PDA

View Full Version : How long will the "Top 4" dominate (win atleast 2 Slams an year) for?

Prisoner of Birth
10-03-2012, 10:58 PM
I just don't see ANYONE coming up who can challenge them. Or any of the older guys stepping up (Del Potro could, Berdych and Tsonga might but can't see them winning 3 of the 4 Slams between them). I feel the "Top 4" will be winning atleast 2 Slams an year between them for atleast the next 3 years. Maybe even 5. There's just no promising talent coming up. This might have been dicussed before but indulge me.

PS - Don't laugh at my poll options, just wanted to cover all possibilities, no matter how unlikely.

NDFM
10-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I just don't see ANYONE coming up who can challenge them. Or any of the older guys stepping up (Del Potro could, Berdych and Tsonga might but can't see them winning 3 of the 4 Slams between them). I feel the "Top 4" will be winning atleast 2 Slams an year between them for atleast the next 3 years. Maybe even 5. There's just no promising talent coming up. This might have been dicussed before but indulge me.

PS - Don't laugh at my poll options, just wanted to cover all possibilities, no matter how unlikely.

I don't think I could have said this any better. I voted for 4 years but you never know what the future may bring.

Who do you think is the most promising from the next generation ?(e.g amongst guys like dimitrov, tomic, raonic etc)

Prisoner of Birth
10-03-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't think I could have said this any better. I voted for 4 years but you never know what the future may bring.

Who do you think is the most promising from the next generation ?(e.g amongst guys like dimitrov, tomic, raonic etc)

See, they're nice talents. But with all due respect to them, I think even a 34 year-old Federer could more than match them in their primes, let alone a 28 year-old Djokovic/Murray and a 29 year-old Nadal (barring retirement, of course). They can't keep up this kind of dominance but I'm so sure they're gonna keep winning atleast 2 of the 4 Slams for atleast the next few years. I hope I'm proven wrong, though.

Jackuar
10-04-2012, 10:27 AM
The topic says THE top 4 (I did understood it though to be CURRENT top 4).

Well, I can easily say 4 more years.... Let's read the name aloud (Just to assure ourselves)

ROGER FEDERER
RAFAEL NADAL
NOVAK DJOKOVIC
ANDY MURRAY

And for a second, try to run the past 8 years (Yes, entire 8 years within a second) and try to imagine a tennis world without them. I'm not exaggerating here.

Nadal is almost a lock for two more FO
Djokovic or Murray for 2 more USO and 2 more Wimbly
Probably AO can spring up something but the field will be fresh at the beginning of the year, so it might be difficult.

I can certainly accept that someone else will come up but for your question of winning atleast 2 per year by the top 4 - yes that will happen for 4 more years, meaning till Rio and I'm expecting Federer to retire at the end of 2016.

NadalAgassi
10-04-2012, 11:23 AM
If winning atleast 2 slams a year amongst them all is considering dominant I would say another 6 years considering Djokovic and Murray especialy can last that long near the top and the up and comers are beyond useless.

papertank
10-04-2012, 12:07 PM
None of them are even close to calling it quits, there is absolutely no one that can challenge them. Maybe in the next few years we see a few more Del Potro-esque runs but I see these four dominating the majority of the slams at least for the next 5 years. There is just absolutely no one out there capable of becoming a top player.