PDA

View Full Version : Ask me anything about being a professional tennis player

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Hi guys,

http://i.imgur.com/xDXjf.jpg

My name is Filip, I am from Vancouver, Canada and I am a professional tennis player.

This year, I made the finals of all 4 junior Grand Slams, winning at Wimbledon and the US Open to finish the year as the #1 ITF junior.

In the next year, I will mostly be playing on the Challenger and Futures circuits.

A friend talked me into joining the board, and it seems like a great place to talk tennis with other fans and players. I will try to post a few times a week. In the meantime, feel free to ask me anything about life on tour!

Filip Peliwo
Twitter: @filippeliwo

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm almost exactly a month younger than you and was wondering what pro life is like? Is it stressful, do you enjoy the ride?

I'm curious because I had the choice to dedicate myself to tennis at a young age or to play it casually. I chose the latter but I always wondered what it would be like if I tried to make a career out of tennis.

The Bawss
10-10-2012, 08:52 AM
What is different about Juniors tennis and ATP circuit tennis? How hard is the transition?

robbo1970
10-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Should Federer switch to a 95?

I'm sorry I'm kidding. You will see many threads debating this point.

Welcome aboard and get involved with some of the threads, all knowledge is very welcome.

tennis_pro
10-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Can you speak Polish (not that it has anything to do with being a pro...)?

Btw if this is true, it would be great for a real pro to join the boards. Check in as often as you can, mate!

mmk
10-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Nice of you to do this, and good luck. Given your tennis career so far, you've won the majority of your matches. For a while at least that probably won't be the case, how do you prepare yourself for that?

No1e
10-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Who is your favorite player?

mike84
10-10-2012, 09:05 AM
congratulations on all success so far and good luck on your transition to pro circuit.

have you had chance to practice with roger, nadal, novak?

what is your typical week look like?

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm almost exactly a month younger than you and was wondering what pro life is like? Is it stressful, do you enjoy the ride?

I'm curious because I had the choice to dedicate myself to tennis at a young age or to play it casually. I chose the latter but I always wondered what it would be like if I tried to make a career out of tennis.

Life on the pro tour is definitely different from juniors. For one thing, the stakes are a lot higher, as you are playing for ATP points and money. The guys are obviously a lot stronger, so the game is quite different as well. Itís not the same kind of stress as in juniors, because you are generally the underdog when you play against the top players, whereas in juniors (at least in my case) you generally have more pressure and expectations. The rewards are greater than those on the junior tour, so I definitely enjoy playing on the pro tour. Itís something that Iíve worked for most of my life, and its great to see myself progressing through the rankings.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Can you speak Polish (not that it has anything to do with being a pro...)?

Btw if this is true, it would be great for a real pro to join the boards. Check in as often as you can, mate!

Thanks!

Yes, I can speak read and write Polish quite fluently

The Meat
10-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Looked at some of your matches, you have an amazing game!!!

Good luck in the pro circuit!

moonpie
10-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Welcome aboard this crazy train and thanks for offering us some insight from the professional side. When you start traveling with the challenger/ futures tour, will you get any help from any of the tennis organizations , since you did so well as a junior, or will you be pretty much on your own. Who is your coach? I wish you the best and will be watching for your name on the player lists.

Sim
10-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Edit:Wrong thread.

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-10-2012, 09:21 AM
If you come down to Miami I'll come watch your matches. :)

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Nice of you to do this, and good luck. Given your tennis career so far, you've won the majority of your matches. For a while at least that probably won't be the case, how do you prepare yourself for that?

Well, as I noted in my answer to a previous question, on the pro tour I am generally going into matches as an underdog. Because of this, there isn't nearly as much pressure, which therefore allows me to play loose and relaxed. However I do expect to win a few rounds at least in every single tournament I enter,no matter at what level.

citybert
10-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for doing this. As a promising upcoming junior who is in your travel team? Is it just you and the coach? do you use the Physio from the tournaments that the ATP provides?

How is it not knowing what country you are in sometimes when you wake up?

Thanks again

Seth
10-10-2012, 09:31 AM
If you play any tournaments in North Carolina, let us know. I'll bring a crowd. :)

DejZ
10-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Could you pls tell us something about your game,about strengths and weaknesses you know?(if you have them of course)

kOaMaster
10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
What are your long-term expectations? What do you personally and honestly think would be a realistic goal to achieve in your career?

Evan77
10-10-2012, 09:41 AM
welcome and all the best to you. I'd love to see you playing so if you have any videos it would be awesome if you can post them.

what's your current rankings? have you ever met Raonic?

Torres
10-10-2012, 09:51 AM
How much travelling do you do? Are you away every week or do you still manage to spend say 50% of the time still at home? Do your parents accompany you along with a coach? Would be interested in hearing about the logistical, itinerary, travelling, time side of things.

Slightly awkward question but how much does all that global travelling cost? Presumably your family is quite wealthy?

dgoran
10-10-2012, 09:54 AM
I was always curious about junior to pro transition and your equipement (racquet) specs. Mainly if there was any adjustment to your racquet specs: sw weight balance etc due to pros quality of shots vs junior shots.

And of course what are your current racquet of choice and swing weight weight balance flex etc...is it pro stock Wilson or off the shelf

tennis_pro
10-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Oh and btw if you win a major in the future, please mention me in your speech, bro!

"And I'd like to thank all my fans especially tennis_pro from TW..."

:)

TheCanadian
10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Thank you for joining this forum. It's great to have the opportunity to chat to somebody who's actually living the life many of us wished we had.

My first questions: many top juniors did not make an equally successful transition into professional tennis. In fact, some had relatively mediocre pro careers. Why do you think this is so?

What are your short-term and long-term goals?

Do you think a below average height in professional tennis is a significant hurdle today?

At what age did you start playing tennis and what kind of regimen did you follow? For example, how much time a week did you spend on a court at the age of 5, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, etc. And now? How much time did you spend in the gym and on fitness? And now?

I assume many coaches at a hand in your development, would you like to mention some names?

How many hours should a kid spend in (private or otherwise) lessons in a typical week versus practicing? It seems to me that too many parents spend a fortune on lessons when a kid should be practicing and playing matches.

tistrapukcipeht
10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I personally think that Liam Broady is a beast left player, it probably is a nightmare to play that guy. What did you do to beat him strategically wise?

About Sponsorship:

2--You are sponsored by Wilson, do you get paid as well or you just get the equipment?

About Equipment:

Most people here in this forum brag about heavy racquets and mid size racquets, I here ask you:

3-What's your racquet's weight?

4-Would a mid size racquet be a step back to your career ??

I appreciated your time and answers if you would.

Thanks

Prisoner of Birth
10-10-2012, 10:18 AM
First of all, welcome to the board! Nice to see actual players who know their stuff post here. Secondly, do stick around. This place will be the better for it.

dmcb101
10-10-2012, 10:41 AM
As a teaching pro, I was wondering what type of drills you do for an average practice.Is there a specific drill that you do almost every practice? Thanks!

GoaLaSSo
10-10-2012, 10:49 AM
I saw you play a bit and you just got a new fan!

cmb
10-10-2012, 10:49 AM
the tour must be boring! in fact it must have reached an epic level of boredom if you are posting on talk tennis at 8 in the morning.

dont worry filip....we are here for you! lOOOL

Geology_Rocks!
10-10-2012, 10:56 AM
First Congratulations and welcome to the boards!

Saw your match at Wimbledon, you have an awesome game.

Very nice of you to join the forum, would love to hear whatever you gotta say about the tour, especially about equipment.

augustobt
10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi Filip! I was cheering for you to take down Saville at the AO, came close but didn't happened, and then you did it in Wimbledon. That was nice!

My question is: How many do you spend in a professional year?

LeeD
10-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks for coming on this forum.
One thing WE could help YOU with.... We can put you up for a few nights near some of the events you're going to, so you can save time and money looking for a place to hang and shower. And if we provide you transportation to or from the event site, it would make it almost worth your while to answer some of our dumb question.
You only need to post your proposed schedule a few weeks in advance, and I"m sure you can find a place to say, some food, a shower, and maybe a ride.
That part alone usually takes up hours of your time, and distracts you from focusing on your match.

kishnabe
10-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Have you ever trained at the Rogers Cup Indoor Bubble? Hopefully we will get to see you play the tournament in Toronto in 2014.
Nestor(frequently), Milosh and Cilic have shown up there at times.

You look very relieved after the Wimbledon title, did it change how you treated the US Open?

Lastly, what do you think is the main improvement in the Canadian Tennis program?

Thanks for representing Canada and inspiring other juniors.

Before I forget, it was nice to see you do the traditional Can DC dance in Montreal.

mike84
10-10-2012, 11:27 AM
welcome and all the best to you. I'd love to see you playing so if you have any videos it would be awesome if you can post them.

not hard to find his full matches online

here is recent one
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/25091667

thejackal
10-10-2012, 11:40 AM
the tour must be boring! in fact it must have reached an epic level of boredom if you are posting on talk tennis at 8 in the morning.

dont worry filip....we are here for you! lOOOL

just as a FYI, Filip had no idea what TalkTennis was until I showed him a week or so ago.

Being on tour IS pretty boring at times, though, especially when it rains...

jaggy
10-10-2012, 11:53 AM
When will you overtake Donald Young in the rankings?

kishnabe
10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
just as a FYI, Filip had no idea what TalkTennis was until I showed him a week or so ago.

Are you a tennis coach, or a TC representative, or some other qualification?

LeeD
10-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Tennis players on the cusp spend lots of time trying to kill time, and nowadaze, everyone has a computer of some sorts.
Time waiting for flights, time waiting for rides, time waiting for practice to begin, time waiting for food, just tons of time to kill.
What better way to kill time than to answer your fans and also arrange some living and eating schedules?

seattle_1hander
10-10-2012, 12:26 PM
What do you think of that lazy @ssclown bernard tomic?

Prisoner of Birth
10-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Hey, don't even respond to these guys trying to start up something with their comments on other players.

DolgoSantoro
10-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the forum! I hope our insanity doesn't scare you off.

I was wondering, who is the highest ranked player you've hit with/played against and what did you think of them?

Good luck with your future!

BlueB
10-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Welcome on board! Very nice that you do this!
Very cool to have the next tennis hope from the same city and also of the Slavic origin! I'll be cheering for you.

I hope you don't mind that I posted this nice pic of you.

http://northerngrip.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Peliwo2.jpg

Question: Have you trained with Dimitri at Global, or in the North Van?

krz
10-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm just curious if you look through the threads in the "Pro Player Discussion" section and just laugh at some of the absurd comments/topics.

You should really post in tips and tricks though. Post a vid of yourself in practice, ask people what your NTRP is. "3.5 at best" :)

galain
10-10-2012, 01:17 PM
I'd also be interested to know how things go with finances if it's not too forward. Not necessarily yourself, but in general at the junior level and the satellite level - I suspect we never get to see many talented players because the finances just don't stretch that far?

TennisLovaLova
10-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Great thread amigo.

In the clay season there are tons of challengers here in morocco
That Martin Klizan giy won 2 of them just last year!
And for discovering some new cultures and new people, being a pro travelling the world must be great, hope u enjoy it.

Btw if you have an iphone you can access the forum anytime you want by using the tapatalk app

tennisaddict
10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Fillip
Welcome to the boards.

I loved your Gangnam dance, it was posted on Sports Illustrated couple of days back

http://tennis.si.com/2012/10/08/gangnam-style-tennis-novak-djokovic-laura-robson/

I have been following you since the begining of this year. I noticed you beat some very good players even at the Pro Level in the Canadian Challengers.

Also i noticed you were part of the practice team for the Davis Cup.

I hope you will reach the upper echelons in the next few years.

One favor : Tell something awesome about Federer.

Thanks..

thejackal
10-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I'd also be interested to know how things go with finances if it's not too forward. Not necessarily yourself, but in general at the junior level and the satellite level - I suspect we never get to see many talented players because the finances just don't stretch that far?

Stats from the USTA:

The average expenditure of a tour player: $143K per year

Breakeven point (where prize earnings = expenses): #119ATP, or #145 WTA

The average player is on tour for 7 years, and takes 3-4 years to break into the top 100 (if she/he lasts that long on tour)

Imagine a business operating at a loss for the first 3 years of its existence, and that's pretty close to the actual financial situation of a tour player.

It takes a lot of financial help from federations, sponsors and family members/friends to make it, not just talent

Great Uncle Bulgaria
10-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Congrats on your amazing year - hope your success continues.

You said you will mostly be playing on the Challenger and Futures circuits. Is there any chance of you getting a wildcard into one of the bigger tournaments or is it too soon?

rufus_smith
10-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Got any current funding from government or corporations or associations or other sponsors?
How do you plan to support your career expenses?

Wish you well, btw

Rock Strongo
10-10-2012, 02:01 PM
That's rather demoralizing, you're as near as makes no difference a month older than me and look at where you are!:)

Very warm welcome from an otherwise cold country. Should you be around and you need a personal chef, don't hesitate to send me an email;) Hope you'll do well in the near (and distant) future!

Long Face
10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi guys,

My name is Filip, I am from Vancouver, Canada and I am a professional tennis player.

Filip Peliwo

Hey Filip,

Greetings from a fellow Vancouverite. Congrats on your success this year!

Where do you train, when you're not travelling?

sureshs
10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Filip, hope you don't mind a technical question. The Tips section in this forum is dominated by advice by club players who have never played high-level tennis so this is a rare opportunity.

What tips can you give about hitting a topspin forehand with the right balance of spin and pace (depending on the situation), and the control over the direction (down the line or cross court), even though the swing motion is approximately the same? In other words, what is the difference you consciously make to achieve a particular speed/spin mix and direction compared to another combination?

Hidious
10-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi Filip,

It is so generous of you to post on this forum! I became a big fan of you after i saw you win the Wimbledon JR title, live on RDS! I was instantly won over by your intense attitude and body language (and of course your game).

I am very excited about the future of Canadian tennis, people here have been waiting for a Canadian breakthrough forever and having you and Eugenie as the 2 JR #1s is very exciting to say the least! Let's hope the successes can keep coming in the big leagues!

Questions:
1- Have you tried hitting on Eugenie (yes, on, not with) at the club and do you think I have a shot with her?
Just kidding of course. On a more serious note:
2- I am obviously curious about your gear. As a sponsored player, I am not sure you're allowed to divulge such info, but are you playing with a retail Blade? If so, any lead/modifications?
3- You are not a big guy physically but i was amazed at the amount of power you could generate. The modern game is so geared towards power, do your trainers put a lot of emphasis on training in the gym or is that not really a priority for now?

BTW, I am from Magog, QC and some of the other pros working for my organization (Tennestrie/Tennis Sherbrooke) told me you were suppose to make an appearance at the Hermitage Club this summer. I haven't seen them since; did either Jordan or Alex get a chance to hit with you?

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Who is your favorite player?

Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, (present time Novak Djokovic)

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 02:48 PM
have you had chance to practice with roger, nadal, novak?

Haven't had the chance to play with them yet, though I've played multiple times with Raonic and Cilic (since his coach Bob Brett also works with Tennis Canada)

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks for doing this. As a promising upcoming junior who is in your travel team? Is it just you and the coach? do you use the Physio from the tournaments that the ATP provides?

Generally its just me and my coach. I try to use the physios whenever they are available (usually just at the bigger tournaments).

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 02:51 PM

I havent checked in a while, but I think Im around ATP#560 or so.

Yes I've met Milos Raonic. In fact I've had many opportunities to hit with Milos at Grand Slams as well as during the Davis Cup tie against South Africa (I was a practice partner on the team). Played a few sets against him, had trouble off of his serve, but off the ground I can more than hold my own. ;)

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 02:54 PM
How much travelling do you do? Are you away every week or do you still manage to spend say 50% of the time still at home? Do your parents accompany you along with a coach? Would be interested in hearing about the logistical, itinerary, travelling, time side of things.

Slightly awkward question but how much does all that global travelling cost? Presumably your family is quite wealthy?

I would say I'm away about 60% of the year. My parents never really accompany me on the trips, as its quite expensive.

I actually don't take care of the travel arrangements, as Tennis Canada does that for me. They pay for pretty much everything, including flights, hotels, training. Without them I would not be able to travel like I have been for the past few years.

My parents are far from wealthy, in fact they went into debt trying to support my tennis before Tennis Canada provided me with funding. All in all I am extremely fortunate to be able to play on the tour, and would not be able to if not for Tennis Canada's support, so I'd like to thank them.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I was always curious about junior to pro transition and your equipement (racquet) specs. Mainly if there was any adjustment to your racquet specs: sw weight balance etc due to pros quality of shots vs junior shots.

And of course what are your current racquet of choice and swing weight weight balance flex etc...is it pro stock Wilson or off the shelf

Up until this point, I have been using a stock version of the Wilson Blade BLX 98. I have started to experiment a bit with lead tape, but I am just in the early stages of trying it out, not far enough to use it in tournaments yet. So, yes, I use a stock version of the racket, SL3 mold to be exact.

Prisoner of Birth
10-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I just had a look at your recent Grand Slam record and it was very interesting.

Wimbledon (traditionally, the fastest surface) : You win in 2 sets
US Open (traditionally, the second fastest surface) : You win in 3 sets
Australian Open (the third fastest surface) : You lose in 3 sets
French Open (the slowest surface) : You lose in 2 sets

It's a progression! You seem to like the faster surfaces better. Is that right or was it just a co-incidence of sorts?

InvisibleSoul
10-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Greetings from another Vancouverite!

I was having this discussion with a coworker a month or so ago.

We were wondering how your level as a top junior compares to some of the top long-time non-pros in town here, like Henry Choi and David Chu.

Have you played those guys before?

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Thank you for joining this forum. It's great to have the opportunity to chat to somebody who's actually living the life many of us wished we had.

My first questions: many top juniors did not make an equally successful transition into professional tennis. In fact, some had relatively mediocre pro careers. Why do you think this is so?

What are your short-term and long-term goals?

Do you think a below average height in professional tennis is a significant hurdle today?

At what age did you start playing tennis and what kind of regimen did you follow? For example, how much time a week did you spend on a court at the age of 5, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, etc. And now? How much time did you spend in the gym and on fitness? And now?

I assume many coaches at a hand in your development, would you like to mention some names?

How many hours should a kid spend in (private or otherwise) lessons in a typical week versus practicing? It seems to me that too many parents spend a fortune on lessons when a kid should be practicing and playing matches.

It's a tough question to answer, as the reasons for either success or failure are quite different for everyone. Some players didn't succeed were that they didn't train hard enough, others were set back because of injuries, and some others just never had what it takes to be a top pro from the start.

My short term goals are to be around the top 500 by the end of this year, while the ultimate goal is to be the #1 player in the world and winning Grand Slams.

I first tried playing tennis around the age of 5, but I didnt start playing on a regular basis until I was 7 or 8. Even then I only played a few times a week. I would say I got a lot more serious about my training when I was 10 or 11 years old. I don't really remember how much I played exactly back then, but it wasn't as much as I needed to, as I had trouble finding hitting partners.

At the moment, a typical training day would include around 4 hours of tennis and 2 hours of fitness, although this can vary greatly depending on what we are focusing on at any given time.

My dad definitely deserves most of the credit for developing me until I started working with Tennis Canada, midway through the year I turned 15. Afterwards, I started working with Guillaume Marx and Jocelyn Robichaud, who are still my coaches at the moment, as well as Kieran Foy as my fitness trainer.

That last question is also tough to answer, as it really depends on the player's needs at the time. I would say its good to do about 50% lessons and 50% matchplay and sparring with other players, typically.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 03:00 PM
I personally think that Liam Broady is a beast left player, it probably is a nightmare to play that guy. What did you do to beat him strategically wise?

Basically I just try to do the same thing I would against anyone, which is to try to play my game rather than let him enforce his strengths. I don't want to give away too much about it as I will probably run into him on Tour (and I hope I will because we've had some epic battles haha).

Doublebounce
10-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Here's a funny question. Do you regret dancing to Gangnam Style in Montreal? Do you find that harder to do than playing tennis in front of thousands of people?

For those who have not seen the video, do a quick YouTube search.

Prisoner of Birth
10-10-2012, 03:02 PM
It's a tough question to answer, as the reasons for either success or failure are quite different for everyone. Some players didn't succeed were that they didn't train hard enough, others were set back because of injuries, and some others just never had what it takes to be a top pro from the start.

My short term goals are to be around the top 500 by the end of this year, while the ultimate goal is to be the #1 player in the world and winning Grand Slams.

I first tried playing tennis around the age of 5, but I didnt start playing on a regular basis until I was 7 or 8. Even then I only played a few times a week. I would say I got a lot more serious about my training when I was 10 or 11 years old. I don't really remember how much I played exactly back then, but it wasn't as much as I needed to, as I had trouble finding hitting partners.

At the moment, a typical training day would include around 4 hours of tennis and 2 hours of fitness, although this can vary greatly depending on what we are focusing on at any given time.

My dad definitely deserves most of the credit for developing me until I started working with Tennis Canada, midway through the year I turned 15. Afterwards, I started working with Guillaume Marx and Jocelyn Robichaud, who are still my coaches at the moment, as well as Kieran Foy as my fitness trainer.

That last question is also tough to answer, as it really depends on the player's needs at the time. I would say its good to do about 50% lessons and 50% matchplay and sparring with other players, typically.

It'll be great to see that happen. Keep at it, you're shooting for the moon! :)

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 03:02 PM
As a teaching pro, I was wondering what type of drills you do for an average practice.Is there a specific drill that you do almost every practice? Thanks!

Most of the drills I do are focused on movement, speed, and consistency. We try to vary them when we can, but if I had to choose one, I would say its when my coach is at the net volleying, moving me all around the court, into the net and back to the baseline, side to side. I have to make 6 or 7 sets of 40 shots in a row generally, although that is open to change depending on what I need to work on.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 03:04 PM
You look very relieved after the Wimbledon title, did it change how you treated the US Open?

Lastly, what do you think is the main improvement in the Canadian Tennis program?

Thanks for representing Canada and inspiring other juniors.

Before I forget, it was nice to see you do the traditional Can DC dance in Montreal.

Thanks! I'm not a very good dancer haha. Last week someone saw the video and told me "you dance well for a white guy." :???:

I was very relieved after Wimbledon, mainly because I had lost the 1st two slam finals I was in, and I had finally reached my goal of winning a slam. That definitely took the pressure off of me when I played US open, although I did need to win that as well to guarantee myself the year end #1 ranking.

I think the main improvement Tennis Canada has made was to create a training center where there is a structured program, training and competition wise, and where all the best players in the country are playing together, rather than being spread out around the country. Obviously the funding we get makes a huge difference and gives us many opportunities we wouldn't have otherwise.

gahaha
10-10-2012, 03:06 PM
How often do you restring, what kind of strings do you play with?

Bjorn99
10-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Hey there. I have coached someone who was number five in the world, and have trained quite a few pro athletes and I find your game very interesting Filip. Very interesting indeed. Do you mind if I make some suggestions to you?

Beyond that, I will say that you bring some things to the table that I haven't seen in a long time. Incredible energy, bounce in your legs, intensity, hand to eye coordination etc... Much better than most ATP pros in fact. Which I am sure you are aware of.

Obviously you have a lot of people overseeing your game, and normally outside suggestions are taken with a grain of salt, but I have been credited with seeing some things that most coaches in the world for some reason overlook.

But first I need to know if you are open to it. Your game as you well know is very, very unique.

If you like some of my information, the best of it would be email only.

TopFH
10-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Great to have you with us, Filip! Hopefully, you can keep updating us about our progress, although be sure that we will keep a very close eye on you. I wish you the best.

PS: Don't play Federer in the near future, though. :)

TheCanadian
10-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I would say I'm away about 60% of the year. My parents never really accompany me on the trips, as its quite expensive.

I actually don't take care of the travel arrangements, as Tennis Canada does that for me. They pay for pretty much everything, including flights, hotels, training. Without them I would not be able to travel like I have been for the past few years.

My parents are far from wealthy, in fact they went into debt trying to support my tennis before Tennis Canada provided me with funding. All in all I am extremely fortunate to be able to play on the tour, and would not be able to if not for Tennis Canada's support, so I'd like to thank them.

This is astonishing since I read that you were a member of some very fancy and expensive club in Vancouver. Could you tell us where you played as a junior? What club was your base?

TheCanadian
10-10-2012, 04:54 PM

I find this fascinating. Rafael Nadal was already playing 4 - 5 hours a day when he was a ten-year-old. I'm very impressed by your success considering that you didn't play all that much. How did you solve the problem of a lack of hitting partners? What type of drills did you do back then with your dad? What was his knowledge of the game of tennis? Was he a good player himself? It's interesting how many parents had a determinative impact on their children's development as tennis players. What do you make of that? Malcolm Gladwell in his bestseller Outliers cites scientific studies that purport to show that practice time is the biggest predictor of acquiring expertise in any field. Typically, 10 000 hours of practice time is required to be an expert in a field such as music or sports. In sum, it's not the nebulous quality called "talent" that makes one a champion but how much time one spends working/practicing. What's your take on this?

15_ounce
10-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi Filip,

Have you ever had a really bad injury? What did you do for recovery?

Do you have some massages after a gruelling training?

I'm allergic to any artificial sweeteners which are found in sports drink, do you have any other recommendation? I replace it with pure fresh young coconut drink. When I train, I also bring plenty of medjool dates with me and water as well.

When I have any pain in my body I never take anti inflammatory pills, instead I drink Tian Qi ginseng, and eat plenty of healthy fresh food for recovery. I eat a lot of papaya, pineapple and other fresh fruit.

I don't like taking food supplement such as protein, whey powder., etc. I want to eat as natural as I can. I like fish and seafood a lot. What about you?

hrstrat57
10-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Great thread, great idea.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 05:40 PM
This is astonishing since I read that you were a member of some very fancy and expensive club in Vancouver. Could you tell us where you played as a junior? What club was your base?
I was a member at the North Shore Winter Club, which at the time wasn't nearly as expensive as it is now. Definitely not more than paying for court time.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 05:42 PM
How often do you restring, what kind of strings do you play with?
I play with Luxilon Original. During tournaments I use a new string for every match, usually for every ball change. I generally play until it breaks in practice, or until it's too loose, which is every few days.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Here's a funny question. Do you regret dancing to Gangnam Style in Montreal? Do you find that harder to do than playing tennis in front of thousands of people?

For those who have not seen the video, do a quick YouTube search.
I definitely don't regret doing it, I just wish I had some time to practice it before having to go on court, haha.

NadalDramaQueen
10-10-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't have any questions but I would like to say congratulations on making all four finals in one year. I find it really impressive that you were able to win your final two after your first two losses.

I wish you the best and I hope you make it to the top.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Greetings from another Vancouverite!

I was having this discussion with a coworker a month or so ago.

We were wondering how your level as a top junior compares to some of the top long-time non-pros in town here, like Henry Choi and David Chu.

Have you played those guys before?
I have played both of them before, once each. I beat Daniel Chu in the summer of 2011 6-1 6-4, and Henry last winter, 7-5 6-2.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 05:50 PM
I have played both of them before, once each. I beat Daniel Chu in the summer of 2011 6-1 6-4, and Henry last winter, 7-5 6-2.
Oh sorry didn't realize you said David Chu. Never played him before.

dominikk1985
10-10-2012, 05:52 PM
great to have you here.

Maybe if you have some boring time you could come over to the tips/instruction subforum. there are some pretty heated discussions and the opinion of a pro would be very interesting.

what do you think are your greatest assets in your game?

CCNM
10-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Welcome Filip. I wish you good luck in your career. Hope you are able to become a big name in Canada and the world.

Firstking
10-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Great job on the TC podcast! :)

And thanks for doing this Filip!

thejackal
10-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Great job on the TC podcast! :)

And thanks for doing this Filip!

Thanks! Wished I had a better mic because I didnt sound too great. A late night out the day before didnt help the vocal chords either.... :p

FEDERERNADAL13
10-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi filip! I'm a 17 year old Canadian guy and a big fan of yours! Congrats on your career so far! I just have a few questions for you, if you don't mind:

1. Out of everyone in pro tennis, who would you most like to beat?

2. What's your favourite grand slam?

3. How often do you spend time at the rexall centre in Toronto?

4. What's your favourite shot?

5. Kind of a proposition, not a question, but: If your ever in southwestern Ontario, would you consider meeting/hitting with some of your fans? :)

Thanks for your time man! :)

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Honestly, if I had to choose one person to beat, it would be either Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic, although I'm not quite sure who of those 3 I should choose :S

They are all amazing in their own different ways, but Wimbledon is special to me, as I won my first slam there.

I am almost never in Toronto, and when I am it's not to train at Rexall, as most of what I need is already in Montreal.

I like to use my forehand to dictate, although I'm quite comfortable hitting any shot from either side, in any position.

As far as that goes, I would consider it if I was in the area, and if I had any extra time on my hands.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi filip! I'm a 17 year old Canadian guy and a big fan of yours! Congrats on your career so far! I just have a few questions for you, if you don't mind:

1. Out of everyone in pro tennis, who would you most like to beat?

2. What's your favourite grand slam?

3. How often do you spend time at the rexall centre in Toronto?

4. What's your favourite shot?

5. Kind of a proposition, not a question, but: If your ever in southwestern Ontario, would you consider meeting/hitting with some of your fans? :)

Thanks for your time man! :)
Forgot to quote you the first time... Oops

Honestly, if I had to choose one person to beat, it would be either Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic, although I'm not quite sure who of those 3 I should choose :S

They are all amazing in their own different ways, but Wimbledon is special to me, as I won my first slam there.

I am almost never in Toronto, and when I am it's not to train at Rexall, as most of what I need is already in Montreal.

I like to use my forehand to dictate, although I'm quite comfortable hitting any shot from either side, in any position.

As far as that goes, I would consider it if I was in the area, and if I had any extra time on my hands

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 06:48 PM
great to have you here.

Maybe if you have some boring time you could come over to the tips/instruction subforum. there are some pretty heated discussions and the opinion of a pro would be very interesting.

what do you think are your greatest assets in your game?
I think that my game off the ground, movement/speed, mental/intensity and returns are probably my biggest strengths, although I feel like I can dictate with any shot.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 06:55 PM
I find this fascinating. Rafael Nadal was already playing 4 - 5 hours a day when he was a ten-year-old. I'm very impressed by your success considering that you didn't play all that much. How did you solve the problem of a lack of hitting partners? What type of drills did you do back then with your dad? What was his knowledge of the game of tennis? Was he a good player himself? It's interesting how many parents had a determinative impact on their children's development as tennis players. What do yo make of that? Malcolm Gladwell in his bestseller Outliers cites scientific studies that purport to show that practice time is the biggest predictor of acquiring expertise in any field. Typically, 10 000 hours of practice time is required to be an expert in a field such as music or sports. In sum, it's not the nebulous quality called "talent" that makes one a champion but how much time one spends working/practicing. What's your take on this?
I didn't really solve that problem until I moved to Montreal to work with Tennis Canada, so until then I was behind a bit, mostly on the matchplay aspect (I didn't have the chance to play as many tournaments as most other top-level juniors because of the expenses).

With my dad, I would do the general feeding drills that everyone does, such as 2 crosscourt 1 down the line.

I believe that hard work is the most important factor in becoming a top pro, but with that being said, talent is also necessary. In my opinion, there has to be some talent to begin with in order to achieve that level.

JamieSafe
10-10-2012, 06:56 PM
What was it like growing up? Did you spend most of your time in the same training center as Raonic?

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the forum! I hope our insanity doesn't scare you off.

I was wondering, who is the highest ranked player you've hit with/played against and what did you think of them?

Good luck with your future!
I think that the highest ranking player I've hit with is Milos Raonic. I think he is an amazing player, and a great ambassador of Canadian tennis.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 07:00 PM
I used to train in North Vancouver, so I never got a chance to train with Dimitri. I like the pic :)

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Welcome on board! Very nice that you do this!
Very cool to have the next tennis hope from the same city and also of the Slavic origin! I'll be cheering for you.

I hope you don't mind that I posted this nice pic of you.

http://northerngrip.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Peliwo2.jpg

Question: Have you trained with Dimitri at Global, or in the North Van?
Forgot to quote it again...haha

As I said, I trained in North Van, so I never got a chance to work with Dimitri

FEDERERNADAL13
10-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Forgot to quote you the first time... Oops

As far as that goes, I would consider it if I was in the area, and if I had any extra time on my hands

Thanks for the answers filip :)

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Fillip
Welcome to the boards.

I loved your Gangnam dance, it was posted on Sports Illustrated couple of days back

http://tennis.si.com/2012/10/08/gangnam-style-tennis-novak-djokovic-laura-robson/

I have been following you since the begining of this year. I noticed you beat some very good players even at the Pro Level in the Canadian Challengers.

Also i noticed you were part of the practice team for the Davis Cup.

I hope you will reach the upper echelons in the next few years.

One favor : Tell something awesome about Federer.

Thanks..
Thanks! When I met Federer at the Champions' Dinner at Wimbledon, he spoke to me as if he knew me for years. He is such a great person, really takes time to talk to everybody. I definitely gained a lot of respect for him after that encounter. He is truly a class act.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Hey Filip,

Greetings from a fellow Vancouverite. Congrats on your success this year!

Where do you train, when you're not travelling?
Thank you! When I'm back in Canada, I train at the National Training Center in Montreal.

Charlzz
10-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Who do you think is better at Gangnam dancing--you or Novak Djokovic?

But seriously, what are you working on to get you to the top 100?

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Hi Filip,

It is so generous of you to post on this forum! I became a big fan of you after i saw you win the Wimbledon JR title, live on RDS! I was instantly won over by your intense attitude and body language (and of course your game).

I am very excited about the future of Canadian tennis, people here have been waiting for a Canadian breakthrough forever and having you and Eugenie as the 2 JR #1s is very exciting to say the least! Let's hope the successes can keep coming in the big leagues!

Questions:
1- Have you tried hitting on Eugenie (yes, on, not with) at the club and do you think I have a shot with her?
Just kidding of course. On a more serious note:
2- I am obviously curious about your gear. As a sponsored player, I am not sure you're allowed to divulge such info, but are you playing with a retail Blade? If so, any lead/modifications?
3- You are not a big guy physically but i was amazed at the amount of power you could generate. The modern game is so geared towards power, do your trainers put a lot of emphasis on training in the gym or is that not really a priority for now?

BTW, I am from Magog, QC and some of the other pros working for my organization (Tennestrie/Tennis Sherbrooke) told me you were suppose to make an appearance at the Hermitage Club this summer. I haven't seen them since; did either Jordan or Alex get a chance to hit with you?

Thanks again and keep up the good work!
I do not use any lead or modifications on my racket. I use a stock blx blade 98 SL3 mold, although I will be trying some lead tape modifying soon.

Yes, physical training is almost as important a part of my training (if not as important) as tennis. These days you need to be extremely fit and powerful (not necessarily big, just strong) to compete with the top guys on the pro tour. It's a much more physical game than it has been in the past.

KoolTennisKid
10-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Hey, a hundred congratulations man!!!! i love your playing style, very aggresive and just full of that "spark" that we all need. just a quick questions, now that your a pro will you be planning to change any small part part of your game, equipment wise or like the way you play? And what is your current string set up and what tension?

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Filip, hope you don't mind a technical question. The Tips section in this forum is dominated by advice by club players who have never played high-level tennis so this is a rare opportunity.

What tips can you give about hitting a topspin forehand with the right balance of spin and pace (depending on the situation), and the control over the direction (down the line or cross court), even though the swing motion is approximately the same? In other words, what is the difference you consciously make to achieve a particular speed/spin mix and direction compared to another combination?
Technical questions are tough to answer without physically demonstrating it, but I will do my best.

Basically you need to get under the ball with your racket and legs, transferring your weight up and through the ball, in order to keep the pace and depth.

As for changing direction, you need to be turned sideways as preparation, (this applies to every stroke) and use your weight transfer and hand/racket manipulation to direct the ball. Pretty much all you have to do is guide your racket and weight through the ball in that direction.

Again, these are difficult to answer, as it is a lot easier to learn if you actually see somebody demonstrate it in person.

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Hey, a hundred congratulations man!!!! i love your playing style, very aggresive and just full of that "spark" that we all need. just a quick questions, now that your a pro will you be planning to change any small part part of your game, equipment wise or like the way you play? And what is your current string set up and what tension?
Well I don't think I will need to change anything, I just need to keep improving every aspect of my game in order to develop into a well-rounded player.

Equipment wise I might try to add a bit of weight to my rackets with lead tape.

I use Luxilon Original strung at around 54 lbs, depending on the stringing machine.

thejackal
10-10-2012, 07:33 PM
g

That would be interesting...in many ways. Trainwreck waiting to happen probably.

On another note Filip's already up to 30 posts in less than a day. Maybe he's looking to get to #1 on TalkTennis post ranking first? Haha

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Who do you think is better at Gangnam dancing--you or Novak Djokovic?

But seriously, what are you working on to get you to the top 100?
I think that Novak does it better :P

I'm just going to keep working hard on and off the court, on every aspect of my game, and take it step by step. Nothing super specific really.

JustBob
10-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Tell Vacek and Fred not to be so darn loud when they practice, it's very distracting when you're trying to play a match on the adjacent court. ;)

fpeliwo
10-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks for coming on this forum.
One thing WE could help YOU with.... We can put you up for a few nights near some of the events you're going to, so you can save time and money looking for a place to hang and shower. And if we provide you transportation to or from the event site, it would make it almost worth your while to answer some of our dumb question.
You only need to post your proposed schedule a few weeks in advance, and I"m sure you can find a place to say, some food, a shower, and maybe a ride.
That part alone usually takes up hours of your time, and distracts you from focusing on your match.
That will definitely be something I will keep in mind. I'll try to keep this up to date with my tournament schedule.

sundaypunch
10-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Congratulations for all that you have achieved. You will have a lot of people here rooting for you now.

nissrro
10-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Hi Filip!

what is your schedule like for the rest of the year? which tourneys are you going to try play

Thanks!

thejackal
10-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi Filip!

what is your schedule like for the rest of the year? which tourneys are you going to try play

Thanks!

Filip's next tournament: http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/men's-tournament/info.aspx?tournamentid=1100027590

Then 2 more ITF Futures in Mexico the following weeks

dmcb101
10-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Most of the drills I do are focused on movement, speed, and consistency. We try to vary them when we can, but if I had to choose one, I would say its when my coach is at the net volleying, moving me all around the court, into the net and back to the baseline, side to side. I have to make 6 or 7 sets of 40 shots in a row generally, although that is open to change depending on what I need to work on.

Appreciate your response. Saw a couple matches of yours on YT and I am a big fan of your playing style. Thanks!

beast of mallorca
10-10-2012, 08:32 PM

Well, as a tennis fan, hope and pray for your success in the tour. Hope you get up the rankings soon ! Maybe you're the glue that will unite the Rafa and Fed fans here in TW :)

Tammo
10-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I have been tracking the junior slams and happy to see you do well.

Would you mention TTW to other players/juniors? :)

Best of luck in the future.

EDIT: who is your friend (if they have an account?)

Avles
10-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi Filip,

Thanks for doing this-- really classy and a nice opportunity for everyone here.

My question: when (and how) did you realize that pro tennis was going to be your career?

jokinla
10-10-2012, 08:41 PM
When will you overtake Donald Young in the rankings?

Are you excited to play DY, an easy win wouldn't hurt?

sonicare
10-10-2012, 08:47 PM
If you played federer/nadal/djokovic right now in a proper match, how many games would you win in 1 set?

do players generally get along in the locker rooms? or is there tension/cliques behind the scenes?

Cheetah
10-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi Filip,

Thanks for joining the board. We'll all be rooting for you now.
Stop by the tips and instruction forum someday if you have time.
Good luck on your climb up the rankings.

thejackal
10-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi Filip,

Thanks for joining the board. We'll all be rooting for you now.
Stop by the tips and instruction forum someday if you have time.
Good luck on your climb up the rankings.

hey cheetah, my folks live in san diego and I usually spend the winter months there. what level do you play? might be able to get a hit in this december

TheCanadian
10-10-2012, 09:23 PM
I didn't really solve that problem until I moved to Montreal to work with Tennis Canada, so until then I was behind a bit, mostly on the matchplay aspect (I didn't have the chance to play as many tournaments as most other top-level juniors because of the expenses).

With my dad, I would do the general feeding drills that everyone does, such as 2 crosscourt 1 down the line.

I believe that hard work is the most important factor in becoming a top pro, but with that being said, talent is also necessary. In my opinion, there has to be some talent to begin with in order to achieve that level.

So before moving to Montreal how many hours did you spend on court with your dad? Do you remember? I have a son and I'm curious to know how much time I should be spending with him on a court. I assume that your results must have been very impressive in the juniors nonetheless if Tennis Canada invited you to train in Montreal. What was your ranking as a 12-year-old, for example? How good do you need to be for Tennis Canada to invite you to its training centre?

Cheetah
10-10-2012, 09:30 PM
hey cheetah, my folks live in san diego and I usually spend the winter months there. what level do you play? might be able to get a hit in this december

5.0. Let me know. I'm always looking for new people to play. I can play any day any time.

TennisNinja
10-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Damn I remember seeing you come down to Washington for a few tournaments a couple years back and just wrecking all the top guys.

leroy_sunset
10-10-2012, 10:43 PM
I saw your Wimbledon match this year. You're one hell of a player. I think you can go really far if you apply yourself.

If you're still answering questions: did you see the Rosol/Rafa match this year? Thoughts? Do you dream one day of an upset like that?

I've always said "any top 200 player, on his best day, can beat any top 10 player." Here's hoping you get your shot!

Lovely_Bone
10-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Okay Filip, after reading your replies, this is what I really am wondering. What is it like trying to return Raonic's serve!? I literally can't imagine it. I've never seen Milos in person, but I was aball kid, and spent a lot of time talking to, and being around John Isner, but unfortunately I never hit with him or anything.
That being said, I did see his serve coming towards me, and it was horrifying! I can't picture what it would be like standing even closer up than I was and actually trying to make contact with a serve like that lol.
Isner is about as close to Raonic in service power that I can think of aside from maybe Karlovic.
So again, with all of that in mind, what is it like returning something like that? Does it almost knock the racquet out of your hands? I would LOVE to get a couple shots at returning a Raonic or Isner serve someday.

Thanks, Kieran

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 05:41 AM
If you played federer/nadal/djokovic right now in a proper match, how many games would you win in 1 set?

do players generally get along in the locker rooms? or is there tension/cliques behind the scenes?
I honestly have no idea how many games I would win, I guess it depends on what kind of day I'm having.

I haven't seen much as we don't usually share lockers with the pros, but for the most part they seem to get along.

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 05:47 AM
So before moving to Montreal how many hours did you spend on court with your dad? Do you remember? I have a son and I'm curious to know how much time I should be spending with him on a court. I assume that your results must have been very impressive in the juniors nonetheless if Tennis Canada invited you to train in Montreal. What was your ranking as a 12-year-old, for example? How good do you need to be for Tennis Canada to invite you to its training centre?
I would get in about 3 hours if I was lucky. I think that around that age 3-4 hours is the right amount.

In u12 Nationals I made finals, and won u14 Nationals, so I was always on their radar. After I made semis of the u14 Orange Bowl they ended up inviting me.

I don't know exactly what their criteria is for inviting someone. Generally if they are interested, they bring you in to train at the center to test you out, and if they like what they see, they will invite you.

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 05:50 AM
Okay Filip, after reading your replies, this is what I really am wondering. What is it like trying to return Raonic's serve!? I literally can't imagine it. I've never seen Milos in person, but I was aball kid, and spent a lot of time talking to, and being around John Isner, but unfortunately I never hit with him or anything.
That being said, I did see his serve coming towards me, and it was horrifying! I can't picture what it would be like standing even closer up than I was and actually trying to make contact with a serve like that lol.
Isner is about as close to Raonic in service power that I can think of aside from maybe Karlovic.
So again, with all of that in mind, what is it like returning something like that? Does it almost knock the racquet out of your hands? I would LOVE to get a couple shots at returning a Raonic or Isner serve someday.

Thanks, Kieran
It was definitely a lot bigger than any other serve I've returned, although I managed to get it back more often than I thought I'd be able to. It's a really heavy serve, but when I got my racket on it I was doing a decent job of keeping it from flying way out.

Rock Strongo
10-11-2012, 06:14 AM
What eating habits do professional tennis players have? Do you focus on eating healthy or indulge in all that's good thinking you'll train it off? Also, is there anything you avoid eating (or drinking) entirely?

thejackal
10-11-2012, 06:35 AM

Thanks, Kieran

In case you haven't seen the video, I was watching milos practicing with seppi, first row on the grandstand at the Open this year. Almost got hit in the face with a first serve. This'll give you a pretty good idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsd-yL1Zx58

citybert
10-11-2012, 06:44 AM
What are your thoughts on the mental game on the tour. You always hear a lot of pros saying that the game is mostly mental and that all the players in the top 100 are pretty equal skill and athletic wise.

And how are you preparing and conditioning your mental game for the upcoming tour.

Good Luck and all the best! Hope to see you in the top 10!

wy2sl0
10-11-2012, 07:00 AM
No questions, just want to say as a Canadian we are very proud of you, Milos and the other Canadian guys. Best of luck in the rankings, and congrats on the two GS wins.

TheCanadian
10-11-2012, 07:27 AM
I would get in about 3 hours if I was lucky. I think that around that age 3-4 hours is the right amount.

In u12 Nationals I made finals, and won u14 Nationals, so I was always on their radar. After I made semis of the u14 Orange Bowl they ended up inviting me.

I don't know exactly what their criteria is for inviting someone. Generally if they are interested, they bring you in to train at the center to test you out, and if they like what they see, they will invite you.

So before moving to Montreal as a 14-year-old you only spent 3-4 hours a WEEK on court playing tennis? That's quite unbelievable. Did you play any other sports? Did you even at that stage have a fitness regimen?

There's a scientific study on elite athletes that finds their brains are wired or structured differently from others that allows them to perform better during clutch-times or when the pressure is high. That paper speculates that that's one of the key differences between elite athletes (the outliers) and those who remain members of the pack, the journeymen. What is your mental attitude when it's 5 - 5 in a fifth set tie-break? What do you tell yourself? What do you try to accomplish? How do you play the big point? I note that Djokovic tends to go for broke on big points. When he succeeds he's lauded as a mental giant, when he double-faults (as I've seen him do on match point), he gets called a choker. In my view, Djokovic is an example of a player who just plays big on crucial points, that's just his personality, that's just his style. What are your thoughts? How do you play somebody like that who you know will go big on crucial points? Let's say you have a match point against Djokovic and you think he's going to start slapping balls left and right, what do you do?

Lastly, what did you think of the Rosol-Nadal match? People (okay me) were expecting a journeyman like Rosol to come down to earth and fold like a cheap tent in the fifth set and realize that he's playing a tennis god. In other words, to choke once he realized the magnitude of the occasion. Instead, he showed Nadal that he wasn't intimidated by him and didn't hesitate to pull the metaphorical trigger. I was deeply impressed. What did you make of that performance? Were you stunned like the rest of us? Why isn't a guy like Rosol in the top 20? He obviously has the shots and the swagger/attitude.

NLBwell
10-11-2012, 07:56 AM
FP, good to have you here on the boards. I've seen some of you matches on youtube. You have a really nice game and I hope you can continue to improve and get to the top.
Very nice of you to answer all these questions.

Mister drool
10-11-2012, 08:11 AM
I have a question

But first, i also welcome you to the forum (i'm new at this too), and may you wisdom be more of a light to us all.

my question is:
Do YOU get all the girls?

(what guys, it had to be asked... it is important!!!)

gatorbait01
10-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Filip,

Thanks for this thread. It's awesome to hear your replies. Good luck in the future, I'll be rooting for you.

Beacon Hill
10-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Hello Filip,
If you are on the West Coast next week and interested in playing, we can offer you a wild card into our $15,000 tournament in Victoria:
Close to home
Futures/Challenger level competition
Two pool round robin guarantees you three quality matches
You could take home $8000
You'd know some of the players
You'd be the crowd favourite
More on our website: www.islandtennis.net
Thanks,
South Island Indoor Challenge

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 09:29 AM
So before moving to Montreal as a 14-year-old you only spent 3-4 hours a WEEk on court playing tennis? That's quite unbelievable. Did you play any other sports? Did you even at that stage have a fitness regimen?

There's a scientific study on elite athletes that finds their brains are wired or structured differently from others that allows them to perform better during clutch-times or when the pressure is high. That paper speculates that that's one of the key differences between elite athletes (the outliers) and those who remain members of the pack, the journeymen. What is your mental attitude when it's 5 - 5 in a fifth set tie-break? What do you tell yourself? What do you try to accomplish? How do you play the big point? I note that Djokovic tends to go for broke on big points. When he succeeds he's lauded as a mental giant, when he double-faults (as I've seen him do on match point), he gets called a choker. In my view, Djokovic is an example of a player who just plays big on crucial points, that's just his personality, that's just his style. What are your thoughts? How do you play somebody like that who you know will go big on crucial points? Let's say you have a match point against Djokovic and you think he's going to start slapping balls left and right, what do you do?

Lastly, what did you think of the Rosol-Nadal match? People (okay me) were expecting a journeyman like Rosol to come down to earth and fold like a cheap tent in the fifth set and realize that he's playing a tennis god. In other words, to choke once he realized the magnitude of the occasion. Instead, he showed Nadal that he wasn't intimidated by him and didn't hesitate to pull the metaphorical trigger. I was deeply impressed. What did you make of that performance? Were you stunned like the rest of us? Why isn't a guy like Rosol in the top 20? He obviously has the shots and the swagger/attitude.
No I meant I played 3 hours a day, if I was lucky, although usually it was closer to around 2-2.5 hours. I played soccer from a young age, until I was about 14 years old, at a pretty high level actually. I did do some fitness in a training group at my club, and I was quite active outside the gym and tennis courts.

Usually on a big point, I try to take control of the point as soon as possible. Basically I try to to play as aggressive as possible, but in a way that I am comfortable that I will keep the ball in the court. Generally speaking, the best way to play those points is to control them, rather than letting your opponent dictate. That way you win or lose because of how you executed. Most of the top guys won't let you off the hook if you just play tight and too safe, so it's better to not give them any opportunity to use their weapons to hurt you. This obviously does not apply to every situation, as sometimes it might be better to just rally and wait for a mistake. You really have to assess the situation and adjust to whatever gets thrown at you.

As far as Rosol is concerned, I think that you have to look at his average level, mentally as well as with his game. I've seen him play matches where he couldn't hit more than 3 shots in the court. Basically, in my opinion, he played the best match of his life, where he saw and hit everything perfectly and clean in the center of his strings. He was going for broke on almost every shot, as he had literally nothing to lose in that match, and everything to win. I really doubt he will play another match like that again. He has weapons, obviously, but when it comes to playing like that day in, day out, he won't be able to do it. When he begins to have expectations (This goes for anyone in that situation) he will end up playing tighter, and not play as loose. He'll start to think more about what he has to lose, as you saw in the next match after he beat Rafa. He had beaten Nadal, so now he thought he should be doing even better against the other players. That really brought out the nerves, and brought his level back to his average game. He just isn't able to bring out that kind of level consistently, which is the reason he isn't ranked higher. As far as I know, that is the only time he has ever played that well...

Once again, as I said, it's all about how you can play on a daily basis, because everyone has those days where everything goes perfectly. It's a matter of how well someone can play consistently, because about 90% of matches are played at the person's average level, so that is what you should judge a player's ability by.

Of course, I'm not saying Rosol will never be in the top 20, I'm just stating why he is where he is now. He played at his absolute best, to beat Rafa, who probably was not playing his best, in five sets. Had he played at his highest level against Rosol, I think that he would have beaten him handily. This is not taking into account the amount of pressure he had. If Rosol was a top 20 player, there would be less pressure, and he would be able to play a bit more loose. I am not making excuses for him, just stating my personal opinion and experience.

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Hello Filip,
If you are on the West Coast next week and interested in playing, we can offer you a wild card into our $15,000 tournament in Victoria:
Close to home
Futures/Challenger level competition
Two pool round robin guarantees you three quality matches
You could take home $8000
You'd know some of the players
You'd be the crowd favourite
More on our website: www.islandtennis.net
Thanks,
South Island Indoor Challenge
Unfortunately I won't be back in BC for a while... Possibly next year though!

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I have a question

But first, i also welcome you to the forum (i'm new at this too), and may you wisdom be more of a light to us all.

my question is:
Do YOU get all the girls?

(what guys, it had to be asked... it is important!!!)
Been getting more attention since Wimbledon, but tennis always comes first. :P

beast of mallorca
10-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Been getting more attention since Wimbledon, but tennis always comes first. :P

Who introduced you to the game ? What's your favourite surface to play on ?

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Who introduced you to the game ? What's your favourite surface to play on ?
My father used to play with some friends for fun. I would watch, or hit against the wall for hours. I've always loved it, so I just asked my dad if I could try playing when I was about 4.5 or 5 years old.

Tammo
10-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Do you prefer Nadal or Federer? Are Nadal and Soderling on silent bans? And do you think you will get a WC into Montreal?

NDFM
10-11-2012, 10:15 AM
My father used to play with some friends for fun. I would watch, or hit against the wall for hours. I've always loved it, so I just asked my dad if I could try playing when I was about 4.5 or 5 years old.

Well done for all your success in the Junior Grand Slams and ending the year as no.1. What's your favourite surface to play on?

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Well done for all your success in the Junior Grand Slams and ending the year as no.1. What's your favourite surface to play on?
I would say hardcourts, but I did enjoy the Wimbledon grass quite a bit.

JustBob
10-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Perhaps Filip could comment on this, but Uniprix Stadium is an interesting place to train for pros/juniors because aside from being the home of Tennis Canada and the National Training Center, the courts there are public. I made a joke about Vasek (Pospisil) and Fred (Niemeyer) being too loud when they practiced, but it's not uncommon to be playing right next to these guys/girls when they are practicing.

I'm not sure how players feel about it, but I believe the atmosphere is pretty relaxed and people are pretty respectful around players (read, they don't get mobbed by fans). They seem pretty approachable as well if you don't overdo it and respect the fact that they are there to work and have a schedule to follow. I've struck up random conversations with a number of coaches/players there including Alex Wozniack and her dad, who's a pretty funny guy (he started talking to me and I didn't know who he was!).

I congratulated Filip on his Wimbledon win (he came on court with his partner and coach as I was finishing), but since that was probably the 1,236,805 time someone said "well done!" to him, he probably doesn't remember. ;)

TheCanadian
10-11-2012, 11:16 AM
No I meant I played 3 hours a day, if I was lucky, although usually it was closer to around 2-2.5 hours. I played soccer from a young age, until I was about 14 years old, at a pretty high level actually. I did do some fitness in a training group at my club, and I was quite active outside the gym and tennis courts.

Usually on a big point, I try to take control of the point as soon as possible. Basically I try to to play as aggressive as possible, but in a way that I am comfortable that I will keep the ball in the court. Generally speaking, the best way to play those points is to control them, rather than letting your opponent dictate. That way you win or lose because of how you executed. Most of the top guys won't let you off the hook if you just play tight and too safe, so it's better to not give them any opportunity to use their weapons to hurt you. This obviously does not apply to every situation, as sometimes it might be better to just rally and wait for a mistake. You really have to assess the situation and adjust to whatever gets thrown at you.

As far as Rosol is concerned, I think that you have to look at his average level, mentally as well as with his game. I've seen him play matches where he couldn't hit more than 3 shots in the court. Basically, in my opinion, he played the best match of his life, where he saw and hit everything perfectly and clean in the center of his strings. He was going for broke on almost every shot, as he had literally nothing to lose in that match, and everything to win. I really doubt he will play another match like that again. He has weapons, obviously, but when it comes to playing like that day in, day out, he won't be able to do it. When he begins to have expectations (This goes for anyone in that situation) he will end up playing tighter, and not play as loose. He'll start to think more about what he has to lose, as you saw in the next match after he beat Rafa. He had beaten Nadal, so now he thought he should be doing even better against the other players. That really brought out the nerves, and brought his level back to his average game. He just isn't able to bring out that kind of level consistently, which is the reason he isn't ranked higher. As far as I know, that is the only time he has ever played that well...

Once again, as I said, it's all about how you can play on a daily basis, because everyone has those days where everything goes perfectly. It's a matter of how well someone can play consistently, because about 90% of matches are played at the person's average level, so that is what you should judge a player's ability by.

Of course, I'm not saying Rosol will never be in the top 20, I'm just stating why he is where he is now. He played at his absolute best, to beat Rafa, who probably was not playing his best, in five sets. Had he played at his highest level against Rosol, I think that he would have beaten him handily. This is not taking into account the amount of pressure he had. If Rosol was a top 20 player, there would be less pressure, and he would be able to play a bit more loose. I am not making excuses for him, just stating my personal opinion and experience.

Okay, three-hours per day makes more sense. For a 10-year-old, Gabe Jaramillo recommends 10 hours per week of drills and 10 hours per week of match play and 5 hours per week of conditioning. I take it that that seems right to you, although you didn't get as much tennis at that age and still became number 1 junior in the world.

http://www.gabejaramillo.com/manual2.html

Can you recommend some tennis books? How important was proper technique to you and did your dad basically develop the technique you have today?

AmbiDexter
10-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Great to see you here Filip
Tak trzymaj! pozdrowienia z Polski

above bored
10-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Hello Filip

What racket do you use, do you have them customised and what is your opinion on companies marketing new rackets with the paint job rackets that pros use?

cluckcluck
10-11-2012, 12:02 PM
How do you perceive American tennis? Specifically how the USTA runs their "player development" program compared to your country?

MurrayMyInspiration
10-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Hello Filip

What racket do you use, do you have them customised and what is your opinion on companies marketing new rackets with the paint job rackets that pros use?

Please read back on the thread first before you ask questions as he has already answered the first part!

seattle_1hander
10-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Hey Filip...

Have you given any thought to the fact that you may be entering the ATP tour at perhaps the most perfect time imaginable? In all likelihood, you won't peak for another 5 to 7 years. And at that time, when you are the best player you could possibly be, Djokovic/Nadal/Murray/Federer will be long gone or close to being gone. With the current crop of players a few years older than you (Raonic, Dimitrov, Tomic) it looks as if it's going to be WIDE OPEN for anyone to make a decent run. There won't be a big 4 stranglehold like there is now.

So all in all good sir...you are looking at a GOLDEN opportunity. I wish you all the best.

sureshs
10-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Interesting that you play with the stock Wilson BLX Blade 98.

It is 11.3 oz strung with a strung SW of 335, per TW specs.

Should be an eye opener for the club players here who cannot play with anything less than 12 oz and 350+ SW and think that all pros are in that range or above.

Squidward
10-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Welcome Aboard Filip!

I watched some of your play on YT, Very Nice Indeed!

I'll be following your game to see how it goes, Good Luck!!!

tennisaddict
10-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks! When I met Federer at the Champions' Dinner at Wimbledon, he spoke to me as if he knew me for years. He is such a great person, really takes time to talk to everybody. I definitely gained a lot of respect for him after that encounter. He is truly a class act.

Thank you so much for answering. It is great to hear this from a professional player.

Are you generally able to shrug off a loss to a player whom you didnt expect to lose ?

Power Player
10-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Interesting that you play with the stock Wilson BLX Blade 98.

It is 11.3 oz strung with a strung SW of 335, per TW specs.

Should be an eye opener for the club players here who cannot play with anything less than 12 oz and 350+ SW and think that all pros are in that range or above.

True. The swing weight is pretty beefy though and he did mention he is messing with lead tape

The_Steak
10-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi Filip,

I wonder if you could give us some commentary on your fitness regime. Obviously tennis player need to train to be strong, not big. Does this mean you do a lot of sprinting? What are some of the common exercises and type of running routines that you do?

I know Murray for instance likes to run 10 400 meters in about a minute 30. How about you?

-Thanks

sureshs
10-11-2012, 01:58 PM
True. The swing weight is pretty beefy though and he did mention he is messing with lead tape

That is because it is just 2 points HL.

He mentioned that he has played against Raonic and Cilic.

There are people who claim that pro serves cannot be returned with a SW of less than 350. You can't do better than Raonic in terms of serve (unless you are Karlovic).

RogerRacket111
10-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Welcome !

How do you learn to win when your not feeling your best?

How do you adjust strategies mid-match ?

Beacon Hill
10-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Unfortunately I won't be back in BC for a while... Possibly next year though!
Thanks for the reply. Good luck in Mexico, and maybe see you next year.

Lovely_Bone
10-11-2012, 04:18 PM
I know this is a weird question, but man, I have a dream. Could you hook me up with Laura Robson?
We're the same age, so it's not weird or anything.

CCNM
10-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm still trying to navigate this great sport. I know that there is a lot of discussions around the Web about the styles of different players ("Nadal is a grinder", "Federer's got the most beautiful game ever", "Everyone on the WTA is a brainless ball basher", etc). Do you prefer hanging out at the baseline or do you prefer to come to the net? I like a game where the player is covering every inch of his side of the court (watch some of Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario's matches to see what I'm talking about).

dgoran
10-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Up until this point, I have been using a stock version of the Wilson Blade BLX 98. I have started to experiment a bit with lead tape, but I am just in the early stages of trying it out, not far enough to use it in tournaments yet. So, yes, I use a stock version of the racket, SL3 mold to be exact.
Thank you so much for taking time to reply. let me tell you that you got another fan :)
Btw Leather grip or stock grip? :)

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Welcome !

How do you learn to win when your not feeling your best?

How do you adjust strategies mid-match ?
There isn't really an explanation for it... I guess it just comes once you play a lot of matches, and get some experience in those situations. You just have to adjust to the circumstances and do whatever you can on that given day.

I adjust my strategies depending on how I'm playing and how my opponent is playing on that day. Really depends on quite a few different factors.

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Thank you so much for taking time to reply. let me tell you that you got another fan :)
Btw Leather grip or stock grip? :)
Regular stock grip with a white Wilson Overgrip.

swfh
10-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions :)

How do you go about playing an opponent that you have never played before? How do you find out his weaknesses, and then go about exposing them?
Thanks

Power Player
10-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Regular stock grip with a white Wilson Overgrip.

And you have played heavy hitters with stock weight which is very cool since it is a lighter stick. Its just all about how you hit and making that consistent contact out in front.

I need to watch more of your matches but do you prefer the tighter patterns or would you go more open when the new 16x19 blade comes out? Personally it has always been a tough decision for me.

Rjtennis
10-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Good luck and thanks for coming on the boards. Hopefully, I will be able to catch one of your matches in the next few years. I have a question? From your experience what is the key thing that separates the very good and the best players at your level. Is it weapons, fitness, mental strength or just a combination of things? Thanks.

Rubydo
10-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Stats from the USTA:

The average expenditure of a tour player: $143K per year

Breakeven point (where prize earnings = expenses): #119ATP, or #145 WTA

The average player is on tour for 7 years, and takes 3-4 years to break into the top 100 (if she/he lasts that long on tour)

Imagine a business operating at a loss for the first 3 years of its existence, and that's pretty close to the actual financial situation of a tour player.

It takes a lot of financial help from federations, sponsors and family members/friends to make it, not just talentThat is really very informative, I often wondered how expenses compared to prize money.

JacksDad
10-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Congratulations on your 2012 Junior Grand Slams wins!

At what age did you start overtaking your peers in terms of tennis development? What were the things that set you apart from your peers? work ethic? foot work? strategy? tactics? weapons? tennis IQ? mental strength?

How did you develop your tennis IQ and mental strength?

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm still trying to navigate this great sport. I know that there is a lot of discussions around the Web about the styles of different players ("Nadal is a grinder", "Federer's got the most beautiful game ever", "Everyone on the WTA is a brainless ball basher", etc). Do you prefer hanging out at the baseline or do you prefer to come to the net? I like a game where the player is covering every inch of his side of the court (watch some of Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario's matches to see what I'm talking about).
I like to win points from every part of the court. If I have an opportunity, I'll definitely come in to the net to put it away.

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions :)

How do you go about playing an opponent that you have never played before? How do you find out his weaknesses, and then go about exposing them?
Thanks
I just focus more on my game rather than his. Eventually I figure out what he does well and what he is uncomfortable with. Once that happens, I play my strengths to his weaknesses. Pretty simple actually.

Tammo
10-11-2012, 07:16 PM
How true is it that 99% of players have a much better FH than BH?

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Congratulations on your 2012 Junior Grand Slams wins!

At what age did you start overtaking your peers in terms of tennis development? What were the things that set you apart from your peers? work ethic? foot work? strategy? tactics? weapons? tennis IQ? mental strength?

How did you develop your tennis IQ and mental strength?
I would say I started to play as well as I have been this year at Orange Bowl of 2011. I think that was the time that I my game really clicked.

I guess you could say it involved a bit of everything. The work ethic definitely paid off, and the mental strength came with playing more matches. I was always very competitive, so that helped me improve at a quicker pace.

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 07:23 PM
And you have played heavy hitters with stock weight which is very cool since it is a lighter stick. Its just all about how you hit and making that consistent contact out in front.

I need to watch more of your matches but do you prefer the tighter patterns or would you go more open when the new 16x19 blade comes out? Personally it has always been a tough decision for me.
It really depends on what you are looking for. The tighter pattern gives a lot of control, and string durability, but feels a lot stiffer on contact than a more open pattern. If spin is what you're looking for, the open pattern is better (if you don't mind breaking strings more often)

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Good luck and thanks for coming on the boards. Hopefully, I will be able to catch one of your matches in the next few years. I have a question? From your experience what is the key thing that separates the very good and the best players at your level. Is it weapons, fitness, mental strength or just a combination of things? Thanks.
I would say it's a combination of everything. There isn't ONE thing that makes the difference, you should just try to develop everything into a strength, as all the top guys are well-rounded players in every aspect of the game.

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 07:27 PM
How true is it that 99% of players have a much better FH than BH?
Not as true as you may think. They might hit it bigger, but that does not necessarily make it better, though it is quite often the case that the FH is the better side.

Murray_fan1
10-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi Filip,

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this. As a fellow Canadian just wanted to let you know we are very proud of your accomplishments this year and look forward to see what the future brings.

I do have a couple questions for you.

1. Have you always played with a Wilson stick or was this the racquet you chose based on a sponsorship offer?

2. Any plans to go the Milos route and train on the clay in Spain?

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Hi Filip,

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this. As a fellow Canadian just wanted to let you know we are very proud of your accomplishments this year and look forward to see what the future brings.

I do have a couple questions for you.

1. Have you always played with a Wilson stick or was this the racquet you chose based on a sponsorship offer?

2. Any plans to go the Milos route and train on the clay in Spain?
I used Babolat from age 10-13 and switched to Wilson for two reasons. I thought I needed a change from the Pure Drive, and Babolat did not want to give me a sponsor, whereas Wilson gave me a full sponsor.

I'm not sure of that yet, it is a bit far away to be able to say for certain. There are many things I need to consider be I make that decision. I have been thinking about it though, and Spain is definitely an option for the future.

Murray_fan1
10-11-2012, 07:43 PM
I used Babolat from age 10-13 and switched to Wilson for two reasons. I thought I needed a change from the Pure Drive, and Babolat did not want to give me a sponsor, whereas Wilson gave me a full sponsor.

I'm not sure of that yet, it is a bit far away to be able to say for certain. There are many things I need to consider be I make that decision. I have been thinking about it though, and Spain is definitely an option for the future.

What was it about the Pure drive other than the obvious sponsorship issue that made you feel you needed a change? Too much power? Hard on the arm?

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 07:45 PM
What was it about the Pure drive other than the obvious sponsorship issue that made you feel you needed a change? Too much power? Hard on the arm?
Yeah the main reason was that I didn't like the racket anymore, as there was too much power. I had tried the Wilson KSixOne 95, and really liked it. The sponsorship came after I had tried it out, and definitely helped me decide on switching.

DeFrank
10-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Can You Ace The Rafa?

fpeliwo
10-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Can You Ace The Rafa?
Haha I'm sure I can, although it definitely wouldn't be easy, or a common occurence.

VeeSe
10-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Hey Filip,

As everyone mentioned, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions! It is honestly awesome to see this.

I have a couple questions for you:

1) How big of a factor do you think size is for success in tennis? You're listed at 5'11"; do you think this is a big difference from being a little over 6' tall?

2) Do you think everybody reaches a point (given that they work hard and have some talent) where their game just "clicks" as it did for you (you said that this happened in your teens)? What did that feel like for you? Were there opponents who you used to struggle with and suddenly were able to easily defeat?

TheCanadian
10-11-2012, 08:28 PM
How did you deal with cheating in the juniors and gamesmanship? How prevalent is it today in the juniors? Can you describe some instances? What did you make of Nadal's bizarre behaviour (bumping into Rosol) at Wimbledon? I'm amazed and disappointed that such childish little psychological games (Djokovic bouncing a ball 80 times, etc.) happen at the highest levels.

surfvland
10-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi guys,

http://i.imgur.com/xDXjf.jpg

This year, I made the finals of all 4 junior Grand Slam, winning at Wimbledon and the US Open to finish the year as the #1 ITF junior.

In the next year, I will mostly be playing on the Challenger and Futures circuits.

A friend talked me into joining the board, and it seems like a great place to talk tennis with other fans and players. I will try to post a few times a week. In the meantime, feel free to ask me anything about life on tour!

Filip Peliwo

Congrats Filip. I think you've just amassed 10,000 Plus new fans.

jeebeesus
10-11-2012, 09:52 PM
You are awesome. I watched several of your finals. You got yourself a new fan .

TennisLovaLova
10-12-2012, 05:29 AM
we have a very famous thread here about female tennis players
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=87961

your pick?

:D

VetoRight
10-12-2012, 06:45 AM
can you beat serena?

UKTennis
10-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Hi Filip, this is a great thread, thanks for answering all these questions. We would absolutely love it if it would be possible for myself to gather some of these questions and answers, and use them for an article about yourself in our magazine? We would send you a copy as well of course. Do message me if you need any more details. Many thanks again.

TheCanadian
10-12-2012, 06:53 AM

Wow, they sure have egg on their face today! I had a partial sponsorship with Kneissl in the juniors and I wasn't nearly as good. Any way, if I were you this experience would leave a bad taste in my mouth re Babolat.

thejackal
10-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Wow, they sure have egg on their face today! I had a partial sponsorship with Kneissl in the juniors and I wasn't nearly as good. Any way, if I were you this experience would leave a bad taste in my mouth re Babolat.

picking juniors to sponsor is like picking stocks as an investor. too many uncertainties, so you're bound to miss a few good players. that just comes with the territory.

krz
10-12-2012, 07:19 AM
we have a very famous thread here about female tennis players
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=87961

your pick?

:D

can you beat serena?

bump for good questions :P

pound cat
10-12-2012, 07:29 AM
I loved your dancing at Davis Cup ! LOL Great how the DC team welcomed you and Milos chose you as his hitting partner. I expect you will rise waaay up in the ATP rankings...you play really good tennis.

See you on the live streams that everyone on this board watches.

klementine
10-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Hey there Filip!

Nice of you to join. Just had two silly Q's for ya'.

Favorite pre/post match meal??......

How about music before a match?... Are you a rocker or a hip-hopper?

Pasta, Steak and Slayer usually do it for me. :smile:

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 08:56 AM
How did you deal with cheating in the juniors and gamesmanship? How prevalent is it today in the juniors? Can you describe some instances? What did you make of Nadal's bizarre behaviour (bumping into Rosol) at Wimbledon? I'm amazed and disappointed that such childish little psychological games (Djokovic bouncing a ball 80 times, etc.) happen at the highest levels.
It was always tough to deal with that stuff, but you learn to manage it. You just have to focus on yourself and try not to take it personally, although it's not always easy to do that.

Once you get to the highest level of juniors, it isn't very common, especially since we generally have chair umpires. It does happen quite a bit in lower level tournaments though.

As far as Nadal bumping Rosol, I think it was well deserved, as Rosol was being very cocky and in Nadal's face. I don't think Rafa handled it well, and took it too personally, but I don't think any worse of him for it.

Djokovic bouncing the ball 15/20/25 times, is annoying to the other players, but I think he was doing it more just to focus. It was his routine, and that's how he made sure he was ready for the point. I don't believe he was doing it to distract his opponents, but as with everything, I may be mistaken.

TheCanadian
10-12-2012, 09:17 AM
picking juniors to sponsor is like picking stocks as an investor. too many uncertainties, so you're bound to miss a few good players. that just comes with the territory.

It seems giving a top junior a few racquets isn't much of an investment and the benefits are immense.

sunny_cali
10-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Welcome to the madhouse :-)

In general there has been a slowing down of surfaces over the years, leading to the preponderance of a certain type of play -- mainly baseline heavy.

What are your views on this topic ? Has there been a deliberate attempt to slow down surfaces ? Would you rather play in the 90's which had radically different surfaces, promoting different styles of play, or the present surfaces are just great in your opinion ?

TheCanadian
10-12-2012, 09:26 AM
As far as Nadal bumping Rosol, I think it was well deserved, as Rosol was being very cocky and in Nadal's face. I don't think Rafa handled it well, and took it too personally, but I don't think any worse of him for it.

Really? It just seemed to me that Rosol was dancing a little before receiving (nothing out of the ordinary). The chair umpire didn't think Rosol was doing anything outrageous.

I ask about cheating because I played guys who would call a ball out if it fell in the middle of the court on big points. I felt like crying many times but never knew what to do about it. I hope Tennis Canada and provincial federations have done things to improve junior tournaments in that respect. I don't know since I played in the '80's but I'm worried about my son.

Last question, would you say your father taught you the technique you have today? And out of curiosity, does he have any tennis credentials? I recall Andrew Sznajder's dad coaching him and I think that's why Andrew was always technically limited (couldn't hit a slice BH, weird grip on serve), etc.

jokinla
10-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Really? It just seemed to me that Rosol was dancing a little before receiving (nothing out of the ordinary). The chair umpire didn't think Rosol was doing anything outrageous.

I ask about cheating because I played guys who would call a ball out if it fell in the middle of the court on big points. I felt like crying many times but never knew what to do about it. I hope Tennis Canada and provincial federations have done things to improve junior tournaments in that respect. I don't know since I played in the '80's but I'm worried about my son.

Last question, would you say your father taught you the technique you have today? And out of curiosity, does he have any tennis credentials? I recall Andrew Sznajder's dad coaching him and I think that's why Andrew was always technically limited (couldn't hit a slice BH, weird grip on serve), etc.

Back in my junior days, if we got hooked, we did just that, call the next ball out in the middle of the court, and then go get a lines judge. You've gotten your point back, and don't have to worry about it happening again.

*Sparkle*
10-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Good luck Filip with the tennis itself, and as you progress, handling the inevitable judgements from people who have noticed that you aren't (yet) in the top five, or not (yet) a slam winner! :D

Rui
10-12-2012, 10:07 AM

I didn't think so either. What I saw was that Rosol was having such a good time beating Rafa, smiling and celebrating winners, it was not surprising Rafa would be irritated at the lack of respect for beating a better player. Rafa shouldn't use physical contact to show disapproval, however.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey there Filip!

Nice of you to join. Just had two silly Q's for ya'.

Favorite pre/post match meal??......

How about music before a match?... Are you a rocker or a hip-hopper?

Pasta, Steak and Slayer usually do it for me. :smile:
Good questions!

I generally try to eat light before a match, nothing too heavy. After a match I usually try to have a lot of pasta with some meat and veggies, although it does depend on what I'm craving at the moment :P

As far as music goes, I'm definitely a rocker! I do like some hip-hop, but more of the older stuff, none of the new mainstream rap. My pump up song for a match, about 99% of the time is One Step Closer by Linkin Park. I do like almost any kind of rock though, including classic rock like Led Zep, Queen, and the Beatles, and also a LOT of 90's rock and alternative like Pearl Jam, STP and Our Lady Peace. Hope that cleared things up regarding the music I listen to :)

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Yeah it does happen everywhere, especially at a younger age.

My dad didn't have any background in tennis. He just played recreationally with friends. He tried to learn as much as he could about the game from known coaches and the top pros, and had me emulate a lot of those guys. I think he did a great job, especially considering how little experience he had. He was very strict about having a good technique on every stroke, and being able to develop everything into a weapon, which I believe was exactly the right approach.

GRANITECHIEF
10-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Hey Filip, welcome aboard the t-warehouse!

Congrats on your US Open Jr. victory. Quick questions for you about the beginning of that event:

I always feel the butterflies before leading up to the first match.

What was your warm up before your first match and what do you remember about the first match!

Thanks!

Tennishacker
10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Since you write so well, were you home schooled or attended regular school?

Also, do you have any opinion on why the U.S. is so lacking in developing any top pros.

Thks.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Hey Filip, welcome aboard the t-warehouse!

Congrats on your US Open Jr. victory. Quick questions for you about the beginning of that event:

I always feel the butterflies before leading up to the first match.

What was your warm up before your first match and what do you remember about the first match!

Thanks!
The warmup was the same as I would do before any other match. Keeping your usual routine keeps you confident about preparing properly, and helps you get rid of some of the nerves, as you are doing something that is familiar to you. Always need to make sure you break a sweat before you go on court, though.

Regarding the match itself, I remember it being a typical first round. I wasn't playing my best, still a bit off rhythm and a little nervous. It was basically a match where I did enough to win comfortably, just made a lot of shots, didn't play any flashy tennis. First rounds are always tough in the sense that you don't usually play to the best of your ability and try to find your rhythm. As I got farther into the tournament, I started to play better and better.

TheCanadian
10-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Are you giving Nadal a break because he's such a huge star and Rosol a relative nobody? I can understand why you don't want to criticize to somebody like that publicly but to excuse it is a different matter. Especially since he had officials on hand to complain to and he was playing on centre court. I've got to say that if somebody bumped into me intentionally like that in the juniors, fists would be flying. You don't assault me and get away with it. I was happy Rosol handled it beautifully, though, and Nadal looked like a poor loser.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Since you write so well, were you home schooled or attended regular school?

Also, do you have any opinion on why the U.S. is so lacking in developing any top pros.

Thks.
I went to public school until I was 13, at which time I started doing it by correspondence, as I was missing to many classes when I was away at tournaments.

As far as the US development goes, I don't think it is my place to make comments about that, as I am not familiar with their development program. I honestly don't know why they are in that situation.

TheCanadian
10-12-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm surprised you don't put any lead on your racquet. I thought most pros did.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Are you giving Nadal a break because he's such a huge star and Rosol a relative nobody? I can understand why you don't want to criticize to somebody like that publicly but to excuse it is a different matter. Especially since he had officials on hand to complain to and he was playing on centre court. I've got to say that if somebody bumped into me intentionally like that in the juniors, fists would be flying. You don't assault me and get away with it. I was happy Rosol handled it beautifully, though, and Nadal looked like a poor loser.
As I said before, I wasn't making excuses for him, or defending him. I agree that he didn't handle it how he should have done, but at the same time Rosol was quite in his face. It has nothing to do with Nadal being a huge star. I think that Rosol did the right thing by showing Nadal that he wasn't scared, but in my opinion he went a little bit overboard. Either way, he deserved to win, as he did what he had to do in order to take the match.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm surprised you don't put any lead on your racquet. I thought most pros did.
I'm pretty sure most pros do. I just didn't want to change what had been working for me, and I didn't have a lot of time to experiment. When I have some time during the offseason, I'll be able to try it out a bit more thoroughly and see what works for my game.

rainingaces
10-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Are there any good serve and volley players playing juniors?

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Are there any good serve and volley players playing juniors?
I don't think there are any players that really play a classic serve and volley/chip and charge gamestyle. Quite a few do it often as a change-up, though.

rainingaces
10-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't think there are any players that really play a classic serve and volley/chip and charge gamestyle. Quite a few do it often as a change-up, though.

That is a shame to hear i love the contrast in styles, although there seems to be fewer and fewer s and v players in the pros. There is still room for it in the modern game on fast indoor surfaces llodra and stepanek still do well. Good luck in mexico and the future i will look out for your matches.

TheCanadian
10-12-2012, 11:04 AM
As I said before, I wasn't making excuses for him, or defending him. I agree that he didn't handle it how he should have done, but at the same time Rosol was quite in his face. It has nothing to do with Nadal being a huge star. I think that Rosol did the right thing by showing Nadal that he wasn't scared, but in my opinion he went a little bit overboard. Either way, he deserved to win, as he did what he had to do in order to take the match.

He got into Nadal's head but within the limits of what's permissible, in my opinion. I mean, the officials didn't see anything worthy of notice. Nadal toweling off after every point, regularly abusing the time rule, and going through his elaborate rituals is more bothersome than a guy dancing around while waiting for your serve. Seriously.

Netspirit
10-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi Filip,

Many thanks for being the rock star of these forums. :)

1. When you train, do you put more attention on developing your weakness (so it is less of a weakness) vs. sharpening your strength/weapon, or do you do it 50/50? What would you describe as your main strength, by the way?

2. The serve (looking at your pic with the perfect pronation in the follow-through) - what would you especially highlight as a key to a good serve? Is there an element that you could recommend to pay the most attention to?

NDFM
10-12-2012, 11:07 AM
What's a typical day like for you when you're competing in the grand slams?

TheCanadian
10-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Do you want to share some favourite gamesmanship pet peeves with us? What bothers you most? The injury breaks to slow down the momentum?

Gonzalito17
10-12-2012, 11:10 AM
This is riveting reading for 15 minutes, now I have become a fan and want to see you play and succeed. What inspired you to take this innovative move to interact with and build a fast growing fanbase? Does vocal crowd support inspire you to play higher level tennis?

Also, will you still come to visit your fans here after you win your first ATP major title? (I know you will)

Good Luck Filip Peliwo, you are now one of my favorite players, feel like I know you and you will make a good future champion for sport.

The Dark Knight
10-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Have you ever met Nadal Or Fed?

If so what happened ? What are they like?

krz
10-12-2012, 11:43 AM

:neutral:

10char

Power Player
10-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Read the thread. He already answers this

tistrapukcipeht
10-12-2012, 12:06 PM

While you're at it:

1- What would you do if Nadal purposely bumped into you on a change over?? (To me a despicable behavior of somebody in his status)

2- I think Euginie Bouchard is the hottest WTA player, how have you not hit on her? Does she have a boyfriend?

dominikk1985
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Stop wasting his time about the nadal thing:D.

Ask him about tennis:).

Regarding your technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqY4tq8V09o

your strokes look a little unsual, kinda abbreviated and wristy but still with a lot of snap. also they look relatively flat. Is that something you do on purpose to distinguish yourself from the other guys or just your style.

do you think a lot about technique?

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 12:43 PM
While you're at it:

1- What would you do if Nadal purposely bumped into you on a change over?? (To me a despicable behavior of somebody in his status)

2- I think Euginie Bouchard is the hottest WTA player, how have you not hit on her? Does she have a boyfriend?
I would be ****ed off about it for sure, and I'd definitely be vocal about it to him. I'm not denying that it was bad of him to do it. I just think that both guys went overboard with their mental games, including Rosol.

I don't think it's my business or my place to be answering that about her, haha.

LeeD
10-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Good game...
Strong SW grip, short violent swing, quick light feet, ala Courier and a young ElliotTelscher. Plenty of topspin for an attacking baseliner's game
Is your coach working on making your serve more compact?
Looks like you're still growing too.
And don't hesitate to ask our help if you need a place to stay while travelling.

The Dark Knight
10-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Ummmmmm......ok .....

Have you ever met Ivanovic? Any romance gossip you can talk about on the tour?

sureshs
10-12-2012, 12:54 PM
His swing is not short. It is just so much faster than you are used to seeing that it appears short to you.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Stop wasting his time about the nadal thing:D.

Ask him about tennis:).

Regarding your technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqY4tq8V09o

your strokes look a little unsual, kinda abbreviated and wristy but still with a lot of snap. also they look relatively flat. Is that something you do on purpose to distinguish yourself from the other guys or just your style.

do you think a lot about technique?
I try to give myself the option of hitting any shot, so technique is important. That being said, I try not to think too much about it anymore, as that causes me to overthink my strokes and mess them up.

You don't see it on tv from that angle, but there's a lot more spin on that FH than you think :P BH is quite flat though.

I try to take the ball quite early, so that makes it a bit tougher to get a lot of spin on my shots, so I always get a lot more topspin when I stay a bit further back.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Ummmmmm......ok .....

Have you ever met Ivanovic? Any romance gossip you can talk about on the tour?
Never met her before :/

Nothing that I know of.

The Dark Knight
10-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Never met her before :/

Nothing that I know of.

Agi Szavay slept over my house during the open. Dead serious. She is probably going to retire due to a back injury .:-(

She is giving it 6 months . She may have spine surgery. I think she is done. :-(

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Good game...
Strong SW grip, short violent swing, quick light feet, ala Courier and a young ElliotTelscher. Plenty of topspin for an attacking baseliner's game
Is your coach working on making your serve more compact?
Looks like you're still growing too.
And don't hesitate to ask our help if you need a place to stay while travelling.
Yeah we are still tweaking a few things with my serve, it's a work in progress.

I am still growing, slowly but steadily. Thanks a lot for the offer by the way, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 01:00 PM
His swing is not short. It is just so much faster than you are used to seeing that it appears short to you.
I agree. I try to get a lot of acceleration with my shots, so it may seem shorter than it really is.

LeeD
10-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Not dissing you, but I watched both Elliot and JimCourier since they were junior players to when their careers ended with a series of minor injuries that led to decreased practice time. Elliot's strokes got longer as he got older, while Jim's stayed short, violent and compact, like these vids show.

sureshs
10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
I agree. I try to get a lot of acceleration with my shots, so it may seem shorter than it really is.

Don't take LeeD's posts seriously. No one does.

The Dark Knight
10-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Agi Szavay slept over my house during the open. Dead serious. She is probably going to retire due to a back injury .:-(

She is giving it 6 months . She may have spine surgery. I think she is done. :-(

Szavay says sharapova is beatch. She doesn't say hello to anyone.

She has a crush on Blake who she says is te nicest guy in the world.

Fed used to be nicer ....still nice but a bit aloof now.

Nadal she says is a sweetheart. Hugs everyone and really nice.

Wozniaki also really a seeetheart

Petrakozi.....very strange girl.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Not dissing you, but I watched both Elliot and JimCourier since they were junior players to when their careers ended with a series of minor injuries that led to decreased practice time. Elliot's strokes got longer as he got older, while Jim's stayed short, violent and compact, like these vids show.
I think these days, it's really difficult to have a long swing, at the speed at which the game is played. It's important to have a loose, relaxed arm, but the swing itself should be somewhat compact.

At the same time, a huge difference between a lot of the top guys and the lower ranked guys is racket head speed. Acceleration is really important, in my opinion, so if you are able to get a lot of racket head speed, while not putting in a lot of effort by keeping your arm loose, (therefore making it a lot easier to avoid injuries) you can do a lot of damage.

LeeD
10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
I think you misunderstand.
I like your strokes. Like Couriers, and Elliot's. Both guys made top 4 in their time.
Some player's, like Nalbandian, have longer strokes.
Definetely hit the way you are doing, as it's working. I"m just wondering what your coach says about your serve motion, and it's effect on consistency when the days string together and the matches last longer and longer.

AltiusFortius
10-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Hello, what is your favorite tennis stroke?

Power Player
10-12-2012, 01:37 PM
This sure is nice to read. Lot of info, especially on technique nd strokes that I agree with, but it's nice to see a high level player verifying. Especially in terms of the relaxed swing. Definitely changed the game for me once I relaxed and got my arm loose. the racquet head speed goes up as well.

Looks a like a lot of forehand spin coming off that 18x20 pattern in the Aussie Open link. That is the best of both worlds right there.

I have a coach who has ATP points and he taught me a flatter backhand as well. Very similar to yours in some ways. Load up the weight on the front foot, lean into the shot and crack it. It seems like most pros are hitting the 2 hander this way, do you deal with any that hit with more top off that side?

TheCanadian
10-12-2012, 02:07 PM
What are your bh grips?

kaku
10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Have you ever hit against a top 4 player? If so, how did it go?

SStrikerR
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
How much do players (in general) actually enjoy interacting with fans? Like signing autographs, talking, things like that. Sometimes I wonder if they don't get bored of it and only do it because they feel obligated to.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I think you misunderstand.
I like your strokes. Like Couriers, and Elliot's. Both guys made top 4 in their time.
Some player's, like Nalbandian, have longer strokes.
Definetely hit the way you are doing, as it's working. I"m just wondering what your coach says about your serve motion, and it's effect on consistency when the days string together and the matches last longer and longer.
Haha sorry.

Well we are trying to keep it more compact, to avoid unecessary movements. Still working on finding something I'm 100% satisfied with.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Hello, what is your favorite tennis stroke?
Probably the FH.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
This sure is nice to read. Lot of info, especially on technique nd strokes that I agree with, but it's nice to see a high level player verifying. Especially in terms of the relaxed swing. Definitely changed the game for me once I relaxed and got my arm loose. the racquet head speed goes up as well.

Looks a like a lot of forehand spin coming off that 18x20 pattern in the Aussie Open link. That is the best of both worlds right there.

I have a coach who has ATP points and he taught me a flatter backhand as well. Very similar to yours in some ways. Load up the weight on the front foot, lean into the shot and crack it. It seems like most pros are hitting the 2 hander this way, do you deal with any that hit with more top off that side?
It's very rare to have a guy hit more topspin from his backhand. I have seen quite a few guys who hit their backhands better and bigger than their forehands.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
How much do players (in general) actually enjoy interacting with fans? Like signing autographs, talking, things like that. Sometimes I wonder if they don't get bored of it and only do it because they feel obligated to.
Haha sorry responded to the wrong question here..

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure how other players feel about it. I'm sure they do see it partly as an obligation.

Personally, I enjoy interacting with fans. It's always nice to hear words of support from them, and know that you are liked by the tennis community. I do see it as an obligation, in a sense, because I feel like I should at least sign an autograph to thank the fans for coming out to support me during my matches. It's really the least I could do to show my gratitude. It does get a bit boring (or rather, difficult to keep smiling for the camera, haha) if there is 50 people lined up waiting for a picture, but I still enjoy it. I feel bad if I leave anyone out, especially after they waited a long time to get one.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Have you ever hit against a top 4 player? If so, how did it go?
Never have hit with a top 4 player.

fpeliwo
10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
What are your bh grips?
I use a grip that is close to, or completely continental with my right hand, and a semi-western with the left.

LeeD
10-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Strong, flowing backhand 1hbh slice confirms that.....

sureshs
10-12-2012, 03:02 PM
What are your bh grips?

Same as the forehand one - Wilson grip with white overgrip as he already said.

Sorry couldn't resist that one :-)

dominikk1985
10-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Don't take LeeD's posts seriously. No one does.

actually he gives some of the best advice here in the forum regarding tennis tips (no kidding). you just have to plow through some crazy old mens stories to get to them:).