PDA

View Full Version : Which is worse... Triple bagel or a golden set?

Zarfot Z
09-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Triple Bagel = Losing 0-6 0-6 0-6
Golden Set = Going through a set without winning a single point (equivalent of losing 24 points in a row)

EDIT: Wrongly posted this in the Pro Match Results section. Mods, feel free to delete the other thread.

dangalak
09-29-2012, 04:20 PM
triple bagel :lol:

you can actually win a match after golden set

Zarfot Z
09-29-2012, 04:23 PM

Try recovering after losing 24 points in a row :D

On a side note, I've actually seen matches with a 6-0 6-0 6-0 score that had some games which were closely contested.

NDFM
09-29-2012, 04:25 PM
With a golden set the stats will look great for the person who won the set: no unforced errors, 100% 1st serve points won, 100% Return points won etc....that's more impressive to me but that's my opinion. It looks pretty bad on the one that won absolutely no points and could demotivate them for the rest of the match

merwy
09-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Try recovering after losing 24 points in a row :D

On a side note, I've actually seen matches with a 6-0 6-0 6-0 score that had some games which were closely contested.

I think I've seen a women's match on Wimbledon where Errani (I think) lost a golden set in a 3 set match. So she did win a set in that match.

NDFM
09-29-2012, 04:52 PM
I think I've seen a women's match on Wimbledon where Errani (I think) lost a golden set in a 3 set match. So she did win a set in that match.

Errani lost that match 6-0 6-4 to Shvedova (i think that's how its spelt)

Big_Dangerous
09-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Yeah I don't see how you can recover after losing every single point in a set. That's pretty demoralizing.

Triple bagel isn't because you can have a ton of games that go to deuce. Hell I beat a dude the other day 6-2, 6-0, and the match felt a lot closer than the score. He really quit in the second set though. Never played someone who just gave up.

OHBH
09-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Golden set is much worse. Assuming both players are within the same realm of skill level it takes a very mentally weak player to not focus enough to win one point. At least with a bagel or even a few you can get close to a hold or break a couple times.

AnotherTennisProdigy
09-29-2012, 06:03 PM
I would feel pretty bad if I couldn't win a single point.

MichaelNadal
09-29-2012, 06:15 PM
I would feel pretty bad if I couldn't win a single point.

Same here, that's definitely worse to me.

Mustard
09-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Obviously a triple bagel is much worse, because you haven't won a single game for 3 straight sets, as opposed to being shut out for 1 set.

smoledman
09-29-2012, 08:51 PM
6-1 6-3 6-0 beyotches.

TennisA
09-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Golden Set, imo. Even if you lose 3/5 match 0,0, and 0, it doesn't mean you didn't put up a good fight. The loser could have won a near equivalent amount of points, but lost all of the vital ones. If you lose a Golden Set, you just were completely slaughtered

dangalak
09-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Golden Set, imo. Even if you lose 3/5 match 0,0, and 0, it doesn't mean you didn't put up a good fight. The loser could have won a near equivalent amount of points, but lost all of the vital ones. If you lose a Golden Set, you just were completely slaughtered

For 1 set.

Getting slaughtered matter little if you end up winning. I mean I doubt Serena is still crying about the bagel that Henin forcefed her in Miami 07. :lol: I think the same would hold true with a golden set.

Polaris
09-29-2012, 11:01 PM
It scares me that more people actually voted for the golden set being more humiliating.

Obviously, the triple bagel is more humiliating because you've lost the match with a horrible score. With a golden set, you still have a theoretically non-zero chance of winning the match.

The Bawss
09-29-2012, 11:07 PM
This is a good thread, OP. Obviously both are bad and would generate some gossip in the locker room. I would take the golden set.

Vcore89
09-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Golden set is very rare. Triple bagel can come much more often specially in the lower rank tournaments. Triple bagel though is more embarassing.

Tony48
09-30-2012, 01:57 AM
I would retire if I were ever triple bageled

Vcore89
09-30-2012, 02:13 AM
I would retire if I were ever triple bageled

Exactly, golden set is nice to achieve but being triple bageled isn't fun at all (and that's an understatement!)!

dominikk1985
09-30-2012, 02:51 AM

yes. I once got double bagled by a very good junior (nationally ranked at that time) but I considered a good match since I have several game points and hit some nice winners. I had no chance but I did fight.

In a golden set you need to really collapse no matter how well the opponent plays. Even the number 600 in the world would win at least a point against peak roger federer in 99% of the sets they played.

but a bagle is actually much more common.

MSK
09-30-2012, 03:17 AM
wow exactly a 50/50 opinion. would be pretty terrible being on the recieving end of either i guess...

ledwix
09-30-2012, 04:03 AM
Triple bagel > golden set > double bagel imo. At best 3 of 5 sets it is implied you are a professional, so triple bagel is the harshest of results possible to me. I was double bageled while playing a top ranked junior back in the day, and I didn't play too badly, winning a few decent rallies, so I feel like getting golden-setted would feel much worse in general than not being able to win more points than my opponent in six consecutive games.

Vcore89
09-30-2012, 10:04 AM
...but in a 5-setter, at one set apiece someone might lose a golden set intentionally specially when the going is not good just to regroup and buy some time but when the next set commences, they'll be right back. Good strategy.

pvaudio
09-30-2012, 03:51 PM
I think a GS by far as far as humiliation goes. You've effectively won a set in 15 minutes easy. Now, for the TB, you could get to deuce very frequently or 30-30 frequently. IT's just that the other player has that little something extra. Now, as far as which is more frustrating? The triple bagel by far, because even with my scenario above, it means that no matter how hard you tried, you still couldn't win anything. That's demoralizing.

Hood_Man
09-30-2012, 03:58 PM
I'd take the Golden Set, at least there's a chance of coming back from that.