PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone prefer the look of a double handed BH over a single?

Paul Murphy
09-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Not me.
For me the single played well is the best looking shot in the game.
Having said that if I had a kid I'd encourage them to play with a double.

But does anyone like the look of a double hander more than a single?
And if so, why?

Gizo
09-29-2012, 02:43 AM
I personally think that a generally a good one handed backhand will look more beautiful than a good two handed backhand, but that a bad one hander looks worse than a bad two hander.

tennis_pro
09-29-2012, 02:50 AM
Back in the day when I was starting off I used to hit a double handed backhand. Then I switched to a single hander as I couldn't hit a DTL backhand with the double hander. Now it turns out to be the best shot of my arsenal:)

I guess whatever works for you. If you want to try out in the pros, I'd recommend the 2-handed backhand. If it's just to play with mates for fun, then whatever you prefer.

MichaelNadal
09-29-2012, 03:27 AM
I prefer the way the 2 hander looks honestly. I do think Federer's backhand is beautiful though, as was Henin's.

The Bawss
09-29-2012, 03:27 AM
The single hander is better looking. Period.

I play with a single although I know it is less consistent than a double and I still have trouble with high balls to the backhand. But it's all worth it when you get the "wow"s after a nasty backhand winner.

MichaelNadal
09-29-2012, 03:29 AM
The single hander is better looking. Period.

I play with a single although I know it is less consistent than a double and I still have trouble with high balls to the backhand. But it's all worth it when you get the "wow"s after a nasty backhand winner.

Saying period after something means nothing. Its all opinionated. Djokovic, Safin, Agassi and even Nadal when he hits his aggressively get the same wow's. As do countless others.

Zarfot Z
09-29-2012, 04:28 AM
I think we can all agree that the single handed BH is definitely the more aesthetically pleasing shot.

But as far as which BH is actually more effective, well that's a different story completely...

Mike Sams
09-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Nalbandian's 2 handed backhand is quality. He goes DTL or CC.

Paul Murphy
09-29-2012, 04:34 AM
I think we can all agree that the single handed BH is definitely the more aesthetically pleasing shot.

I think that and I imagine most do but I was just wondering if someone disagrees.
To me the double is efficient and effective but it's not a patch on the single.

MichaelNadal
09-29-2012, 04:54 AM
I think that and I imagine most do but I was just wondering if someone disagrees.
To me the double is efficient and effective but it's not a patch on the single.

Eh, i get where you guys are coming from but i don't think just because someone has a single its automatically better looking. I think on average as i said, i prefer the look of the two hander. There are some amazing one handers out there, but heck, i hit my backhand one handed, does mine automatically look better than Davydenko's?

The Bawss
09-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Eh, i get where you guys are coming from but i don't think just because someone has a single its automatically better looking. I think on average as i said, i prefer the look of the two hander. There are some amazing one handers out there, but heck, i hit my backhand one handed, does mine automatically look better than Davydenko's?

Yes.

10 compliments.

merwy
09-29-2012, 05:19 AM
I like the look of the second hander more than the one hander. One reason is because I play with a two hander myself. If I'm watching a tennismatch I'm always imaging myself hitting those shots, can't do that with a one hander. And a two hander looks a lot more steady, hard to break down. A one hander looks so fragile and flashy. It doesn't look like it would hold up in a tough warrior-like battle. Seems like it's only better for hitting winners. And yes, I like Federer a lot and I like his backhand. But a strong, manly Safin-like backhand is more of my taste. I totally understand people saying they like one handers more though, they are indeed very beautiful with the right technique.

Ripster
09-29-2012, 09:58 AM
It depends. I'm not one of those people that considers the one-hander to be the best looking. Sure, there are some beautiful one handers but there are just as many really ugly ones. Same with the two hander.

kishnabe
09-29-2012, 10:43 AM
The only beautiful 2 hander...is Nalbandian. That the only time I would prefer a 2 hander.

Every other time...it would be the single hander.

smoledman
09-29-2012, 11:00 AM
The double hander is "rock solid" in a game dominated by double-handers. If most of the tour was single-handers it would be a different story.

InspectorRacquet
09-29-2012, 11:30 AM
I personally think that a generally a good one handed backhand will look more beautiful than a good two handed backhand, but that a bad one hander looks worse than a bad two hander.

That about sums it up right there.

loosegroove
09-29-2012, 11:45 AM
I do like the way a nicely struck one-handed backhand looks and feels. However at 4.0 and below (which is the realm I mainly play in), most of the one-handed bh shots I see are late, off balance, and not very fluid, other than the chip or slice shots. Granted at 4.0 there are a lot of ugly looking backhands period.

PhrygianDominant
09-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Before I tried to play tennis, I had only watched it on TV. At the time I thought that all one handers looked ridiculous. I know that sounds bad, but it's true; I thought one handers looked awkward, old fashioned, and impotent.

When I actually tried to play the game, I gained a new perspective, and was able to watch tennis on TV in 3 dimensions; my mind drawing on my experience to fill in the blanks on the 2 dimensional screen. I immediately switched to a one hander and struggled with it until recently, when I finally settled back into a twohander to protect my wrist. I now can appreciate both for what they are, as there are esthetically pleasing twohanders, as well as unpleasing one handers.

The skill, confidence, and command of a well struck one hander versus the will, strength, and brutality of a well struck twohander, is indeed a matter of taste.

Gizo
09-29-2012, 12:08 PM
I do like the way a nicely struck one-handed backhand looks and feels. However at 4.0 and below (which is the realm I mainly play in), most of the one-handed bh shots I see are late, off balance, and not very fluid, other than the chip or slice shots. Granted at 4.0 there are a lot of ugly looking backhands period.

Yes that's right. A one handed backhand places greater requirement's on a player's timing, positioning and footwork than a two hander does. When all of those features are working well, a one hander looks so beautiful. When they are not working well, a one hander can look incredibly ugly.

reversef
09-29-2012, 12:15 PM
I love a great one hander, and I think it's the most beautiful backhand, but when many players used to play a one handed backhand, many of them were awful, and I've never seen one single 2 handed backhand as ugly as some of them.
So, as far as I'm concerned, the 2 handed one is, generally speaking, more pleasant and makes the game more attractive. Once in a while though, a player comes with a wonderful one hander, and it's fantastic to watch. What I can't understand is the people who consider ANY one handed backhand better. Most of them suck for me. That's why some beautiful one handers are so discussed. It's not common: these days because only a small minority still uses the one hander, and before because so many of them really sucked. The 2 handed one improved the game tremendously and I would hate to go back to a game full of bad one handed backhands.

Federer20042006
09-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Depends on who is hitting it.

Federer, Gasquet, Wawrinka, Mahut...I'll take the one hander aesthetically.

But if it's Lopez or...Karlovic...I think I'd prefer watching Nalbandian's. You know?

reversef
09-29-2012, 12:18 PM
I agree, except that it's not only about the lower level. Even at the pro level, I've seen many players whose one handed backhand was just awful.

Hood_Man
09-29-2012, 12:40 PM
I suppose the one hander for it's relative rareness, but I imagine I'd say the same for the two hander if this was reversed.

I'm a fan of what the player does with their choice of shot, rather than how they pull it off.

TheCheese
09-29-2012, 01:27 PM
I think it depends. Most 2 handers look pretty similar, there's not as much room for variation. So, I'd say that 2 handers are usually decently good looking, whereas single handers are either really beautiful, or ugly.

The Bawss
09-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Depends on who is hitting it.

Federer, Gasquet, Wawrinka, Mahut...I'll take the one hander aesthetically.

But if it's Lopez or...Karlovic...I think I'd prefer watching Nalbandian's. You know?

Karlovic ok but Lopez? Come on that is harsh, nothing wrong wrong with it!

gregor.b
09-29-2012, 01:58 PM
I agree, except that it's not only about the lower level. Even at the pro level, I've seen many players whose one handed backhand was just awful.

This one. Berasutaigi ( i think that is how it is spelt) comes to mind.Hitting with the same side of the racket face. Good player mind you, but an ugly backhand.

seattle_1hander
09-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Objective list of Ugliest drive/topspin backhands ever

1) Roddick
2) Serena/Venus
3) Nadal
4) Blake
5) Sampras

1 handers generally are pretty...but never allow yourself to think they can't be ugly. It's a matter of preference

MichaelNadal
09-29-2012, 02:31 PM

1) Roddick
2) Serena/Venus
3) Nadal
4) Blake
5) Sampras

1 handers generally are pretty...but never allow yourself to think they can't be ugly. It's a matter of preference

Venus's grip is disgusting, however the way she hits her backhand and the placement, power, and form on her swing makes me love it. She has my fav female backhand of all time. As far as Nadal's being ugly... its gross when he's pushing, when he's being aggressive with it, it's a beautiful shot and the swing looks totally different.

The Bawss
09-29-2012, 02:46 PM

1) Roddick
2) Serena/Venus
3) Nadal
4) Blake
5) Sampras

Roddick? Ugly.
Sampras? Vile.
Nadal? Awkward.
Serena/Venus? The WTA isn't tennis.
Blake? What is wrong with his backhand?

Gonzo had an awkward looking backhand, too.

Sid_Vicious
09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
I love a great one hander, and I think it's the most beautiful backhand, but when many players used to play a one handed backhand, many of them were awful, and I've never seen one single 2 handed backhand as ugly as some of them.
So, as far as I'm concerned, the 2 handed one is, generally speaking, more pleasant and makes the game more attractive. Once in a while though, a player comes with a wonderful one hander, and it's fantastic to watch. What I can't understand is the people who consider ANY one handed backhand better. Most of them suck for me. That's why some beautiful one handers are so discussed. It's not common: these days because only a small minority still uses the one hander, and before because so many of them really sucked. The 2 handed one improved the game tremendously and I would hate to go back to a game full of bad one handed backhands.

Well, now we have a tour full of people with horrendous and hideous-looking two handers. For every one smooth Agassi-like backhand, we have like 20 crappy, ugly, and stiff-armed two handed backhands.

http://www.athleteslivehere.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/tsonga.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/OAi3YnqH1k0/0.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-iNS6z0JssaY/TVLRIw9mFOI/AAAAAAAAMAk/xH-WJjnkzGU/2011-San-Jose-Milos-Raonic-backhand.jpg

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Really? As a one hander I love how Nadal's two handed looks (more than his forehand). Very smooth stroke in comparison to his forehand.

Sid_Vicious
09-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Really? As a one hander I love how Nadal's two handed looks (more than his forehand). Very smooth stroke in comparison to his forehand.

I think I have officially heard it all now on this forum. :)

Mikeadelic
09-29-2012, 03:34 PM
I personally think Djoker's backhand is better-looking than Nalby's. But I'm of the camp that a beautiful one-hander will always look better than the best-looking one-hander.

Also there tends to be more variation in style for a one-hander, making it more of a 'signature' shot. Naturally this will bring more attention to the shot. I don't think the same can be said for a two-hander - at least not to the extent of one-handers.

Larrysümmers
09-29-2012, 04:26 PM
they look the same .

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I think I have officially heard it all now on this forum. :)

Why? I didn't mean it was a better or more stable stroke, I meant that the way it looks doesn't look as cluttered as his forehand. Sorry if it didn't come out like I wanted it to.:-?

Mahboob Khan
09-29-2012, 06:13 PM
I always felt that a double handed BH player looked prisoner to me whereas the single handed BH player such as Roger Federer looked a free citizen of the world.

The short answer is: No.

Mahboob Khan
Director, MKTA, Islamabad Club
Quick Start and Cardio Tennis Programs
0092 300 8568403

Vcore89
09-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Only Marat Safin looks good with a two-hander, case closed. On the run flying 2-handed backhand smash, whew! That is oh-so-cool!

VeeSe
09-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Only Marat Safin looks good with a two-hander, case closed. On the run flying 2-handed backhand smash, whew! That is oh-so-cool!

Murray's backhand looks amazing to me as well.

Vcore89
09-29-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm sorry to say Murray's backhand is not quite there among the elites! By elites (plural) I meant Safin only (know what I mean?)!:cool:

JamieSafe
09-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Agassi has a curious 2 hander, sometimes I think it looks really good and sometimes it just looks awful. Very effective either way tho

Vcore89
09-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Andre is really hitting with a lefty forehand that looks like a 2HBH.

I Heart Thomas Muster
09-30-2012, 09:16 AM
I prefer watching one handed backhands myself but I can appreciate a two hander like Verdasco's. The high racquet head on his back swing is reminiscent of a one hander IMHO. I think it's a good looking shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9UfnbtXyU

TTMR
09-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Gulbis' backhand is cooler looking and more effective than most one-handers.

dangalak
09-30-2012, 09:28 AM

I really is great. But seeing somebody like Wawrinka going nuts however is awesome.

seattle_1hander
09-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Roddick? Ugly.
Sampras? Vile.
Nadal? Awkward.
Serena/Venus? The WTA isn't tennis.
Blake? What is wrong with his backhand?

Gonzo had an awkward looking backhand, too.

If we're talking about just the aesthetics of the stroke, he basically just brings it to his waste and "unsheaths the sword" so to speak. There's very little flow and he rarely if ever follows through all the way. It just doesn't look good to me at least. Kind of like how you would expect a young kid to do a 1hbh when he's just learning the stroke and doesn't have the timing to bring it up to his shoulders for a full loop. (this criticism is relevant to Sampras too).

seattle_1hander
09-30-2012, 10:05 AM

how about that new forehand :lol: