PDA

View Full Version : Head YOUTEK IG Extreme Pro 2.0 - WOW.

Bmr
10-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Hey all,

After using the Prince SPB for a few years and having mixed results with the Wilson Juice, (liked it at first, but realized it was a bit unstable when returning power shots) I decided it was time for a change. I demo-ed 4 racquets in the 315g class.

I hit with the Youtek Extreme Pro 2, Volkl Organix 8, Donnay Formula 100 and Technifibre 315 Speedflex. They are all great racquets, but this Extreme Pro 2 is quite amazing.

First, and like Carol said in her playtest review, this racquet feels fantastic right out of the gate. It is a bit heavier than i'm used to, but it is still quite head-light and has a perfect balance for me. I'm testing it out with polyester, i'm assuming a Head string, but I couldn't tell you which one.

Groundstrokes - check. So, so solid and a heavier ball to boot. This racquet is an absolute beast from the ground. Service returns, approach shots, slice..you name it and the racquet does it. The only issue i've encountered was overhitting some of the put away shots, but i've since figured it out. I can't wait to try this thing with my normal string. The topspin seemed a bit less than I normally produce, but it was probably just the strings. It was actually nicer to be able to flatten out my shots a bit. I was hitting 2hbh's with more pace than ever before.

Volleys - OMG! This is where I was most impressed with this racquet. I was hitting volleys with ease and putting them anywhere on the court I wanted. I think this was my main gripe with the SPB - I just could not get into any kind of comfort zone with this racquet at the net and it frustrated me to no end. Touch shots, also excellent. I was coming into the net just to see what this baby could do. Drop volleys, put aways, angle shots..it was all gravy.

Serves - this is where I struggled a bit for the first hour or two. I could not get into a comfort zone, but I think once I switch string and experiment a little bit it shouldn't be a problem. This racquet also had an overgrip on a 1/2 so it was a bit bigger than I was used to, and this could have impacted some of my wrist snap with the serve.

All in all, I think this is the most impressive racquet i've tried in a long time. It is also worth mentioning that it is extremely comfortable on the arm. The new technology they put in this thing really makes a difference. I still need a few more hours with this thing, but i've tried all the different Babolats, Prince, Wilsons, etc.. and this one is the most impressive of the bunch.

A_Instead
10-08-2012, 08:23 AM
I agree that the new Pro 2.0 is pretty darn nice, but the 2 that I had were 340 grams (12oz) which made it a tad heavy for me when I played against big hitters. I couldnt get it around fast enough so instinct was to swing harder/faster which is a no no.
I'll continue to work on my game so I can use a racquet in that weight catagory when I play against better competion.

Bmr
10-08-2012, 09:22 AM
I agree that it is definitely a bit harder to get the racquet around, but the stability and plow make it easier to absorb and redirect power shots as well.

After a few sets, you notice the heaviness of the racquet a bit more..but it has been only a minor adjustment for me so far.

cluckcluck
10-08-2012, 10:46 AM
I couldn't get over the head shape, it was just too round. It looked/felt like I was swinging a frying pan. It was a deal breaker for me.

Bmr
10-08-2012, 11:56 AM
The shape is a bit weird, but the thing that pushed me over the top was the volleys. The touch/feel is still there even with the polyester. More people need to playtest this thing so we can get more feedback!

Murray_fan1
10-08-2012, 06:30 PM
I couldn't get over the head shape, it was just too round. It looked/felt like I was swinging a frying pan. It was a deal breaker for me.

Biggest issue for me as well. The head is a little rounder than I am used to.

Bartelby
10-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Its surprising how little different the round shape is when you put it up against a Babolat, for example, and how that little difference makes a great visual impact.

You can however actually get to like the shape, as I did with Yonex as well.

I still think that the Head Prestige line has the most iconic visual shape for a racquet.

JackB1
10-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I tried both the Ex Pro and the Mp and found the Pro just overall too heavy. My demo came in over 12 oz with overgrip and felt much heavier than the spec'd swingweight of 325. However, I am now loving the MP which seems to fit my game better. Enjoy the Pro...they are both great racquets!

Down_the_line
10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Glad you loved it. I'm not surprised as this racquet is the highest rated I've seen currently on TW, coming in at 88 overall. Two classic frames - the Wilson BLX ProStaff Six.One 90 and Head Youtek IG Prestige Mid - ranked 86.

cork_screw
10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I think the round shape of the head somehow creates more spin. I noticed that even though the speed mp had a lot of spin and top even though it's a 18x20 tight pattern, it had a very similar shape in being that it was very very roundish just like the extreme 2.0. Certain characteristics do seem to tip the racquet to certain attributes and I think the roundish shape makes for better spin production. For some reason it felt like it gave way more spin than the rad pro IG that has the same string pattern.

Bmr
10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Jack, the Donnay Formula 100 wasn't too shabby either..it was definitely in the running.

I played for another couple of hours with the Extreme Pro 2 last night and I can't think of many negatives, if any. It's just a flat out beast! Yes, it is heavier. I picked up the SPB at the end of a hitting session and it felt like a feather. However, it is not nearly as taxing on my arm as let's say Federer's racquet was. The extra weight really helps add that heft and court penetration that puts your opponent on the defense. 2HBH are way more fun now. With my Black and poly that I was using, I was creating too much spin and had a very difficult time flattening out shots - not anymore.

On Sunday, I can remember blocking a couple of hard, 100+ mph serves back and hitting winner returns. It is just a very solid feeling racquet. As some others have said, it is like a Pure Drive/Roddick with a lot better feel and cushion. The Pure Drive was much harder on my arm and gave me no confidence at the net.

YMMV - I remember playing with a couple other highly touted/rated racquets from the TW review team, but they are dead on with their assessment.

Maroon_Tenniskid
10-10-2012, 11:31 AM
How Does it compare the the MG Extreme Pro? I played with that racket for a year and every time I pick it up now, it doesn't seem too heavy is the 2.0 heavier feeling?

Bmr
10-10-2012, 11:54 AM
I've never wielded that stick, but they look very comparable in terms of specs.

naturallight
10-31-2012, 09:47 AM
I hit with the Head YOUTEK IG Extreme MP (not the Pro) and can echo the "wow" sentiments. I'm pretty fond of my APDC but the Head seemed to offer the same spin and aerodynamics with much more stability and comfort.

I've hit with the previous version of the MP in the past and wasn't really that impressed. I'm not sure what they changed with the new version.

The totally round shape on the Head does look a bit odd.

Has anyone hit with both the MP and the Pro? Differences?

jjs891
10-31-2012, 11:10 AM
I hit with the Head YOUTEK IG Extreme MP (not the Pro) and can echo the "wow" sentiments. I'm pretty fond of my APDC but the Head seemed to offer the same spin and aerodynamics with much more stability and comfort.

I've hit with the previous version of the MP in the past and wasn't really that impressed. I'm not sure what they changed with the new version.

The totally round shape on the Head does look a bit odd.

Has anyone hit with both the MP and the Pro? Differences?

Spec wise, it looks like pro just has more weight in the tail. Kind of odd that they made mp with higher sw but less static wt. Is there a big difference between the two?

Anyone played with both?

jjl
10-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Haven't hit the Pro but am loving the Extreme MP, better fit for me than the Pro. Was comparing the MP with the PD '12, went with the MP, had more plough through and felt more solid as well as easier on my arm, hard to explain. i like the round shape, reminds me of some of the Prince mid frames. I played some of my best tennis in the past with round shaped Head frames, so looking forward to giving the MP a shot. one of those rackets with the 'it' factor.

JackB1
10-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Haven't hit the Pro but am loving the Extreme MP, better fit for me than the Pro. Was comparing the MP with the PD '12, went with the MP, had more plough through and felt more solid as well as easier on my arm, hard to explain. i like the round shape, reminds me of some of the Prince mid frames. I played some of my best tennis in the past with round shaped Head frames, so looking forward to giving the MP a shot. one of those rackets with the 'it' factor.

I also prefer the MP to the Pro. The lower static weight makes is easier for serves, overheads and volleys. Even though the Pro is supposed to have lower swing weight, the Pro just felt overall too heavy and sluggish for me.

Bmr
11-14-2012, 07:38 PM
I just weighed my Extreme Pro on my digital scale and it was 338.1 grams strung (stock). It's 341.9 with my shock absorber. I don't know what it's going to be when I replace my grip, but the stock weight is supposed to be 332.xx. That's quite a bit of difference. I weighed my SPB racquets and they all came in a tad higher than the 320g stock weight, mostly because of the thicker grip. 342 g+ is a lot of weight and it seems heavier than the demo I used.

My Wilson Juice actually came in under the stock weight by a bit, even with an overgrip. Go figure.

For anyone with the Head series, can you weigh the racquet and let me know where it comes in? Almost 6 grams higher than stock weight seems a bit excessive to me.

scambi
11-14-2012, 11:55 PM
I just weighed my Extreme Pro on my digital scale and it was 338.1 grams strung (stock). It's 341.9 with my shock absorber. I don't know what it's going to be when I replace my grip, but the stock weight is supposed to be 332.xx. That's quite a bit of difference. I weighed my SPB racquets and they all came in a tad higher than the 320g stock weight, mostly because of the thicker grip. 342 g+ is a lot of weight and it seems heavier than the demo I used.

My Wilson Juice actually came in under the stock weight by a bit, even with an overgrip. Go figure.

For anyone with the Head series, can you weigh the racquet and let me know where it comes in? Almost 6 grams higher than stock weight seems a bit excessive to me.

I agree with you , mine two are 334,XX and 337 but at least the same balance, anyway always a few grams more than specific values.

VeeSe
11-15-2012, 05:27 PM

It's always like this with racquets from big companies like Wilson/Head/Babolat. I ordered two IG Radical MPs. One weighed 320g stock, one weighed 312g, and the demo at my local club weighed like 310g. If you order multiple racquets from a major company from TW and are serious about tennis, the racquet matching service is pretty much mandatory, imo.

saqdeez
07-26-2013, 05:30 AM
Is the grip size here consistent with other Head grips, in that they are smaller than babolat and Wilson? A head 4 1/2 equals a bab or Wilson 3/8s in my experience.

TennisMD
07-26-2013, 07:04 AM
How Does it compare the the MG Extreme Pro? I played with that racket for a year and every time I pick it up now, it doesn't seem too heavy is the 2.0 heavier feeling?

So I have played both, 2.0 my current rkt of choice. Of note the original MG EP had a big difference in weight between the two I owned can't remember exactly but in the range 11.6 oz for one and 12 oz for the other. The biggest difference was the 2.0 feels more solid more plow through mine both identical with over grip and dampener weigh 12.1. If you look at TWU the MG had slightly bigger sweet spot and slightly more power, I know some here disagree with the TWU findings but in this case I agree although minimal difference. So overall 2.0 bit more solid, and the hitting long for me is always technique related, I can hit long with the so called control rkts as well, bottom line I win more with a 2.0 like rkt.
As far as head shape for me it allows for wicked slice serve which I employ as second serve more pace equal control.

sam_p
07-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Is the grip size here consistent with other Head grips, in that they are smaller than babolat and Wilson? A head 4 1/2 equals a bab or Wilson 3/8s in my experience.

Yes, same Head grip size as other lines.

daved
07-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Finally found something that will end my long run with the Prince Original Graphite OS.

With the possible exception of really profound plow-through (if you have the fitness to set up for and hit every shot with 100% effort with a 12.5+ oz. racquet for 90 min. straight) the current Extreme Pro does everything the POG OS does (touch, feel, stability, access to spin) but better and in an easier-to-use, better-feeling and more-fun-to-play-with package.

SCSI
07-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Its combination of power, spin, comfort, and feel is second to none. It is truly a rich men's Pure Drive. It has all the power and spin of the modern racket without sacrificing comfort and touch.

In short, this is the best racket on the market now. Honestly, I am glad more people haven't figured this out yet. I would hate to be on the receiving end of the spin this racket can generate.

This racket reminds me of Pure Drive when it first became available in the US in early 2000. It really stands out in terms of performance and does things other rackets don't offer.

A_Instead
07-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes EP 2.0 is a very great racquet that should be getting more prop's. It has extreme performance that is on par with the PDR but with much better feel.
I think some would switch.. if they only knew...

10nisne1
07-26-2013, 05:28 PM
I agree. Extreme Pro 2.0 is an extremely (pun intended) nice racket. My racket history consists of control oriented frames:

1) Wilson Pro Staff 85
2) Head i.Prestige Mid
3) Dunlop Aerogel 4D200

Those were the only rackets I used for the past 30 years. I would have never considered going to a racket with a headsize of 100 sqin. Going from the i.Prestige Mid to the Dunlop AG 4D 200 was bit of an adjustment for me due to the "large" head size. In fact, I started hitting with full poly's to control the power and to prevent having to restring too often with the Dunlop's.

I also never imagined I would consider a widebody racket. Call me a traditional snob, but widebody rackets to me just look funny.

All that changed, when when my friend demo'ed the EP 2.0. I remember picking up the racket and thinking it had a nice balance and inspired confidence even before hitting a ball with it. However, at the time, I didn't hit with my friend's demo because I wasn't interested due to its head size and because it was a widebody.

Fast forward few weeks and I decided to demo the 18x20 and 16x18 versions of the Wilson BLX 6.1 95's through TW. Since adding a 3rd racket didn't increase the cost of the demo, I threw in the Head EP 2.0.

The EP 2.0 was a hit (pun intended)! I couldn't believe the controlled power it offered. My gameplay isn't based on topspin, but the amount of spin the EP 2.0 was able to generate was amazing. All my hitting partners said my groundies were hard to control due to the extreme (pun intended) pace and spin on my shots. I was hitting topsin lob winners literally left and right both on my forehand and backhand (one handed). The racket wasn't harsh at all. It had a "plush" feel on full cuts on the ball.

Having said that I haven't made the switch yet for the following reasons:

1) The EP 2.0 felt slightly too light. The racket came around a little too fast and I found myself making contact a little too early. I guess I could add weight, but I tend to favor rackets that I can play "out of the box" without customization.
2) The EP 2.0 felt slightly unstable on volleys for me. This could be due to my perception that the racket felt bit light for me. Then again, I'm not the strongest vollier.
3) The EP 2.0 has a stiffness rating of 69. By all means, the EP 2.0 is not a hard racket. In fact, it felt like my wife's Volkl V1 Classic, which also plays softer than it's rating. However, it's just slightly stiffer than the rackets I'm used to using.

Another concern I had was the open string pattern. I was concerned how often I would be restringing with such an open string pattern on a 100 sqin head. However, the string pattern is bit deceptive. The string density is more concentrated in the center so you don't have even spacing throughout the racket. I think it could help mitigate string wear.

Most likely I will cave in and probably make the purchase and give it a longer trial. I'm not a big fan of changing rackets as you can see from my racket history. However, I think as I get older, I could use the benefits provided by the EP 2.0.

spinovic
07-26-2013, 06:12 PM
I think the string density is the reason the racquet can give such great pop and easy spin, while also giving good directional control. It really is a very good racquet - I just found something I liked better and played better with.

SCSI
07-26-2013, 06:33 PM
I have been also a big fan of Prestige Mid. In addition, I was using Dunlop Aerogel 4D200, which is a very nice racket, right before I tried EP 2.0 Pro. String durability is not an issue with EP 2.0. I think it is only slightly worse than 4D200. It is very close.

In general, I would recommend EP 2.0 for topspin hitters with strong (SW or full-Western) grip. Combined with spin shaped poly strings, it generates an unbelievable amount of spin.

I had great success with PD+ when it came out but I was not able to hit touch shots nor volley well with it. EP 2.0 Pro provides everything PD offers and then some. Now, I can volley well and hit drop-shots much better. Yes, much of is technique but rackets do make a big difference. The only area PD has an edge is in raw power in serves. EP 2.0 are pretty good serving frames but they don't have quite the pop of PD. But, it is much easier to control the ball with EP 2.0.

Imagine combining the best qualities of PD and Prestige. That's EP 2.0. Of course, it doesn't have quite the accuracy and feel of Prestige, but it is remarkably close, considering what it gives you.

BTW, one area that made a big difference for me between AG 4D200 and EP 2.0 Pro was that I could hit two-handed backhand more consistently with EP 2.0. I think it was mostly due to more head-light balance on 4D200 and bigger more round shape of EP 2.0. I also found EP 2.0 to be easier on my arm, though it is counter-intuitive.

I agree. Extreme Pro 2.0 is an extremely (pun intended) nice racket. My racket history consists of control oriented frames:

1) Wilson Pro Staff 85
2) Head i.Prestige Mid
3) Dunlop Aerogel 4D200

Those were the only rackets I used for the past 30 years. I would have never considered going to a racket with a headsize of 100 sqin. Going from the i.Prestige Mid to the Dunlop AG 4D 200 was bit of an adjustment for me due to the "large" head size. In fact, I started hitting with full poly's to control the power and to prevent having to restring too often with the Dunlop's.

I also never imagined I would consider a widebody racket. Call me a traditional snob, but widebody rackets to me just look funny.

All that changed, when when my friend demo'ed the EP 2.0. I remember picking up the racket and thinking it had a nice balance and inspired confidence even before hitting a ball with it. However, at the time, I didn't hit with my friend's demo because I wasn't interested due to its head size and because it was a widebody.

Fast forward few weeks and I decided to demo the 18x20 and 16x18 versions of the Wilson BLX 6.1 95's through TW. Since adding a 3rd racket didn't increase the cost of the demo, I threw in the Head EP 2.0.

The EP 2.0 was a hit (pun intended)! I couldn't believe the controlled power it offered. My gameplay isn't based on topspin, but the amount of spin the EP 2.0 was able to generate was amazing. All my hitting partners said my groundies were hard to control due to the extreme (pun intended) pace and spin on my shots. I was hitting topsin lob winners literally left and right both on my forehand and backhand (one handed). The racket wasn't harsh at all. It had a "plush" feel on full cuts on the ball.

Having said that I haven't made the switch yet for the following reasons:

1) The EP 2.0 felt slightly too light. The racket came around a little too fast and I found myself making contact a little too early. I guess I could add weight, but I tend to favor rackets that I can play "out of the box" without customization.
2) The EP 2.0 felt slightly unstable on volleys for me. This could be due to my perception that the racket felt bit light for me. Then again, I'm not the strongest vollier.
3) The EP 2.0 has a stiffness rating of 69. By all means, the EP 2.0 is not a hard racket. In fact, it felt like my wife's Volkl V1 Classic, which also plays softer than it's rating. However, it's just slightly stiffer than the rackets I'm used to using.

Another concern I had was the open string pattern. I was concerned how often I would be restringing with such an open string pattern on a 100 sqin head. However, the string pattern is bit deceptive. The string density is more concentrated in the center so you don't have even spacing throughout the racket. I think it could help mitigate string wear.

Most likely I will cave in and probably make the purchase and give it a longer trial. I'm not a big fan of changing rackets as you can see from my racket history. However, I think as I get older, I could use the benefits provided by the EP 2.0.

BodegaBay
08-09-2013, 07:57 AM

It's funny I saw your post when I received my demo from TW yesterday. I ordered the 1/2 version because that's all the size they had in stock. Upon holding it, I thought that it was less thick than what I'm used to in a 1/2. I had a Volkl and two other Wilson demo racquets in 3/8 and sure enough the Head's 1/2 seemed very close to the others 3/8.

Btw, while liked the Extreme Pro but it seemed a tad arduous to swing. And I typically like heavy racquets too! I think it was more of the thickness of the beam. I prefer the more reasonable beam size and shape of the Wilson Blades. The Head's a good racquet, just not for my playing style.

doctor dennis
08-10-2013, 12:40 AM
I've had this racket 2-3 months now having moved from the 99S. I don't think there are any real weak areas with this racket. I've really got it dialled in. Easy pace, spin and depth but you got to be in the correct position. For me its quite close to a players frame even though it is a tweener. I had the MG version a few years back and that was awesome too.
My next stick will be the Graphene version if Head can somehow improve on it which is a big ask.
Anyone know when a Graphene version is due?

Bmr
09-05-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm back to using the HEP2 after going back and forth with the Speedport Black and Wilson Juice. I still have yet to find a racquet that I am better with from the ground than the Black. My forehands are money with that racquet and I can do some serious damage. I messed around with the weight on the Juice and while I like the racquet, I still don't think it's exactly right for me.

I'm using the Extreme right now with Yonex Poly Tour Pro 125 at 53#. It is a great racquet, but it can still feel a bit sluggish to me at times. Some of that may be due to the fact that it is weighing in 4 grams heavier than it should be.

Also, for some reason, I just don't get the same level of power as I do with the Juice or Black. I can absolutely crush forehands with those racquets and the guys at the net don't stand a chance. Maybe I'm off on my stringing with the Extreme, but I don't get it. I will say this, my backhand is way better with the Extreme and so are my volleys. Any input from you guys?

naturallight
09-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Honestly, I am glad more people haven't figured this out yet. I would hate to be on the receiving end of the spin this racket can generate.

Yeah, one of my regular hitting partners has switched to this racquet...it sucks, for me. Can't believe the difference.

souledge
09-14-2013, 07:15 PM
I have the reverse opinion, though I haven't tried the EP 2.0 with Full Poly, just Gut / Poly. I find it way too powerful at 53/49 crossed with CoFocus. I much prefer the POG OS 4 Stripe or my Head PT630.

My favorite racket is the Steam 99S with full poly, so I'll string up the EP 2.0 at ELT with full poly and see how it performs.

spinovic
09-15-2013, 05:20 AM
The EP 2.0 plays great with full poly.

The only other setup I tried was syn gut and I hated it. I think that racquet is made for full poly.

doctor dennis
09-15-2013, 05:53 AM
My rackets came with a syn gut. It played horrid and the strings had a plasticky feel and moved all over the place.
I cut them out and went to my strings of choice (msv focus hex) and it played superbly.
I don't think this racket should be played with a syn gut unless you really like syn gut.

asifallasleep
11-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Hey guys don't forget to join the Extreme 2.0 club:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=482153

doctor dennis
11-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Anyone know when the 2014 version is out?

Sweet-Spot
11-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Wonder if they will bring the graphene technology to this racket in the next version. I am not a big fan of the paint job but I can't deny the performance. Took a bit of time adjusting to the heavier frame but now I just swing earlier.

Torres
01-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Extreme by name, extreme by nature...

This is the most powerful and spinniest retail racquet I've ever hit with. Think of the APDC merged with the PDR with an additional load of weight in the handle to make it more HL. My one is 360g inc OG and dampener. That's in stock form without any lead. Practically every other racquet feels like a kids racquet after playing wit this.

All that weight, with that massive hoop, super thick beam and that high stiffness and it makes for a beast of a racquet in terms of power, the ability to hit through the court and getting the ball past your opponent. Certainly needs a firm poly to tame it. Can't see how a hybrid or nylon would work. The problems start occurring when the poly starts losing tension. The ball can really fly. Great from the baseline but trying to put away short balls starts becoming a real challenge because of that power. Hard to whip the ball up and then down over a short distance with all that weight and power.

Really quite an addictive racquet but it really is at the extreme end of the spectrum (and I really do mean extreme) in terms of racquet specs. It's also the most arm/shoulder shredding racquet I've ever played with particularly when you need a firm poly in it.

Bartelby
01-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Take twenty grams off the racquet and then check out your shoulder and watch your game improve.

Torres
01-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Take twenty grams off the racquet and then check out your shoulder and watch your game improve.

That, along with lowering the stiffness, foam filling it, ovaling out or shrinking the hoop (though that round hoop does seem to contribute to its high spin factor), thinning the beam slightly and getting Wilson to manufacture it with basalt/graphite to take out its 'recycled tin cans' feel. Craziest racquet I've ever played with.

mbrenner
01-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Extreme by name, extreme by nature...

This is the most powerful and spinniest retail racquet I've ever hit with. Think of the APDC merged with the PDR with an additional load of weight in the handle to make it more HL. My one is 360g inc OG and dampener. That's in stock form without any lead. Practically every other racquet feels like a kids racquet after playing wit this.

All that weight, with that massive hoop, super thick beam and that high stiffness and it makes for a beast of a racquet in terms of power, the ability to hit through the court and getting the ball past your opponent. Certainly needs a firm poly to tame it. Can't see how a hybrid or nylon would work. The problems start occurring when the poly starts losing tension. The ball can really fly. Great from the baseline but trying to put away short balls starts becoming a real challenge because of that power. Hard to whip the ball up and then down over a short distance with all that weight and power.

Really quite an addictive racquet but it really is at the extreme end of the spectrum (and I really do mean extreme) in terms of racquet specs. It's also the most arm/shoulder shredding racquet I've ever played with particularly when you need a firm poly in it.

Torres, your comments are very interesting to me. I have found that, while I love the way I play with this racquet, my shoulder and arm always hurt for days after a long match. I had figured it was just my needing to improve my technique with a heavier frame, but now that I see that you have also had a similar experience, I can't help but wonder if I have a racquet that isn't as arm friendly as I was lead to believe.

Bartelby
01-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Once a racquet gets to about 67 stiffness rating, I cease to feel any flex so I don't prefer anything over that.

But I can't see I find those racquets uncomfortable, but if you do then avoid them all.

I think the Graphene will make these racquets far worse, so this might be the one to get.

Power Player
01-04-2014, 06:40 PM
360. Wow. Mine was high 330s and was the extreme pro 2.0 when i demoed it. I found it to be rather light since my normal stick was 345 at the time.. The qc is all over the place with this beast from what i have read.

Regardless i could never get into the extremes. I have demoed a few variants. It is a really interesting stick as it seems to benefit a bit of a flatter hitter yet the hoop is designed like a spin frame.

phanker
01-04-2014, 10:17 PM
360g is way off spec. Scale is off maybe?
My first one was 346g. My 2 recent EP2.0 were order matched and at 336g. All weighed with OG and dampener which adds about 6g.
Even with just a 10g difference, I noticed the difference in play for sure as it seems the 10g difference is mostly in the head.
I had shoulder issues with it initially as I wasn't used to the heft. I was rather confused as it felt very plush. I must have gotten used to it now as I no longer get any pain.
Trying a stiffer poly at higher tension definitely made it not as comfortable and plush for sure. Hits off the sweetspot felt more jarring.
With more frames now, I'll have to experiment a bit with different strings to find that plushness. Yonex Poly Tour 1.20 yellow at 43/47 is best so far. Will report back.

mrc
01-05-2014, 05:56 AM
The stiffness on that racquet would be a deal breaker for me. Just too stiff..makes my arm hurt thinking about it.

Kenzik
01-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Hey Bmr. Can you compare the Prince SP Black to the Extreme Pro 2.0? I currently use the 03 Black as my main stick and I see that you use it as well. My stringer is currently selling the Extreme Pro for $100 so I was thinking about picking it up.

If anyone else has used both racquets then feel free to chime in.

Chip&Charge
01-05-2014, 02:02 PM
I picked (Qty.2) Head Extreme Pro's cause they were on sale for $99 each at our local club (last years model). It was either the Head Extreme or the Babolat Pure Drive. I test drove both and felt they were very similar in feel/punch etc...came down to price in the end. Weight-wise, well balanced for me...

jshanem72
01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
I too just made the switch to the ep 2.0. I have always played with older thin beam players rackets. Ti radicals, prestige mps, and the older graghite masters. After demoing everything from babalot to yonex I stopped and just enjoyed what I was playing with. My girlfriend got the ep 2.0 for me this Xmas. I hated the way it looked. Wide beams aren't for me. I strung it up with poly and tried it out just to be nice. All I can say is it's the best racket I have ever hit with. Does everything very well and instills confidence which is very important. The racket feels like my graghite masters with much more controllable power. I have played at least 25 sets of singles with it and it just keeps getting better.....

phanker
01-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Perplexing indeed. It's still one of the most comfortable racquet I've played with as TW's high comfort rating was what lead me to the EP2.0 to begin with. Been looking for something that's elbow friendly but still good with spin and this fits the bill nicely. Its wide body and unique grommet system is what gives it good spin and comfort (even with full poly).

The stiffness on that racquet would be a deal breaker for me. Just too stiff..makes my arm hurt thinking about it.

souledge
01-23-2014, 02:29 AM
30 lbs BHBR 17 plays well with this racket.

Out?
01-25-2014, 11:12 AM
hoping for the line to be updated soon

naturallight
01-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Is it 2015? I'm trying to remember when the 2.0 came out--2012?

hoping for the line to be updated soon