PDA

View Full Version : Talking about potential....

dangalak
10-05-2012, 05:26 PM
If every player from the 2000s maximised his potential, how many slams would he have won.

Yes, this is supposed to be a speculative thread.

forzamilan90
10-05-2012, 05:38 PM
are we talking strictly players whose professional career started after 2000 or generally speaking notable players of the 2000s tennis era?

BauerAlmeida
10-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Nadal 8
Federer 12
Djokovic 8
Haas 2
Coria 1
Nalbandian 6
Safin 8
Del Potro 2
Murray 2

Somethink like that IMO. I didn't count the exact amount of slams would be taken into consideration. Or since when do you start counting.

Evan77
10-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Nalbandian and Safin come to my mind. Nalby, if he was dedicated enough could have won few slams. Safin, if it wasn't for injuries, vodka and women should have won at least 3/4 more slams.

Haas is another one. One of the most talented players I had a privilege to watch. Unfortunately he got into that stupid accident ... but the biggest problem with Tommy Haas was his nerves. Despite all of his talent, superior shot making, beautiful net play, you name it, he just wasn't able to stay composed. He was a complete mental mess. too bad, too sad.

dangalak
10-05-2012, 05:46 PM
are we talking strictly players whose professional career started after 2000 or generally speaking notable players of the 2000s tennis era?

The latter.

Nathaniel_Near
10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
This is a speculative thread, if I ever saw one.

Nathaniel_Near
10-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Nalbandian and Safin come to my mind. Nalby, if he was dedicated enough could have won few slams. Safin, if it wasn't for injuries, vodka and women should have won at least 3/4 more slams.

Haas is another one. One of the most talented players I had a privilege to watch. Unfortunately he got into that stupid accident ... but the biggest problem with Tommy Haas was his nerves. Despite all of his talent, superior shot making, beautiful net play, you name it, he just wasn't able to stay composed. He was a complete mental mess. too bad, too sad.

Tru dat....

I think Safin, were it not for injuries and perhaps mentality, would have taken some Majors away from Roger. I feel like Nalbandian should have won say 1 Major, and Safin about 6.

BorisBeckerFan
10-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow, this is interesting. I maybe in the minority here in that I think Fed is both awesome but could have been mentally tougher.
I say Fed would have had 20 slams already if he had "maximized" his potential.

Nathaniel_Near
10-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Wow, this is interesting. I maybe in the minority here in that I think Fed is both awesome but could have been mentally tougher.
I say Fed would have already had 20 slams if he had "maximized" his potential.

Federer is in a special tier of 'talent' along with the likes of Laver and McEnroe. He should have won at least 56 Slams but will have to settle for 17 or so.

NadalDramaQueen
10-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Seems pretty obvious that Federer in full flight with his new found mental strength vs. the Nadal would pick up a large majority of the majors. He would probably lose every now and then just to see what it feels like.

Fantastic and well thought out thread, as usual, dangalak :cool:

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/dancing/flash2.gif

The-Champ
10-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Seems pretty obvious that Federer in full flight with his new found mental strength vs. the Nadal would pick up a large majority of the majors. He would probably lose every now and then just to see what it feels like.

Fantastic and well thought out thread, as usual, dangalak :cool:

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/dancing/flash2.gif

When Federer lost his first match against Nadal was that due to mental weakness? Imagine if Nadal didn't have that foot condition in that contributed to the weakening of his knees and therefore prevented him from reaching his true potential. What if Murray had hired Lendl earlier in his career. Imagine if Djokovic had discovered the gluten-free diet earlier.

NadalDramaQueen
10-05-2012, 06:53 PM
When Federer lost his first match against Nadal was that due to mental weakness? Imagine if Nadal didn't have that foot condition in that contributed to the weakening of his knees and therefore prevented him from reaching his true potential. What if Murray had hired Lendl earlier in his career. Imagine if Djokovic had discovered the gluten-free diet earlier.

All meaningless, The-Champ. All of uber Fed's opponents would be blinded by his sheer brilliance and would fittingly be crushed under the weight of his excellence. :lol:

dangalak
10-05-2012, 06:53 PM

The thing is, Nadal DOES have that foot condition. If he didn't have it, that's not maximising his potential, that's magically increasing it.

It's like saying "what if Isner wasn't one of the slowest players in the game".

dangalak
10-05-2012, 06:54 PM
PLease *****, don't be insecure. If you feel this scenario would see Nadal beating Federer even easier, feel free to say so.

The-Champ
10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
All meaningless, The-Champ. All of uber Fed's opponents would be blinded by his sheer brilliance and would fittingly be crushed under the weight of his excellence. :lol:

Not Tipsy, he is wearing those cool shades!

The-Champ
10-05-2012, 07:38 PM
The thing is, Nadal DOES have that foot condition. If he didn't have it, that's not maximising his potential, that's magically increasing it.

It's like saying "what if Isner wasn't one of the slowest players in the game".

Your thread is speculative! It deserves an uber fh from Rafa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUCx83nPyQU&feature=related

:D

dangalak
10-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Not Tipsy, he is wearing those cool shades!

Funny thing is, some commentator said that Tipsy was unique because he actually didn't choke against Federer in the AO. He just played him like another player. Federer had to actually come up with his best returns to finally break him.

The-Champ
10-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Funny thing is, some commentator said that Tipsy was unique because he actually didn't choke against Federer in the AO. He just played him like another player. Federer had to actually come up with his best returns to finally break him.

That's true. He was very clutch in that match and served very well. Certainly one of Tipsy's greatest displays ever.

dangalak
10-05-2012, 07:50 PM
On topic, Tipsy is actually a guy with great potential, in he doesn't exactly lack that much. Cleaner ballstriker than any in the top 4 (yes, cleaner than Djokovic) great movement, unreal backhand, and probably the best serve I've seen in a while, controlling for height. Well, except fro Raonic and Roddick I guess. :lol:

Wonder what this guy is lacking.

Evan77
10-05-2012, 08:08 PM
On topic, Tipsy is actually a guy with great potential, in he doesn't exactly lack that much. Cleaner ballstriker than any in the top 4 (yes, cleaner than Djokovic) great movement, unreal backhand, and probably the best serve I've seen in a while, controlling for height. Well, except fro Raonic and Roddick I guess. :lol:

Wonder what this guy is lacking.
yeah, right. you mean on blue clay. agree with you, lol, NOT. and enough of Raonic, I'm getting annoyed by this serve bot :). I'm Canadian but I prefer Dancevic. The problem is all of these guys are from former Yugoslavia, it's weird. Djokovic, Nestor (they say Nestorovic is his real name, I don't know), Tipsarevic, Jankovic, Ivanovic,. not sure with this 'ich' thing btw.

dangalak
10-05-2012, 08:10 PM
yeah, right. you mean on blue clay. agree with you, lol, NOT. and enough of Raonic, I'm getting annoyed by this serve bot :). I'm Canadian but I prefer Dancevic. The problem is all of these guys are from former Yugoslavia, it's weird. Djokovic, Nestor (they say Nestorovic is his real name, I don't know), Tipsarevic, Jankovic, Ivanovic,. not sure with this 'ich' thing btw.

Let me guess, you don't think Baghdatis and Berdych strike it cleaner than Djokovic either. :?

Seriously, top players aren't better than everyone at everything.

Evan77
10-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Let me guess, you don't think Baghdatis and Berdych strike it cleaner than Djokovic either. :?

yeah, they are, like it or not. As much as I like Berdman and Marcos, no they don't even come close to Djoko.

dangalak
10-05-2012, 08:24 PM
yeah, they are, like it or not. As much as I like Berdman and Marcos, no they don't even come close to Djoko.

I guess Nadal has a better serve than Raonic too. :lol:

My God, what is this crap.

okdude1992
10-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Dude, some people may just not agree with you. I saw Janko practice up close 2 years in a row at Indian Wells. To me it didn't look like he was hitting the ball clean at all. Especially off the backhand. Saw Baghdatis smoke Lopez the same day. Now HE was hitting the ball super clean and serving at 135 plus. Watching him reminded me of what a waste of talent he is. Nalbandian also hits super clean and controlled groundstrokes. was nice seeing him up close

dangalak
10-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Dude, some people may just not agree with you. I saw Janko practice up close 2 years in a row at Indian Wells. To me it didn't look like he was hitting the ball clean at all. Especially off the backhand. Saw Baghdatis smoke Lopez the same day. Now HE was hitting the ball super clean and serving at 135 plus. Watching him reminded me of what a waste of talent he is. Nalbandian also hits super clean and controlled groundstrokes. was nice seeing him up close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-iMgH5Jc4

Seems to hit it pretty clean.

rofl_copter3
10-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Safin would have 5 or so Monfils maybe 1 young...0

Russeljones
10-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Federer - 40

vive le beau jeu !
10-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Saw Baghdatis smoke Lopez the same day. Now HE was hitting the ball super clean and serving at 135 plus. Watching him reminded me of what a waste of talent he is.
sadly true... :-|

dangalak
10-06-2012, 12:18 AM
sadly true... :-|

How many slams do you think he should've won and which? :)

Evan77
10-06-2012, 06:42 AM
I guess Nadal has a better serve than Raonic too. :lol:

My God, what is this crap.
crap is coming from you when someone disagrees with you. as simple as that.

no, I'm not going to say anything about Nadal/Rao serve. It's a low punch, but suit yourself.

Romismak
10-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Impossible to tell this WHAT IF ,but if those guys achieved more than Roger wouldn´ have 17 slams for sure and Rafa woulnd´t never win anything besides RG.

I mean if Nalbandian, Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Davydenko, Haas,Murray,Delpo and many others achieved more than it would be totally different - also guys like Tsonga, Soderling, , Berdych could have won slams if maximazing their potential

dangalak
10-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Impossible to tell this WHAT IF ,but if those guys achieved more than Roger wouldn´ have 17 slams for sure and Rafa woulnd´t never win anything besides RG.

I mean if Nalbandian, Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Davydenko, Haas,Murray,Delpo and many others achieved more than it would be totally different - also guys like Tsonga, Soderling, , Berdych could have won slams if maximazing their potential

How would you rank them?

merlinpinpin
10-06-2012, 08:45 AM
When Federer lost his first match against Nadal was that due to mental weakness?

This is an unfortunate example, as he was ill on that day (this is well-documented), so no, it was probably not due to mental weakness. ;)

10is
10-06-2012, 11:52 AM
When Federer lost his first match against Nadal was that due to mental weakness?

Mental weakness, no -- physical weakness - yes. He was actually sick and quite ill, and was considering withdrawing from the tournament. No need to take my word for it of course -- look it up.

cc0509
10-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Umm, sorry to inform you, but yes they are!

BauerAlmeida
10-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Umm, sorry to inform you, but yes they are!

No, they're not. They are better as a whole player but not in every aspect of the game.

Nadal does not have a better serve than Karlovic.
Djokovic does not volley better than Llodra
Federer doesn't have a better backhand than Haas

And I can go on.

TheF1Bob
10-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Novak would of easily had at least 20 slams by now.

Fed about 2, especially with guys like Nalby, Safin, Blake, Hass around.

Nadal = LOL Novak would of taken majority of his titles, with Muzza and Delpo getting on the act as well.

NadalDramaQueen
10-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Novak would of easily had at least 20 slams by now.

Fed about 2, especially with guys like Nalby, Safin, Blake, Hass around.

Nadal = LOL Novak would of taken all of his titles

I see that you're back at it. 8-)

UberFed would still be crushing Novak when he was in his late thirties. Djoker would likely retire from shame long before The Golden Eagle of Victory landed.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xGeglul2uO0/TeizCpjGkPI/AAAAAAAADg0/O-AJ2ysRTVc/s400/Federer_1.jpg