PDA

View Full Version : Has Bartoli lost the plot!!

robbo1970
10-04-2012, 05:11 AM
I was watching the tennis last night, as you do, and the match between Goerges (pronounced Gorgeous) and Bartoli. In truth I was trying to watch Goerges more than Bartoli, but that would be going off topic.

I hadn't noticed this before, but all of that jumping and air tennis that Bartoli does between points just looks really weird.

I noticed a couple of time that Gorgeous was looking at her as if to say "what the jeffing hell are you doing". I must admit, if I saw my opponent doing that, I would quietly try and walk off the court without them noticing, fearing for my life.

I appreciate players have their little quirks that help them focus, like Sharapova turning her back on her opponent to do a little tippy-toe shuffle then screaming every time she hits the ball and Azarenka impersonating a 6 foot owl.

However, this weirdness from Bartoli just seems borderline manic. Although it did seem to work in unsettling her opponent as Gorgeous seemed a lot more focused on what Bartoli was up to than her own game. Is it yet more gamesmanship that works.

I'm not sure I have a point here really, I just thought it was weird.

Magnetite
10-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Good thing women don't have to play 5 setters. Bartoli would be done.

ollinger
10-04-2012, 05:20 AM
No, I don't see much of a point here either. Nothing succeeds like success. Bartoli, for someone who doesn't appear at least to be a natural athlete, has had quite a successful career as one of the better players on the tour. Whatever she does seems to work. I find her rituals, mostly practice swings, to make more sense than Djokovic bouncing the ball 20 times before serving (somewhat fewer now compared with a few years ago) or Nadal rearranging his underwear every time he starts a point.

dangalak
10-04-2012, 05:22 AM
That's Bartoli for you.

NDFM
i can't help but laugh, i watching the goerges match last night and i'm pretty sure she done like a quick jumping squat before she was going to get the balls to serve

Russeljones
She is probably insane and has to be something she inherited from her dad who looks similarly unhinged.

kOaMaster
10-04-2012, 05:27 AM
example please.

vive le beau jeu !
10-04-2012, 05:38 AM
I noticed a couple of time that Gorgeous was looking at her as if to say "what the jeffing hell are you doing". I must admit, if I saw my opponent doing that, I would quietly try and walk off the court without them noticing, fearing for my life.
:)
freudian slip ? ;)

robbo1970
10-04-2012, 05:59 AM
:)
freudian slip ? ;)

Accidentally on purpose actually :)

LuckyR
10-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Maria and Ivanovic also routinely take practice swings during return games. It isn't all that big of a deal and anyone on the WTA tour who is caught off guard by Bartoli's ritual, isn't paying attention...

dangalak
10-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Maria and Ivanovic also routinely take practice swings during return games. It isn't all that big of a deal and anyone on the WTA tour who is caught off guard by Bartoli's ritual, isn't paying attention...

Oh no, not that excuse again.

Anyone who isn't terribly biased would have to admit that Bartoli behaves like a real psychopath on court.

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-04-2012, 08:26 AM
This is the main reason she irritates me.

LuckyR
10-04-2012, 08:30 AM

Anyone who isn't terribly biased would have to admit that Bartoli behaves like a real psychopath on court.

Clearly you've never seen a real psychopath...

dangalak
10-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Clearly you've never seen a real psychopath...

Yes I have. It's the lady this thread is about.

No way, that not at least 1 person out of 5 watching her would come to the conclusion that she is not right in the head.

Sartorius
10-04-2012, 08:40 AM
example please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wutcxfLyBj8&feature=player_detailpage#t=525s

I remember she actually wasn't always doing that, and vaguely remember an interview where she thought she was mentally weak in matches and decided to pump herself more...

Well, now she's definitely more pumped, but probably a little too much.

Mainad
10-04-2012, 08:41 AM

Behaves like a psychopath? She may be a bit eccentric but at least she doesn't physically attack anybody unlike some players we could mention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEFvFWKKNA

ollinger
10-04-2012, 08:45 AM
My own ritual is to jump up and down when people use words they have no clue to the meaning of. A psychopath is someone who exhibits criminal behaviors and no remorse (the term is actually obsolete for decades, having been replaced by sociopath).

dangalak
10-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Behaves like a psychopath? She may be a bit eccentric but at least she doesn't physically attack anybody unlike some players we could mention:

Nalbandian didn't intend it. Also, it is normal for people to get mad when they play poorly, however unacceptable it is.

It is mindboggling for somebody to act like Bartoli does unless somebody has sniffed their own bodyweight of cocaine. :lol:

vive le beau jeu !
10-04-2012, 08:54 AM

ah... the famous nalbandian trick shot ! :)

NDFM
10-04-2012, 08:55 AM
ah... the famous nalbandian trick shot ! :)

i just watched that as well

Boricua
10-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I was watching the tennis last night, as you do, and the match between Goerges (pronounced Gorgeous) and Bartoli. In truth I was trying to watch Goerges more than Bartoli, but that would be going off topic.

I hadn't noticed this before, but all of that jumping and air tennis that Bartoli does between points just looks really weird.

I appreciate players have their little quirks that help them focus, like Sharapova turning her back on her opponent to do a little tippy-toe shuffle then screaming every time she hits the ball and Azarenka impersonating a 6 foot owl.

However, this weirdness from Bartoli just seems borderline manic. Although it did seem to work in unsettling her opponent as Gorgeous seemed a lot more focused on what Bartoli was up to than her own game. Is it yet more gamesmanship that works.

I'm not sure I have a point here really, I just thought it was weird.

Bartoli claims she has the IQ of a genius, Who knows if this has to do with her jumping and simulating shots, etc.. Bright minds can be overly creative.:shock:

Douggo
10-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Yeah, Bartoli appears nuts. And, for some inexplicable reason, I find it sort of charming. Like she's the nerd who made the football team, and flies in the face of those who would say "you can't do that."

LuckyR
10-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Yes I have. It's the lady this thread is about.

No way, that not at least 1 person out of 5 watching her would come to the conclusion that she is not right in the head.

Ha, ha. But seriously, that word describes things in a very different realm than "air tennis". You need to get out more...

No one disagrees that she is quirky. But lots of people are quirky. In the big picture her antics are in the: "meh" category.

dangalak
10-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Ha, ha. But seriously, that word describes things in a very different realm than "air tennis". You need to get out more...

No one disagrees that she is quirky. But lots of people are quirky. In the big picture her antics are in the: "meh" category.

Well, she isn't Albert Fish, but she isn't exactly comfortable to watch. So on edge. :lol:

LuckyR
10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Well, she isn't Albert Fish, but she isn't exactly comfortable to watch. So on edge. :lol:

She definitely is quirky, my attitude is kind of like Douggo's, that is, I find her a refreshing departure from the eastern European tenni-bots. I like watching her play and wish her the best.

Plus she has to deal with her father, which is likely a pain.

dangalak
10-04-2012, 12:27 PM
really, eastern european tennibot.

those tennibots would do well to be robotic. Better than having Azarenka with her punkness, Zvonareva with her crying etc

LuckyR
10-04-2012, 12:31 PM
really, eastern european tennibot.

those tennibots would do well to be robotic. Better than having Azarenka with her punkness, Zvonareva with her crying etc

Those things happen when you wind the tenni-bots too tightly. They are a sign of mainspring failure...

robertk29
10-04-2012, 04:40 PM
She's a sweetheart in press interviews, and really pretty..

Nathaniel_Near
10-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Bartoli is my fave female tennis player probably, because she's bonkerzz. And yet, I watch virtually none of her matches, or any women's tennis. Yeh...

Rozroz
10-04-2012, 05:08 PM
this?
http://youtu.be/bS-vcMIUdtk?t=6m
http://youtu.be/bS-vcMIUdtk?t=7m1s

yea she's a bit crazy.
hell if that was helping ME not to choke on big points then why not?
she did win.
but she seems a very nice person at least on interviews.

beast of mallorca
10-04-2012, 06:28 PM

You don't even know what you're talking about dude.

ruerooo
10-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Have you ever seen her up close? It really isn't that psychopathic.

Kinetic for sure - that racquet swinging is just fascinating - but not psychopathic. Stop picking on her for something that would be called normal behavior if one of the ATP boys did it. They do ridiculous stuff all the time.
Marat? Gulbis? Come on.

Paullaconte1
10-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Destroyed by the father. Wondering what is going to be about her when she leaves pro tennis...

CCNM
10-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Yeah, Marion's a character.

timaru50
10-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Well Rafa generally gets what's stuck in his *** out but Bartoli on the other hand cannot ...she try's as you can see with all that jumping around and what ever is stuck just wont dislodge

jones101
10-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Has Bartoli lost the plot!!

YES (but I love her for it).

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m87kgedKRq1rbrwbko1_500.jpg