PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams' real racquet

Down_the_line
10-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Got a quick question for Big John and any other Pro Stock experts out there. What's the consensus on the frame Serena Williams really uses under her paintjobs? I've heard the Hammer 6.4 Powerholes mentioned a lot. Is this true?

jorel
10-08-2012, 06:40 AM
wasnt she using a frame that was made specifically for Federer to try?

robbo1970
10-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Wait for it.......................is it a Big Bubba by any chance?

PBODY99
10-08-2012, 10:07 AM
She switched to the K Blade 104 when they were released. The production frame does have a modified Power Holes system. I doubt she uses the BLX layup as it has a lower RDC stiffness rating.

Hankenstein
10-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Wait for it.......................is it a Big Bubba by any chance?

Yes! You are correct! Here is a photo of Serenas frame together with a Nadal-frame from 2008

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/snipergene/DSC04297.jpg

PBODY99
10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Wilson's Outer Limits is just as big, a tad quicker at the net & of course hits a bigger ball.

Down_the_line
10-08-2012, 09:41 PM
She switched to the K Blade 104 when they were released. The production frame does have a modified Power Holes system. I doubt she uses the BLX layup as it has a lower RDC stiffness rating.

Thanks for the info. Interesting that Serena allowed herself to switch to a recent frame. You hardly ever hear of that among pros who religiously stick to the racquet they've used since their teens or early 20's.

Good on Serena for being open minded and willing to truly use a new Wilson racquet, rather than just endorse it with a paintjob.

zapvor
10-08-2012, 11:54 PM
i strung her racket once. the paintjob is one of teh best i have seen. shes using some real old hammer series

フェデラー
10-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the info. Interesting that Serena allowed herself to switch to a recent frame. You hardly ever hear of that among pros who religiously stick to the racquet they've used since their teens or early 20's.

Good on Serena for being open minded and willing to truly use a new Wilson racquet, rather than just endorse it with a paintjob.

She also used to be full gut until this year until she switched to a hybrid during the summer, and of course we all know happened after that.

Down_the_line
10-09-2012, 12:14 PM
She also used to be full gut until this year until she switched to a hybrid during the summer, and of course we all know happened after that.

Yeah, I heard she was urged to try the new Luxilon 4G string and ended up incorporating it into her setup.

Rulo
10-12-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm almost sure I read somewhere that she was one of the few players who actually played with the racket she advertise.....Guess it wasn't true....

vsbabolat
10-12-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm almost sure I read somewhere that she was one of the few players who actually played with the racket she advertise.....Guess it wasn't true....

She really does use the Blade 104

jorel
10-12-2012, 11:06 AM
interesting ... if she uses an OS..one wonders if it suits weekend warriors as well

mbpga1222
10-12-2012, 05:50 PM
i have one of her frames and so does my local tennis shop, definitely the real blade 104.

Down_the_line
10-13-2012, 03:02 AM
i have one of her frames and so does my local tennis shop, definitely the real blade 104.

But to reiterate, she uses the K Blade Team 104, not the current BLX Blade Team 104 that she is endorsing.

racquetfreak
10-13-2012, 10:14 AM
But to reiterate, she uses the K Blade Team 104, not the current BLX Blade Team 104 that she is endorsing.

that is true, i have seen the kbt with blx pj.

Big John
10-14-2012, 05:56 PM
I've only seen one of her older racquets with a NCode paint and it was at least 27.5 and had a massive head on it, basically a heavier granny racquet! :)

I agree it looks as though she is now using the Blade 104, a very underrated racquet in my opinion, used to sell plenty of those in the shop, very easy to hit.

I'd say switching away from full gut might have helped her too, how you'd control full gut in a bigger headed racquet without stringing stupidly tight I have no idea.

keithfival
10-15-2012, 08:07 AM
interesting ... if she uses an OS..one wonders if it suits weekend warriors as well

Shhhhh! They are hard enough to find as it is!:)

PBODY99
10-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Serena & Venus have used over sized rackets for all of their career. Their father was asked about that early on, and said something to the effect that using a powerful racket forces you to learn control.

Seth
10-15-2012, 11:41 AM
To be clear: Isn't 104 sq. in. a midplus?

jorel
10-15-2012, 11:47 AM
To be clear: Isn't 104 sq. in. a midplus?
and 3 more sq inches make it an OS????

keithfival
10-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't know what's considered OS but it certainly feels just like a 100. Feels very similar to the Exo3 Tour 100 18 x 20 actually except much lighter.

NLBwell
10-28-2012, 05:48 PM
I'd call 104 sqin an oversize, but it's debatable. 100 is mid+, 107 is OS, 104 - whatever you want, but since Mid+ goes all the way down to 95 sqin, most people would call 104 an oversize.

フェデラー
10-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I've only seen one of her older racquets with a NCode paint and it was at least 27.5 and had a massive head on it, basically a heavier granny racquet! :)

I agree it looks as though she is now using the Blade 104, a very underrated racquet in my opinion, used to sell plenty of those in the shop, very easy to hit.

I'd say switching away from full gut might have helped her too, how you'd control full gut in a bigger headed racquet without stringing stupidly tight I have no idea.

That's because she did. I'd have to do something but IIRC she would go as high as 65 with all gut. I realize it's not that high, but that's very very high. I think the poly is better for her anyway. I definitely think she puts more spin on the ball now than ever, and it helps a lot.

lulo
10-28-2012, 08:54 PM
isn't 102-105 consider a super mid?

Federerkblade
10-29-2012, 06:08 AM
on tv her head always looks smaller than 104 inch to me maybe a custom 101

darrinbaker00
10-29-2012, 08:31 AM
on tv her head always looks smaller than 104 inch to me maybe a custom 101

Are you referring to her racquet or her cranium? ;)

MATEO2020
11-02-2012, 11:35 AM
haha! nice darrin

NTexas
11-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Ok i kinda new to this but it sure sounds like all these players are liars and do some super false advertising? whats next is the earth not round and did we not land on the moon?

jankustra
11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
yesterday I hold her racket. looked like normal one. a bit heavier, but nothink extra. but grip no 5!!! and strink main: natural gut cross: luxilon original or M2 (amber-i read just Luxilon) and tension 62-58.

Big John
05-26-2013, 10:38 PM
I think Serena uses one of the older model stiffer blade 104's with Gut mains and 4G cross. It is longer and has a big grip..

Before that was almost a granny racquet, not sure how she controlled that thing.

Federerkblade
05-28-2013, 02:44 AM
yesterday I hold her racket. looked like normal one. a bit heavier, but nothink extra. but grip no 5!!! and strink main: natural gut cross: luxilon original or M2 (amber-i read just Luxilon) and tension 62-58.

How did you get hold of her racquet ??? are you at french and how did you get to hold it ?

Ashanti
05-28-2013, 06:14 PM
anyone no the strung weight

TimothyO
05-28-2013, 07:48 PM
That's because she did. I'd have to do something but IIRC she would go as high as 65 with all gut. I realize it's not that high, but that's very very high. I think the poly is better for her anyway. I definitely think she puts more spin on the ball now than ever, and it helps a lot.

Gut/Poly Hybrid...and still stringing the gut mains pretty high and pre-stretched.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A0_rkwUCEAAU9AC.jpg:large

NLBwell
05-28-2013, 09:59 PM
I think Serena uses one of the older model stiffer blade 104's with Gut mains and 4G cross. It is longer and has a big grip..

Before that was almost a granny racquet, not sure how she controlled that thing.

Given the number of unforced errors she used to hit, she often didn't control that thing. As she's gone to more controllable stings and slightly more controllable racket, she has cut down her unforced errors and the number of crazy upsets.

TennisCJC
05-30-2013, 07:07 AM
There are places on TT that say her swingweight is approximately 370 grams which implies she is loading up the head with lead tape. A 104" head with 370 SW would have enormous power and that might help explain her 120 MPH serves. She gravitates toward near even balance if I remember correctly.

Federerkblade
05-30-2013, 07:35 AM
both the last posts r true . a tennis friend told me the specs of serena s racquet will post later but convur with tenniscjc and nlbwell

Federerkblade
05-30-2013, 07:38 AM
was 345 strung, 22mm thick (basically the K Blade model painted like the white/black BLX), 27.5" long, 57RA and 390 swing weight!!! 3 overlapping strips of lead under the bumper per each side

she may have reduced the swingweight. thanks to mauro

tennixpl
06-04-2013, 11:36 AM
okay so this always has bugged me, how are racquet companies not sued for false advertising if the players never use the commercial frame? i mean at least as a base that gets altered?
also why is it all such a damn secret, like i think ill really play as good as Serena if i just buy that racquet..... ill take the endorsement deal as the reason why i dont play as good. is this comparable to any other sport, do golfers use secret 193s clubs, are basket ball specs a secret?, does Nike really put some metorite material in their air jordans taht michael plays with but not what they sell at foot locker?

Ben42
06-04-2013, 12:23 PM
like this lawsuit?

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/3701-wilson-federer-tennis-racket-class-action-lawsuit#

tennixpl
06-04-2013, 12:39 PM
like this lawsuit?

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/3701-wilson-federer-tennis-racket-class-action-lawsuit#

hope it goes somewhere, mostly jsut to have a more honest industry. stuff wearts out adn people change and that is enough reason to buy new equipment. If Serena uses an old model then obviuosly they still make that model so it doesnt behoove them to make a new one with a new marketing campaign and a new bogus advancement, while still keeping an old mold active, and then to do this with a bunch of players it makes no sense to me.

Pete Sampras obviusly used the old PS 85, did wilson not make enough money by selling those for 20 years at 200 bucks as apposed to a different layup of graphite with different paint for 200 bucks????
he also put multiple layers of lead tape on them, if they custom made those frames why wouldnt they just add that weight to the frame so he didnt have to further customize the frames......
then again i still cant explain love -15-30-40-45 deuce scoring system

フェデラー
06-04-2013, 02:08 PM
hope it goes somewhere, mostly jsut to have a more honest industry. stuff wearts out adn people change and that is enough reason to buy new equipment. If Serena uses an old model then obviuosly they still make that model so it doesnt behoove them to make a new one with a new marketing campaign and a new bogus advancement, while still keeping an old mold active, and then to do this with a bunch of players it makes no sense to me.

Pete Sampras obviusly used the old PS 85, did wilson not make enough money by selling those for 20 years at 200 bucks as apposed to a different layup of graphite with different paint for 200 bucks????
he also put multiple layers of lead tape on them, if they custom made those frames why wouldnt they just add that weight to the frame so he didnt have to further customize the frames......
then again i still cant explain love -15-30-40-45 deuce scoring system

As for your first complaint, if that were true, then why would tennis companies bother to make new rackets? Why innovate at all? Why try new things? Fact of the matter is, although there are paintjobs in the pro world, at the end of the day not all pros use rackets they have been using for decades. The fact of the matter is you just don't know what they are using. There is nothing wrong with custom rackets. Even Serena, whom this thread is about, has changed rackets over her career. Her current blade, which may or may not be the blx blade of the last generation, is obviously radically different than the Hyper Hammer OS she used years ago. The other thing is that pros are changing companies quite often, and some times some players actually do like the new frames that companies are putting out, like Baghdatis who just switched to Graphene Speed Pro (confirmed by VS Babolat I believe). The fact of the matter is that there is nothing wrong with them releasing new rackets every two years or so, technology MUST advance otherwise there is risk of stagnation. There must be some innovation. I realize some of this stuff is gimmicky, but the fact of the matter is, as amateurs a new racket doesn't change much to us. The other argument here is that most people on this forum can't play with current rackets anyway, no way in hell they can play with pro stock rackets. However, I don't think it's a terrible idea for racket companies to offer classic rackets more often like wilson now does the PS 85. Babolat could release a classic Babolat APD, the racket Rafa "used" to win so many slams.

The reason that lead tape is used is because it is simply easier to add a gram or two here or there rather than making a custom mold. If roger adds lets say 8 grams at 12 oclock, if they were to actually make a racket for him, they would have to probably drastically change the composition of that racket at that precise location to add in the weight. This would probably be a headache for Wilson.

Sander001
06-09-2013, 04:31 PM
was 345 strung, 22mm thick (basically the K Blade model painted like the white/black BLX), 27.5" long, 57RA and 390 swing weight!!! 3 overlapping strips of lead under the bumper per each side

she may have reduced the swingweight. thanks to mauroHeard McEnroe say that she uses a very light racquet. I wasn't at all convinced.

tennixpl
06-09-2013, 06:38 PM
As for your first complaint, if that were true, then why would tennis companies bother to make new rackets? Why innovate at all? Why try new things? Fact of the matter is, although there are paintjobs in the pro world, at the end of the day not all pros use rackets they have been using for decades. The fact of the matter is you just don't know what they are using. There is nothing wrong with custom rackets. Even Serena, whom this thread is about, has changed rackets over her career. Her current blade, which may or may not be the blx blade of the last generation, is obviously radically different than the Hyper Hammer OS she used years ago. The other thing is that pros are changing companies quite often, and some times some players actually do like the new frames that companies are putting out, like Baghdatis who just switched to Graphene Speed Pro (confirmed by VS Babolat I believe). The fact of the matter is that there is nothing wrong with them releasing new rackets every two years or so, technology MUST advance otherwise there is risk of stagnation. There must be some innovation. I realize some of this stuff is gimmicky, but the fact of the matter is, as amateurs a new racket doesn't change much to us. The other argument here is that most people on this forum can't play with current rackets anyway, no way in hell they can play with pro stock rackets. However, I don't think it's a terrible idea for racket companies to offer classic rackets more often like wilson now does the PS 85. Babolat could release a classic Babolat APD, the racket Rafa "used" to win so many slams.

The reason that lead tape is used is because it is simply easier to add a gram or two here or there rather than making a custom mold. If roger adds lets say 8 grams at 12 oclock, if they were to actually make a racket for him, they would have to probably drastically change the composition of that racket at that precise location to add in the weight. This would probably be a headache for Wilson.

what advancement has really been made? stopped playing for years came back and it really all is the same. graphite is graphite, stiffness is stiffness, balance is balance. i notice how racquets are still measured with the same stats... no need to invent new ones when the old ones will do bc the racquets are minutely different. Wilson's big game changer is taking a couple strings out of the crosses, how many computer simulations did it take them to figure out a more open string pattern produces more spin????????
and hoave you ever watched how they make racquets, they could easily add lead to teh prahite sheets on the interior of the racquet, but tomato/tomAto just was an observation.

i am glad Serena uses newer frames, shows a willingness to change and update. but why lie about what actual frame it really is. people will buy Serenas frame so what does it matter if its "new" or not. just leads to a bunch of people complaining about the tactics of the manufactures. sheesh if fed could learn to use a larger head to help produce power and spin he might actually find a way to not lose to Nadal.

Harry_Wild
06-11-2013, 10:09 PM
If I remember reading; she got a hold of one of Federer's prototypes rackets 98 sq. inch and she love hitting and serving with it. Venus also love it! Wilson however did not want to supply the William sisters with this racket but they got it worked out! Federer past on the racket! Wilson agreed to supply them the rackets as long as they get the paintjobs on the racket they are endorsing. This racket is not available for purchase!

corners
06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
If I remember reading; she got a hold of one of Federer's prototypes rackets 98 sq. inch and she love hitting and serving with it. Venus also love it! Wilson however did not want to supply the William sisters with this racket but they got it worked out! Federer past on the racket! Wilson agreed to supply them the rackets as long as they get the paintjobs on the racket they are endorsing. This racket is not available for purchase!

Where do you remember reading this?

Rabbit
06-12-2013, 05:07 AM
^^^^^^
I don't think Wilson "did not want to supply" the racquet, they only had one. It was a Blade prototype they were going to get Federer to test. I think he hit with it, gave it back and someone from Wilson let Serena Williams hit with it. She was in Australia and loved he frame. She went on to win the AO playing with just the one frame the whole tournament.

HRB
06-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Serena, like a lot of the woman, doesn't get so caught up in the gear, and she can pick up any stick, quickly adjust and deliver a beat down. Men are much more superstitious in this regard, although if they gave any decent racquet a decent amount of time to adjust they'd do just fine.

I like having a bag with my 2 main sticks (6.1 95's) and a couple "guest stars" (currently an old Head Pure Comp, and Prince 03 speed port tour). For kicks I'll switch up mid match and I swear it ****es off my opponents seeing that my game doesn't drop and often improves.

Granted my sticks are all in similar spec ranges and styles, but the fact is we get to caught up in miniscule differences.

Then again...when huge amounts of cash in on the line (not us) then I can see being a little more uptight!

ramos77
06-12-2013, 07:35 AM
tennis players are just strange people in general..

name one other sport where they are so pedantic about their equipment?

movdqa
06-12-2013, 09:08 AM
> name one other sport where they are so pedantic about their equipment?

Table Tennis.

フェデラー
06-12-2013, 01:24 PM
> name one other sport where they are so pedantic about their equipment?

Table Tennis.

Very true, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of rubbers, inverted and out, tacky, grippy, smooth, with soft or hard sponges. Then there are blades that are various plies (5 vs. 7) made out of dozens of different types of wood or composite materials (carbon). Table tennis is probably worse than tennis in this regard, and not only that, a whole table tennis bat can be extremely expensive, much much more than a tennis racket + string.

HRB
06-12-2013, 03:40 PM
tennis players are just strange people in general..

name one other sport where they are so pedantic about their equipment?

Actually every sport has gear heads...it's a harmless hobby...I got mountain bike friends who constantly talk about shaving grams off their bikes...all while carrying 2-10 extra inches around their waste! :twisted:

Harry_Wild
06-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Where do you remember reading this?

Could be on this forum or at the racquet forum here! It was back about 6 months or so ago.

kingcheetah
09-28-2013, 06:41 PM

she may have reduced the swingweight. thanks to mauro

Any idea on balance?

HRB
10-04-2013, 05:13 AM

Not surprising...most of the WTA tour players don't get all caught up in the mental gear game we men do. Having been around many female and male athletes (work in athletics) I'd say overwhelmingly men get way more caught up in their gear choices....much of it is superstition.

On the other hand high level female athletes seem to put way too much pressure on themselves, which is why most really look forward to retirement, while the men seem to really love it and do not want to ever stop.

Hey...we're different...no denying!

struggle
10-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Actually every sport has gear heads...it's a harmless hobby...I got mountain bike friends who constantly talk about shaving grams off their bikes...all while carrying 2-10 extra inches around their waste! :twisted:

very funny. while riding, one of my buddies was spouting off about how he had shaved a pound or whatever from his bike, yada yada, talking about how he had the lightest bike.

my much thinnner and fitter buddy looks over at him, laughs and says "shizz man, my bike is about 50 pounds lighter than yours, stfu!!"

it was a good laugh. and so true.

HRB
10-05-2013, 02:53 AM
very funny. while riding, one of my buddies was spouting off about how he had shaved a pound or whatever from his bike, yada yada, talking about how he had the lightest bike.

my much thinnner and fitter buddy looks over at him, laughs and says "shizz man, my bike is about 50 pounds lighter than yours, stfu!!"

it was a good laugh. and so true.

There is such satisfaction to be had in beating an opponent who has the latest "Rafa" or "Roger" stick with an old Radical or Prince Spectrum 90...same satisfaction as RIDING up a hill on a $800 mountain bike and passing a guy PUSHING his $2500 bike!!!!:twisted:

Phantasm
10-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Such high string tension even on the poly...

Nice to hear that she is using a somewhat more recent racket.

kingcheetah
10-09-2013, 09:59 PM
It's really interesting to me how she combines "old school" (nat. gut mains and a very flexible racquet) with "new school" (larger headsize, poly crosses, pretty even balance for a pro, high SW.)