PDA

View Full Version : New Head Instinct?

ArliHawk
10-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Does anyone know if we should expect a new Instinct next spring?

JDMasFCK
10-17-2012, 08:14 PM
They're coming out in Jan confirmed with Head rep

Bartelby
10-17-2012, 08:30 PM
... and Speed as well?

Automatix
10-17-2012, 09:51 PM
... and Speed as well? Yes, new Speed, supposedly with graphene. Paintjob very similar to the present one but with additional red accents.

Jack Romeo
10-18-2012, 02:41 AM
and what does graphene allegedly do? aside from providing more power, more control, more stability, more maneuverability, more spin and better feel. :-D

Bartelby
10-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Its a combination of graphite and obscene. Its a real rude stick.

Automatix
10-18-2012, 02:57 AM
and what does graphene allegedly do? aside from providing more power, more control, more stability, more maneuverability, more spin and better feel. :-D Yep, that's more or less the marketing BS which will come with this frame.

Sorry but I don't have any specific info beyond that what I wrote.

Jack Romeo
10-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Yep, that's more or less the marketing BS which will come with this frame.

Sorry but I don't have any specific info beyond that what I wrote.

well, i guess they're always gonna make that claim with every "new" material, right? i was just wondering what will be the pitch as to how the material achieves these effects. i mean, with d3o, for example, it was supposed to adapt and become more solid when you swung hard and then miraculously become more flexible when you hit a finesse shot. so that's how it supposedly provided more power and more control. with the new graphene thing, i wonder what they'll say.

Bartelby
10-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Anyone for a racquet two hundred times stronger than steel and weighing a cats whisker?:

Graphene is a substance made of pure carbon, with atoms arranged in a regular hexagonal pattern similar to graphite, but in a one-atom thick sheet. It is an allotrope of carbon whose structure is a single planar sheet of sp2-bonded carbon atoms that are densely packed in a honeycomb crystal lattice.[1] The term graphene was coined as a combination of graphite and the suffix -ene by Hanns-Peter Boehm,[2] who described single-layer carbon foils in 1962.[3] Graphene is most easily visualized as an atomic-scale chicken wire made of carbon atoms and their bonds. The crystalline or "flake" form of graphite consists of many graphene sheets stacked together.

As of 2009, graphene appears to be one of the strongest materials ever tested. Measurements have shown that graphene has a breaking strength 200 times greater than steel, with a tensile modulus (stiffness) of 1 TPa (150,000,000 psi).[141] However, the process of separating it from graphite, where it occurs naturally, will require some technological development before it is economical enough to be used in industrial processes,[142] though this may be changing soon.[143] Aside from being very strong, graphene is very light, weighing only about 0.77 milligrams per square meter. The Nobel announcement illustrated this by saying that a 1 square meter graphene hammock would support a 4 kg cat but would weigh only as much as one of the cat's whiskers [5].

Jack Romeo
10-19-2012, 12:06 AM
okay, so that's pretty much what we heard from the time when the gels (aerogel, microgel) were in vogue - stiff and strong but super-light. so graphene is a new nano-carbon thingy, sort of.

WhereIsMacMac
10-19-2012, 01:54 AM
graphene has a breaking strength 200 times greater than steel? djokovic's ganna have a hard time breaking his racquets

MikeHitsHard93
10-19-2012, 05:39 AM
graphene has a breaking strength 200 times greater than steel? djokovic's ganna have a hard time breaking his racquets

Except djokovic uses a microgel radical :P

WhereIsMacMac
10-19-2012, 08:09 PM

either way, I don't see him switching to the new speed

zapvor
10-19-2012, 08:12 PM

lol hes using a wilson!

sixone90
10-19-2012, 10:56 PM
lol hes using a wilson!

which was a copy of his Head racquet

MikeHitsHard93
10-20-2012, 07:03 AM
lol hes using a wilson!

is he really??? I thought it was a rad!!! DAMN YOU DJOKOVIC

Cup8489
10-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Djokovic is using a mold that is similar to the MG Radical, painted to look like a speed. Before that it was painted to look like a kblade, before that an nblade, and before that the LM Radical (the actual mold, minus ridges).

Yup.