PDA

View Full Version : Nadal return announced.

Paul Murphy
10-02-2012, 04:05 AM
Rafael Nadal is set to make his long-awaited return to tennis at an Abu Dhabi exhibition tournament in December.
Organisers of the Mubadala World Tennis Championship said on Tuesday in a statement that Nadal is set to join a field including Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and David Ferrer.
The tournament runs from Dec. 27-29.
Nadal hasn't played since losing in the second round of Wimbledon in June. He is recovering from a partially torn patella tendon in his left knee.
Nadal said last month he had no timetable for his return and the 11-time Grand Slam champion hopes to play in the Australian Open in January.

AAP.

I wonder is he really coming back then or are the oganisers engaging in some wishful thinking?
We shall see.

Gorecki
10-02-2012, 04:20 AM
Go Nads...

such a fighter... what a hero!!!

vive le beau jeu !
10-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Go Nads...

such a fighter... what a hero!!!
does it guarantee the nadal won't play until the end of the season ? :)

Alchemy-Z
10-02-2012, 04:42 AM
Glad to hear!

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-02-2012, 05:45 AM
I hope he isn't risking his knees just for the sake of money. If his knees are good to go, fine, but if they aren't then he should start thinking long term.

cc0509
10-02-2012, 05:46 AM
I hope he isn't risking his knees just for the sake of money. If his knees are good to go, fine, but if they aren't then he should start thinking long term.

LOL! :lol:

CMM
10-02-2012, 05:49 AM

He plays there almost every year and it's not just for the money. If he plays at the AO then he obviously needs match practice. I'm not even sure Abu Dhabi and Doha would be enough.

Hankenstein
10-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Nadal said he will play more clay and not as much on hardcourt in the future because of knee problems. He also complains high and loud the pros "are forced" to play to much.

Then he sets his return in an EXHIBITION EVENT! On hard,,,,

Money rules Rafa, Money rules...

CMM
10-02-2012, 05:57 AM
Nadal said he will play more clay and not as much on hardcourt in the future because of knee problems. He also complains high and loud the pros "are forced" to play to much.

He said he'd like to play more on clay but also that he doesn't have too many options. 2 of the 4 Grand Slams are played on hard court. Do you expect him to show up at the AO without having played any matches on that surface? That wouldn't be such a smart idea.

The Bawss
10-02-2012, 06:13 AM
He said he'd like to play more on clay but also that he doesn't have too many options. 2 of the 4 Grand Slams are played on hard court. Do you expect him to show up at the AO without having played any matches on that surface? That wouldn't be such a smart idea.

Why not return at Doha or Brisbane then?

RAFA2005RG
10-02-2012, 06:31 AM
does it guarantee the nadal won't play until the end of the season ? :)

Won't know until the Davis Cup captain decides.

RAFA2005RG
10-02-2012, 06:32 AM

The biggest risk Rafa could take is playing the AO without match practice.

above bored
10-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Rafael Nadal is set to make his long-awaited return to tennis at an Abu Dhabi exhibition tournament in December.
Organisers of the Mubadala World Tennis Championship said on Tuesday in a statement that Nadal is set to join a field including Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and David Ferrer.
The tournament runs from Dec. 27-29.
Nadal hasn't played since losing in the second round of Wimbledon in June. He is recovering from a partially torn patella tendon in his left knee.
Nadal said last month he had no timetable for his return and the 11-time Grand Slam champion hopes to play in the Australian Open in January.

AAP.

I wonder is he really coming back then or are the oganisers engaging in some wishful thinking?
We shall see.
I expect Nadal will return to play sometime this year. Your quote is only confirmation from the exo that he intends to play their event in January, not that this is necessarily going to be his first tournament back.

zam88
10-02-2012, 08:18 AM

i agree this seems strange.

If Rafa were REALLY serious about keeping his tennis career going as long as possible, he'd play the entire clay season, Wimbledon, one of the masters before the USO, the USO.. and then skip the entire fall season and skip the AO and the hard court spring.

pay the fines.. whatever... 10-12 tournaments a year tops... ranking be damned.

I think if he did that he could win 3-4 more French Opens, one Wimbledon, and stay in the top 5-6

kishnabe
10-02-2012, 08:20 AM
That good to hear....that Aussie isn't his first even back....he needs the match tough prep than the hard court prep.

Mike Sams
10-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Nadal is doing what he has to do. I'm not going to say anything negative on the matter as I already firmly believe the ATP is stealing money from the players as it is so Nadal and others should play these big exhibitions when given the opportunity. The money won't be so big once they've retired anyway.

sureshs
10-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Hello tennis Fans, please have the pleasure of me today.

I am announcing that my return is coming. After resigning from tennis for few months due to giving Roger a chance at brass medal and Murray for the New York Slam, I am backing into play at the place somewhere in the Middle Eastern state in the championship name starting with M I think. After performing in the matches, I will talk to Toni uncle about whether to win Australian Open or to be injured and giving chances to the other players like Del Potros.

Please be seeing me in the middle Eastern states in december.

-- Dear Rafa

Russeljones
10-02-2012, 08:53 AM
I hope he is really making his return. Cheers to all Nadal fans.

tudwell
10-02-2012, 08:54 AM
It'll be interesting to see if this return date is changed as we get closer to the event.

*Sparkle*
10-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Why not return at Doha or Brisbane then?
If it was an exhibition just after this year's season, the cynics would have a point, but this one is on the lead in to next year's tournaments, so a bit of practice against some big players is no bad thing. It's a short tournament, and no-one is going to be bothered if he takes it easy.

RAFA2005RG
10-02-2012, 11:07 AM
I think Rafa has traditionally played Abu Dhabi and Doha. Never Brisbane.

RF20Lennon
10-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I think Rafa has traditionally played Abu Dhabi and Doha. Never Brisbane.

Yeah he played chennai once in 2008 but never Brisbane

Crisstti
10-02-2012, 01:36 PM

If Rafa were REALLY serious about keeping his tennis career going as long as possible, he'd play the entire clay season, Wimbledon, one of the masters before the USO, the USO.. and then skip the entire fall season and skip the AO and the hard court spring.

I think if he did that he could win 3-4 more French Opens, one Wimbledon, and stay in the top 5-6

He could also play the AO and skip IW and Miami. I guess it will depend on what state he comes back in. But he needs to ease his season before RG and Wimbledon. Being fine then needs to be his priority I think.

Mike Sams
10-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Hello tennis Fans, please have the pleasure of me today.

I am announcing that my return is coming. After resigning from tennis for few months due to giving Roger a chance at brass medal and Murray for the New York Slam, I am backing into play at the place somewhere in the Middle Eastern state in the championship name starting with M I think. After performing in the matches, I will talk to Toni uncle about whether to win Australian Open or to be injured and giving chances to the other players like Del Potros.

Please be seeing me in the middle Eastern states in december.

-- Dear Rafa

Uhm...you do realize that Nadal wasn't the defending champion in New York or Wimbledon right? Djokovic was after he smashed Rafa in both. :lol: Djokovic would've taken Rafa out on any non-clay surface.

zagor
10-02-2012, 01:55 PM

It's not an exo in the middle of the season or something, players have used Abu Dhabi as a warm up tourney for AO for years.

fps
10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Ouch that sounds horrendous. So glad he's coming back, hope he's healthy.

Clarky21
10-02-2012, 01:58 PM

Yep. Like I said already,Nadal could be lying on his death bed,but if there is a needless exo event worth $$$$ to be played,he would do it. Lol. It's frustrating for his fans and hypocritical of him to constantly b*tch and moan about hardcourts,yet he never misses a chance to play multiple exo$ on them. I'm not sure what this guy is thinking half the time.

Matt H.
10-02-2012, 02:54 PM
interesting.

he returns 6 months, to the day, of when he last played a match.

more fuel for the silent ban camp.

The Bawss
10-02-2012, 02:59 PM
interesting.

I think that, as exhos aren't sanctioned by the ATP, such a ban would not include exhibition matches. I still like the silent ban theory though.

jrs
10-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Is Nadal practising now? or is he not playing tennis at all?

The Dark Knight
10-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Is Nadal practising now? or is he not playing tennis at all?

From what I heard he is not playing at all.

Mike Sams
10-02-2012, 03:26 PM
If Nadal was caught for taking drugs, why is he not stripped of all of his titles by the ATP? Why only a silent ban? And why did he suddenly decide not to play the Olympics at the exact time when news came out that Olympics officials had introduces a new and far more rigorous drug detection system?

Mike Sams
10-02-2012, 03:29 PM
I wonder if Nadal being a cheater will come out many years later when he's long retired. Basically winning all his titles because he was doping. A lot of people were wondering why Nadal always had more energy left in the tank than other players so the doping issue is a plausible one. It's not like his workout routine was any more rigorous than any other player's. He basically did the bare minimum in training and ate a rather poor diet of chocolate chip cookies and other junk. So why did he have more stamina than other well conditioned players?

Crisstti
10-02-2012, 04:47 PM
I think that, as exhos aren't sanctioned by the ATP, such a ban would not include exhibition matches. I still like the silent ban theory though.

Of course you do :roll:

If Nadal was caught for taking drugs, why is he not stripped of all of his titles by the ATP? Why only a silent ban? And why did he suddenly decide not to play the Olympics at the exact time when news came out that Olympics officials had introduces a new and far more rigorous drug detection system?

Because he was NOT caught taking drugs.

forzamilan90
10-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Ok good, at least we have a timeline now of when he'll show up

SoBad
10-02-2012, 06:11 PM
This is wonderful news. Now we can all look forward to the return of Great Nadal.

Mike Sams
10-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Of course you do :roll:

Because he was NOT caught taking drugs.

So then what is this talk of a silent ban? And why is it basically 6 months to the day?

Rocky89
10-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Yep. Like I said already,Nadal could be lying on his death bed,but if there is a needless exo event worth $$$$ to be played,he would do it. Lol. It's frustrating for his fans and hypocritical of him to constantly b*tch and moan about hardcourts,yet he never misses a chance to play multiple exo$ on them. I'm not sure what this guy is thinking half the time.

How do you expect him to get ready for the AO without match practice? Nadal is a player that relies heavily on match play to improve. Most players use Abu Dhabi and Doha to prepare. Also an exhibition will be a better way to ease back into competition.

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm happy we have a planned return date, but Nadal hasn't even started practicing yet so not sure how this timeline will play out.

Rjtennis
10-02-2012, 07:11 PM
He is signed up to play according to the tourney, doesn't mean he will play for sure. We will have to wait and see when he returns.

Tony48
10-02-2012, 07:20 PM
An exho on hard? Seriously?

RAFA2005RG
10-02-2012, 07:21 PM
^ You think Rafa should prepare for the AO by playing on clay? Seriously?

Tony48
10-02-2012, 07:27 PM
^ You think Rafa should prepare for the AO by playing on clay? Seriously?

Is he playing Doha?

Crisstti
10-02-2012, 07:37 PM
So then what is this talk of a silent ban? And why is it basically 6 months to the day?

This talk is resentful Federer fans not being able to accept reality, or just spreading bs.

And we don't know how long it will take. And any kind of ATP ban wouldn't affect an exo, so it's irrelevant.

Clarky21
10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
How do you expect him to get ready for the AO without match practice? Nadal is a player that relies heavily on match play to improve. Most players use Abu Dhabi and Doha to prepare. Also an exhibition will be a better way to ease back into competition.

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm happy we have a planned return date, but Nadal hasn't even started practicing yet so not sure how this timeline will play out.

Didn't he just say that he intends to play less on hardcourts to prolong his career? Doesn't he constantly complain about there being too many hardcourts on tour? Doesn't he mostly blame his injury woes on being forced to play too much on hardcourts?

It makes no sense for him to be playing exo$ anywhere,much less on hardcourts. It's annoying and hypocritical to complain as much as he does about hardcourts but then turn right around and play multiple exo$ on the very surface he constantly demonizes,and blames for all of his troubles. You don't see how ridiculous this is for him?

RAFA2005RG
10-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Is he playing Doha?

He plays Abu Dhabi and Doha every year. Probably (but Doha not official yet). Abu Dhabi makes sense especially because its December 27 and is quick, so nice and early so he won't have to cram in the match practice too late.

Rafa has previously played doubles and singles at Doha (and won the doubles).

RF20Lennon
10-02-2012, 08:51 PM
LOL Nadal will play on a bed of nails if you paid him good bucks

RAFA2005RG
10-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Well, he has hasn't played anything since Wimbledon, so....

RF20Lennon
10-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Well, he has hasn't played anything since Wimbledon, so....

none of the tourneys included loads of $$$ for participating and a bed of nails :twisted:

Sentinel
10-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I wonder if Nadal being a cheater will come out many years later when he's long retired. Basically winning all his titles because he was doping. A lot of people were wondering why Nadal always had more energy left in the tank than other players so the doping issue is a plausible one. It's not like his workout routine was any more rigorous than any other player's. He basically did the bare minimum in training and ate a rather poor diet of chocolate chip cookies and other junk. So why did he have more stamina than other well conditioned players?

Nadal doesn't eat junk, he eats Quely biscuits, pasta and fish. He's currently swimming an hour every day, so you can imagine what kind of conditioning he did when he was well.

Sentinel
10-02-2012, 09:43 PM

But would he play on blue clay given big bux ? :)

smoledman
10-02-2012, 09:59 PM
This talk is resentful Federer fans not being able to accept reality, or just spreading bs.

And we don't know how long it will take. And any kind of ATP ban wouldn't affect an exo, so it's irrelevant.

What's that reality? *knock knock*

Who is #1 and owns 17 slams?

RF20Lennon
10-02-2012, 10:04 PM
But would he play on blue clay given big bux ? :)

not for Verdasco's foundation :twisted:

RAFA2005RG
10-02-2012, 10:05 PM

The guy who won a slam in Australia 2010 and didn't win a slam again until Wimbledon 2012.

smoledman
10-02-2012, 10:07 PM
The guy who won a slam in Australia 2010 and didn't win a slam again until Wimbledon 2012.

You mean the guy who won 15 slams in 6 years had a little dry spell? Whoop-dee-doo!

RAFA2005RG
10-02-2012, 10:20 PM
You mean the guy who won 15 slams in 6 years had a little dry spell? Whoop-dee-doo!

Yep that's the one.

namelessone
10-02-2012, 10:40 PM
interesting.

:)

You can't make this stuff up.

Following this line of reasoning, in 2009, when he was beat on 31st of May by Sod, Nadal should've come back only on a 31st(so only July,August,October,December left that year) yet he returned on the 10th of August. Presumably the guys behind the silent bans weren't so exact with their ban schedule back then. They had to make due with 2 months and 10 days instead of a nice full 3 months,6 months ban and so on. Heck, maybe Nadal will come back EXACTLY one year later on his next silent ban.

The Dark Knight
10-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Federer thinks its serious :

Nadal reached the final of the US Open last year but his long-term rival Roger Federer says he was not surprised by the decision to pull out this time around.
"It's not a surprise because I wrote to him and he told me it wasn't looking good at all," said Federer. "But obviously when it's official it's disappointing for tennis, there's no doubt about it.
"I would love to have him in the draw. With 12 days before the Open you figure he might still have time to fix what he has to fix to get ready.
"If he pulls out that early before the Open, it must be something serious. That's what is sort of scary. There is obviously the whole debate going on if he is going come back for this year.

Tony48
10-02-2012, 11:53 PM
He plays Abu Dhabi and Doha every year. Probably (but Doha not official yet). Abu Dhabi makes sense especially because its December 27 and is quick, so nice and early so he won't have to cram in the match practice too late.

Rafa has previously played doubles and singles at Doha (and won the doubles).

If he's playing Doha, then playing the exho does not make any sense. If he's so concerned about his knees, then limiting his time spent on HC should be his No. 1 priority. An actual tournament is better preparation for a slam than any exho could ever be.

RF20Lennon
10-03-2012, 12:01 AM
If he's playing Doha, then playing the exho does not make any sense. If he's so concerned about his knees, then limiting his time spent on HC should be his No. 1 priority. An actual tournament is better preparation for a slam than any exho could ever be.

Hopefully he doesnt go all out in the exo! LOL

CMM
10-03-2012, 12:13 AM

2 matches in Abu Dhabi + playing Doha isn't that much. It might not even be enough after such a long time off.
Besides, in Doha he could lose in the first round and then he'd arrive at AO without having played any competitive matches.
If he wants to win Slams and important tournaments it's impossible to avoid playing on hard courts. Someone said he could skip IW and Miami. Well, I doubt it because if he doesn't defend his AO points he could drop to number 5 in the rankings and I'm sure he doesn't want that.

Gorecki
10-03-2012, 02:07 AM
rray no like raw my foot rhis... no? so rray pley ronly uen moni rhis beeg he?

RAFA2005RG
10-03-2012, 03:26 AM

Actually, Nadal reached the 2012 Australian Open final by playing Abu Dhabi and Doha beforehand. Why change that? Especially after no matches since Wimbledon.

jesenk
10-03-2012, 03:38 AM
You have to admire the guy's commitment. He's willing to miss months of tennis just to convince everyone that he only lost to Rosol because he had an injury.

vive le beau jeu !
10-03-2012, 04:43 AM
You have to admire the guy's commitment. He's willing to miss months of tennis just to convince everyone that he only lost to Rosol because he had an injury.
personnaly, i need a definite retirement to be really convinced. ;)
(only from tennis i mean... he can still do his pre-serve routines on a golf course or on a poker table)

Crisstti
10-03-2012, 04:45 AM

The reality is that Fed loses to Rafa fair and square. ***** can't take it, so they come up with this doping bs.

TennisLovaLova
10-03-2012, 05:13 AM
The reality is that Fed loses to Rafa fair and square. ***** can't take it, so they come up with this doping bs.

This has been discussed many many times

Tennis_Hands
10-03-2012, 05:30 AM

The reality is, that Rafa loses against the field fair and square. ***** can't take it, so they come up with this "if Rafa was healthy" bs.

Sentinel
10-03-2012, 05:40 AM

Nadal was taking pain-killers even during RG and the WO first round again. Also, Nadal's knees are never totally healthy. He plays with a condition, and sometimes his knee gets out of hand.

Crisstti, this 'silent ban' is just a little ribbing we do, take it with a pinch of salt, or play along, or ignore. Don't fall for it.

namelessone
10-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Question:

If Nadal is relatively healthy by say, mid December, where do you want him to make his comeback? There is only HC in sight until early February and AO is mid January. You can't expect him to go into a slam with ZERO matches under his belt. It's like with those people that complain about Nadal coming back to a surface like HC(when he complained about HC before) forgetting that from August 2012 - 4th February 2013(6 months basically) the tour is nothing but HC events.

Abu Dhabi is a event that gives him a lot of money, the possibility to see if he can still hang with some top guys and since it's an exho, there is no pressure result wise. It's the perfect venue to come back if he wants to enter AO. If he still has knee problems in mid December then better to skip AO and come back in the southamerican clay swing.

smoledman
10-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Question:

If Nadal is relatively healthy by say, mid December, where do you want him to make his comeback? There is only HC in sight until early February and AO is mid January. You can't expect him to go into a slam with ZERO matches under his belt. It's like with those people that complain about Nadal coming back to a surface like HC(when he complained about HC before) forgetting that from August 2012 - 4th February 2013(6 months basically) the tour is nothing but HC events.

Abu Dhabi is a event that gives him a lot of money, the possibility to see if he can still hang with some top guys and since it's an exho, there is no pressure result wise. It's the perfect venue to come back if he wants to enter AO. If he still has knee problems in mid December then better to skip AO and come back in the southamerican clay swing.

I don't see what Abu Dhabi proves. Federer & Djokovic will probably not be there due to exhaustion.

Crisstti
10-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Nadal was taking pain-killers even during RG and the WO first round again. Also, Nadal's knees are never totally healthy. He plays with a condition, and sometimes his knee gets out of hand.

Crisstti, this 'silent ban' is just a little ribbing we do, take it with a pinch of salt, or play along, or ignore. Don't fall for it.

I doubt your intention in saying that kind of thing is the same as some other posters around here, Senti.

Mustard
10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
I can't wait for Nadal's return to action. It seems ages since I last saw him play.

MichaelNadal
10-03-2012, 09:09 PM
I can't wait for Nadal's return to action. It seems ages since I last saw him play.

Couldn't agree more bro. It's almost agonizing lol.

Tony48
10-03-2012, 11:28 PM
2 matches in Abu Dhabi + playing Doha isn't that much. It might not even be enough after such a long time off.
Besides, in Doha he could lose in the first round and then he'd arrive at AO without having played any competitive matches.
If he wants to win Slams and important tournaments it's impossible to avoid playing on hard courts. Someone said he could skip IW and Miami. Well, I doubt it because if he doesn't defend his AO points he could drop to number 5 in the rankings and I'm sure he doesn't want that.

Well this would be a good idea, if he is indeed serious about spending less time on HC. Then I suppose Abu Dhabi and Doha wouldn't be that big of a deal.

As for his rankings, it is certainly going to take a big hit if he pulls out of some HC tournaments. It's just something that he's going to have to come to terms with.