PDA

View Full Version : Transform Rac into Djok specs.

Recon
10-07-2012, 12:09 PM
How would you go upon transforming a Head Microgel Radical midplus into djokovics specs?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441393

According to those ^^ STRUNG specs, he has a racquet of 358grams, 60 flex and a swingweight of 370. I don't know his balance point, so if anyone knows, chip in. (Also it looks like djokovic uses a leather grip, take that into account as well)

Also extra question, could you do it to a youtek prestige pro? how about youtek prestige midplus? You would have to take into account the cap gromments. That would be interesting!!

Thanks, I would like detailed information on lead tape placement, how much, how little, etc. Should be fun.

Meaghan
10-07-2012, 12:22 PM
You need to look at fabfed's thread in pro racket and gear. He has Noles racket and shows his lead placement in the hoop. His racket weighs 359g and is about 4pts hl off the top of my head, SW has not been measured but people believe its in excess of 370. Also flex has been reported to be around 51ra....

Recon
10-07-2012, 12:39 PM
That flex rating is off, that thread I linked in my first post is his latest racquet, flex rating showing to be 60. While, FabFeds thread is awesome, I don't recall there instructionals on how to achieve the same result on your ordinary microgel radical, youtek prestige, or prestige pro. Plus just showing where the lead tape isn't enough info, how much lead tape? how many strips? Is there any silicone in the handle? such and such. Thank you for posting though.

Meaghan
10-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Ahhhhh 60 flex, nice to know, well you have the specs, trial and error and a bit of the ald grey matter.....

movdqa
10-07-2012, 01:41 PM
I used the TW Customization tool to come up with 14.6 grams at 26 inches, 2.7 grams at 25 inches and 28.6 grams at 0.8 inches. Since this is nothing like what Djokovic does to his frames, it's safe to say that the hairpin in his pro stock is lighter than that of the retail frame. So you'd need to start with a pro stock frame and get the lead and silicone right. Sounds like a lot of work.

RadicalMPfan
10-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I've taken a Microgel MP, leaded up the entire hoop and injected silicone in the handle until I got to 355 grams. Coincidentally, the racquet came out to 5 pts HL. I have no clue what the SW is on the racquet, but the setup is awesome.

dgoran
10-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Of course you can set it up depending on how accurate u want to be you might have to measure sw balance and mass of your current mg radical
But roughly it goes like this Take mg radical mp
And place lead exactly like its placed in those thread pictures
Replace stock grip with heavy leather grip 25gr or so plus wrap 2 over grips (Nole uses 2 over grips) this will add roughly 20 grams alone
Fine tune sw and balance by adding remainder of lead at 27 inches 12 o'clock and 1 inch from the buttcap.

movdqa
10-07-2012, 02:29 PM
My lead setup on my Prestige MPs is similar to Djokovic's but the SW is about 10 points lower and the static weight is about .3 oz higher. My guess is that the MG Radical MP Pro Stock hairpin is moderately lighter than the YT Prestige MP Pro Stock allowing for much greater flexibility in Swingweight/StaticWeight. I really love this setup. I could go higher in SW to Djokovic's spec but the swingspeed on my serve would suffer and I need my serve.

movdqa
10-07-2012, 02:33 PM
The thing about using a stock MG Rad MP is that you wind up with a polarized setup instead of a more balance distribution of weight around the hoop. I'd guess that the Djokovic setup adds a lot of stability to the hoop too and would provide a stiffer feel as opposed to the dynamic flex in the polarized setup.

The lead around the hoop would provide for a larger sweetspot too.

nkjwlf
10-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Would putting CAP grommets give the desired added hoop weight without making it depolarized?

movdqa
10-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Redistibuting the weight around the hoop would change the swingweight.

TennisCJC
10-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Doesn't Djokovic use long strips on lead down the sides of his racket? If you add lead at 12 as described above, it would not be a Djokovic setup as rackets play quite a bit differently with lead at noon vs 3/9 o'c. I also think Djokovic uses more lead at 10:30 and 1:30 under the bumper but no tape right at noon.

To get a racket like a Djokovic racket, I suggest adding weight at 3/9/10:30/1:30 and counter balance with silicone or handle lead tape until you get to 4 HL (confirm his balance point). Keep adding until you reach your optimum swing weight which may not be 370+ like Djokovic as he is likely a bit stronger than you.

movdqa
10-09-2012, 07:03 AM
You can see Djokovic's lead placement in FabFed's thread.

You can't take a stock MG Radical MP and just place lead like Djokovic does, though, as the swingweight and balance wouldn't come out right. You need to start with a lighter-than-stock hairpin.