PDA

View Full Version : Better volleyer: Llodra or Stepanek?

The Bawss
10-10-2012, 04:42 AM
As title. They are almost certainly the best volleyers in the singles ATP top 100.
Who would you give the nod to?

Sim
10-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Llodra but as far as baselining goes, it is definitely Stepanek.

Romismak
10-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Probably Llodra, but i think it is close, because Stepanek simply plays more from baseline but when he goes to the net he is good, Llodra on other point plays even more often at the net and because of this is sometimes loosing some points, Lopez is probably 3rd best volleys - and last guy who is going to net really often - yes guys like Roger or Tsonga can go to the net but they are baseliners.

dangalak
10-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Probably Llodra, but i think it is close, because Stepanek simply plays more from baseline but when he goes to the net he is good, Llodra on other point plays even more often at the net and because of this is sometimes loosing some points, Lopez is probably 3rd best volleys - and last guy who is going to net really often - yes guys like Roger or Tsonga can go to the net but they are baseliners.

What about Gasquet, Haas, Fish, Mahut etc :)

Wilander Fan
10-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Llodra. A little less now but a couple of years ago he was S&V and chip and charge on every point.

augustobt
10-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Llodra by a country mile.

Nostradamus
10-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Stepanek has more feel like Mcenroe and Llodra has more power and Pizzaaazz.

The Bawss
10-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Llodra by a country mile.

Have you seen the worm recently? Boi got skillz at the net.

augustobt
10-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Have you seen the worm recently? Boi got skillz at the net.

Yes, saw him playing against the argentineans in the Davis. I think that Llodra's volleys are very sick.

OHBH
10-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Saw Llordra play in the first round of the US Open this year. He wound up losing in four but his volley were ridiculously good. Only until watching that match did I truly understand that S&V was no longer a viable strategy at the pro level.

Gonzo_style
10-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Llodra, but Stepanek is better on baseline...

Romismak
10-10-2012, 08:02 AM
What about Gasquet, Haas, Fish, Mahut etc :)

HAve you seen Gasquet today? he was all the time behind baseline and when comes to the net, nothing special, Mahut is playing SV often and can go to the net a lot during matches i forgot him, Fish is baseliner mostly and Haas is great:D

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Llodra's volley is more unconventional but better at volleying than Stepanek.

dominikk1985
10-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Saw Llordra play in the first round of the US Open this year. He wound up losing in four but his volley were ridiculously good. Only until watching that match did I truly understand that S&V was no longer a viable strategy at the pro level.

well I think this is partly because he is not a powerful server. I think a guy who volleys like him but serves like Dent or Isner could still be quite succesfull.

ivo karlovic was 14 in the world in 2008 and he is a poor volleyer (well the volleys are not that terrible but the movement at the net is).

Evan77
10-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Llodra is better but not by far as sexy Radek is pretty good too. Glad to see this thread tho as both Steps and Llodra are dying species. I have to admit I'm a big fan of both of them, because they are so different.

jaggy
10-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Steppers got magic fingers and a magic stick

The Bawss
10-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Llodra is better but not by far as sexy Radek is pretty good too. Glad to see this thread tho as both Steps and Llodra are dying species. I have to admit I'm a big fan of both of them, because they are so different.

I thought it would be a nice change. Too many threads about the "Big 4" et al. Anyway yeah I started this thread after seeing Stepanek take Gasquet apart in Shanghai playing great tennis considering his playing style, his outdated grip and his age.

Evan77
10-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I thought it would be a nice change. Too many threads about the "Big 4" et al. Anyway yeah I started this thread after seeing Stepanek take Gasquet apart in Shanghai playing great tennis considering his playing style, his outdated grip and his age.
Bawss, I appreciate your opinion and like reading your posts. Sure, I tend to fool around on this board etc. but it is nice to read and talk about other players than Djok/Fed/Rafa/Murray.

augustobt
10-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Damn Llodra! You had the chance to prove that I was correct =\

The-Champ
10-21-2012, 08:11 PM
The big 4 have some of the best returns and passing shots in the game.

What's Llodra and Stepanek's record against the 4 monsters? That would indicate how good their volleying skills are. It's quite unfair to llodra though. He approaches the net more.

Murrayalmagrofan
10-21-2012, 08:14 PM
I give the nod to Stepanek!

davo81
10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Probably Llodra, but i think it is close, because Stepanek simply plays more from baseline but when he goes to the net he is good, Llodra on other point plays even more often at the net and because of this is sometimes loosing some points

I think this is a great summary. Llodra is a better volleyer, but a worse tennis player. Watching ten minutes of Llodra is very entertaining, but the problem is that once you've seen those ten minutes you've seen it all - because his game is extremely one-dimensional and predictable. Reminds me a bit of some older club players who always go to the net even though it really costs them many points. A pro should know better, but maybe he just doesn't give a damn...