PDA

View Full Version : Can Serena score a second Serena Slam?

tennis_pro
09-29-2012, 11:05 AM
She's midway through holding all 4 majors at once with her Wimbledon and US trophies. She's as much of a lock for the AO as any woman can be for any specific slam these days. The French Open will be tough as she hasn't won it for 10 years and hasn't even reached another semis in the last 9. What say you?

NadalAgassi
09-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Definitely can. Heavy favorite for the Australian. The big challenge is the French. However if she doesnt choke in an early round like this year she should win it. There is no Henin anymore to stop her. Sharapova sure wont.

dangalak
09-29-2012, 11:12 AM
How many times has Serena beaten Sharapova on red clay? Remember, Sharapova is Azarenka's ***** as well, yet crushed her on red clay.

I think she has a chance, but don't think it's going to happen.

tennis_pro
09-29-2012, 11:16 AM
How many times has Serena beaten Sharapova on red clay? Remember, Sharapova is Azarenka's ***** as well, yet crushed her on red clay.

This is quite an interesting question. At first I bet everyone thinks "no way she wins 4 in a row" but then take a second look "who the hell is going to beat her, then? Wozniacki?"

jones101
09-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Serena can win the French again, but it a mental thing with her (as well as running into red-hot players).

Serena since she has comeback has proved if she wants something too much it hinders her.

And the FO is the one title she really wants, she has said numerous times how much she wants a second FO.

Serena, I just realised could have as many slams as Martina this time next year.

6-1 6-3 6-0
09-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Serena won't win Roland Garros.

NadalAgassi
09-29-2012, 12:03 PM

If Sharapova gets about 3 games in their last meeting on any clay, she is not going to beat Serena even on red clay. Sorry. If Serena somehow reaches Sharapova on clay, be it pink, yellow, green, brown, gold, or vampire blood, just like any other surface, Maria is toast.

Soianka
09-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Yes, she can do it.

If she stays healthy and motivated, it even seems likely based on her last few results.

I think her skipping out on the Asian wing of tournaments this year shows she is after the GS record and does not care too much about the #1 ranking.

I think she is going for 19 (and then 22)

lawrencejin
09-29-2012, 12:10 PM
This is quite an interesting question. At first I bet everyone thinks "no way she wins 4 in a row" but then take a second look "who the hell is going to beat her, then? Wozniacki?"

Who knows, Wozniacki might play a little better in her new designer underwear :D

NadalAgassi
09-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Wozniacki actually plays Serena tougher than most of the top 5 do, and actually plays Serena tougher than she can play most opponents in the top 15 today who generally crush Woz these days. Serena and Na are the only two top players she has beaten all year. Being that she sucks on clay and grass both though, her only chance to stop the Serena Slam streak anytime soon is if she draws her early in Australia, probably in the round of 16 (since we know otherwise Wozniacki wont be around herself by the semis or probably even quarters).

Doublebounce
09-29-2012, 01:27 PM

No, not Wozniacki. But players like Makarova and Razzano can. As we have seen, it is possible for serena to have off days and her opponents can become inspired no matter who she is playing.

kishnabe
09-29-2012, 04:05 PM
She was in superb form on clay....should have won that first match which would have meant the title right there. Sharapova is Serena pet dog and Eranni can handle power. Only Stosur would have been a problem.

Serena can win Aussie easily....the French Open she can play her way to theSF....we can see from there.

MichaelNadal
09-29-2012, 05:20 PM
She has little shot at Roland Garros, there's just something about that place that brings out the worst in her game.

NadalAgassi
09-29-2012, 06:17 PM
She has little shot at Roland Garros, there's just something about that place that brings out the worst in her game.

It is wierd. In 2003-2007 I blame her not winning there on Henin, the best clay courter of her generation (and losing to one of her big career nemisis Capriati in 04, the lone year in that period Henin didnt win). However since then her performances are inexplicable. In 2008 and 2012 coming in on great clay form and bombing. 2009 and 2010 not coming in on great clay form, but fighting her way to the quarters and basically the title match both times as that was her main opponent to get past for the title, being outplayed at first but given reprieves by opponents chokes in the 2nd set (along with her own GOAt fightback abilities) but then uncharacerstically choking herself in the 3rd set of both with the finish in sight.

With Henin long gone there really is nobody any better than Serena on clay out there. Especialy with someone like Kuznetsova also past her prime and not a threat for slams anymore. Stosur can win a French if she can continue to make progress vs some of her nemisis matchups (Azarenka and Sharapova especialy). Other than that there isnt really any threat to Serena if she can overcome her nerves- Sharapova (good clay courter but Serena's pigeon), Kvitova (not a clay courter), Azarenka (not a clay courter), Radwanska (not a clay courter or a threat to Serena in slams yet).

Zarfot Z
09-29-2012, 09:14 PM
I'd be surprised if she didn't. The rest of a field is a joke compared to Serena - the world number 1 can barely take 4 games off her.

dangalak
09-29-2012, 09:20 PM
I'd be surprised if she didn't. The rest of a field is a joke compared to Serena - the world number 1 can barely take 4 games off her.

Err, you know that Azarenka is the world number 1 right?

Not to mention, I did watch some Kvitova footage from the Davis Cup final last year. If she recovered that form.....:shock:

Zarfot Z
09-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Err, you know that Azarenka is the world number 1 right?

Nope. I lost track at about the beginning of this season. The WTA rankings are in constant flux. Its #1 changes on an almost weekly basis. Just goes to show how much of a joke it is.

dominikk1985
09-30-2012, 02:01 AM
She could but I don't think so. She has a good chance to win the AO but the AO are a little early in the year for her (depending on how much chocolate she eats over christmas:)).

the french will be very hard for her this is not her surface unless she is in perfect form.

sinless69uk
09-30-2012, 02:09 AM
Would this one be called a Golden Serena Slam?

Sabratha
09-30-2012, 02:23 AM
She can, but I don't know if she actually will. We will just have to wait and see.

Larry Lava
09-30-2012, 04:06 AM
She was in superb form on clay....should have won that first match which would have meant the title right there. Sharapova is Serena pet dog and Eranni can handle power. Only Stosur would have been a problem.

Serena can win Aussie easily....the French Open she can play her way to theSF....we can see from there.

I agree. Great clay season last year until that first round debacle at RG. Definitely saving herself for the next to GS's, although its a shame that she didn't go to Asia. Lots of romping with her new beau too... hopefully that's not to much of a distraction either. It didn't do Caro or Rory's game any good to be involved with each other, although Rory has recovered nicely and now Tiger is his b*$(%#.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-30-2012, 05:03 AM
Definitely can. Heavy favorite for the Australian. The big challenge is the French. However if she doesnt choke in an early round like this year she should win it. There is no Henin anymore to stop her. Sharapova sure wont.

Azarenka--not a natural clay courter--is the genuine threat with more weapons to overcome any shortcomings on that surface. That-- and her drive to prove she's the best player (b/c no one believes that since Wimbledon/Olympics/US Open blowout from Serena) should be Serena's biggest FO roadblock of the non-fluke variety (fluke as in players who only play like they care during the clay season).