PDA

View Full Version : Wilson ProStaff 85 Question

LanEvo
10-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Hey guys, regarding the PS85 new batches from TW, are they constantly getting new batches? Or are they just selling what they have left? I am considering picking up a a pair myself, one to hit with, and one to keep on my wall for collection.

Also, do the new ones play similar to the older ones?

gavna
10-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Wilson made them for shops who are willing to buy a minimum amount.....TW did and had multiple orders. It's all new production - and no they don't play like the originals - still play nice.

mad dog1
10-10-2012, 01:44 PM
they play similar enough that you know they're from the same family. the new re-issues have more flex than the Taiwan and China versions I have. The older versions are stiffer and feel a bit more solid and dampened, but my fave happens to be the new re-issued model.

LanEvo
10-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Alright, thanks guy, I got one on TW last night. At $129 and an extra 10% off, I couldn't resist.

mad dog1
10-10-2012, 02:38 PM
it's got that old school feel. and is a super fun hit. enjoy!

try it w/ premium gut mains w/ lux alu power crosses. this setup plays incredibly.

Anton
10-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Too good to pass up.

Just ordered one with 16g VS gut mains (54) and Alu power rough crosses at 52lbs ( it only comes in 16L). Hopefully this string setup is not going to be too thick.

LanEvo
10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Too good to pass up.

Just ordered one with 16g VS gut mains (54) and Alu power rough crosses at 52lbs ( it only comes in 16L). Hopefully this string setup is not going to be too thick.

I ordered mine unstrung, trying to decide if I wanna get another. I wanna get one to play with and one to hang on my wall.

mad dog1
10-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Anton, it should be fine. the PS85 has a fairly open 16x18 string pattern so i've found that 16, 16L or 1.25 and greater gauges work better in this stick.

big ted
10-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Alright, thanks guy, I got one on TW last night. At $129 and an extra 10% off, I couldn't resist.

extra 10% off?

LanEvo
10-10-2012, 11:37 PM
extra 10% off?

Yep, extra 10% off.

BreakPoint
10-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Yep, extra 10% off.
Why?? How??

LanEvo
10-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Why?? How??

I sent you an email.

kimbahpnam
10-11-2012, 12:18 AM
I sent you an email.

you're not going to share with everybody??? i would get one too!

NickJ
10-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Will they ever be getting the 95" version???

LanEvo
10-11-2012, 12:24 AM
you're not going to share with everybody??? i would get one too!

I figured it would be pretty obvious if I said it. But I will send you an email as well, and give everyone a big hint "The Social Network".

Edit: Just saw, you do not have an email attached to your account.

LanEvo
10-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Will they ever be getting the 95" version???

I honestly doubt it, aside from the 85, the 95 was just not big enough hype-wise to bring it back. On top of that, if they bring the 95 back, they will have to bring back a whole lineup basically bc after the 95, someone will ask for another model.

kimbahpnam
10-11-2012, 12:28 AM
I figured it would be pretty obvious if I said it. But I will send you an email as well, and give everyone a big hint "The Social Network".

Edit: Just saw, you do not have an email attached to your account.

oops, edited.

but i don't see anything on the site that says anything about an extra 10 off?

NickJ
10-11-2012, 05:00 AM
I honestly doubt it, aside from the 85, the 95 was just not big enough hype-wise to bring it back. On top of that, if they bring the 95 back, they will have to bring back a whole lineup basically bc after the 95, someone will ask for another model.

Shame. The 95 has been the ONLY frame I have ever been truly happy with. I have 1 left from a stock of about 10 of them which have all been damaged/cracked etc over years of use. I'm even scared to use this 1 I have left in case something tragic happens to it!!

LanEvo
10-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Just got mine in the mail. It's new.

NickJ
10-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Just got mine in the mail. It's new.

Let us know how it plays. Happy for ya!

LanEvo
10-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Let us know how it plays. Happy for ya!

Yea, about that... I am debating between stringing it up or just hanging it on my wall... what do you think?

Karstic
10-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Yea, about that... I am debating between stringing it up or just hanging it on my wall... what do you think?
String it up. If it were a St. Vincent (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/60/StVincent.html), it may be a wall hanger, but this one is not a collectible. Mine should arrive today and will be strung right away. Just trying to decide what to put in it.

NickJ
10-12-2012, 05:02 AM

Buy 2 . . . ?

LanEvo
10-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Buy 2 . . . ?

I can only afford 1 right now, being a college student funds were limited to just 1 and that was even pushing my spending budget. The only reason I got one was bc of the extra discount, but it is not available or anymore or I'd seriously think about a second.

anirut
10-12-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm getting a bumper-less PS85 tomorrow. Will describe more once I get it in my hands.

Anton
10-14-2012, 06:02 AM
I can only afford 1 right now, being a college student funds were limited to just 1 and that was even pushing my spending budget. The only reason I got one was bc of the extra discount, but it is not available or anymore or I'd seriously think about a second.

Here's my thoughts on that - I'm a tennis player not an interior designer, so I get rackets to play with.

If you feel you need $110+ wall decoration go ahead and hang it up. :)

Anton
10-14-2012, 06:50 AM
So I played with it yesterday:

Strings (16g VS main 54, 16L ALU power rough cross 52) - In 60 degrees weather feels really good, smooth but with good feedback. No string fixing needed and barely any wear showing after 4 hours of hitting.

Racket:

My 85 is VERY light to swing, but builds up momentum and swings through the stroke nicely. nCode 90 feels heavier through the swing.

Just hitting the 85's stringbed with my hand, torsional stability is just adequate not to need lead fix right away. Top of the loop feels buzzy and weak, sweet spot seems to be low. To compare, my nCode 90 feels solid everywhere. The initial impression is 85 is more like half done prototype and nTour90 is the final product.

Actually playing: took me about 20 min to get dialed in and stop shanking, but then I really started clicking with this racket. The key was to just relax the arm and get full torso rotation to hit everything way in front a-la Federer. That's what I try to do with other rackets anyway, but I think this racket facilitates and even demands this style (in stock form) as half-assed strokes just go short. With relaxed form and quick footwork this racket gives you a great mix of quick reaction, precision and power.

Defensive play really surprised me, I thought the top loop would be too weak to get out-wide balls back in play, but that was not the case at all, in fact my defensive game was really good and I was able to slice up and block my way back into many points. My returns towards the end of the day started getting really confident and aggressive.

So all and all a great racket to try. Not sure if I was actually more competitive playing with it, but I did fell like I was playing better tennis and really enjoying the game.

sureshs
10-14-2012, 08:10 AM
So I played with it yesterday:

Strings (16g VS main 54, 16L ALU power rough cross 52) - In 60 degrees weather feels really good, smooth but with good feedback. No string fixing needed and barely any wear showing after 4 hours of hitting.

Racket:

My 85 is VERY light to swing, but builds up momentum and swings through the stroke nicely. nCode 90 feels heavier through the swing.

Just hitting the 85's stringbed with my hand, torsional stability is just adequate not to need lead fix right away. Top of the loop feels buzzy and weak, sweet spot seems to be low. To compare, my nCode 90 feels solid everywhere. The initial impression is 85 is more like half done prototype and nTour90 is the final product.

Actually playing: took me about 20 min to get dialed in and stop shanking, but then I really started clicking with this racket. The key was to just relax the arm and get full torso rotation to hit everything way in front a-la Federer. That's what I try to do with other rackets anyway, but I think this racket facilitates and even demands this style (in stock form) as half-assed strokes just go short. With relaxed form and quick footwork this racket gives you a great mix of quick reaction, precision and power.

Defensive play really surprised me, I thought the top loop would be too weak to get out-wide balls back in play, but that was not the case at all, in fact my defensive game was really good and I was able to slice up and block my way back into many points. My returns towards the end of the day started getting really confident and aggressive.

So all and all a great racket to try. Not sure if I was actually more competitive playing with it, but I did fell like I was playing better tennis and really enjoying the game.

All that is exactly what I have been experiencing for a year now, but the key really is the last sentence. That is the trade-off you need to make.

Anton
10-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Oh and by the way the frame scratches easily, no double clear coats here. ;)

BreakPoint
10-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Oh and by the way the frame scratches easily, no double clear coats here. ;)
That's not been my experience. In fact, I think the PS 6.0 85's all matte black finish makes it much less susceptible to scratches and paint chips than a frame with lots of different colors painted on it like the K90, in which the paint falls off even if you just look at it the wrong way. :shock:

UCSF2012
10-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Shame. The 95 has been the ONLY frame I have ever been truly happy with. I have 1 left from a stock of about 10 of them which have all been damaged/cracked etc over years of use. I'm even scared to use this 1 I have left in case something tragic happens to it!!

The 95 is still available for sale online, but you'd have to pay a premium for it. The store is asking $300 each.

Anton
10-20-2012, 04:00 PM
So after hitting some more I added 2.5 grams total lead starting at just above the 3 and 9 bulges - top loop instability is gone and the frame just feels solid all around, maneuverability didn't suffer significantly. I think this really makes this racket complete.

Haven't had any seriously competitive matches yet, but I've hit VERY consistently with it and feel like I'm playing really good.

lendlmac
10-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Are you usinga string dampener? I got mine last Tuesday also - and strung with natural gut at 48lbs and added three layers of lead to the top hoop, aa Federer style and now i wont put this racquet down!

Power and plow through pushes everyone behind baseline... Nadal style players with heavy topspin are no match to the heftyness of the 85 and negates all their loopy topspin on contact hitting flat and passing them by with ease!

I had to laugh cause they have 100sq in frames, glossy, baboats heads or wilsons and my little 85 is crushing punishing all in rallies and having sooooooooooo much fun playing with it.
:shock:

Anton
10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
I just happen to find a black Sampras donut damper the day I got the racket, so I used that. Was going to swap in a rubber band I usually use but now that the racket is working out really good I don't want to change anything.

Racket came out to 12.74 oz on scales (2.5g lead, overgrip, damper)