PDA

View Full Version : 2013: Most Unpredictable Slam

World Beater
09-30-2012, 08:48 PM
I would say Wimbledon.

AO: Djoker / murray are the favs..outside chance to nadal and slim chance to federer.

RG: Nadal with djokovic having a decent shot. Depends a lot on the clay court Masters and how they go...

Wimbledon: ????

Federer is the defending champ..but i think murray, djoker and nadal all have great chances...i also think that this slam has the greatest chance for upsets with berdych and tsonga lurking...with del potro being a sleeper.

Usopen : Djoker / Murray. Federer with outside shot.

It would be fun to see what people think prior to the start of the 2013 season, and then bump this thread next year...

papertank
09-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Honestly I think the 2013 Australian Open will the most unpredictable slam in years, because for the first time in while there is 4 different slam winners. If Nadal can recover in time then I'd say they all have a relatively equal shot.

Murray obviously has just come off his first slam win and will probably be at his most confident.

Federer, after having a great year and regaining No1, is taking Asia off to get fresh. He'll definitely be in good form.

Djokovic has had a great year as well and will probably end the year #1, and the AO is also his best slam.

If Nadal is healthy, I'd say he has just as good of a chance as anyone. The wimbledon loss paints a bad picture of Nadal's season, but in reality up until he got injured he was having a great year. Let's not forget that he has only played 4 matches since his absolute domination of the FO. I wouldn't underestimate him.

TennisA
09-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm going to go with the Australian Open. It's the start of the season, and everyone has just ended their vacations/training. Almost everyone is going to get a fresh start. Really hoping to see some upsets next year :)
It's also the tournament with the least amount of multiple slams per champion compared to the rest of the Slams

Vcore89
09-30-2012, 10:07 PM
AO definitely.

Jackuar
09-30-2012, 10:26 PM
If its true that Nadal is injured (And not in a silent ban), then I can't see him being an automatic lock and 2013 RG is up for grabs not just for Nadal, the top 4 but for anyone. Basically its clay; so apart from Top 4, even the next 4 who can do the grinding job can have dreams of causing an upset.

Its not impossible for me to imagine someone other than Nadal/ Djokovic beating Fed on clay - if all goes well, even Ferrer or a comeback-Soderling can do it.

Murray - his least favourite surface - an upset is very much possible.

Djokovic - probably the one with better odds but if Fed manages to beat him in SF and who knows? Soderling or someone else reaching another final to take Fed down - very difficult but a pretty good chance of doing it.

Much of it depends on Nadal's game after his comeback. The other 3 slams is pretty much with the top 4 only.

dangalak
09-30-2012, 11:55 PM
I would say Wimbledon.

AO: Djoker / murray are the favs..outside chance to nadal and slim chance to federer.

:lol:

Murray with higher chances than Federer in USO.

Seriously dude, stop. :(

RAFA2005RG
10-01-2012, 12:12 AM
I agree Wimbledon is the most unpredictable.

zam88
10-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Wimbledon... because you can make a great argument for any of the top 4 assuming they are near 100%

At the AO I think it would be a stretch to see Federer win... at the FO I think it would be a pretty big stretch to convince me that Murray or Federer could win that (unless Rafa hasn't recovered, or retires - which would be awesome).

At the USO I suppose it's fairly unpredictable, but again you're going to have a tough time convincing me Federer can do it.

And by the way i'm a huge Roger fan

NadalAgassi
10-01-2012, 06:32 AM
:lol:

Murray with higher chances than Federer in USO.

Seriously dude, stop. :(

LOL Murray won it this year and Federer will be 32 by that time next year. Why wouldnt Muray have higher odds. Anyway the poster you were replying to was referring to the Australian, not the U.S Open.

MichaelNadal
10-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Wimbledon... because you can make a great argument for any of the top 4 assuming they are near 100%

At the AO I think it would be a stretch to see Federer win... at the FO I think it would be a pretty big stretch to convince me that Murray or Federer could win that (unless Rafa hasn't recovered, or retires - which would be awesome).

At the USO I suppose it's fairly unpredictable, but again you're going to have a tough time convincing me Federer can do it.

And by the way i'm a huge Roger fan

Some people on here simply aren't tennis fans or have no idea how much Federer AND Nadal bring to the game.

NadalAgassi
10-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Wimbledon by FAR is the most unpredictable.

Djokovic- not great grass courter, doubts of him winning it again.

Murray- the British home court pressure, has not broken through or ever beaten Federer or Nadal on grass yet.

Nadal- had best recent record of anyone by far until this years debacle. Will he be back in form then, and if he is and makes the final his record in Wimbledon finals is a dissapointing 2-3 thus far.

Federer- obviously not easy to win any slam at this stage of his career. His Wimbledon title in 2012 was his first quarterfinal since his last win there in 2009.

The others:

Australian- Djokovic the clear favorite, Murray with a good shot. Nadal might not even play, Federer hardly any chance at slow court slam at this stage of his career.

French- Nadal or Djokovic, no other contenders really.

U.S Open- Pretty wide open but will be easy to pinpoint favorite by who is having best year and best summer.

Carsomyr
10-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Wimbledon - all of the top four have potential to win there, and all of them have the potential for early upsets.

RF20Lennon
10-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Wimby is most unpredictable

Hood_Man
10-01-2012, 07:11 AM
I think all 4 are pretty unpredictable, apart from being able to confidently guess that they'll be shared within the top 4.

Murray or Djokovic could win the AO, but then so could Nadal or Fed who have both won it and reached the final in the last 4 years.

At the French Open, I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if Murray made the final. He's good on clay, he's reached a semi final and two quarter finals in his career, and with a favourable draw I think he's now ready to upset somebody in the semis.
It's probably the most predictable of the 4, but only in the sense that Nadal will always be the huge favourite. I'm sure even Clarky thinks he has a slight chance in winning it again ;)

Again at Wimbledon all 4 have been incredibly consistent the last 4 years. They've all reached a Wimbledon final, 3 of them have won it (I can see Murray joining them one day...), it's unlikely that Nadal will have another Rosol moment so if he's healthy he can at least make the semis, and apart from the injury in '10, Federer had to suffer one of the upsets of the decade so far to be stopped from reaching the semis.

And then there's the US Open which they've all won :)

westside
10-01-2012, 07:15 AM
AO I reckon. As mentioned, top 4 all one a slam this year. We don't know if Nadal is going to play or how far he'll make it if he does so possible dark horse run similar to that of 06, 07 and 08.

zam88
10-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Some people on here simply aren't tennis fans or have no idea how much Federer AND Nadal bring to the game.

i'll be the first to admit i'm just an average tennis fan, I'm a RF fan, and when he goes I go unless a great american steps up

Mainad
10-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Murray- the British home court pressure, has not broken through or ever beaten Federer or Nadal on grass yet.

Maybe you forgot the Olympic final. He has yet to do it in a Slam of course.

Dark Magician
10-01-2012, 08:00 AM
All are unpredictable except may be RG - thats for Rafa if he plays or Djokovic if Rafa doesnt play.
In AO - Most probably Novak would be seed1 and Murray 3, and might go into each other at semi and the person from other draw may win AO if he turns out to be Fed or a fit Rafa.
US is too early to tell and Wimby is just like everybody said!

NadalAgassi
10-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Maybe you forgot the Olympic final. He has yet to do it in a Slam of course.

Sorry you are right, my bad. I had forgotten the Olympic final for some reason (maybe since it was such a dull and unremarkable match and there was so much going on at the Games I was following and keeping up on).

NadalAgassi
10-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Surprised the Australian has more votes than the U.S Open. While it is possible I suppose Nadal or Federer wins it, it is also highly unlikely. If Federer even wins another slam or two it would almost certainly have to be on fast courts at this point. Nadal might not even play, but even if he does what are the odds he is going to win in his first or one of his first events back after so long. None of the second tier are going to win there, if they win a slam anywhere, it wont be there, none of them really excel there except maybe Tsonga. It almost has to be Djokovic or Murray, with Djokovic the clear favorite right now.

Meanwhile any of the top 4 atleast can win the U.S Open and outside chance of a second tier winning there too.

kishnabe
10-01-2012, 08:52 AM
US Open....5 diff winners if 5 years. Wimbledon....only the top 4 plus Tsonga.

At the US Open....the other guys have more of a chance.

AO....used to be Unpredictable....with players who have unexpected runs ( Baghdatis, Gonzalez, Tsonga, Verdasco, Cilic, Ferrer and Nishikori)

zam88
10-01-2012, 09:17 AM
oddsmakers currently have for the AO:

Djokavic less than 2/1

Murray 2.5-3 to 1

Federer and nadal 4-5 to 1

Delpo is next at 12-25 to 1 depending on the site.

I think it's somewhat insulting that Federer doesn't have better odds than Nadal.... He's going to be a #2 at worst, and I'm guessing that IF Nadal even plays it that it is his 2nd or 3rd tourney back? I don't see him playing the WTF.

I agree with Federer at 5-1.. but i wouldn't put money on Nadal with less than 8-1 odds.

I agree that Djoker and Murray should be co-favorites and barring injury I suspect that is who will win. However, Federer should be the #2 seed at worst for it.. and if Djoker and Murray draw the same half.... well... it's at least POSSIBLE for PWNerer

Prisoner of Birth
10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
oddsmakers currently have for the AO:

Djokavic less than 2/1

Murray 2.5-3 to 1

Federer and nadal 4-5 to 1

Delpo is next at 12-25 to 1 depending on the site.

I think it's somewhat insulting that Federer doesn't have better odds than Nadal.... He's going to be a #2 at worst, and I'm guessing that IF Nadal even plays it that it is his 2nd or 3rd tourney back? I don't see him playing the WTF.

I agree with Federer at 5-1.. but i wouldn't put money on Nadal with less than 8-1 odds.

I agree that Djoker and Murray should be co-favorites and barring injury I suspect that is who will win. However, Federer should be the #2 seed at worst for it.. and if Djoker and Murray draw the same half.... well... it's at least POSSIBLE for PWNerer

Wouldn't that put Nadal in Federer's half?

smoledman
10-01-2012, 09:42 AM
2013 - The Year of X

kaku
10-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Wimbledon, because form going into the tournament doesn't usually reflect the performance of the top 4 in the end. Remember, before Wimbledon this year Murray hadn't won a match on grass, not even 2 exhibition matches. Any of the top 4 are capable of winning Wimbledon.

underground
10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
It would be Roland Garros, Nadal ain't winning it in 2013/retired already. The trophy is up for grabs.