PDA

View Full Version : TW's Granville & IG Prestige S

dje31
10-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Unintentional and surprising find today while surfing on TW: I clicked on the TW tester profile section. I've long had an affinity for Granville, as we're about the same age, size (okay, so I've got 20# on him), playing style, and typically like and agree with his comments and findings from testing reports.

I don't know how current his profile is, or when he made the change, but it lists him as using the IG Prestige S, with a few mods. Not a lot of ( recent ) interest, buzz, or love for this racquet of late...or even earlier, for that matter. Now, I confess, I'm drawn to it, at least to demo.

I haven't had the chance to demo any of the IG Prestiges, but I'm about to. I'd written off the S, but can't help but think Granville's on to something...perhaps a hidden gem. It seems designed as a platform, probably aimed at old farts like us.

I've happily been using a Gen 1 Volkl Tour 10 Mid for several years now, but with my wife's wrist issues and too much time dedicated to real world / non-tennis issues, we haven't played regularly for a while. Played on and off most of my life, starting at age 8, and played competitive from 12-18, now just for fun and fitness. Enough muscle memory and playing experience that the wife and I can take off 6 months or more at a stretch and fall back in within 15-30 minutes.

I've been hankering for a change, or at least a dabble in current product. Kept up with various offerings, if at arm's length, most of my life.

I recently picked up a Head YT Raptor MP for my 13-year old daughter, who's finally showing interest in the sport. Surprisingly solid stick, though way too light for my preference...but hey, I'm not getting any younger. The wife tried it as well, and her stick for the last several years has been the C10 Pro. I think she appreciated the lighter weight as well.

My ego says I want an IG Prestige Mid...local shop doesn't have a demo, so may grab one from TW. They have the MP, Pro, and S in demos locally. Logically, I can't help but wonder if the S is probably the right choice among the ones listed, with some mods ( leather grip, maybe a little well-placed lead ). I've resisted falling back to tweeners for a while now...perhaps a lighter player's stick will be the ticket.

Regardless, if I end up with any of the IG Prestiges, that clear CAP grommet has to go...purely for aesthetics. After all, black is the original black.

klementine79
10-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Nice frame. My wife had demo'd it as of late and I sat about 30min with it.

Stiffer than the MP but softer than the Pro. Did not have that 'ooh something is missing' feeling that I usually get from lighter frames and is not 'under powered' in any sort of way.

Just a nice frame that's easy to get along with.

dje31
10-09-2012, 05:35 PM
If Granville is reading and feels like chiming in, his input is more than welcome!

JackB1
10-09-2012, 05:50 PM
The Prestige S is a peculiar fit. Read the customer reviews on the TW page and you'll see what I mean. It's very low powered with a small sweetspot. It's a love it or hate it type of frame.

Granville is an accomplished 5.0+ player. If you are not similar level, then you with get the same results he does.

pattenww
10-09-2012, 06:41 PM
I've. Got to disagree with a lot of the negative comments re this racket. I have played many and think it is a very nice blend of power, comfort, not to heavy not to light and hits monster spin (I think it is a bit too open and would love it if it was 16/20). It is string sensitive and is a multi racket IMO (or poly must be 50 or less). No tension above 55 wil work well. If you are not a string breaker string this thing up with fxp tour at les then or equal to 55, take off the dampener and go. I think if you like the feel of instinct but want a bit more beef and control. This is the answer. Ps, my second favorite stick is pacific x force which I am glad to see is getting some recent love on this board. Ps-the S is NOT a tweener so do not expect it to play like one. TW does have power and sweet spot specs on it now - check it and you will be surprised.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Yes, I like these too. Not a million miles away from my beloved Volkls, actually, and they are very much a love them or hate them kind of frame. If they (like the Prestige 'S') are your thing, you will be in raptures.

Just not for everyone.

cork_screw
10-09-2012, 08:02 PM
A pretty recent racquet that was rated shows Granville using the Volkl C10 2012 model. That racquet rated was the Head Extreme 2.0 Pro. So maybe he's switching around. I tried the Head IG Prestige 18x20 and thought it was way more challenging than a lot of the playtesters perceived it to be, even for prestige standards, I'm not surprised if he switched.

Murray_fan1
10-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Are you sure you are not talking about Chris ? I don't believe Granville was part of the IG Extreme Pro 2.0 play test .

cork_screw
10-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Are you sure you are not talking about Chris ? I don't believe Granville was part of the IG Extreme Pro 2.0 play test .

My apologies, you are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I get them confused because I value both their opinions very highly.

dje31
10-10-2012, 05:42 AM
I've only used heavier, player-style, old-school game racquets since my teens, so I'm comfortable with their performance, and their demands. I've only committed to anything as big as a 98 once---Pure Control Swirly, the only Babolat I've hit that I've liked, but was tough on my joints. Everything else has been 95 or less...not looking for a tweener, but a lighter player's stick is probably just the ticket.

As an aside, I like the reviews that Chris gives as well.

dje31
10-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Re: Customer reviews, they have not been glowing about this racquet in general...but I'm willing to give it a try.

Unless Granville's using a PJ! Bring on the conspiracy theories! Even the testers are in on it!

BruceG
10-11-2012, 03:42 PM
I also noticed that Spenser is now listed as using the K-Blade Tour when I do recall him saying that he'd switched to the Prince EXO3 Tour. Gather he'd had some injury problems and wonder if that's a switch back to the Blade after issues with the Tour.

dje31
10-12-2012, 04:33 PM
So I picked up the IG Prestige S & MP demos from a local shop today. The Pro was already out, or I would have grabbed that as well.

I'm a pretty solid 4.5, even if I've been off for a while. Took up the game at eight (47 now), and played on and off most of my life. As mentioned earlier, I have enough muscle memory that I can take off several months and fall back in within 15-20 minutes. Been playing Volkl Tour 10 Mid since 2003. Could get to 5.5 if life's demands didn't get in the way so much. Always played heavier, lower-powered, smaller headed player's sticks, quite happily, I might add.

MP had a full bed of Sonic Pro. Can't remember what the S had, but it was a textured black poly. Will update when I talk to the shop again.

I'm of the mindset like a now-banned, infamous poster, that I know within 10 minutes whether a racquet will work for me or not. I've played long enough to know what works for me and what doesn't, usually pretty quickly.

We got the ball machine at the club this evening, splitting the time between myself and my daughter, who's relatively new to the game.

Looking at both frames, to the untrained eye, they look almost identical. The MP is 18x20, the S is 16x19. Looking closer, there are some subtle differences.

The MP is more of a traditional box-ish beam...not entirely box, but close by today's standards.

The S has a box-ish head, if a bit rounded, but not an aero profile. But the throat is more triangular in cross-section. The inboard section is the pointy part of the triangle.

I wonder if they even come from the same factory. Definitely different molds, though the overall shape matches. Not sure if it's because of the triangular throat cross-section, or different factories, but the specs are presented totally differently. Different font, different layout, on both sides.

Not sure how much the strings played into it, or how old either set was. The S was a smidgen tighter, but neither set showed appreciable wear.

Of the two, the MP had more visible wear marks, as if it had been demoed more than the S.

MP demo had no vibrastop damper. Pinged badly, didn't feel great. Dead-ish stringbed (maybe the age of the strings, not sure). Put a vibrastop in there...no appreciable improvement in performance, but at least the ping was gone.

S had no vibrastop either, but didn't seem to need it.

Never felt the love for the MP. Clicked much better with the S. Will swap out my normal setup (leather grip, suede side out) and try again. Usually prefer 17g strings, which being a 16x19, I'll be changing more regularly.

Brought out the T10Mid. I've played with it so long, it always feels like home. Like the narrower beam, as well as the familiarity of knowing what my shots are going to do. But the Prestige S is tempting...glad I read Granville's profile, or I never would have tried it.

Pretty much written off the MP. Will still demo the IG Prestige Pro, and the Mid, which I'll have to get from TW's demo program.

That being said, I could probably just pick up the Becker London Tour Mids (cheap, too), which are probably as close as I'll get to my T10 Mids. That or the PB10 Mid, or possibly the upcoming Organix 10 Mid.

Still, the Prestige S is tempting...I'm not getting any younger.

dje31
10-12-2012, 04:42 PM
One other thing...my wife loves the look of the clear / opaque CAP grommet. I told her, if I make the change and she does as well, she can have my extras, as I'd definitely swap out the stock ones for black.

dje31
10-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Was also surprised to see that the S has shared holes. Thought those had gone the way of the dodo...

dje31
10-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Also need to try the BB Melbourne, esp. @ $59 US, though I'm not a fan of white racquets.

dje31
10-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Throat bridge seems narrower on the S than the MP.

Overheadsmash
10-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I have the new S along with two of the new pro's.

i string that S up with a poly, usually TF Red Code 18 or Tourna Big Hitter Silver Rough. String at 50 and it opens up the sweetspot.

I use the S for doubles a lot, but if it really warm outside I will use it on Har Tru as well.

Great feel, very stable. Very fast. Need to swing it though. If I am blocking back a hard serve with the pro, I can get it pretty deep. The S you need to swing a little bit to make it go deep.

Good on serves though, especially if you are hitting an American twist serve.

dje31
10-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Swapped out the MP for the Pro. Haven't hit with it yet...but the S is indeed an anomaly among the Prestige lineup. Both are 16x19, but the S is more open in the center. Six bridge strings on the S, 8 on the Pro.

Eight shared grommet holes on the S, none on the Pro.

I'm guessing it'll be hard to find an alternative grommet strip for the S, CAP or not...suggestions welcomed. I suppose there's always a Sharpie.

Frankauc
10-13-2012, 02:58 PM
i played demoed the prestige s today for about 2h before the strings poped. I wanted to try the prestige mp but there wasnt one available. I'm about 4.5 5.0, i was really suprised. This is a really good racquet and i didnt need much ajustement. The feel is amazing and it is a good serving racquet! I will try the mp soon to compare. On the other hand, i also demoed the radical pro but right away after about 5 minutes i knew this wasnt for me, too powerful, too heavy.

dje31
10-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Getting closer. Hit with the wife this evening, with the IG Prestige Pro and S, along with one of my Tour 10 Mids...the wife had one of her C10 Pros, along with our daughter's new YT Raptor MP.

Prestige Pro was better than expected, considering it gets a lot of mixed reviews around here. It just wasn't that much better or different than my T10M, so can't see changing to it.

Put a leather grip on the S, and that may just be the ticket. Definitely swings lighter / faster / easier than the Pro or T10M, comfy, ball did what I wanted / expected it to.

Still want to try the Mid, but so far, of the three I've tried, the order would be:

1. IG Prestige S
2. IG Prestige Pro
3. IG Prestige MP

Still like / love the T10M, as it feels like home...but hitting with the same racquet for 8-9 years is bound to feel like that. Still might pick up a BB London Tour or two, but I could see making the Prestige S my #1.

Wife liked the S as well, but the Raptor a bit more...it was also a smaller grip size, as well as lighter. Strings are no great shakes. Might have her try one of the Instincts first.

dje31
10-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Took the demos back to the shop. Noticed that the IG Instincts also have the triangular throat cross section, and the different specs font / presentation...if anyone else cares or is paying attention.

pattenww
10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Took the demos back to the shop. Noticed that the IG Instincts also have the triangular throat cross section, and the different specs font / presentation...if anyone else cares or is paying attention.

I call the s the Instinct Pro

dje31
10-15-2012, 11:45 AM
I call the s the Instinct Pro

That's probably not a bad or inaccurate description...a bit smaller head, softer flex, narrower / constant beam, shared holes.

Why do I suddenly feel dirty? Like I'd be hitting a girl's racquet? Might as well change to Yonex...

I still like the Prestige S, even if it's an Instinct...kind of...way to ruin it for me, pattenww...

dje31
10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Delete post...

pattenww
10-15-2012, 03:10 PM
nahhhh if they made an instinct pro it would just be a bit heavier version instinct with 18x19 or 16x20..

> but they both have the wide open pattern, shared holes and triangular shaft.

RollTrackTake
10-16-2012, 09:35 PM
I bought a used Prestige S and found it very well rounded. It served well, groundstrokes were solid, especially when my footwork and prep were on point. The sweetspot isn't overly huge but that actually forced me to concentrate more and I had a better sense of when to attack as I knew when I hit a good shot. It was strung with pacific classic/prince syn gut around 55. I would have liked to try it with a full bed of multi. Really good feel to it. I've used mostly Prince racquets since I was 7 (28 yrs!!) and never really gelled with Head sticks. But this Prestige S I could use and really enjoy. I couldn't find anything I disliked about it. It just didn't do anything better than what I'm currently using so why switch. But really an underrated offering.

dje31
03-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Is Granville still sidelined with an injury? I thought I read something to that effect. Is he still using the Prestige S? In some profiles, it shows him using a PS 95 of some modern-ish vintage.

Just curious.

dje31
03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Just noticed the comments in the Volkl Organix 10 Mid review. I guess he's back from a shoulder injury, but now using a Pure Drive 107.

Oy.