PDA

View Full Version : Beginner, having better results with a heavy frame.

isilra
10-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Started playing tennis 8 months ago, so i'm still a beginner but i've dedicated myself to tennis since i've started. I have bought 3 racquets till now. First was Head LM Rad. It was ok but i liked the smooth feeling of my friend's BLX team better so i decided to buy one. Unfortunately when i ordered, i've realized that they have changed the balance of the racquet in 2012 version and also increased the swingweight which makes me wasting money for nothing. My friend offered me to give his 6.1 team in exchange of LM rad and i've accepted it.

After playing with it for a while, i've see that i can't return his heavy balls and the racquet has some stability problems. Also after i've tried to learn a proper swing and footwork, i liked the stiff feeling of LM and totally disliked my 6.1 team. Frame also lacked power which means it was not good for a topspin player. I wanted to give a try to a very stable and heavy, spin friendly frame so i bought a 6.1 BLX 95, 16x18.

Been using it for 2 weeks now. After playing with it for a while, i just felt that it was my racquet. My forehand used to be ok but very inconsistent. I always knew there was some problem with it but didn't know what was it. After switching to BLX 95, i realized that i used to be arming the ball everytime. Due to the low stability and power level of blx team, i used to try to hit the ball very hard and that just didn't allow me to have a relaxed arm and wrist also a good position. After a few shots, i was feeling that my forehand shots were consuming my energy. With my new frame, i totally fixed the problem. I feel the plow through and stability, also the effordless power when i take a proper position and swing with a relaxed arm. Today, we have played for 2 hours including long rallies with my buddy and first time in my life i even had energy to play 2 more hours after that, because i just spent my energy to take the position and turn my hip. I hit the sweetspot almost evert shot, also a lot of winners. No pain or other problems with my shoulder though.

I don't know what you guys are thinking about, also beware that i'm not on a level to give advices to people but a heavy/stable frame worked for me as a beginner/improver. A frame with high stability gives you confidence with your shots. You just don't think if the incoming ball will break your racquet or not. That's why you can concentrate on other things and play your game the way it should be.

LeeD
10-08-2012, 03:35 PM
You know very little about tennis.
DominicCibulkova, using a 10 oz racket, will knock your racket out of you hands, with sheer skill and talent. And she's 5' tall.
All your racket's are good enough for a player in the 6.5 levels. You are still 3.0, and have a ways to go.
Just pick a color you like, go hit thousands of tennis balls, and you will find player who crush you using heavier rackets than yours, and lighter rackets than yours.
It's the Indian, not the bow, not the arrows, that hits the targets.

lawrencejin
10-08-2012, 03:58 PM
That's great to hear! I think you are an unusual case, though. I generally don't recommend heavy frames to beginners, and here's why:
1. Beginners with premature techniques cannot adjust their swings easily with a hefty frame, thus slowing their learning
2. Many beginners tend to use their wrist when their timing is off, which would cause injuries with heavier frames

But every individual's different, and if it works for you then I think that's great. You got yourself a racket that you can continue playing with well into 4.5+ level as you improve in the next years.

Fuji
10-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Shh... you'll give everyone the secret to getting out of 3.5...

-Fuji

Mick3391
10-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Started playing tennis 8 months ago, so i'm still a beginner but i've dedicated myself to tennis since i've started. I have bought 3 racquets till now. First was Head LM Rad. It was ok but i liked the smooth feeling of my friend's BLX team better so i decided to buy one. Unfortunately when i ordered, i've realized that they have changed the balance of the racquet in 2012 version and also increased the swingweight which makes me wasting money for nothing. My friend offered me to give his 6.1 team in exchange of LM rad and i've accepted it.

After playing with it for a while, i've see that i can't return his heavy balls and the racquet has some stability problems. Also after i've tried to learn a proper swing and footwork, i liked the stiff feeling of LM and totally disliked my 6.1 team. Frame also lacked power which means it was not good for a topspin player. I wanted to give a try to a very stable and heavy, spin friendly frame so i bought a 6.1 BLX 95, 16x18.

Been using it for 2 weeks now. After playing with it for a while, i just felt that it was my racquet. My forehand used to be ok but very inconsistent. I always knew there was some problem with it but didn't know what was it. After switching to BLX 95, i realized that i used to be arming the ball everytime. Due to the low stability and power level of blx team, i used to try to hit the ball very hard and that just didn't allow me to have a relaxed arm and wrist also a good position. After a few shots, i was feeling that my forehand shots were consuming my energy. With my new frame, i totally fixed the problem. I feel the plow through and stability, also the effordless power when i take a proper position and swing with a relaxed arm. Today, we have played for 2 hours including long rallies with my buddy and first time in my life i even had energy to play 2 more hours after that, because i just spent my energy to take the position and turn my hip. I hit the sweetspot almost evert shot, also a lot of winners. No pain or other problems with my shoulder though.

I don't know what you guys are thinking about, also beware that i'm not on a level to give advices to people but a heavy/stable frame worked for me as a beginner/improver. A frame with high stability gives you confidence with your shots. You just don't think if the incoming ball will break your racquet or not. That's why you can concentrate on other things and play your game the way it should be.

If you wish to race up in ability, you have two choices; One is to take the easy route, that is modern tennis, go get a huge head that is easier for you to get the ball "over". Two is to get a small heavy wood head, this will guarantee that you must get your body in position, find the sweetspot, then find placed shots. Then you can move up to "Modern Tech"

My 11 year old son I started with a 75 inch wood head, it forced him to become good, now he's Varsity in only 6th grade, the best player, a tall 8th grader with a Babolot, is so inconsistant, it's either in perfect, mainly long, on in the net, he's lazy because he relies too much on his racket.

It's like any sport, any situation, Boxers practice with huge gloves, sprinters use angle weights, do what hurts if you really want to play, don't take the easy way, make it hard for yourself so when you compete you can kill those who have taken the easy route.

isilra
10-08-2012, 04:40 PM
You know very little about tennis.
DominicCibulkova, using a 10 oz racket, will knock your racket out of you hands, with sheer skill and talent. And she's 5' tall.
All your racket's are good enough for a player in the 6.5 levels. You are still 3.0, and have a ways to go.
Just pick a color you like, go hit thousands of tennis balls, and you will find player who crush you using heavier rackets than yours, and lighter rackets than yours.
It's the Indian, not the bow, not the arrows, that hits the targets.

For sure i didn't mean a heavier frame beats a lighter frame. If you know how to hit with the sweetspot every time, than yes even with my blx team, you can enjoy your game and it will be enough for you even if you are 6+. The problem is i am an improver and i can't hit the sweetspot every time in every position. I just wanted to tell that i feel a lot more progress when i'm playing with a heavier frame then a lighter one, because i feel that a heavier and stable frame is more forgiving with misshots. I was totally nervous and not relaxed when trying to produce power and worried about the ball buckling my racquet if i hit a misshot. That's why i used to be arming the ball. BLX 95 gives me the courage to play my game. Take my position and i just don't go to fight with the ball but touch the ball, effordless power comes afterwards, i hear the pop sound. Also i have the stamina to handle it, so why not give it a try ? Also i should say, after using my new stick for 2 weeks, i played blx team for half an hour and i was using it way more effectively than before.

Cibulkova can even beat me with a baseball stick, no discussions with that. But i didn't know she was 5' tall lol.

LeeD
10-08-2012, 04:49 PM
AmandaCoetzer, ranked mostly inside the top 10 in WTA, was also 5' all.
The around 12 oz racket is the accepted best all around racket weight for athletic, strong, in shape, and practiced players of any age or skill level.
Good you got there so soon.

isilra
10-08-2012, 04:58 PM
AmandaCoetzer, ranked mostly inside the top 10 in WTA, was also 5' all.
The around 12 oz racket is the accepted best all around racket weight for athletic, strong, in shape, and practiced players of any age or skill level.
Good you got there so soon.

Feeling very comfortable now really. Maybe because i'm a naturally strong man and love to work hard. Hope i can continue staying here.

LeeD
10-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I poke fun at your post because I'm a injured, really weak old fart, and can't wield a 12 oz racket for more than a set or so.
In the same vein, I could never be a SAW gunner, toting the 23 lbs machine gun, so only a CAR-15 for me.
No Conan battle sword, just a short quick Machete.

isilra
10-08-2012, 05:06 PM
I poke fun at your post because I'm a injured, really weak old fart, and can't wield a 12 oz racket for more than a set or so.
In the same vein, I could never be a SAW gunner, toting the 23 lbs machine gun, so only a CAR-15 for me.
No Conan battle sword, just a short quick Machete.

Yea but as you said;

"It's the Indian, not the bow, not the arrows, that hits the targets"

:)

prjacobs
10-08-2012, 05:46 PM
If you can, take some lessons from a certified pro. It will pay huge dividends.

LeeD
10-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Indian has to hump his bow, and about 24 arrows, everywhere he goes.
Somewhere in the tribe, there is David, who only needs to carry his sling.