PDA

View Full Version : Nadal to resume training, aiming for Year End finals and Davis Cup

TheFifthSet
10-03-2012, 11:24 AM
(AFP) Ė 2 hours ago

PARIS ó Spanish tennis superstar Rafael Nadal, out of action since June, will resume training in two weeks with the aim of playing in the ATP Tour Finals and the Davis Cup final, his uncle has told Fox Sports television channel.

"In 15 days, Rafa will resume training, in time for him to aim to play in the Masters and the final of the Davis Cup," said Toni Nadal, as reported by the Twitter feed of Central Fox, the Latin American branch of Fox Sports.

Nadal, the former world number one, has not played a competitive match since his shock loss to unseeded Czech Lukas Rosol in the second round at Wimbledon on June 28.

The 26-year-old Mallorcan has been suffering with Hoffa syndrome, an inflammation of the fatty tissue situated behind the kneecap in his left knee.

He declared in late September that he would not return to the circuit until he was 100 percent fit.

Nadal missed the London Olympics and the US Open, but hopes to be fit in time for the ATP Tour Finals in London, which run from November 5-12, and the Davis Cup final on November 16-18, which will see Spain defend their title against the Czech Republic in Prague.

Both events will take place on hard courts, which are more likely to aggravate existing injuries than Nadal's preferred surface, clay.

veroniquem
10-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Really? I hope Rafa will make WTF. He would be completely fresh there for once and it would make things so much more interesting!

kishnabe
10-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Rafa to appear just for the 100 grand bonus at the YEC. :(.....I dunt he will play Indoor Hard againze th Czechs,

Let say he plays well at YEC....he just going to get drubbed 6-3,6-0 by the better Indoor players.

CMM
10-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Really? I hope Rafa will make WTF.

He won't.....

BigServer1
10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Can't see Rafa showing up to the WTF. No match play in 5 months and the worst surface for his game? It would be 2009 all over again.

batz
10-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Would love to see him back for the WTF. It would balance out the groups.

Rock Strongo
10-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Rafa to appear just for the 100 grand bonus at the YEC. :(.....I dunt he will play Indoor Hard againze th Czechs,

Let say he plays well at YEC....he just going to get drubbed 6-3,6-0 by the better Indoor players.

Was that intentional of subconscious?:)

All right, almost...

Prisoner of Birth
10-03-2012, 01:01 PM
How are players generally grouped?

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Hope he's doing well. The WTF final will be more fun with him around.

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-03-2012, 02:46 PM
How are players generally grouped?

There are two groups each with four players.

Player 1: Ranked 1 or 2
Player 2: Ranked 3 or 4
Player 3: Ranked 5 or 6
Player 4: Ranked 7 or 8

In the semis the winners of each group play the runner ups of the group they didn't play in.

rodrigoamaral
10-03-2012, 03:12 PM
he is not playing london

Zarfot Z
10-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Really? I hope Rafa will make WTF. He would be completely fresh there for once and it would make things so much more interesting!

Completely fresh and rusty.

Rhino
10-03-2012, 03:34 PM
he is not playing london

Wants to avoid a double bagel from Federer.

RF20Lennon
10-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Highly doubt he will play London

Prisoner of Birth
10-03-2012, 03:42 PM
There are two groups each with four players.

Player 1: Ranked 1 or 2
Player 2: Ranked 3 or 4
Player 3: Ranked 5 or 6
Player 4: Ranked 7 or 8

In the semis the winners of each group play the runner ups of the group they didn't play in.

So you could have 1, 4, 6, and 8 in the same group? I mean, the choices would be random, right? WTFs in the one tournament I've never really followed, regrettably.

kishnabe
10-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Was that intentional of subconscious?:)

All right, almost...

Yes it was intentional for my friend ***. If that was subconscious....that would mean I am a disturbed *******. Hopefully I don't get there.

Crisstti
10-03-2012, 06:32 PM
I doubt he will play the WTF.

In 15 days he'd return to training?. Am I imagining things or had they said that a while ago already?. :|

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-03-2012, 06:52 PM
So you could have 1, 4, 6, and 8 in the same group? I mean, the choices would be random, right? WTFs in the one tournament I've never really followed, regrettably.

As unlikely as it is, yes it's possible. It's like normal draws, the players are randomly placed but based on their ranking.

Also, WTF is one of my favorites. Almost guaranteed a good match every day!

RAFA2005RG
10-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Talk Tennis is in damage control! Scary times.

sbengte
10-03-2012, 11:40 PM
It would be epic if Nadal were to actually win the WTF this year after lowering expectations to rock bottom before showing up.

NDFM
10-03-2012, 11:42 PM
I highly doubt nadal will be playing in the WTF and the Davis Cup Final

Prisoner of Birth
10-03-2012, 11:49 PM
As unlikely as it is, yes it's possible. It's like normal draws, the players are randomly placed but based on their ranking.

Also, WTF is one of my favorites. Almost guaranteed a good match every day!

True. I'm gonna follow this year's one for sure.

RAFA2005RG
10-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Davis Cup is far more important than the World Tour Finals, so at the very least he'll play the Davis Cup. But might as well play the World Tour Finals to get into shape for Davis Cup.

Prisoner of Birth
10-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Davis Cup is far more important than the World Tour Finals, so at the very least he'll play the Davis Cup. But might as well play the World Tour Finals to get into shape for Davis Cup.

:neutral: Eh?

RAFA2005RG
10-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Anytime you represent your country its more important than a non-slam. In fact I suspect Nadal wasn't too enthusiastic about making the WTF semis last year. Spain's captain said he was worried about the WTF hurting Ferrer and Rafa. And in the final round robin match vs Tsonga, Rafa faded to lose in 3. Had he won that match he'd have made the semis. Instead he was able to join his Davis Cup teammates in practice.

Prisoner of Birth
10-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Anytime you represent your country its more important than a non-slam. In fact I suspect Nadal wasn't too enthusiastic about making the WTF semis last year. Spain's captain said he was worried about the WTF hurting Ferrer and Rafa. And in the final round robin match vs Tsonga, Rafa faded to lose in 3. Had he won that match he'd have made the semis. Instead he was able to join his Davis Cup teammates in practice.

And you know that how?

RAFA2005RG
10-04-2012, 12:11 AM
And you know that how?

Because a country is bigger than a player, duh. More to play for, more people to let down, more guilt, and more glory.

Prisoner of Birth
10-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Because a country is bigger than a player, duh. More to play for, more people to let down, more guilt, and more glory.

Then why isn't the Davis Cup bigger than the Slams?

RAFA2005RG
10-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Then why isn't the Davis Cup bigger than the Slams?

It is for some. Olympics is better than slams for Rafa and Agassi. Both said their gold was the best achievement of their lives. I'm sure there are players who value Davis Cup over slams too, Rafter and Hewitt for example I believe have said this.

Prisoner of Birth
10-04-2012, 12:17 AM
It is for some. Olympics is better than slams for Rafa and Agassi. Both said their gold was the best achievement of their lives. I'm sure there are players who value Davis Cup over slams too, Rafter and Hewitt for example I believe have said this.

Links or it didn't happen.

Prisoner of Birth
10-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Either way, the WTF is more prestigious than the Davis Cup. It's ridiculous to claim otherwise.

ledwix
10-04-2012, 12:32 AM
In Davis Cup there are joke matches, like Murray's triple bagel. In WTF it's several matches in a row against a top 8 player. You're less likely to see a bagel, although Nadal *did* get bageled last year, haha. Nadalwon2098 is just willfully delusional since Nadal isn't good enough to win it.

RAFA2005RG
10-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Links or it didn't happen.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-04/sports/sns-rt-us-tennis-men-nadalbre8430v6-20120504_1_rafa-nadal-monte-carlo-masters-olympic-gold
MADRID (Reuters) - Winning a gold medal for your country at the Olympic Games is the greatest achievement in tennis, world number two Rafa Nadal said on Friday, while also leaving the door open to a possible return to Spain's Davis Cup team in September.

After his triumph in Beijing four years ago, Nadal will be chasing a second Olympic singles gold in London, when the event in July and August will be staged on the grass courts of Wimbledon's All England Club.

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2012/08/07/tuesday-talking-point-olympic-rankings-2
Thatís because for the players, the Olympics means a lot. World No.1 Roger Federer has talked openly in 2012 about structuring his whole season around peaking for the Games. The lure of the Olympics is what motivated Venus Williams to drag herself back onto the tour while suffering from an auto-immune condition simply to qualify for London 2012. Atlanta 1996 gold medallist Andre Agassi describes his Olympic win as his greatest accomplishment in tennis.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/first-match-is-do-or-die-for-hewitt-20110116-19sif.html
''That's why my main priority is obviously with Davis Cup. We don't play a Davis Cup tie till later on in the year. But apart from that, the grand slams are my main priority.'' - Hewitt

http://nfsa.gov.au/collection/film-australia-collection/program-sales/programs/teachers_notes/8187thefifthset.pdf
For a century, the Davis Cup has been one of the world's greatest
tennis competitions. Despite the lure of big money on the professional
circuit, the cup continues to stand for sportsmanship, team spirit and
national pride. For Australia, it has given us heroes like Norman
Brookes, Ken Rosewall, Lew Hoad, Neale Fraser, Rod Laver, John
Newcombe and Patrick Rafter. And it has helped define us as a nation,
turning a rich personís game into a country's passion.

Dark Magician
10-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Finally! Hoping to see more Fedal matches!!

Zarfot Z
10-04-2012, 01:44 AM
If Nadal really does believe that GM is worth more than a slam, then he is either delusional or lying.

GM will be nothing more than a footnote in his career, whereas slams are what will put him into the history books.

Prisoner of Birth
10-04-2012, 01:58 AM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-04/sports/sns-rt-us-tennis-men-nadalbre8430v6-20120504_1_rafa-nadal-monte-carlo-masters-olympic-gold

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2012/08/07/tuesday-talking-point-olympic-rankings-2

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/first-match-is-do-or-die-for-hewitt-20110116-19sif.html

http://nfsa.gov.au/collection/film-australia-collection/program-sales/programs/teachers_notes/8187thefifthset.pdf

Hewitt never said Davis Cup is worth more than a Grand Slam. He only said it was his main priority, probably because he had a good shot in it as opposed to another Grand Slam. As for the others... let's just say they're being ridiculous.

Cormorant
10-04-2012, 03:02 AM
How much $$$ would Janko gief... ;).

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-04-2012, 03:15 AM
It's only a matter of time before one of the greatest rivalries of all time, Nadal-Djokovic, resumes at AO 2013. And if Nadal wins AO 2013, he can win the Australian Open and Roland Garros back to back, a heroic feat.

Crisstti
10-04-2012, 03:27 AM
If Nadal really does believe that GM is worth more than a slam, then he is either delusional or lying.

GM will be nothing more than a footnote in his career, whereas slams are what will put him into the history books.

I'm sure he's been directly asked the question and he's never put one above the other.

For players who are very patriotic though (and Nadal is) playing and winning for their country must add a lot of value to such tournaments.

FEDisanAlien
10-04-2012, 03:51 AM
As much i dislike him i he is the biggest fighter in tennis history
I am pretty sure next year he will again be a contenter for grand slams and yed number 1

tacou
10-04-2012, 03:57 AM
How did he go from unsure about the Australian in January to aiming for early November? I doubt it happens

Crisstti
10-04-2012, 04:05 AM
How did he go from unsure about the Australian in January to aiming for early November? I doubt it happens

Toni has been considerably more optimistic in his comments about when Rafa is going to come back than Rafa himself has been. Rafa has said he plans to play in the AO, which should mean a couple of warm up events before. A while ago his friend Tomeu Salva said in some interview in Mallorca that Nadal wasn't coming back this year.

RF20Lennon
10-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Good stuff!!! Hope he can make it for Aussie next year

merlinpinpin
10-04-2012, 07:58 AM
It's all about the h2h and w/l ratio, people. If memory serves, Nadal is currently 9/9 at the event, so he's probably hoping that he can make a good showing and end up (or rather, down) at 9/12, so he can proove once and for all that this is just a meaningless, cheesy exo and all of Federer's wins should at the very least be asterisked, or scratched altogether. ;)

Jokes aside, I'm not putting much stock in what camp Nadal says (never have, really, as they're so fond of contradicting themselves and each other all the time), so I guess he'll be back when he'll be back, not when he or Toni (or the cook, the chambermaid, Xisca's hair stylist, the pool guy from Mallorqua, etc.) says he will.