PDA

View Full Version : Why is Djokovic far more popular in China than in USA?

10-06-2012, 02:20 AM
What do you think?

Romismak
10-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Donīt know how you measure his popularity in CHina and in US, but in US he had that Roddick incident in 2008 and always they have their players + Roger is loved there

In China on other hand tennis is developing recently, Nole is 2x Beijing champion + won Shanghai 2008 when it was Masters cup... donīt know really

Nathaniel_Near
10-06-2012, 05:28 AM
Bad taste.

augustobt
10-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Donīt know how you measure his popularity in CHina and in US, but in US he had that Roddick incident in 2008 and always they have their players + Roger is loved there

In China on other hand tennis is developing recently, Nole is 2x Beijing champion + won Shanghai 2008 when it was Masters cup... donīt know reallyDon't forget his medal in '08.

silencer1
10-06-2012, 06:12 AM
I think in China they love all the top players equal, so no matter who is on the court (Fed, Rafa, Nole), they will worship him and admire his skills. I think they are like that in all sports.

In US, that is not the case. They pick their idol and stick to him, never cheering for his opponent. Even if his opponent is playing superb.
They love winners like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and Roger Federer.

TTMR
10-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Nobody in America knows who Djokovic is.

Evan77
10-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Nobody in America knows who Djokovic is.
not true at all. I travel a lot and Americans know very well who Djokovic is. Same in our beautiful hockey obsessed Canada. All of my friends/coworkers know very well who Djokovic is.

so save your BS for someone else.

slowfox
10-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Bad taste.

Good food though. What about the UK..?? :twisted:

T-ennis 888
10-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Good food though. What about the UK..?? :twisted:

Bad food :) (joking!) Nole is well respected here, despite this summer's media love-in with Andy.

TTMR
10-06-2012, 07:10 AM
not true at all. I travel a lot and Americans know very well who Djokovic is. Same in our beautiful hockey obsessed Canada. All of my friends/coworkers know very well who Djokovic is.

so save your BS for someone else.

Yes, probably because you told them. You are fixated on the guy.

Tennis players are known and discussed by serious tennis fans, who are a marginal, irrelevant group in North America. Casual sports fans (people who like the big four American team sports) generally know nothing about tennis and will stare at you vacantly if you utter the name "Djokovic".

RF20Lennon
10-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Djokovic had that fiasco with Roddick in 2008 remember??

Evan77
10-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Yes, probably because you told them. You are fixated on the guy.

Tennis players are known and discussed by serious tennis fans, who are a marginal, irrelevant group in North America. Casual sports fans (people who like the big four American team sports) generally know nothing about tennis and will stare at you vacantly if you utter the name "Djokovic".
nope. I didn't tell anything to anybody. It's the fact for anyone who loves any kind of sports. I think you are underestimating Americans. I don't know, maybe I was lucky enough to meet some smart and educated Yanks :). again, many people in Canada know very well who he is although they don't watch tennis on a regular basis.

now I'm not saying Novak is a household name in the States, of course not, but again people who love sport know who he is.

As for China vs. USA, not really sure how you measure this popularity thing. i think, in general, tennis is much more established and popular in the States than China, but China is getting there.
cheers,

Limpinhitter
10-06-2012, 07:39 AM
What do you think?

How do you know Djokovic is more popular in China than in the U.S.? Is that what "the experts" say? Hahaha!

10-08-2012, 09:18 AM
How do you know Djokovic is more popular in China than in the U.S.?
http://english.blic.rs/Sports/9084/Novak-Djokovic-given-royal-reception-in-Beijing

09-27-2013, 06:39 AM
https://twitter.com/DjokerNole/status/383535540404240384

Roddick85
09-27-2013, 06:41 AM
I'm pretty sure the past events between Djokovic and Roddick at the US Open a few years ago didn't help his popularity in the USA.

Backspin1183
09-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Well, because most Americans don't care about tennis players other than the Williams, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

Maximagq
09-27-2013, 07:13 AM
He is an Eastern European. Many Americans are wary of those from the former Eastern Bloc because of the Cold War. Look at Ivan Lendl. Eastern European players like Mandlikova, Navratilova, Ljubicic, Ancic, Lendl, and Djokovic were never really in favor the U.S.

mbm0912
09-27-2013, 07:40 AM
I'm pretty sure the past events between Djokovic and Roddick at the US Open a few years ago didn't help his popularity in the USA.

Talk about a guy that was tough to like...

Andres
09-27-2013, 07:45 AM
... meh

(10 chars. Edit)

Sentinel
09-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Joker is far more popular everywhere than other places where he is less popular.

Mainad
09-27-2013, 08:09 AM
I must admit I couldn't help noticing how the Chinese audience seemed to be rooting for Djokovic in last year's Shanghai final against Murray. Despite being the 2 time defending champ in Shanghai, they sighed every time Murray got to a match point (there were 5 of them) and cheered each time he failed to convert one. When Djokovic finally won, they went wild.

So it seems there must be some truth to it. Maybe it's because he's world #1 or maybe they just find him sexier? ;)

As for the US, I'm guessing for tennis fans there may still be some residue left from his well-publicised spat with Roddick, the all-American hero, at the 2008 US Open. His Serbian background including memories of the Balkan war when US planes bombed Belgrade and the uncertainty many US commentators seem to have about pronouncing hiis name (is it DjOkovic or DjAAkovic) might contribute to make him appear a bit more alien and exotic than, say, Roger and Rafa with their more familiar and more re-assuring Swiss and Spanish backgrounds.

Just my twopennyworth.

Ledigs
09-27-2013, 08:31 AM
I do think that there is a bit of Western European bias in the U.S.

Sid_Vicious
09-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Can't just single out the US. Djokovic is hardly a media darling in England, France or Australia.

Djokovic gets great support in Italy though.

FreeBird
09-27-2013, 08:44 AM
He is an Eastern European. Many Americans are wary of those from the former Eastern Bloc because of the Cold War. Look at Ivan Lendl. Eastern European players like Mandlikova, Navratilova, Ljubicic, Ancic, Lendl, and Djokovic were never really in favor the U.S.

This pretty much sums up 'Murica.. :)

Sid_Vicious
09-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Ancic and Ljubicic? What do you expect? Those two guys were never good enough to be household names.

Sid_Vicious
09-27-2013, 08:49 AM
This pretty much sums up 'Murica.. :)

It's not like Djokovic is the crowd favorite anywhere else either.

Mainad
09-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Can't just single out the US. Djokovic is hardly a media darling in England, France or Australia.

Well, as far as the UK goes, he is perceived as the main rival to Murray and so, while greatly respected as a player and for his achievements, he is unlikely to ever be a media darling here while he is competing with Murray for the big titles, especially at Wimbledon. Heck, it's only comparatively recently that Murray himself became a media darling here!

Djokovic gets great support in Italy though.

He speaks Italian fluently and he and his girlfriend, Jelena Ristic seem to spend a lot of time there from what I can gather (Jelena studied in Italy and earned her Master's degree in Management there).

Sid_Vicious
09-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Well, as far as the UK goes, he is perceived as the main rival to Murray and so, while greatly respected as a player and for his achievements, he is unlikely to ever be a media darling here while he is competing with Murray for the big titles, especially at Wimbledon. Heck, it's only comparatively recently that Murray himself became a media darling here!

He speaks Italian fluently and he and his girlfriend, Jelena seem to spend a lot of time there from what I can gather (Jelena studied in Italy and graduated there).

Its not like Djokovic gets booed at the USO yearly. Djokovic is greatly respected as a player even here. That 2008 incident is all water under the bridge now. Trust me, nobody has an axe to grind with Djokovic. Remember the 2010 USO final? The crowd was simply charmed by Djokovic's positive attitude towards the end of that match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ulqiqgGkFw

Graf1stClass
09-27-2013, 09:26 AM
remember 2011? they hammered him until his first lucky GP saving return.

newpball
09-27-2013, 09:32 AM
What do you think?
What am I thinking?

Well the first question is how on earth do you conclude that. Tennis in China is very insignificant.

topher
09-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Well the first question is how on earth do you conclude that. Tennis in China is very insignificant.

This post seemed relevant to that: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=7783523&postcount=17123.

I think another poster might've been right as well. Not a huge amount of tennis fans, and most have committed themselves to Roger or Rafa (or Murray in the U.K.), not a whole lot left to jump on Novak's bandwagon. But some of China's tennis fans may be relatively fresh and thus happy to jump on whoever's the best right now.

newpball
09-27-2013, 09:57 AM
So a couple of people wanting to make a picture of a tennis player at the airport is indicative of the popularity of tennis in China?

In China there are a few private clubs that have some courts but by far most people have no access to a tennis court, they hardly know the existence of the game let alone the name of a single player.

Nextman916
09-27-2013, 10:03 AM
So a couple of people wanting to make a picture of a tennis player at the airport is indicative of the popularity of tennis in China?

In China there are a few private clubs that have some courts but by far most people have no access to a tennis court, they hardly know the existence of the game let alone the name of a single player.

This post obviously shows you have no first hand experience to what your saying. Please save flexing the notoriously ignorant californian world view.

LarryZhang
09-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Probably because he's less popular in the US...

And also, Djokovic knows how to please the "random audience" in China, while other guys are just being normal.

topher
09-27-2013, 10:14 AM
So a couple of people...

I presume you can't count past two then? :oops: I wasn't even making a point lol, just thought it was relevant. Take from it what you will. If anything I agreed with you, there's not a whole lot of tennis fans in China right now (at least to my knowledge).

newpball
09-27-2013, 10:19 AM
This post obviously shows you have no first hand experience to what your saying. Please save flexing the notoriously ignorant californian world view.
I lived in China.

sureshs
09-27-2013, 10:31 AM
There is a glamour associated with the right kind of "foreigner" in some Asian countries.

See the movie Lost in Translation some time.

DRII
09-27-2013, 11:18 AM

you may be on to something here...

DRII
09-27-2013, 11:20 AM

please!

:rolleyes:

you're ascribing way too much significance on to Roddick...

BlueB
09-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Yugoslavia was NEVER a part of the Eastern Block... Although, an average American doesn't know/want to know that.
But, Djokovic is from a nation demonised by Western media :(

On the bright side:
China has 5 times the population of US, so it's easy for him to have more fans there ;)
Yugoslavian and Serbian governments always had very good relationship with China. Some parts of Belgrade have turned into a Little China. Those guys travel back, talk to the families, etc. Some of their love for Nole would be transfered back home.
Djokovic tries to address Chinese spectators in Chinese a bit. They love it.

lethalfang
09-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Why is Djokovic far more popular in China than in USA?
1) Tennis is the third most popular sport on Chinese television.
2) He's not a Japanese. Chinese only hate Japanese.

Vlad_C
09-27-2013, 11:46 AM
First, I am surprised to hear that Djokovic is popular in China. Or anywhere else for that matter, outside of Serbia.
His lack of fan support goes back to his personality, his family background, his embarrassing efforts to make himself more "likeable"...
There's no point in going over this one more time, it's been discussed here in many threads over and over again.

So why is he popular in stadiums China (if indeed he is)?
For one thing, I believe Chinese tennis spectators might not be particularly familiar with all the little things in a players background.
They see him play, and that's all they know about him, and they admire the way he plays.
Also they probably buy his BS. They see him dancing, and trying hard to crack jokes and seem like a nice guy, and who knows, maybe they buy it.
Due to cultural differences too, it might be a bit more difficult for them to judge a foreigner's character based on the limited information they have about him.

DRII
09-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Yugoslavia was NEVER a part of the Eastern Block... Although, an average American doesn't know/want to know that.
But, Djokovic is from a nation demonised by Western media :(

On the bright side:
China has 5 times the population of US, so it's easy for him to have more fans there ;)
Yugoslavian and Serbian governments always had very good relationship with China. Some parts of Belgrade have turned into a Little China. Those guys travel back, talk to the families, etc. Some of their love for Nole would be transfered back home.
Djokovic tries to address Chinese spectators in Chinese a bit. They love it.

sure, its the 'western's media's' fault that Serbia has a less than sterling reputation :rolleyes:

rewriting (or really, ignoring) history much?

Gorecki
09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
sure, its the 'western's media' fault that Serbia has a less than sterling reputation :rolleyes:

Racism at its best

DRII
09-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Racism at its best

:confused:

not that i have any clue of what you're trying to insinuate...

but FYI, Serbian is not a race.

you can hop back in the closet now...

Gorecki
09-27-2013, 12:06 PM
:confused:

not that i have any clue of what you're trying to insinuate...

but FYI, Serbian is not a race.

you can hop back in the closet now...

Oh please. ...

heninfan99
09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
I don't know how popular he is in China but he is a great, respectful loser but totally obnoxious when he wins. This rubs many the wrong way.

He used to play more exciting tennis but to compete with Rafa he developed a diff. style which is not everyone's cup of tea.

BlueB
09-27-2013, 12:12 PM
sure, its the 'western's media' fault that Serbia has a less than sterling reputation :rolleyes:
Study the sources beyond the Western mainstream media and find out for yourself.
Study the history, at least 100 years back, preferably about 1000 back.
Also, compare with the doings of USA from the inception, to find out who truely has history of aggression.
Also find out who was the main ally of the West in the world major conflicts, in the Balkans and Eastern Europian region.

Other then this, I won't go into politics any further.

Incognito
09-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Even in China, he is not more popular than Federer and Nadal.

Incognito
09-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Saw an episode of "Person of Interest" about a month ago and there was this albanian woman being protected from "barbaric" serbs trying to assasinate her. I mean, the narrative in U.S media is quite negative when it comes to people from the balkans. People should just move on. Forget the past, there are at least 2 sides in every story. Time to bury the axe people!

DRII
09-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Study the sources beyond the Western mainstream media and find out for yourself.
Study the history, at least 100 years back, preferably about 1000 back.
Also, compare with the doings of USA from the inception, to find out who truely has history of aggression.
Also find out who was the main ally of the West in the world major conflicts, in the Balkans and Eastern Europian region.

Other then this, I won't go into politics any further.

uhm, you can go back to the inception of any nation and find huge faults :rolleyes: how do you think most nation's are formed in the first place (in war and/or often bloody conquest) :confused:

I'm talking about relatively recent history of some very heinous things, that are rarely brought up until certain sympathizers start to cry about how Serbia is portrayed, completely ignoring context...

BlueB
09-27-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm talking about relatively recent history of some very heinous things, that are rarely brought up until certain sympathizers start to cry about how Serbia is portrayed, completely ignoring context...
Then study just from the 90' on. Use the sources beyond the mainstream media too. Then come back and tell us how many countries got attacked by Serbia and how many by US, in that period.

FreeBird
09-27-2013, 02:29 PM
It's not like Djokovic is the crowd favorite anywhere else either.

I believe China has a penchant for Djokovic. If they had FB and Twitter followers, his count would have been pretty high. Also, crowd is warm to him everywhere except US and Madrid. He can't draw crowd against Fed but in Nadal's case it is pretty much even. India is one area where Djokovic needs to look. We people are bandwagoners. A visit involving some drama to India by Djokovic and Bamm, people will go gaga over it.

FreeBird
09-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Saw an episode of "Person of Interest" about a month ago and there was this albanian woman being protected from "barbaric" serbs trying to assasinate her. I mean, the narrative in U.S media is quite negative when it comes to people from the balkans. People should just move on. Forget the past, there are at least 2 sides in every story. Time to bury the axe people!

But you yourself hate him. While about shedding your prejudices, it is easier said than done, 'Swedish' girl.

oneness
09-27-2013, 03:02 PM
I believe China has a penchant for Djokovic. If they had FB and Twitter followers, his count would have been pretty high. Also, crowd is warm to him everywhere except US and Madrid.He can't draw crowd against Fed but in Nadal's case it is pretty much even. India is one area where Djokovic needs to look. We people are bandwagoners. A visit involving some drama to India by Djokovic and Bamm, people will go gaga over it.

This article disagrees. It is one perception though, i am not saying it is the absolute truth.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9655822/the-us-open-men-final

Goosehead
09-27-2013, 03:28 PM
tennis is a boom sport in china..

hence the Asian swing of the tour starting up in 2009.

china are coming in from the old style communist cold..tennis and football are benefiting from this and 1.3 billion population..

not sure about the djokovic thing though :confused: is he really massive in china ??, but why not though. don't see why fedal have to have all the global cake

Incognito
09-27-2013, 04:03 PM
But you yourself hate him. While about shedding your prejudices, it is easier said than done, 'Swedish' girl.

I don't dislike djokovic because he's serbian. I don't like his personality, get it? I like Jankovic, Ivanovic and Seles. You are so freakin' wrong!

FreeBird
09-28-2013, 12:28 AM
I don't dislike djokovic because he's serbian. I don't like his personality, get it? I like Jankovic, Ivanovic and Seles. You are so freakin' wrong!

I am not saying that you dislike him due to him being a Serbian. I just said that it is easy to associate yourself with a bias but difficult to shed it. Like you have your's related to his personality, Americans have the same related to his nationality.

sureshs
09-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Joker is far more popular everywhere than other places where he is less popular.

That is because he is invincible whenever he wins

Nextman916
09-28-2013, 04:53 AM
I lived in China.

Yeah me too, I've taken 10 trips there this year as well. I can guarantee you from metropolis to countryside, everybody knows what 网球 is.

So either you exaggerated the situation to try and prove a point, or you were too busy spending your time there in an westernized bubble to actually notice the reality of things.

Edit for continuing my argument: Think about ping pong and badminton, and tennis being the cousin of those sports. I rest my case.

09-28-2013, 05:03 AM

China Central Television is reporting tennis is now the third-most popular sport it broadcasts, coming in behind only football and basketball http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90779/7971729.html Very insignificant? You're talking nonsense.

Even in China, he is not more popular than Federer and Nadal.

1. So what? Adolf Hitler was the most popular politician in the 1930s Germany. Masses (the common people generally) are stupid so it's not a compliment if you are the most popular.

2. Your statement is off topic because we debate here why is Djokovic far more popular in China than in USA.

Gorecki
09-28-2013, 05:09 AM
Godwin is in the house....

newpball
09-28-2013, 08:01 AM
...you were too busy spending your time there in an westernized bubble to actually notice the reality of things.

If I were I would probably have concluded that tennis is popular in China. :)

Think about ping pong and badminton, and tennis being the cousin of those sports. I rest my case.
Table tennis is indeed very popular in China and badminton is fairly popular. But tennis is certainly not.

How many tennis facilities you think there are in large cities not including Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong? I can tell you many have zero. Yes you can have a city of half a million people, which is a small city in Chinese terms, and have zero tennis courts.

bullfan
09-28-2013, 08:05 AM

Completely disagree.

bullfan
09-28-2013, 08:09 AM
I believe China has a penchant for Djokovic. If they had FB and Twitter followers, his count would have been pretty high. Also, crowd is warm to him everywhere except US and Madrid. He can't draw crowd against Fed but in Nadal's case it is pretty much even. India is one area where Djokovic needs to look. We people are bandwagoners. A visit involving some drama to India by Djokovic and Bamm, people will go gaga over it.

Doesn't Nadals foundation do a lot of work in India?

bullfan
09-28-2013, 08:24 AM
In the US, 60 Minutes did a segment on Novak. To the best of my knowledge, that isn't true for either Rafa or Federer. 60 minutes did a piece on the Bryan Brothers as well a few years earlier.

60 minutes is a popular show, so it was very good publicity for Novak.

Maximagq
09-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Completely disagree.

What's your take on Djokovic's popularity?

bullfan
09-28-2013, 10:30 AM
What's your take on Djokovic's popularity?

I don't agree that Novak is discriminated in the US based on being from Serbia.

Novak isn't as popular due to the huge fan bases that Nadal and Federer have. Just because he had a phenomenal year in 2011, doesn't mean every jumped on the Novak bandwagon. Fedal is just simply more popular.

Chico
09-28-2013, 10:31 AM
I don't agree that Novak is discriminated in the US based on being from Serbia.

Novak isn't as popular due to the huge fan bases that Nadal and Federer have. Just because he had a phenomenal year in 2011, doesn't mean every jumped on the Novak bandwagon. Fedal is just simply more popular.

Fed yes. Dal no.

bullfan
09-28-2013, 10:33 AM
China Central Television is reporting tennis is now the third-most popular sport it broadcasts, coming in behind only football and basketball http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90779/7971729.html Very insignificant? You're talking nonsense.

1. So what? Adolf Hitler was the most popular politician in the 1930s Germany. Masses (the common people generally) are stupid so it's not a compliment if you are the most popular.

2. Your statement is off topic because we debate here why is Djokovic far more popular in China than in USA.

Really, there is no reason to make inane comparisons to Hitler and tennis players that don't make sense.

bullfan
09-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Fed yes. Dal no.

Overall, Both Fed and Nadal are more popular. While Novak had a phenomenal year in 2011, getting to number 1 in the rankings doesn't mean the most fans.

Tennis fans get behind a player and generally stick. Fed and Nadal have been the most popular in the states outside of american players. Novak's ascension in the rankings haven't changed that.

Just because you don't like Nadal doesn't mean that you should ignore what's reality when it comes to who's the most popular.

10is
09-28-2013, 10:42 AM
In the US, 60 Minutes did a segment on Novak. To the best of my knowledge, that isn't true for either Rafa or Federer.

Federer had his 1st appearance on 60 minutes back in 2005, and I believe he has had a couple more since then.

10is
09-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Fed yes. Dal no.

That is unbiasedly true.

tennisaddict
09-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Novak is fun during exho. But his on court demeanour and interviews need improvement.

He has a lot of potential given his personality. Just up to him to make use of it.

Tsonga, Del Po, Federer all have some characteristics that people like.

clayqueen
09-28-2013, 11:15 AM
http://english.blic.rs/Sports/9084/Novak-Djokovic-given-royal-reception-in-Beijing

Last year there was no Nadal so they had to make the most of what they had. When Nadal is around, Novak doesn't get a look-in. That's the true, no?

bullfan
09-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Federer had his 1st appearance on 60 minutes back in 2005, and I believe he has had a couple more since then.

I found 2005, but doubt if there was more than 1 more, even if I couldn't find it anywhere. It's not normal for US CBS 60 Minutes to normally do a person more than twice unless it's someone like the President.

10is
09-28-2013, 11:59 AM
I found 2005, but doubt if there was more than 1 more, even if I couldn't find it anywhere. It's not normal for US CBS 60 Minutes to normally do a person more than twice unless it's someone like the President.

You're probably right - a cursory search didn't turn up anything beyond 2005 for me either.

DRII
09-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Then study just from the 90' on. Use the sources beyond the mainstream media too. Then come back and tell us how many countries got attacked by Serbia and how many by US, in that period.

'ATTACKED'...

obviously, you can't or won't discern between what kind of attacks.

BTW, the U.S. is the lone superpower in the timespan you speak of and with that distinction comes certain responsibilities that can require military action! not that I always agree with those decisions; completely different from what horrible happenings in your neck of the woods back then...

BlueB
09-28-2013, 01:19 PM
'ATTACKED'...
obviously, you can't or won't discern between what kind of attacks.
BTW, the U.S. is the lone superpower in the timespan you speak of and with that distinction comes certain responsibilities that can require military action! not that I always agree with those decisions; completely different from what horrible happenings in your neck of the woods back then...
Every attack on a sovereign country is an attack. It is prohibited by international law, without a resolution by United Nations. This is exactly the record US has got. Including the use of deplated uranium, cluster bombing, attacking civilian targets, bombning the ambasies of uninvolved countries, and many other swineries.
Menwhile, the only times that Serbia attacked another county were in 1330s and in 1885. All the rest, deffensive wars, latest one against NATO aggression in 1999.
As I said, study the history and all the sources.

DRII
09-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Every attack on a sovereign country is an attack. It is prohibited by international law, without a resolution by United Nations. This is exactly the record US has got. Including the use of deplated uranium, cluster bombing, attacking civilian targets, bombning the ambasies of uninvolved countries, and many other swineries.
Menwhile, the only times that Serbia attacked another county were in 1330s and in 1885. All the rest, deffensive wars, latest one against NATO aggression in 1999.
As I said, study the history and all the sources.

obviously the only history you're interested in, is that without context...

funny how many of you Europeans complain so much about America,yet depend so much on the U.S....

Chico
09-28-2013, 02:38 PM
obviously the only history you're interested in, is that without context...

funny how many of you Europeans complain so much about America,yet depend so much on the U.S....

Please stop talking about something that you know nothing about.

Nextman916
09-28-2013, 03:09 PM
If I were I would probably have concluded that tennis is popular in China.

What? Where in the world did you live in China? Your posts show a complete ignorance to what the reality is there. First off, out of the expat community in Hong Kong, Shanghai, AND Beijing there is maybe 1-2% that even play/watch tennis. Trust me I'm very familiar with those networks and have tried many times to find hitting partners. Not to mention their presence at the city courts is almost non existent.

How many tennis facilities you think there are in large cities not including Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong? I can tell you many have zero. Yes you can have a city of half a million people, which is a small city in Chinese terms, and have zero tennis courts.

Again wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. All of China's second tier cities are filled with tennis courts (I hesitate to even call them second tier as many of their economies topple US major cities), and third tier cities are of no shortage in courts as well. I'm not even going to dig up this information for you, as it's such a ridiculously easy thing to prove. At any rate, its hard to believe you ever spent any time in China. I think this argument's over.

BTW in case you didn't notice what 5555 posted on the last page:

veroniquem
09-28-2013, 03:15 PM
What do you think?
Absolutely worthless thread without stats. Unless you have links to surveys/opinion polls made in both countries about the popularity of specific tennis players, you have no idea how popular any player is in either country. Subjective impression is not a scientific parameter.

FreeBird
09-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Doesn't Nadals foundation do a lot of work in India?

Nadal and Federer had come to India for their humanitarian works. Murray does not care about PR. But for a guy like Djokovic who does not miss a single moment to hog the limelight, this is one trick that he has missed. 'Nadal-Federer' thing was not such a big thing before 2006-07 in India. But their visits certainly contributed to changing the course.

bullfan
09-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Absolutely worthless thread without stats. Unless you have links to surveys/opinion polls made in both countries about the popularity of specific tennis players, you have no idea how popular any player is in either country. Subjective impression is not a scientific parameter.

There was an article with an interview after USOpen to the head of espn, who said, the Williams, Fed, and now Nadal are the big draws. There was also an article, which was posted here that indicated there was more Nadal apparel sold at the USOpen than any other player, including Fed.

Interestedly, there was also an article saying that Murray had higher name recognition in the US, even above Fed. I would attribute that as a recent knowledge due to major press over Wimbledon as well as his win at the Olympics. Djokovic rated well below the others.

veroniquem
09-28-2013, 03:46 PM
An article based on what though? That's why I said, show me an opinion poll and we can start talking.

bullfan
09-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Nadal and Federer had come to India for their humanitarian works. Murray does not care about PR. But for a guy like Djokovic who does not miss a single moment to hog the limelight, this is one trick that he has missed. 'Nadal-Federer' thing was not such a big thing before 2006-07 in India. But their visits certainly contributed to changing the course.

I thought Feds foundation is in Africa. Of course, his foundation is likely far bigger than Nadal's. Google says Fed also helps in India. But, the bulk of Feds charity is in Africa, that's what he discusses mostly. I only seeing that discussed on Tennis Channel, including a panel about pros giving back.

Murray gives his money back in taxes, he pays the most in taxes of the top 4, with Nadal second. Both Fed and Novak have residences in tax havens.

I also understand that both Novaks and Nadals GFs are in charge or work with their charities. Novaks is more based in Serbia from my understanding.

newpball
09-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Trust me I'm very familiar with those networks.
I am not surprised and actually proves my point.

All of China's second tier cities are filled with tennis courts
Filled with tennis courts?

Sure....:rolleyes:

DRII
09-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Please stop talking about something that you know nothing about.

you've been been outspoken with your many grievances, so I'm not surprised.

learn from mistakes...

Nextman916
09-28-2013, 05:35 PM
I am not surprised and actually proves my point.

Filled with tennis courts?

Sure....:rolleyes:

Para-quoting and nitpicking nuances. How about addressing my points? You're really scrambling to get some leverage huh? I'm sorry but you were proven wrong over and over again. Hopefully next time you choose to post or speak on erroneous information in your life, you think twice.

newpball
09-28-2013, 06:03 PM
How about addressing my points?
What can I say?

We seem to have very different experiences. :)

Second tier cities in China first and foremost have a lot of apartments, the new ones all going into the sky, a lot of small stores, businesses, big government buildings and a lot of roads. And that is basically it, there is not much space for anything else. But each city always has several big squares/parks, the new ones are often very impressive. But those squares/parks do not have tennis courts. Many go to those squares to line dance, scarf dance, do taiji chuan (although much less than many uninformed Westerner tends to think) or other group activities or just to walk or play with a kite. Young folks like running, table tennis, skateboarding, play basketball, and billiards is very popular.

But tennis? No.

09-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Last year there was no Nadal so they had to make the most of what they had. When Nadal is around, Novak doesn't get a look-in. That's the true, no?

No. Look here https://twitter.com/DjokerNole/status/383535540404240384

Unless you have links to surveys/opinion polls made in both countries about the popularity of specific tennis players, you have no idea how popular any player is in either country.

Sufficient evidence has been seen on this thread.

by this you mean, chinese people are generally more stupid than americans because djokovic is more popular there? Is that what you're trying to say?

No, it's racist to say that. Whether you like or not, being the most popular is not a compliment (Adolf Hitler was the most popular politician in the 1930s Germany). The fact that Federer and Nadal are more popular than Djokovic proves nothing.

And once again I remind you that this discussion is off topic. This thread is about why is Djokovic far more popular in China than USA. If you want to continue the above debate open a new thread.

Tennis in China is very insignificant.

China Central Television is reporting tennis is now the third-most popular sport it broadcasts, coming in behind only football and basketball http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90779/7971729.html

newpball
09-29-2013, 09:39 AM
NThis thread is about why is Djokovic far more popular in China than USA.
Which is why this thread is ridiculous. Tennis is a completely insignificant sport in China.

swizzy
09-29-2013, 09:42 AM
is chico Chinese?

09-30-2013, 06:10 AM
YOU said, the masses are generally stupid and therefore being popular is not a compliment. Therefore because you claim djokovic is more popular in China than in the U.S, you are indirectly saying chinese people are more stupid than americans.

Also, you need to put the word 'popularity' in context because Albert Einstein being popular among his fellow scientists and ordinary people is a testament to his brilliance. Popularity can be both positive and negative but in your moronic way of thinking, popularity equals negativity.

I'm going to answer here http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=478696

Nextman916
09-30-2013, 10:19 AM
What can I say?

We seem to have very different experiences. :)

Second tier cities in China first and foremost have a lot of apartments, the new ones all going into the sky, a lot of small stores, businesses, big government buildings and a lot of roads. And that is basically it, there is not much space for anything else. But each city always has several big squares/parks, the new ones are often very impressive. But those squares/parks do not have tennis courts. Many go to those squares to line dance, scarf dance, do taiji chuan (although much less than many uninformed Westerner tends to think) or other group activities or just to walk or play with a kite. Young folks like running, table tennis, skateboarding, play basketball, and billiards is very popular.

But tennis? No.

Your post screams of Californian trying to sound informed, like a horribly paraphrased version of a free tourist guide. I'm sorry but I'm done.

5555 - "China Central Television is reporting tennis is now the third-most popular sport it broadcasts, coming in behind only football and basketball" http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90779/7971729.html

TheF1Bob
09-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Asia respect talent. The yanks respect shenanigans and silliness.