PDA

View Full Version : Why is Djokovic playing in China instead of Japan when he's sponsored by UNIQLO?

BreakPoint
10-05-2012, 07:45 PM
So a big Japanese company, UNIQLO, pays Djokovic millions of dollars but Djokovic snubs them by choosing to play in the China Open instead of the Japan Open? The executives at UNIQLO must be pretty ticked off. I would have assumed that they would have put into his sponsorship contract that he has to commit to playing in the Japan Open every year for marketing purposes so that UNIQLO can show him off to all the Japanese fans/customers that he wears a Japanese brand.

WhiskeyEE
10-05-2012, 07:56 PM
global reach, etc.

Big_Dangerous
10-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Because Murray is playing in Japan.

:lol:

rommil
10-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Uniqlo even allowed Novak to eat lo mein and misua so I'd say 'glo is fine with it.

BreakPoint
10-05-2012, 09:30 PM
I don't know but I still think UNIQLO loses face by Djokovic subbing them and choosing to play in China this week instead of in Japan. And losing face is the worst possible thing in Japanese culture. Especially since Djokovic is probably their highest profile endorser, and especially with the current heightened tensions between China and Japan.

Lemoned
10-05-2012, 09:37 PM
China is also a huge market for Uniqlo and they have Nishikori in Tokyo draw after all. Who knows if there were other reasons why Nole couldn't choose Tokyo, even if he wanted, such as some kind of longterm pre-contract? He was a ST (Chinese company) player and absolutely loves to play in China and is well-loved by the crowd as well.

BreakPoint
10-05-2012, 09:51 PM
China is also a huge market for Uniqlo and they have Nishikori in Tokyo draw after all. Who knows if there were other reasons why Nole couldn't choose Tokyo, even if he wanted, such as some kind of longterm pre-contract? He was a ST (Chinese company) player and absolutely loves to play in China and is well-loved by the crowd as well.
I doubt very many Chinese are buying UNIQLO or any other Japanese products right now. In fact, the locals have probably been trashing the UNIQLO stores in China recently, if they have any.

BTW, Sergio Tacchini may have Hong Kong investors, but it'll always still be an Italian brand. Just like Chrysler is still an American brand even though it was owned by Mercedes (German) and now by Fiat (Italian).

Romismak
10-05-2012, 10:20 PM
HE singned with them just this season, last year he was out at this time in year, but he is basically 2x defending champion in Beijing-09,10, so why he would change it....

Yes being sponsored by Uniqlo would help if he played Tokyo, but unfortunately it is in the same week with Beijing, i think only chance he will go to Tokyo is if he wonīt be defending title there - h eis not like Berdych he will change tournament being defending champion, but it is looking he will win also this 2012 Beijing...

Sentinel
10-05-2012, 10:33 PM
So if Federer signs up with Nike, he has to play in every US event ?

Some of the Nike/Reebok/Adidas stuff even has Made in Bangladesh/Pakistan on it. Poor Federer. He mustn't snub the challengers and futures there.

tusharlovesrafa
10-05-2012, 10:46 PM

Some of the Nike/Reebok/Adidas stuff even has Made in Bangladesh/Pakistan on it. Poor Federer. He mustn't snub the challengers and futures there.

So true.You certainly do possess quite a knowledge for a guy who doesn't read Newspapers on a daily basis.:p

Phonco
10-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm going to have to go with the global reach answer. Although you have a point about tensions between Japan and China, I still believe Djokovic playing in Beijing will still benefit Uniqlo. Having your highest paid endorser, and one of tennis' most marketable players should help offset loss of sales due to political tension, and in turn, boost sales in a declining market demographic.

You can also debate whether Nishikori or Djokovic would have a bigger effect in Japan, but I think having both of them play Rakuten would be overkill and only a marginal boost compared to the boost gained from the Chinese market.

BreakPoint
10-06-2012, 12:08 AM

When was the last time Federer skipped the US Open to play somewhere else? Besides. how many times has Federer won the "Real Slam" in Cincinnati? Meanwhile, Djokovic skipped the Japan Open so he can play the China Open.

BreakPoint
10-06-2012, 12:12 AM
You can also debate whether Nishikori or Djokovic would have a bigger effect in Japan, but I think having both of them play Rakuten would be overkill and only a marginal boost compared to the boost gained from the Chinese market.
There is no way Nishikori was going to skip his home country's Open to play in China. Of course, Djokovic would have a much bigger impact playing in Japan since everyone already expects Nishikori to play in Japan, and Djokovic is a multi-Slam winner and former #1 (and could be again) and a much bigger international star than Nishikori.

beast of mallorca
10-06-2012, 12:41 AM
China is a big market for uniqlo as well. Isn't it more wise that Djoker promotes the product in China and Nishikori, who's like a rock star in Japan, does his part in Japan ?

That way, both corners of the continent are covered.

Lemoned
10-06-2012, 01:16 AM
So a big Japanese company, UNIQLO, pays Djokovic millions of dollars but Djokovic snubs them by choosing to play in the China Open instead of the Japan Open? The executives at UNIQLO must be pretty ticked off.
How do you know what Uniqlo asked him to do? Do you have any proof that they wanted him to play Tokyo but he didn't follow it?

I would have assumed that they would have put into his sponsorship contract that he has to commit to playing in the Japan Open every year for marketing purposes so that UNIQLO can show him off to all the Japanese fans/customers that he wears a Japanese brand.
Apparently they didn't for whatever reasons?

When was the last time Federer skipped the US Open to play somewhere else? Besides. how many times has Federer won the "Real Slam" in Cincinnati? Meanwhile, Djokovic skipped the Japan Open so he can play the China Open.
Tell me which tournaments Fed can play during the USO weeks. Challengers? Or which top 50 have chosen to play somewhere else over a grand slam? If you mean US tournament, he could have played San Jose and Memphis instead of Rotterdam and Dubai, I guess?

There is no way Nishikori was going to skip his home country's Open to play in China. Of course, Djokovic would have a much bigger impact playing in Japan since everyone already expects Nishikori to play in Japan, and Djokovic is a multi-Slam winner and former #1 (and could be again) and a much bigger international star than Nishikori.
I don't think the size of potential customers for Uniqlo to gain by signing another international star to play this week in Tokyo, when they have the local hero in the draw, is that big. Especially the brand is already big enough in Japan and the reason they sponsor Djokovic wasn't for the Japanese market to begin with. Again how do you know both playing in Japan would have overall bigger impact or bring more benefit to Uniqlo than the combination of Djokovic in China + Nishikori in Japan will?

beast of mallorca
10-06-2012, 01:27 AM
I don't think the size of potential customers for Uniqlo to gain by signing another international star to play this week in Tokyo, when they have the local hero in the draw, is that big. Especially the brand is already big enough in Japan and the reason they sponsor Djokovic wasn't for the Japanese market to begin with. Again how do you know both playing in Japan would have overall bigger impact or bring more benefit to Uniqlo than the combination of Djokovic in China + Nishikori in Japan will?

That's what I'm saying.....:)

BreakPoint
10-06-2012, 01:45 AM
If Djokovic played in Japan, UNIQLO could bring him around to all the Japanese TV talk shows, corporate HQ to meet the greet the executives and employees, to it's main store in Tokyo, and various other promotional and marketing endeavors. It's not a big deal that Nishikori signed with UNIQLO, however it IS a big deal that Djkovic signed with UNIQLO and they would want to milk his presence in Japan as much as they can.

If you were sponsored by BMW, don't you think they would want you to come to Germany when there's a tournament in Munich to do promotions and marketing for BMW instead of playing somewhere else?

Lemoned
10-06-2012, 02:01 AM
If Djokovic played in Japan, UNIQLO could bring him around to all the Japanese TV talk shows, corporate HQ to meet the greet the executives and employees, to it's main store in Tokyo, and various other promotional and marketing endeavors.He did a pretty much similar job in NY prior to US Open as the 'global brand ambassador'. Yes, that's how they call him.

It's not a big deal that Nishikori signed with UNIQLO, however it IS a big deal that Djkovic signed with UNIQLO and they would want to milk his presence in Japan as much as they can.
Of course the deal itself was a big deal. But you don't know the details of the contract and the rest is just your assumptions. Again how you know what they wanted from him? I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they totally didn't mind him playing Beijing.

If you were sponsored by BMW, don't you think they would want you to come to Germany when there's a tournament in Munich to do promotions and marketing for BMW instead of playing somewhere else?
Munich tournament is called "BMW Open". Tokyo - Rakuten Open, not Uniqlo Open. By your logic, Nadal should play Seoul Samsung challenger as he's sponsored by KIA.

Romismak
10-06-2012, 02:06 AM
I still donīt get it what are people here talking about he is playing Beijing, because he was commited to Beijing- i donīt know when but for sure he was commited to them, he missed Beijing last year, because of injury, but he played it in 2009 and 2010 - he is ,,basically,, 2x defending champion and he signed with Uniqlo just this sesaon, probably he was already commited to Beijing at time deal was signed between Nole and Uniqlo.

Also where do yo know Uniqlo was asking him to play Tokyo when they were signingin with him, i think they are big enough in Japan and wants Nole to promote brand in China, N.America, Europe.

I think if Nole wins Beijing now, he will be back for sure in 2013 - why would you choose other event when he will be 3x winner from 3 last years he played there.

Also another factor are money - Beijing have more money than Tokyo and Nole probably got big appearance fees and he never played Tokyo - he only would play probably if Uniqlo badly wants him, but again you donīt know that + there are probably glad to sign him and i donīt think playing in Tokyo was even mentioned during deal they signed. If even it was he said he is doing great in Bejing and is commited to play there again - so really we will see 2013 - but if he will be defending champion no way he will not go there. He is not Berdych...

Evan77
10-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Chinese market is much bigger than Japs. It makes perfect sense that Djokovic plays in Beijing instead of Tokyo. Uniqlo is a global company btw. They are his sponsor, but they don't really have any influence over his schedule.

Also, I believe that Djokovic committed to China Open before he even signed his contract with Uniqlo.

tistrapukcipeht
10-06-2012, 07:31 AM
The reason is because ATP needs top players to support both tournaments.

Andres
10-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Flawed logic.

Flawed logic everywhere.

dr325i
10-06-2012, 07:49 AM
I doubt very many Chinese are buying UNIQLO or any other Japanese products right now. In fact, the locals have probably been trashing the UNIQLO stores in China recently, if they have any.

BTW, Sergio Tacchini may have Hong Kong investors, but it'll always still be an Italian brand. Just like Chrysler is still an American brand even though it was owned by Mercedes (German) and now by Fiat (Italian).

First of all, I would do the research before talking BS on the Forum.

1) UNIQLO is Made in China, not in Japan, I was surprised too knowing Japanese culture well. However, yes, it is all about the profits
2) China has more UNIQLO stores than the USA, and is a very popular brand over there due to prices. I have visited many of their stores in Shenzhen and Shanghai last month. Stores were attended well. You cannot imagine the size of the stores, though.
3) UNIQLO Djokovic is ONLY available at the NYC store, not in Japan, not in China...

dr325i
10-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Because Murray is playing in Japan.

:lol:

I believe he wanted to avoid Raonic...

BreakPoint
10-06-2012, 11:09 AM
He did a pretty much similar job in NY prior to US Open as the 'global brand ambassador'. Yes, that's how they call him.

Of course the deal itself was a big deal. But you don't know the details of the contract and the rest is just your assumptions. Again how you know what they wanted from him? I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they totally didn't mind him playing Beijing.

Munich tournament is called "BMW Open". Tokyo - Rakuten Open, not Uniqlo Open. By your logic, Nadal should play Seoul Samsung challenger as he's sponsored by KIA.
Of course, I don't know the details of his contract. I stated that in my OP. That's why I said I would have thought they would put into his contract that he has to play in the Japan Open. If I knew it was or wasn't in there, I wouldn't be speculating, would I?

"Not minding" him playing in China is not the same as preferring that he played in Japan.

As a major Japanese company and multi-million doallr sponsor of Djokovic, I'm sure they would prefer that he played in the Japan Open. I'm sure even if the tournament in Munich was called the "German Open", BMW would still prefer the players they sponsor to come to Munich and play in the tournament.

Nadal does not play in challengers anywhere in the world, but if he did, yes it would be a snub to his sponsor Kia if he chose to play in another challenger in Japan instead of the one in Korea that's happening at the same time.

Mainad
10-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I believe he wanted to avoid Raonic...

Similar reason why Berdych chose to play Tokyo this year instead of going to Beijing to defend his China Open title: to avoid Djokovic. :wink:

BreakPoint
10-06-2012, 08:36 PM
First of all, I would do the research before talking BS on the Forum.

1) UNIQLO is Made in China, not in Japan, I was surprised too knowing Japanese culture well. However, yes, it is all about the profits
2) China has more UNIQLO stores than the USA, and is a very popular brand over there due to prices. I have visited many of their stores in Shenzhen and Shanghai last month. Stores were attended well. You cannot imagine the size of the stores, though.
3) UNIQLO Djokovic is ONLY available at the NYC store, not in Japan, not in China...
1. What does where UNIQLO clothes are made have to do with anything? EVERYTHING is made in China these days. Most of Nike, Adidas, Fila, Under Armour, etc. clothes are made in China, too. But that doesn't make them Chinese brands. Nike is still an American brand. Just like Apple is still an American brand even though they make all of their iPads, iPhones, iPods, etc, in China.
2. The UNIQLO Djokovic stuff is only available in NYC because of the US Open and that's when and where they introduced it. They will probably roll out the Djokovic stuff in other countries once production ramps up. I doubt UNIQLO will want to make the same mistake that Sergio Tacchini did with their Djokovic stuff which was not available in most places where fans wanted to buy it.

OverratedIvanovic
10-06-2012, 09:20 PM
On a sidenote, his outfit doesn't seem too appealing. The all black look of Sergio Tacchini was 10 times better.

oy vey
10-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Beijing have more money than Tokyo and Nole probably got big appearance fees and he never played Tokyo -..

They said that Murray got an appearance fee in Japan. I wonder how much?

BreakPoint
10-06-2012, 09:31 PM
On a sidenote, his outfit doesn't seem too appealing. The all black look of Sergio Tacchini was 10 times better.
I am of the opposite opinion. I think Djokovic's UNIQLO clothes look 10 times better than any of the Sergio Tacchini clothes he wore. Some of that ST stuff was just bizarre and weird.

BreakPoint
10-06-2012, 09:32 PM
They said that Murray got an appearance fee in Japan. I wonder how much?
My guess is at least $100,000. The top players need to get at least that much just to get out of bed and show up.

OverratedIvanovic
10-06-2012, 10:02 PM
I am of the opposite opinion. I think Djokovic's UNIQLO clothes look 10 times better than any of the Sergio Tacchini clothes he wore. Some of that ST stuff was just bizarre and weird.

I guess its a matter of opinion then. Have a look below. We can atleast agree that both the outfits suck compared to Fedal's outfits :twisted:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7019/6685803053_f05da303f4_o.jpg
http://tennis-buzz.com/files/2012/08/Uniqlo-Novak-Djokovic.jpg

okdude1992
10-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Djokovic looked best in Adidas. ST and UNIQLO are terrible imo.

Lemoned
10-07-2012, 03:03 AM
Why? So they can have two title winners in the same week!
Uniqlo boys won Beijing and Tokyo respectively. :)

Romismak
10-07-2012, 09:32 AM
o.k now Nole 3x champion in Beijing, wrote his name in mandarin on camera, he will be back in 2013 for sure. No way he will switch Beijing for Tokyo.

kishnabe
10-07-2012, 10:39 AM
He was trying to avoid Nishikori.....his sponsorship was on the line if he had lost to the second qlo.

SoBad
10-07-2012, 10:44 AM
They should open a store in Queens. Manhattan is boring.

BreakPoint
10-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Why? So they can have two title winners in the same week!
Uniqlo boys won Beijing and Tokyo respectively. :)
Yes, because UNIQLO knew last month before both tournaments started that Nishikori would win the Japan Open so that there was no need for Djokovic to be there so they told him to go play in China. :shock:

BreakPoint
10-07-2012, 02:20 PM
o.k now Nole 3x champion in Beijing, wrote his name in mandarin on camera, he will be back in 2013 for sure. No way he will switch Beijing for Tokyo.
Mandarin is a spoken language (dialect), not a written one. So he wrote his name using Chinese characters, not in Mandarin.

BreakPoint
10-07-2012, 02:22 PM
They should open a store in Queens. Manhattan is boring.
UNIQLO just opened a new store in the prime shopping area of San Francisco.

Gorecki
10-07-2012, 03:17 PM
yes.. i agree. no mixing Chow Mein and Nigiri-sushi....

oh the lack of tennis, what it does for people's sanity!!

Shangri La
10-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Djokovic played in Beijing because he wanted to do some GANGNAM Style!

http://i47.tinypic.com/2hq41vk.jpg

DanaKz
10-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Lord...UN must ban gangnam as a crime against humanity...

Rhino
10-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Andy Murray.

When did Djokovic last beat a fellow top-4 player?

Achilles82
10-08-2012, 03:04 AM
So a big Japanese company, UNIQLO, pays Djokovic millions of dollars but Djokovic snubs them by choosing to play in the China Open instead of the Japan Open?

Well, they pay him millions of dollars to wear UNIQLO clothing line. Were Djokovic plays is not of there business.

Why would Novak play Tokyo, if prize money for the winner in Beijing is over 220K more then in Tokyo?

Zarfot Z
10-08-2012, 03:27 AM
Well, they pay him millions of dollars to wear UNIQLO clothing line. Were Djokovic plays is not of there business.

Why would Novak play Tokyo, if prize money for the winner in Beijing is over 220K more then in Tokyo?

Because Murray's playing in Japan.

It's sort of like a pact, you see.

The top players decide to split the tournaments between them, so they can each win one without going through the other. Win win situation.

dr325i
10-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Andy Murray.

Who the f*ck cares about Murray.
Raonic kicked his *****, get over it ;)
This thread is about someone else.

BTW, lets see what happens in Shanghai...

dr325i
10-08-2012, 04:29 AM
Because Murray's playing in Japan.

It's sort of like a pact, you see.

The top players decide to split the tournaments between them, so they can each win one without going through the other. Win win situation.

Except that they forgot that Murray wins only under special circumstances ;)

nereis
10-08-2012, 04:42 AM
I doubt there is a covenant in his contract that states that he has to play the Japan Open. If there were, it would be bizarre and highly unusual.

Since he hasn't been dropped from UNIQLO for breach of contract I think we can infer that there was never such a clause.

Since he's getting the same amount of money regardless (assuming that Japan nor China is like the UK in taxing endorsement revenue, or that if they are that his expected Shanghai winnings will more than compensate for it) he may as well go for the bigger pot and the larger amount of points up for grabs.

Lemoned
10-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Now how do we know it was for avoiding Murray, when it can be easily the other way around? LOL
- Murray has played Beijing before, Nole hasn't play Tokyo yet.
- Both tournaments are in the same category but probably Beijing is the preferred one. Way bigger prize money (*discount the appearance fee factor), combined tournament in a larger venue. Easier to get to the next tournament(Shanghai)

I don't believe Nole chose Beijing over Tokyo just not to face Murray, nor vice versa. More likely they just picked whichever they wanted to play, and incidentally both are the defending champions respectively. Also don't forget that Nole confirmed the schedule just after Wimbledon (http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/07/Features/Beijing-Djokovic-Commits-To-Play.aspx). Before Olympics and US Open, last time they met Nole was the winner.

On a slightly different note, the fast courts of Japan open wouldn't be desirable conditions that Nole is looking for, when the other is a proven formula that worked for him.

SoBad
10-08-2012, 06:51 AM
UNIQLO just opened a new store in the prime shopping area of San Francisco.

There is a shopping area in San Francisco?

Gorecki
10-08-2012, 08:08 AM

And all while we wait for Daniel San to perform the crane stance kick...

dimeaxe
10-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Now how do we know it was for avoiding Murray, when it can be easily the other way around? LOL
- Both tournaments are in the same category but probably Beijing is the preferred one. Way bigger prize money (*discount the appearance fee factor), combined tournament in a larger venue. Easier to get to the next tournament(Shanghai)

I don't believe Nole chose Beijing over Tokyo just not to face Murray, nor vice versa. More likely they just picked whichever they wanted to play, and incidentally both are the defending champions respectively. Also don't forget that Nole confirmed the schedule just after Wimbledon (http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/07/Features/Beijing-Djokovic-Commits-To-Play.aspx). Before Olympics and US Open, last time they met Nole was the winner.

On a slightly different note, the fast courts of Japan open wouldn't be desirable conditions that Nole is looking for, when the other is a proven formula that worked for him.

Beijing is faster than Tokyo, lemonade:)

jhhachamp
10-08-2012, 08:51 AM
So a big Japanese company, UNIQLO, pays Djokovic millions of dollars but Djokovic snubs them by choosing to play in the China Open instead of the Japan Open? The executives at UNIQLO must be pretty ticked off. I would have assumed that they would have put into his sponsorship contract that he has to commit to playing in the Japan Open every year for marketing purposes so that UNIQLO can show him off to all the Japanese fans/customers that he wears a Japanese brand.

Since there is nothing in the news about anyone being ****ed off or Djokovic snubbing anyone, I think it is safe to assume that all of your assumptions are inaccurate.

1. Sure, UNIOLO would like him to play in their tournament, but it seems like that was not a part of the agreement.

2. The contract he signed with UNIOLO was probably for a lot of money, but likely not enough money for Djokovic to commit to playing the Tokyo tournament.

3. Beijing probably offered Djokovic a lot of money for him to play there as well.

All-rounder
10-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Andy Murray.

Federer at RG semi-finals.

Yes, it's been that long.........

get it in
10-08-2012, 11:25 AM
The tournament is over now but I think 2 good reasons Djokovic played in China is 1) The bigger prize money pot as one poster mentioned and 2) He's played there the last 2 years (now 3 years). Just my opinion, though. Not sure about appearance fees, but that could be another reason. I haven't looked into it. As far as rankings point go, the points in Beijing are the same as Tokyo.

BreakPoint
10-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Union Square.

SoBad
10-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Union Square.

They set up a shop in the lobby of hotel Nikko?

ruerooo
10-08-2012, 02:33 PM
If he were still sponsored by Tacchini, would you want him to play only in Europe?

Only in Italy?

:roll:

Mainad
10-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Murray was the defending champion in Tokyo which is why he probably chose to play there.

I don't believe Nole chose Beijing over Tokyo just not to face Murray, nor vice versa. More likely they just picked whichever they wanted to play, and incidentally both are the defending champions respectively.

Djokovic wasn't defending champion in Beijing. He won it in '09 and '10 but didn't play it last year. Berdych won it last year but interestingly chose not to defend his title and played in Tokyo instead.

Before Olympics and US Open, last time they met Nole was the winner.

He is 2-3 v Murray in match-ups this year, 8-7 overall.

3fees
10-08-2012, 02:41 PM

Djokovic was playing in the China Open before he got sponsored by uni qlo.

BreakPoint
10-08-2012, 02:52 PM
If he were still sponsored by Tacchini, would you want him to play only in Europe?

Only in Italy?

:roll:
Who said anything about "only"? :confused:

But if tournaments in Japan and China are happening at the same time, yes, I would expect a big Japanese sponsor who pays you many millions of dollars would want you to play in Japan.

Gonzo_style
10-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Who said anything about "only"? :confused:

But if tournaments in Japan and China are happening at the same time, yes, I would expect a big Japanese sponsor who pays you many millions of dollars would want you to play in Japan.

Why Federer played Roterdam and Dubai and not San Jose and Delray Beach :)

Lemoned
10-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Beijing is faster than Tokyo, lemonade:)
I just found that both tournament resurfaced the courts last year, so I'm actually not so sure how the court speed has changed. Though until 2010 (Nole didn't play Beijing last year) Tokyo was known as one of the fastest courts on the calendar and apparently Nole felt comfortable on Beijing courts.

http://tennisinsight.com/tournament.php?tournament_id=17683
http://tennisinsight.com/tournament.php?tournament_id=17684

Murray was the defending champion in Tokyo which is why he probably chose to play there.
I know he was and I don't think there's anything strange there. What I'm saying is if you look up their tournament history, one has played both and the other just one. So assuming the reason that the latter player chose the only tournament that he's played before, and not only that but won the title two times in a row, again was mainly to avoid a certain player sounds less plausible. That's it.

Djokovic wasn't defending champion in Beijing. He won it in '09 and '10 but didn't play it last year. Berdych won it last year but interestingly chose not to defend his title and played in Tokyo instead. Again I know and mean it 'effectively'. He may not be technically the defending champion but the tournament organizers and the crowd treated him like one and he also seemed to consider himself that way. IMO, it mattered when he made the decision.

He is 2-3 v Murray in match-ups this year, 8-7 overall.
Back then (July 9th), the last match between the two was Miami final and he was leading the match-up by 2-1 in this season.

You seemed to misunderstand my comment greatly. As I said with 'nor vice versa', I really don't think either of them cared about which tournament the other boy entered. Simply there was no clear motivation to do that at that point and both choices looked equally logical to me.

BreakPoint
10-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Why Federer played Roterdam and Dubai and not San Jose and Delray Beach :)
Um...Rotterdam and Dubai are ATP 500 level tournaments and San Jose and Delray Beach are only ATP 250 level tournaments. What would be the point of Federer playing in a 250 level tournament? Too much competition for him at that level? How often does Federer play in any ATP 250 level events? Maybe he should start playing challengers, too? In any case, he plays in plenty of tournaments in the U.S., e.g., US Open, Indian Wells, Miami, Cincinnati, etc. How many tournaments does Djokovic play in Japan?

Gonzo_style
10-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Um...Rotterdam and Dubai are ATP 500 level tournaments and San Jose and Delray Beach are only ATP 250 level tournaments. What would be the point of Federer playing in a 250 level tournament? Too much competition for him at that level? How often does Federer play in any ATP 250 level events? Maybe he should start playing challengers, too? In any case, he plays in plenty of tournaments in the U.S., e.g., US Open, Indian Wells, Miami, Cincinnati, etc. How many tournaments does Djokovic play in Japan?

Ok i know that you are angry because Djok won Beijing, gain 500 points and probably will finish year on Nr1, it's ok let it go....

Gonzo_style
10-08-2012, 06:55 PM
How many tournaments does Djokovic play in Japan?

How many tournaments Murray play in Germany? :)

dimeaxe
10-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Here's some news from his fb.

Believe it or not, I arrived to Japan and tried the best sashimi ever in one traditional restaurant in Tokyo. I wish Marian was with me, he would go crazy about this food. So tasty :) Tomorrow is a big day for me and my apparel sponsor UNIQLO, and I can't wait to share the news with you! Stay tuned!
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/644712_462612617124928_1072417779_n.jpg