PDA

View Full Version : Tignor: When Muzz met Fed

batz
09-27-2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/09/catching-tape/39571/#.UGSPTbKPXSg

Nice piece on the first match between Roger and Murray - the 2005 Bangkok Final.

Mainad
09-27-2012, 01:11 PM
I wonder what Roger would have thought if he knew that he would lose his next two matches to Murray and would not beat him again until 3 years later at the 2008 USO final?

kishnabe
09-27-2012, 01:23 PM
I think he was assuming that Murray would improve. A very young Murray in 2005.....seemed like a great player for his age....but he kept that same frame of game for a few years.

That what annoyed Federer.

Mainad
09-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I think he was assuming that Murray would improve. A very young Murray in 2005.....seemed like a great player for his age....but he kept that same frame of game for a few years.

That what annoyed Federer.

Well Murray WAS a great player for his age and he DID improve. He learned how to handle Federer, at least in best of 3 matches. It's true he hasn't quite mastered best of 5 matches with him yet although he finally made a start in the Olympic final this year.

It was after losing to him for the second time in Dubai in 2008 that Federer made his tetchy comments about Murray's style of play. It was one thing to praise an up-and-coming young player whom you have just beaten in a final, something else when you have just lost to him for the second time running.

After Federer finally re-asserted his dominance at the USO final that same year, he went on to lose his next 4 matches to Murray and today continues to have a negative H2H against him,currently 8-9 but he will no doubt take satisfaction that he has always had the upper hand in their Slam final meetings, currently 3-0 and is overall 5-3 against him in finals.

Hood_Man
09-27-2012, 03:03 PM
If I'd seen that match live I may well have been rooting for Murray.

The Dark Days before the Federer fandom really took hold of me :twisted:

rommil
09-28-2012, 06:53 AM
I like how Murray seems more composed here.