorable match for many years). This was the first time since forever that the first week of a slam was actually interesting.

Then the Fed-Djoker semi-final, the emotion of Murray making the final and his defeat, Federer winning his first slam in over two years, returning to number 1 and matching/beating more of Pete's records ... just so many stories. Best slam for ages.

kishnabe
09-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Wimbledon.....it was a great upset of Nadal and showed that great tennis can still be player without him in the Semis.

NDFM
09-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Wimbledon.....it was a great upset of Nadal and showed that great tennis can still be player without him in the Semis.

i agree to a certain extent, I only enjoyed the fed-djokovic semi, i think Tsonga started off too slow in his semi so it was only really competitive for like 2 sets, but that nadal upset was just something else, i've never seen someone play with such power in a deciding set like rosol did. As a nadal fan it was a shame to see him go out in the second round but rosol deserved the win with the way he played

The-Champ
09-26-2012, 03:00 PM
1. FO. This year, Rafa prevented another great player from acquiring the 4 in a row, while at the same time setting a new record for himself.

2. USO. Nice to see Murray finally winning his first of many majors.

Paul Murphy
09-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Loved the Wimbledon result but there were more thrills and spills at the AO this year, including that war-of-attrition final.
Hewitt's run was a highlight as was the Murray/Djok semi.

okdude1992
09-26-2012, 03:47 PM
all the slams were pretty good this year. it was cool to see 4 different winners for the first time since 2003.

Tony48
09-26-2012, 04:44 PM
1. French Open (I was excited for Novak in his first RG final)
2. Australian Open
3. Wimbledon
4. U.S. Open

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Wimby
Aussie
French
US *this would be 3rd if it wasnt for the terrible wind and rain fiasco.

RF20Lennon
09-26-2012, 04:50 PM
all the slams were pretty good this year. it was cool to see 4 different winners for the first time since 2003.

Yes I agree that was exciting to see!!! :)

augustobt
09-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Wimbledon >>> Australian Open > US Open (Tipsarevic x Ferrer) = French Open (Tsonga x Djokovic)