PDA

View Full Version : Rafa's constant praising of Federer play a role in Fed losing 8 of 10 slam matches?

RAFA2005RG
09-30-2012, 07:53 AM
I've noticed that Rafa and Uncle Toni have praised Federer at every opportunity since about 2006, and called him the greatest ever (long before he reached Sampras' slam record). Has this played a part in Federer's problems with Rafa?

I know Rafa is extremely gifted, but for Federer to lose 5 straight slam matches to Rafa including TWO on hardcourt and one on grass, just seems like there could be more than one factor at play. I don't recall Djokovic or the Djokovic family praising Federer a whole lot. And I haven't noticed Murray doing it, as Murray has called Rafa 'probably the greatest player ever' rather than Federer. Maybe if Djokovic and Murray praised Federer more over the years they too would have had success at the slam level earlier.

Maybe Federer isn't good at handling immense praise from his opponent. It wouldn't make a difference if Federer's opponent was weak (like Benneteau), but the praise would still get into Federer's head and make Federer struggle a bit (he needed 5 sets to beat Benneteau). Maybe Federer's ego is so overflowing with self-love that it can't take the praise when a fellow player strokes his ego further, and overflows and explodes into unforced errors.

tennis_pro
09-30-2012, 07:57 AM
What can I say, a 5 star thread.

Ms Nadal
09-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Rafa likes to praise others too much, especially Roger. Maybe, its a reverse psychology thing against Roger. I wish that Rafa would praise himself more! :(. His fans think he is wonderful but he always says others do things better than he does. I remember he once said that he want's Karlovic's serve and Roger's volleys. Rafa you have good shots of your own and your fans love how you play! He wouldn't be Rafa if he had their shots! :)

RAFA2005RG
09-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Rafa likes to praise others too much, especially Roger. Maybe, its a reverse psychology thing against Roger. I wish that Rafa would praise himself more! :(. His fans think he is wonderful but he always says others do things better than he does. I remember he once said that he want's Karlovic's serve and Roger's volleys. Rafa you have good shots of your own and your fans love how you play! He wouldn't be Rafa if he had their shots! :)

It's all talk in the end. Nobody knows what anybody is thinking inside.

The-Champ
09-30-2012, 08:00 AM

Wouldn't any player out there love to have Ivo's serve :)

beast of mallorca
09-30-2012, 08:05 AM
I've noticed that Rafa and Uncle Toni have praised Federer at every opportunity since about 2006, and called him the greatest ever (long before he reached Sampras' slam record). Has this played a part in Federer's problems with Rafa?

That's what I don't like about Rafa. I wish he can Trash talk Fed sometimes, just so he can rile up the Fedfans some more. :twisted::twisted:

RAFA2005RG
09-30-2012, 08:09 AM
That's what I don't like about Rafa. I wish he can Trash talk Fed sometimes, just so he can rile up the Fedfans some more. :twisted::twisted:

Or it would be good if Rafa took the praise to almost sarcastic levels and say something like "I feel like asking for his autograph at the end of each set". But I guess psychological warfare is a subtle game. Their matches are decided by a couple of points here and there (2008 Wimbledon, and Federer won more points than Rafa in 2009 Australian Open), so its a very calculated thing to make Federer believe you are genuinely in awe of him. Maybe Rafa is careful not to offend Federer. Djokovic offended Federer in 2011 and Federer put on a masterful display in 2011 RG semi.

Or maybe Rafa is just really humble. Uncle Toni's philosophies kind of point to humble attitude.

Ms Nadal
09-30-2012, 08:36 AM

I agree! :). Rafa should have never comforted Fed after that AO 09 final either. Fed would never do such a thing. He was smiling his head off when Murray was crying at Wimby this year. Fed never praises any players ever. Would never say anything nice about Rafa.

dangalak
09-30-2012, 09:14 AM
I feel Nadal and Toni like praising him so much because it helps when Federer is in his untouchable modes. A guy like Djokovic seems so devastated whenever he gets outplayed by Federer for even a set. (RG 11 second set, Wimbledon 12 4th set) It's almost like he quits.

Nadal on the other hand seems to not be bothered by Federer outplaying him. He accepts that Federer can be better than him and keeps him by the balls until Federer's level drops (which is bound to happen in BO5)

Vcore89
09-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Or it would be good if Rafa took the praise to almost sarcastic levels and say something like "I feel like asking for his autograph at the end of each set". But I guess psychological warfare is a subtle game. Their matches are decided by a couple of points here and there (2008 Wimbledon, and Federer won more points than Rafa in 2009 Australian Open), so its a very calculated thing to make Federer believe you are genuinely in awe of him. Maybe Rafa is careful not to offend Federer. Djokovic offended Federer in 2011 and Federer put on a masterful display in 2011 RG semi.

Or maybe Rafa is just really humble. Uncle Toni's philosophies kind of point to humble attitude.

Rafa is truly humble imo. But the praising has its psychological effect on Roger too, evidently. Uncle Toni might be doing the same to Roger. We'll know for sure if Uncle Toni starts praising Djokovic or whomever it may concern.

TheMusicLover
09-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Is this the reoccuring 'Rafa-**** IQ-test'-thread?
It's served its purpose once again. :)

smoledman
09-30-2012, 04:01 PM
I think the real story is 5 of those 8 losses are on clay and 7/8 are on slow hard/clay.

RAFA2005RG
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
I think the real story is 5 of those 8 losses are on clay and 7/8 are on slow hard/clay.

And only 2 of the last 5 were on clay-

2008 Wimbledon
2008 French
2009 Australian
2011 French
2012 Australian (despite Federer winning 26 matches in a row before it)

dangalak
09-30-2012, 05:01 PM

2008 Wimbledon
2008 French
2009 Australian
2011 French

Who gives a crap? Federer was past his peak by 2008 and clearly past his prime after AO 2010. Every victory that Nadal has scored over Federer outside of clay was against a diminished Federer.

Not to mention, his point STILL stands. Only 1 slam victory of Nadal happened on a reasonably fast surface and that was Wimbledon 2008. Oh it also happened to be during Rafa's absolute peak, while Federer lost to people he would never lose to during his prime. (Karlovic, Fish, Roddick, Simon, not to mention the RR exit in the TMC :lol:)

The circumstances favoured Nadal tremenduously, hence why Federer fans object.

RF20Lennon
09-30-2012, 06:34 PM
I agree! :). Rafa should have never comforted Fed after that AO 09 final either. Fed would never do such a thing. He was smiling his head off when Murray was crying at Wimby this year. Fed never praises any players ever. Would never say anything nice about Rafa.

Fed gave Murray a hug after and said sorry man! Plus he also said he was extremely happy that he won the Gold in the olympics. Also Fed has said Rafa is the greatest clay court player of all time and I think after the madrid 2010 final he said Rafa on clay is like playing a guy with two mega forehands. But looks like even you turned out to be a hater.

RF20Lennon
09-30-2012, 06:36 PM

2008 Wimbledon
2008 French
2009 Australian
2011 French

The big wins were indoor!! We all know what wouldve happened in that match had it been indoor quick conditions.

RF20Lennon
09-30-2012, 06:38 PM

He did talk trash remember?? this years Aussie he said Fed didnt do anything and wasnt a good president but Fed remained classy as usual and said its good Rafa had his opinions and Rafa then quickly saw that his image was being dropped and apologized. Federer may not give complete credit to his opponents but he never talks trash

Sentinel
09-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Deeply insightful thread.

RAFA2005RG
09-30-2012, 11:04 PM
He did talk trash remember?? this years Aussie he said Fed didnt do anything and wasnt a good president but Fed remained classy as usual and said its good Rafa had his opinions and Rafa then quickly saw that his image was being dropped and apologized. Federer may not give complete credit to his opponents but he never talks trash

Rafa didn't take back his comments about Federer-
"Probably I am wrong telling that to (the media), especially because these things can stay, must stay in the locker room," Nadal said.

"I always had fantastic relationship with Roger. I still have fantastic relationship with Roger. Just I said we can have different views about how the tour needs to work. That's all."

Rafa only apologized for saying them publicly rather than in the boardroom. And the only reason why Rafa apologized for saying them publicly is because Federer started crying as per usual.
http://climbformemory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Federer_Crying.jpg
and probably cried some more after he read Davydenko's comments-
“I don’t know why Roger is not supporting the players,” Davydenko said. “Because he don’t want... any problems. He’s nice guy. He’s winning grand slams. He’s from Switzerland. He’s perfect. He don’t want to do anything, he just try to be an outsider from this one.”

“The ATP should try to do something between now and Indian Wells [the popular tournament held in California in the second week of March]. For sure, all the top 100 players will go there and just see what will be changed.”

dangalak
09-30-2012, 11:19 PM

Rafa only apologized for saying them publicly rather than in the boardroom. And the only reason why Rafa apologized for saying them publicly is because Federer started crying as per usual.
http://climbformemory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Federer_Crying.jpg

Wow, this is some kindergarden type of BS. :lol:

RAFA2005RG
10-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Wow, this is some kindergarden type of BS. :lol:

That's Federer for ya.

Russeljones
10-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Absolutely. Nadal's mind games have destroyed Federer's confidence...

Vcore89
10-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Just remember, when somebody taps you at the back, he/she wants you to cough something up.:wink:

RF20Lennon
10-01-2012, 09:08 AM

There is a reason Fed is voted president each year! The players like him. Nadal is just merely his side-kick in the council and quit cause obviously he has nowhere the same influence fed has. And plus the media made nadal look like a villain which didn't help either. In then end it's federer with the president position, the #1 ranking, more money, more slams and more fans :D who's crying now?? :lol: federer is his own man unlike rafa who's basically owned by Toni

Mike Sams
10-01-2012, 09:12 AM
There is a reason Fed is voted president each year! The players like him. Nadal is just merely his side-kick in the council and quit cause obviously he has nowhere the same influence fed has. And plus the media made nadal look like a villain which didn't help either. In then end it's federer with the president position, the #1 ranking, more money, more slams and more fans :D who's crying now?? :lol: federer is his own man unlike rafa who's basically owned by Toni

Nadal could never be a part of the council because he's completely self serving. All he cares about are his fragile little knees and his own longevity in the game. Him and his whacky 2 year ranking system and demand for less hardcourts and more clay tournaments. A whining brat. As if it's anybody else's fault that he doesn't have the talent to win matches without killing his body. :lol:
Federer actually tries to look out for the rest of the tour. That's why the 2 year ranking system could never work. But again, Nadal wanted the 2 year ranking system after Djokovic smashed him countless times and tore his ranking away from him. No wonder Nadal was fuming :lol:
Nadal is best off just being silent and playing his whacky pusher moonballing clay style tennis. That's all he's good for. He's got nothing to say worth anything.

Mike Sams
10-01-2012, 09:15 AM

The players like Federer because he looks out for them. If Nadal had his way, there is no future for other tennis players. They would have no chance to rise in the rankings with the silly 2 year system.

Prisoner of Birth
10-01-2012, 09:24 AM

I know Rafa is extremely gifted, but for Federer to lose 5 straight slam matches to Rafa including TWO on hardcourt and one on grass, just seems like there could be more than one factor at play. I don't recall Djokovic or the Djokovic family praising Federer a whole lot. And I haven't noticed Murray doing it, as Murray has called Rafa 'probably the greatest player ever' rather than Federer. Maybe if Djokovic and Murray praised Federer more over the years they too would have had success at the slam level earlier.

Maybe Federer isn't good at handling immense praise from his opponent. It wouldn't make a difference if Federer's opponent was weak (like Benneteau), but the praise would still get into Federer's head and make Federer struggle a bit (he needed 5 sets to beat Benneteau). Maybe Federer's ego is so overflowing with self-love that it can't take the praise when a fellow player strokes his ego further, and overflows and explodes into unforced errors.

I'd laugh if I didn't know you were being serious.

RF20Lennon
10-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Nadal could never be a part of the council because he's completely self serving. All he cares about are his fragile little knees and his own longevity in the game. Him and his whacky 2 year ranking system and demand for less hardcourts and more clay tournaments. A whining brat. As if it's anybody else's fault that he doesn't have the talent to win matches without killing his body. :lol:
Federer actually tries to look out for the rest of the tour. That's why the 2 year ranking system could never work. But again, Nadal wanted the 2 year ranking system after Djokovic smashed him countless times and tore his ranking away from him. No wonder Nadal was fuming :lol:
Nadal is best off just being silent and playing his whacky pusher moonballing clay style tennis. That's all he's good for. He's got nothing to say worth anything.

Yup!!! It's hard for lower ranked players to improve their ranking

RAFA2005RG
10-01-2012, 09:53 AM

LOL each year? The last election for ATP council president was June 2010....

Sentinel
10-01-2012, 10:09 AM
I'd laugh if I didn't know you were being serious.

OP is trying to diminish Rafa's stellar achievements by suggesting it had to do with some mind games or off-court psychology.

Haters ! :twisted: