PDA

View Full Version : Would it be awesome or would it suck to be Jamie Murray?

Rhino
10-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Jamie grew up as an incredibly promising young tennis player (making #2 in the world as a junior). He would have had big expectations, and dreams of being a tennis star and emulating his idols.
Instead his singles career nose-dived and he ended up only being able to compete as a doubles player.
Meanwhile his younger brother comes along and lives out all of Jamie's dreams, becoming a tennis superstar-millionaire-Grand Slam champion, with two Olympic Gold medals and (most importantly) a winning record over Roger Federer.

Jamie even had a (golden) chance to get his own Olympic Medal with his brother but came home empty handed and had to watch Laura Robson clinch Gold with his brother instead!

Why it would be awesome: Well he is surely happy for his bro, and a career high #23 in doubles isn't too bad. Also, Andy might just let him have his match-worn Adidas Barricades (if he asks nicely) which would fetch a mint on the 'Bay.

Why it would suck: Because Andy got all the attention/trophies/girls/cash/sponsors/fame/etc, and he got... hardly enough winnings to even stay on the tour, and the only autographs he ever signs are when people mistake him for his brother.

Perhaps it's made him a better person. I appreciate that a lot of that stuff is superficial. ...but he surely must have thought "why not me" at times. What do you think?

Babolatbarry
10-01-2012, 02:42 AM
poll! It'd be cooler

Russeljones
10-01-2012, 02:43 AM
"Jamie grew up as an incredibly promising young tennis player" stopped reading there. Might as well kick off with something resembling the truth next time.

Rhino
10-01-2012, 02:48 AM
"Jamie grew up as an incredibly promising young tennis player" stopped reading there. Might as well kick off with something resembling the truth next time.

...At the age of 11, Jamie finished runner up in the boys under 12 category at the prestigious Junior Orange Bowl. Murray was the junior world #2 when he was about 13 years old...

How is that not promising? What would be a decent junior ranking in your esteemed world?

Babolatbarry
10-01-2012, 02:55 AM
He requires numero uno.

Russeljones
10-01-2012, 02:58 AM
...At the age of 11, Jamie finished runner up in the boys under 12 category at the prestigious Junior Orange Bowl. Murray was the junior world #2 when he was about 13 years old...

How is that not promising? What would be a decent junior ranking in your esteemed world?

In my esteemed world I would be reading and hearing about him. Maybe in his village newspaper he was a big deal but I never heard of him before his brother surfaced.

The Bawss
10-01-2012, 03:05 AM
It sucks hard to be him. I remember them both saying they used to be (probably still are outside of tennis) incredibly competitive.

Fedex
10-01-2012, 03:18 AM
If Jamie had a work ethic, it could have been like the male version of the William's sisters.

Hood_Man
10-01-2012, 03:18 AM
Winning Wimbledon a few years probably made it a lot easier for him, but it's always a massive blow to the ego when you're overtaken by a younger sibling.

Gaz77
10-01-2012, 03:22 AM
Harsh dude but then i think your right the it must Suck for Jamie. I know i'd be pi$$ed if my brother was a superstar and was earning a fortune.

I watch quite abit of tennis on TV and I cant say ive ever seen Jamie in Andy's 'camp' cheering him on. I guess you could argue that Jamie is probably playing doubles somewhere else on the globe but surely all their matches dont clash time-wise !!

Andy (pre US Open) was supposed to be earning around $10 million a year and after his gland slam win it wouldnt surprise me that figure hasnt doubled. Andy has a $7 million home in Surrey, England and a Ferrari that he probably never gets to drive.

Not sure what Jamie has.

At World No 23 in Doubles Jamie's probably making enough money just to say on tour so i'm sure there's some jealousy towards his brother.

But at the end of the day Jamie's a professional tennis player something the vast majority of people on this forum with never experience, i'm sure he probably lives comfortably but most of all he plays tennis for a living whilst us mere mortals have to actually go to work.

It would be nice to think that Andy spalshes the cash and helps out his Bro but knowing that the Scots are as tight as a Camels ar$ehole in a sandstorm i doubt that will happen, other than the odd hand-me-down.

Also Murray doesnt have 2 Golds, he won Gold in the singles and Silver in the doubles with Laura Robson........ and im not sure how people would confuse Andy and Jamie, they look totally different. I've met both personally and had a picture taken with both and there actually really nice guys.

Andy has really soft hair too LMFAO, when i had my picture taken with him he had his 'white-mans-afro' going on and it was in my face, tickled a little bit too !!!

decrepitude
10-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Harsh dude but then i think your right the it must Suck for Jamie. I know i'd be pi$$ed if my brother was a superstar and was earning a fortune.

I watch quite abit of tennis on TV and I cant say ive ever seen Jamie in Andy's 'camp' cheering him on. I guess you could argue that Jamie is probably playing doubles somewhere else on the globe but surely all their matches dont clash time-wise !!

Andy (pre US Open) was supposed to be earning around $10 million a year and after his gland slam win it wouldnt surprise me that figure hasnt doubled. Andy has a $7 million home in Surrey, England and a Ferrari that he probably never gets to drive.

Not sure what Jamie has.

At World No 23 in Doubles Jamie's probably making enough money just to say on tour so i'm sure there's some jealousy towards his brother.

But at the end of the day Jamie's a professional tennis player something the vast majority of people on this forum with never experience, i'm sure he probably lives comfortably but most of all he plays tennis for a living whilst us mere mortals have to actually go to work.

It would be nice to think that Andy spalshes the cash and helps out his Bro but knowing that the Scots are as tight as a Camels ar$ehole in a sandstorm i doubt that will happen, other than the odd hand-me-down.

Also Murray doesnt have 2 Golds, he won Gold in the singles and Silver in the doubles with Laura Robson........ and im not sure how people would confuse Andy and Jamie, they look totally different. I've met both personally and had a picture taken with both and there actually really nice guys.

Andy has really soft hair too LMFAO, when i had my picture taken with him he had his 'white-mans-afro' going on and it was in my face, tickled a little bit too !!!

1. I have seen Jamie in Andy's box (rare, but has happened)

2. Andy doesn't have a Ferrari. He did buy one a while back but thought it was too flashy for him and got rid of it.

3. I don't know if Jamie is jealous or not, but he certainly uses Andy to play doubles with him to keep his doubles ranking up - he can't find a steady partner himself.

syc23
10-01-2012, 03:46 AM
You always wonder if there's a bit of resentment as you never see Jamie at Andy's matches - I'm sure he would support his younger brother 100% and vice versa.

I do notice Djorde Djokovic doesn't make an appearance in Novak's matches, haven't see Djorde since Rome '11 against Murray in Nole's support box.

batz
10-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Jamie was a Grand Slam champion long before Andy was.

I also heard that he was given a 1M house by his brother as a wedding present.

I'm sure it doesn't suck too much being Jamie.

The Meat
10-01-2012, 04:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGYUvv-eGyY

Supposedly Jamie Murray was better than Andy when they were younger. His brother is a lefty and from what I've seen from his mixed doubles and doubles matches, he had a pretty solid game. Don't know why he didn't do better in his singles career.

SStrikerR
10-01-2012, 04:27 AM

Success at a young age means almost nothing in regards to the pros.

Gaz77
10-01-2012, 05:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGYUvv-eGyY

Supposedly Jamie Murray was better than Andy when they were younger. His brother is a lefty and from what I've seen from his mixed doubles and doubles matches, he had a pretty solid game. Don't know why he didn't do better in his singles career.

See vid above, all i can say is "WHERE THE FU@K DID THAT GINGER HAIR GO" Murrays got dark brown hair now LOL ???

LOL, funny Judy says Andy's talentless, she was a pro (apparently) and dont believe she won anything worth talking about.

Mainad
10-01-2012, 05:54 AM
im not sure how people would confuse Andy and Jamie, they look totally different.

Jamie strongly resembles mum, Judy. Andy probably takes after their dad more.

Bobby Jr
10-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Jamie even had a (golden) chance to get his own Olympic Medal with his brother but came home empty handed and had to watch Laura Robson clinch Gold with his brother instead!
Silver....

Mainad
10-01-2012, 06:07 AM
1. I have seen Jamie in Andy's box (rare, but has happened)

I read somewhere that there's a family joke that Jamie jinxes Andy whenever he watches him play so he tries to stay away for really important matches. However, I remember seeing him in the crowd when Andy won his first Masters title at Cincinnati in 2008 so not sure how much truth there is to any of that.

I don't know if Jamie is jealous or not, but he certainly uses Andy to play doubles with him to keep his doubles ranking up - he can't find a steady partner himself.

He's won two doubles titles with Andy: 2010 Valencia and 2011 Tokyo. Valencia was Andy's wedding present to Jamie as he'd just got married with Andy as best man. Andy joked that the reason he lost in the singles there (he was defending champion) was because he was still hungover from Jamie's wedding bash but evidently he recovered enough to help him win the doubles title! There seems to be a great deal of humorous affection between them, nothing negative that I've read about.

They are currently playing doubles in Tokyo, hoping to defend their title there.

Zarfot Z
10-01-2012, 06:13 AM
It would suck being constantly overshadowed by your brother.

Cesc Fabregas
10-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Jamie was a Grand Slam champion long before Andy was.

I also heard that he was given a 1M house by his brother as a wedding present.

I'm sure it doesn't suck too much being Jamie.

Isn't he married to some Columbian woman as well? I'd say life for him is pretty good.

nereis
10-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Saying that being Jamie Murray sucks is like saying that it sucks to be Charlie Murphy.

Besides, Jamie is a grand slam champion in his own right. That the current incarnation of the sport pays less respect and attention to its doubles champions than its singles champions is no fault of his.

zam88
10-01-2012, 07:25 AM
if one of my siblings were filthy rich i'm guessing somehow i get some residuals.. so i would say unequivocally it doesn't suck.

one hell of a first world problem if your "rich" life is miserable because you weren't as good at hitting a fuzzy yellow ball than your bro.

mmk
10-01-2012, 11:15 AM
It wouldn't be as bad as being Ozzie Canseco

kishnabe
10-01-2012, 12:33 PM
At least a Mixed Wimbledon champion is great achievement. I think he sorta relieved the brits of a major win since the Wade Wimbledon Win.

Marray has done it at Wimbledon dubs. Now Murray has to follow suit next year.

bluetrain4
10-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Success at a young age means almost nothing in regards to the pros.

That's sort become the fashionable thing to say as if it's fact, because, obviously, there are LOTS of highly ranked juniors who do do not succeed at a high level as pros. But, on the flip side, many top pros, were indeed successful juniors as well.

Rhino
10-01-2012, 01:45 PM
That's sort become the fashionable thing to say as if it's fact, because, obviously, there are LOTS of highly ranked juniors who do do not succeed at a high level as pros. But, on the flip side, many top pros, were indeed successful juniors as well.

That's true. A quote from Jamie: "Rafael Nadal, Richard Gasquet and me were the top three juniors in Europe at under-12 level."
Looks like the two did pretty well as pros!

ledwix
10-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I would love to be as good at tennis as Jamie Murray. Anyone here better than him??? Don't think so.

ruerooo
10-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Why does it have to be the extremes of heights or depths?

Maybe he's just ... pleased with his life.

wilkinru
10-01-2012, 02:19 PM
When it's all over, he will be happy.

In your teens/20s, it might be frustrating. All depends.

heftylefty
10-01-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't think it sucks to be Jamie Murray. I had similar situation in my family with a younger brother. Not on a the same scale as the Murray Boy as my brother and I both played basketball, but my brother was a far better basketball player than me. I'm 6'2", he's 6'7". He played in college, and I took up tennis. Although I loved basketball and would work my *** off, I was not as gifted as my brother. I never begrudged my brother. I was extremely proud of him and only want him to go as his talent would take him.
Interestingly, my brother stop playing basketball partly because he got tired of hearing "If you work as hard and wanted as badly as your big brother..."

Bottom line, Jamie Murray has a dream gig...and he's earned it. At the end of the day I'm sure he's happy for his brother.

Sid_Vicious
10-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Jamie has at least done something on tour. He won the doubles tournament at Wimbledon.

How do you think this guy feels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marko_Djokovic) living in the shadows of his elder brother?

Crisstti
10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
They seem close (he plays doubles with Andy, and I remember him, for example, publishing some angry comment against Novak for retiring in the Cinci final last year, doesn't sound , so if he resents him in some level it cannot be that bad. Also, it must

I've met both personally and had a picture taken with both and there actually really nice guys.

Cool :)

Jamie strongly resembles mum, Judy. Andy probably takes after their dad more.

I think Andy looks a lot like Judy as well.

*Sparkle*
10-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I was thinking about this very thing after listening to a feature about Andy's US Open win where they interviewed Jamie. Jamie seemed genuinely pleased for Andy's success, but the person doing the interview (I forget who it was) kept asking if he'd been tempted to abandon his own tournament to watch the final, which I thought was incredibly disrespectful.

But apart from having to deal with a few idiot journalists, I think he'll be very happy for his brother's success. Of course it would have stung when he realised that his younger brother was going to be the better player. Loads of promising youngsters don't become top seniors, and it will be a disappointment for all of them. Having a very successful brother will make it a bit worse as you are constantly reminded of it, but there are plenty of perks too.

Jamie has had a very respectable career in his own right, with some genuine highlights (Wimbledon mixed in particular) that would make any family incredibly proud. Then the decision to focus on doubles was probably very good for his sanity too. Andy has been open about how competing with Jamie kick started his career, so that will help him to enjoy the glory, not resent it.

Jamie probably does get a few extra perks, and is treated more respectfully on tour than some of his peers who aren't as well connected. Probably more important than that, they seem like a very close family and value the opportunity to spend time together when they are playing doubles, or simply in the same location. On the other hand, this week in Tokyo he can't fail to notice that despite being one half of last year's winning doubles team, he is getting very little attention. I actually think this may suit him, and he's probably very glad he doesn't have to suffer the same kind of press scrutiny as Andy.

It probably also helps that Andy isn't particularly flash with his cash on a personal level, but does appear to be generous with those around him and sees them as contributing to his success.

And for all that Jamie might sometimes get fed-up with people asking about his more successful brother, it's not as if Andy has escaped being asked questions about when he's going to win a slam, or Wimbledon. I'm sure Andy is fed up with people asking why he can't be as personable as Jamie!

dominikk1985
10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
I better delete that or I get banned:D