PDA

View Full Version : Tennis pros and religion

AtomicForehand
10-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Has anyone else noticed the high percentage of pros on both the men's and women's tours who conspicuously wear a cross around their necks?

Several players (Juan Martin del Potro probably being the most conspicuous) make a point of crossing themselves and kissing their fingers up to the sky when they win.

Djokovic does both of these things, and has even been awarded, to great public fanfare, the highest distinction in the Serbian Orthodox Church.

It would be interesting to do a study on how many athletes are atheist or non-religious and where they tend to come from (my guess is Northern and Western Europe). Looks like most of the Christians come from the U.S. and second- or third-world countries. Anybody know about the beliefs of players from Muslim or other non-Christian countries (mostly these would be in Asia)?

I don't recall noticing other ostentatious displays of religion on the pro circuit other than Christian ones. This just got me wondering about how many pros might be Buddhist, Muslim, atheist, or other religions.

batz
10-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Has anyone else noticed the high percentage of pros on both the men's and women's tours who conspicuously wear a cross around their necks?

Several players (Juan Martin del Potro probably being the most conspicuous) make a point of crossing themselves and kissing their fingers up to the sky when they win.

Djokovic does both of these things, and has even been awarded, to great public fanfare, the highest distinction in the Serbian Orthodox Church.

It would be interesting to do a study on how many athletes are atheist or non-religious and where they tend to come from (my guess is Northern and Western Europe). Looks like most of the Christians come from the U.S. and second- or third-world countries. Anybody know about the beliefs of players from Muslim or other non-Christian countries (mostly these would be in Asia)?

I don't recall noticing other ostentatious displays of religion on the pro circuit other than Christian ones. This just got me wondering about how many pros might be Buddhist, Muslim, atheist, or other religions.

Atheism is not a religion. Back OT, Uncle Toni has some pretty strong atheistic views, maybe Rafa has too?

Sri
10-10-2012, 09:24 AM
vatican is the true tennis goat

AtomicForehand
10-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Atheism is not a religion. Back OT, Uncle Toni has some pretty strong atheistic views, maybe Rafa has too?

True, atheism is not a religion. Bad choice of word order on my part. I should have put it first in the sentence and then grouped all the religions together afterward.

I believe I remember reading that Rafa does not believe in any gods. There was an interview with him somewhere. I'll try to find it.

rdis10093
10-10-2012, 09:39 AM
for real rafa is godless?

NDFM
10-10-2012, 09:42 AM
for real rafa is godless?

i think he is although i read somewhere he might be agnostic, kinda similar i guess

RF20Lennon
Rafa is atheist yeah

OHBH
Rafa is definitely moving up in my book.

He must have figured it out when he realized if god existed he would never have allowed so much topspin.

dimeaxe
10-10-2012, 09:56 AM
If there is any God of tennis, I believe Roger thinks he is the one actually:)

sureshs
10-10-2012, 09:58 AM
If there is any God of tennis, I believe Roger thinks he is the one actually:)

Nadal is the real God of tennis

PSNELKE
10-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Well my fellow German players don't seem to practice any religion.

I'd say those guys from the Balkans(Serbs, Croats etc), Italians, Spanyards and Portuguese are the most religious Europeans.

I know that Fed is catholic and even got to meet the pope. But he doesn't really talk about his religious believes in public, which is perfectly fine IMO.

Nadal seems agnostic to me which is "unusual" for Spanyards?!

As much as I've seen almost all South American players seem to have a more or less strong religious belief. (Mainly catholic)

I really don't know about muslim tennis players for the simple reason that there aren't too many on the Pro Tour.
Tennis is certainly not yet as popular as football, basketball in muslim countries, but seems like tennis is slowly establishing itself there tho.

kishnabe
10-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Rafa is atheist yeah

Rafa believes in the devil but not god?

That does not make sense.

OP....I think there is no correlation between any religion, any ethinicity and especially not tennis.

It just those who are religious in tennis....cheer too much about God helping him through. God shouldn't pick sides in a tennis match. This is human life...competing with free will with no determined fate till then end result.

vive le beau jeu !
10-10-2012, 10:03 AM

maybe it was more polite than religious when he was doing it on the court (even if he did this one week buddhist retreat in a temple ?), but anyway i guess it's worth mentionning it in this thread...
http://im.rediff.com/sports/2011/nov/09slide3.jpg

he believes in tio toni, and all the fairies and magical creatures he can make appear.

BorisBeckerFan
10-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Fun stuff.

batz
10-10-2012, 10:14 AM
did my post seriously get deleted?

I thin kthe mods have deleted any post that was about about just atheism as opposed to tennis players and athiesm/religion. Which seems fair enough - I certainly wandered off topic.

Emet74
10-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Fed is officially Catholic but not very religious; he's said he does believe in God but when asked about life after death he answered he's "50-50" on that one.

Safin was Muslim tho' not religious, the doubles player Qureshi is Muslim as well of course, and Israeli players like Erlich and Ram, Sela and Shahar Pe'er are Jewish, as is Jesse Levine from USA and probably some others as well.

TW Staff
10-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I thin kthe mods have deleted any post that was about about just atheism as opposed to tennis players and athiesm/religion. Which seems fair enough - I certainly wandered off topic.

Correct. Please keep to the topic as comments regarding religion alone will be removed. As most of you probably know, we no longer allow "Rants & Raves" posts -- those generally dealing with politics and with religion.

Thank you,
Tiffani, TW

The Bawss
10-10-2012, 11:49 AM
maybe it was more polite than religious when he was doing it on the court (even if he did this one week buddhist retreat in a temple ?), but anyway i guess it's worth mentionning it in this thread...
http://im.rediff.com/sports/2011/nov/09slide3.jpg

he believes in tio toni, and all the fairies and magical creatures he can make appear.

That grip is tiny!

Rock Strongo
10-10-2012, 11:54 AM
That grip is tiny!

He married a supermodel, he didn't have to compensate.

The Bawss
10-10-2012, 12:13 PM
He married a supermodel, he didn't have to compensate.

They broke up. I'm sure he bumped up his grip size 2 or 3 sizes after that.

TennisLovaLova
10-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Fortunatly, religious displays of love towards a god or a prophet in tennis are discreet, really nothing compared to what we can see in soccer for exemple

This is what brazil did in 2002 after winning the world cup
http://youtu.be/B20I78DscKc

FIFA immediatly banned any kind of religious celebration of victory after this final cause it was proselitysme/evangelist, an attitude you dont wanna see in world most broacsted events.

Great Uncle Bulgaria
10-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I remember Michael Chang being very open and vocal about his (Xtn) faith. It got on some people's nerves; Edberg joked that he had no chance in the FO 89final, given Chang had Jesus on his side.

Andre Agassi was also said to be quite religious in his younger days at least. Not sure if this was a publicity tool though.

On the women's side Margaret Court comes to mind but don't know whether she found her faith after her retirement.

Also I am not sure whether wearing a cross or other symbol necessarily means someone is religious.

dominikk1985
10-10-2012, 12:44 PM
well most tennis players are a bit lunatic and believe in all kind of crap like not touching lines, folding the towels in a certain way or putting their equipment in a certain order.

I think this is because in tennis you are alone and your thoughts can wander so you often develope a lot of superstitions to keep their mind from wandering and giving themselves something to believe when it gets tough.

TopFH
10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
It's okay if a tennis player is Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist or whatever he or she thinks is okay, just as long as they are not too boisterous about it. I'm okay with things like Delpo or Nole crossing themselves, but things like Chang's "Jesus is on my side" are just too absurd or preposterous.

AtomicForehand
10-10-2012, 05:09 PM
It's okay if a tennis player is Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist or whatever he or she thinks is okay, just as long as they are not too boisterous about it. I'm okay with things like Delpo or Nole crossing themselves, but things like Chang's "Jesus is on my side" are just too absurd or preposterous.

Maybe Delpo and Nole crossing themselves is equivalent to Chang's statement--as in "Thank you, God, for choosing ME to win"?

Crisstti
10-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Rafa has been considerably milder in his comments (compared to Toni), but he's made it clear he's agnostic.

Didn't know Fed was catholic.

What about other top players, like Murray, Berdych, Tsonga?, anyone knows?.

sbengte
10-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Rafa is atheist yeah

Not true. Rafa is a follower of the Church of Fed.

DanaKz
10-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Marat and Dinara Safins are muslims.

batz
10-11-2012, 06:39 AM
Rafa has been considerably milder in his comments (compared to Toni), but he's made it clear he's agnostic.

Didn't know Fed was catholic.

What about other top players, like Murray, Berdych, Tsonga?, anyone knows?.

Murray is nominally Church of Scotland but I don't think he has any strong religious views.

dominikk1985
10-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Murray is nominally Church of Scotland but I don't think he has any strong religious views.

I didn't realize that there is a church of scotland. funny how all the british countries invented their own church. the english church too was invented by a former english king:D (I think to get rid of his wife but I'm not sure about this). Really crazy the english with their religion:).

Back to topic: I don't think there are a lot of good muslim players right now but a few years ago there were some good players from marocco. what happened to maroccan tennis?

AtomicForehand
11-19-2013, 11:54 AM
So Delpo and Pope Francis seem to be quite thick.

Who Am I?
11-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Nadal is an atheist. That's unusual given that he is Spanish.

I think Murray is somewhat religious, given that he points to the sky after winning. Safin is a Muslim. Wow, with his party lifestyle and numerous girlfriends, I could have never guessed.

And Fed is a Catholic just like me. At least we have something in common.

rabidranger
11-19-2013, 12:28 PM
The sport is dominated by players from a strong Christian tradition/practice. Not surprised.

rossi46
11-19-2013, 12:39 PM

Just like Greece, the Orthodox Church has a strong standing in Serbia, when the Greeks won the 2004 European Nation's Cup (football) they were presented the trophy by a priest in a large public celebration in Greece.

Not sure what you mean by most Christians are from the US, almost all Europeans are Christians i.e. Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox. There are hardly any players from the US these days.

jaggy
11-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Rafa coming out of this thread way higher in my estimation

Incognito
11-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Nishikori is a radical shintoist. :D

Incognito
11-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Nadal is an atheist. That's usual given that he is Spanish.

I think Murray is somewhat religious, given that he points to the sky after winning. Safin is a Muslim. Wow, with his party lifestyle and numerous girlfriends, I could have never guessed.

He can still be a muslim even with all the partying.

Who Am I?
11-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Just like Greece, the Orthodox Church has a strong standing in Serbia, when the Greeks won the 2004 European Nation's Cup (football) they were presented the trophy by a priest in a large public celebration in Greece.

Not sure what you mean by most Christians are from the US, almost all Europeans are Christians i.e. Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox. There are hardly any players from the US these days.

The US has the most number of Christians.

Incognito
11-19-2013, 12:47 PM
El Aynaoui and the rest of the Moroccans in 90s were muslims or have muslim backgrounds..

Who Am I?
11-19-2013, 12:47 PM

True.......

AtomicForehand
11-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Rafa coming out of this thread way higher in my estimation

Mine too.

10FlyingSpaghettiMonsters

winstonplum
11-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Uncle Toni is an atheist. As an intellectual, a free-thinker, and not a simp, he's never been afraid to speak his mind and speak truth to powerful institutions--always admirable characterists.

Nadal has stated that he's agnostic. Toni actually has some funny, strong put-downs about religion, stupidity and superstition.

Who Am I?
11-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Uncle Toni is an atheist. As an intellectual, a free-thinker, and not a simp, he's never been afraid to speak his mind and speak truth to powerful institutions--always admirable characterists.

Nadal has stated that he's agnostic. Toni actually has some funny, strong put-downs about religion, stupidity and superstition.

What about the rest of Nadal's family? His parents, sister and GF?

pound cat
11-19-2013, 01:45 PM
They broke up. I'm sure he bumped up his grip size 2 or 3 sizes after that.

I wonder if his mother still guts his toenails. I remember a match where he had a medical time out & because his toe nails were so long they were paining him. The medic cut them for him.

I guess he hadn't seen mom for a long time.

dominikk1985
11-19-2013, 01:51 PM

historically the russian muslims have not been very radical in their religion although it got a little more since they have been oppressed by the russian regime (often radicalisation happens more for political reasons).

kiki
11-19-2013, 02:11 PM
I remember Michael Chang being very open and vocal about his (Xtn) faith. It got on some people's nerves; Edberg joked that he had no chance in the FO 89final, given Chang had Jesus on his side.

Andre Agassi was also said to be quite religious in his younger days at least. Not sure if this was a publicity tool though.

On the women's side Margaret Court comes to mind but don't know whether she found her faith after her retirement.

Also I am not sure whether wearing a cross or other symbol necessarily means someone is religious.

Ginny Wade´s dad was a presbiterian preacher.

Andrea Jaeger became a mum

Connors,Mc Enroe and Evert came from catholic families, which is not a predominant religion in US ( or it was not when they were kids, at least)

Sid_Vicious
11-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Nadal is an atheist. That's usual given that he is Spanish.

I think a few years ago Federer said that he no longer believed.

AtomicForehand
11-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Connors,Mc Enroe and Evert came from catholic families, which is not a predominant religion in US ( or it was not when they were kids, at least)

Yes it was--more so than now.

Who Am I?
In 2009, Federer said that he doesn't believe anymore.

Link please, but anyway I don't really care tbh.

But I'm assuming the reason he had an impromptu marriage was because Mirka got pregnant, which indicates that he was still a Catholic in 2009.

TopFH
I think a few years ago Federer said that he no longer believed.

Really? I have not seen anything to the contrary.

Mainad
11-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Ginny Wade´s dad was a presbiterian preacher.

He was an Anglican archdeacon in Durban, South Africa (Wade lived there from the age of 1 to 15).

Andrea Jaeger became a mum

A mum? Was that before or after she became an Episcopalian nun? :)

Sid_Vicious
11-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Link please, but anyway I don't really care tbh.

But I'm assuming the reason he had an impromptu marriage was because Mirka got pregnant, which indicates that he was still a Catholic in 2009.

Really? I have not seen anything to the contrary.

I'll try to look for it. It was an article that was translated from swiss german I remember. He stated that he was not religious and I think it is pretty obvious that he isn't.

Who Am I?
11-19-2013, 02:49 PM
I'll try to look for it. It was an article that was translated from swiss german I remember. He stated that he was not religious and I think it is pretty obvious that he isn't.

There are many non-religious people who believe in God. I know quite a few of them actually.

sureshs
11-19-2013, 02:50 PM

Yes, he is a person to be admired, as is his nephew. It is always gratifying to see people who are sportsmen and others you would not ordinarily think of as "intellectual" demonstrating that rational thinking is within the capacity of anyone who actually thinks for himself.

sureshs
11-19-2013, 03:13 PM
That might be true for celebrities and politicians, but I know normal people who are like that for no reason. In my high school, more than half the the kids didn't believe in evolution for religious reasons, but then after school they had no issues doing crack, getting into fights, selling drugs etc. It just annoyed me. I'm more of an "all or nothing" person. If you are going to be religious, actually do religious stuff in your spare time.

That is because of the brainwashing by their parents and society. They were told that not believing in evolution is a brave position to take in opposition to the evil world, so it became a heroic thing for them to do. My parents were similar. It took me a long time to see the light. In the past, it would have been to bravely harass gays to protest against the evil society. Something to cling to the past and perceive oneself as moral and persecuted. As times change, fewer of these things exist, but people always need something or the other to feel good about themselves.

AtomicForehand
11-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Hum. Some deletion of perfectly non-inflammatory, reasonable posts by the mods. What a shame.

Jeffrey573639
11-19-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't know where Sid's post has gone but in reply to it, I don't think that's very practical Sid. I think there was a survey that initiated the current survey being done by the Catholic Church that showed only 5% of practicing Catholics are actually 'good Catholics'.

gavna
11-19-2013, 03:26 PM

WHAT!!!!!!! There are 80million Catholics in the USA and the Catholic denomination is the largest single one in the USA!

Catholics have had a strong hold since the Spanish and French first set up colonies here - add the influx of Irish, German, Italians in the north East and ******* in the 19th century.

Places like Florida, So Cal, Louisiana, Missouri, Illinois, Michigan, New York, Massacussets, Maryland - cities like Mobile, New Orleans, New York, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, St Louis, Detroit.......etc have been Catholic strong holds for centuries.

gavna
11-19-2013, 03:28 PM
There are many non-religious people who believe in God. I know quite a few of them actually.

Very true........lots of folks are not fans or members of any organized religion but call themselves "spiritual" and just believe in a higher power.

Sid_Vicious
11-19-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't know where Sid's post has gone but in reply to it, I don't think that's very practical Sid. I think there was a survey that initiated the current survey being done by the Catholic Church that showed only 5% of practicing Catholics are actually 'good Catholics'.

Probably not, Jeff. You are right. I was just ranting. Its not just about Christians. It's just so silly when you see non-practicing muslims reading food labels on everything to make sure there is no pork in it. Apparently skittles have pork in them. :neutral:

Dedans Penthouse
11-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Safin is a Muslim. Wow, with his party lifestyle and numerous girlfriends, I could have never guessed. [/]

[b]He can still be a muslim even with all the partying.
Exactly, just don't confuse liking to pork with liking pork.

Who Am I?
11-19-2013, 04:13 PM
WHAT!!!!!!! There are 80million Catholics in the USA and the Catholic denomination is the largest single one in the USA!

Catholics have had a strong hold since the Spanish and French first set up colonies here - add the influx of Irish, German, Italians in the north East and ******* in the 19th century.

Places like Florida, So Cal, Louisiana, Missouri, Illinois, Michigan, New York, Massacussets, Maryland - cities like Mobile, New Orleans, New York, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, St Louis, Detroit.......etc have been Catholic strong holds for centuries.

In Tennessee, where I'm from, the largest denomination is Baptist. I'm one of the few catholics there.

dParis
11-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Fortunatly, religious displays of love towards a god or a prophet in tennis are discreet, really nothing compared to what we can see in soccer for exemple

This is what brazil did in 2002 after winning the world cup
http://youtu.be/B20I78DscKc

FIFA immediatly banned any kind of religious celebration of victory after this final cause it was proselitysme/evangelist, an attitude you dont wanna see in world most broacsted events.
Yeah, the sideline baptisms/conversions and the bloody sacrafice at midfield were way over the top. :shock:

But seriously, what was the problem? Is Stalin's grandson running FIFA now?

An open door to some guilt-free rule bending, perhaps. :p I think he often comes across as the fortunate, bloviating beneficiary of his jock nephew's talent.

Overdrive
11-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Hum. Some deletion of perfectly non-inflammatory, reasonable posts by the mods. What a shame.

Wow, this thread is still around? I'm surprised that the fanboys didn't derail it..

Do you know what Raonic is wearing? I thought it was a necklace that was shaped like a racquet.

Crose
11-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Exactly, just don't confuse liking to pork with liking pork.

LOL. Outstanding sir.

AtomicForehand
11-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Do you know what Raonic is wearing? I thought it was a necklace that was shaped like a racquet.

No, what is it? A Thor's hammer? Some sort of cross?

Overdrive
11-19-2013, 04:41 PM
No, what is it? A Thor's hammer? Some sort of cross?

Never mind, it's a cross. :lol:

Isn't his name pronounced MIL-OS RAO-NICH?

http://cdnolympic.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/raonic_milos2_1340px.jpg

AtomicForehand
11-19-2013, 04:50 PM
I think it's pronounced "MEE-loash ROW-nitch," where the "ROW" rhymes with COW.

Who Am I?
11-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Delete....

Crisstti
11-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Probably not, Jeff. You are right. I was just ranting. Its not just about Christians. It's just so silly when you see non-practicing muslims reading food labels on everything to make sure there is no pork in it. Apparently skittles have pork in them. :neutral:

An avid reader of food labels myself, it's gross the stuff that's in some food...

Overdrive
11-19-2013, 05:41 PM
I think it's pronounced "MEE-loash ROW-nitch," where the "ROW" rhymes with COW.

Oh.. Thanks!

A lot of people get it wrong...

gavna
11-19-2013, 06:01 PM
In Tennessee, where I'm from, the largest denomination is Baptist. I'm one of the few catholics there.

Ummmm yeah - U.S. South from the Carolina's thru East Texas was Baptist country for years and in most of it still is - Tenn as of the latest census is only 10% catholic. But just looking at the the states with the largest populations - Cali, Texas, New York, New Jersey, Florida, Illinois are all over 30% and some are almost 40% left footers.

USA as a whole today is like 28% Catholic.

TopFH
11-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Having pros with similar or same religions, like Federer and Del Potro in my case, helps me identify with and support them a bit more. However, when talking sports, religion is irrelevant. I don't care if someone is Catholic, Muslim or any other denomination, as I watch them for how they play and compete, not for what they believe in.

JRAJ1988
11-20-2013, 01:55 AM
Each to their own is my philosophy but both religion and non-religious belief share a common bond which is respect as that's human nature. :)

Djokovic comes to mind regarding religious tennis players as he wears that wooden cross which pops out of his T-shirt once in a while, he's a part of the Serbian Orthodox. The east of Europe during/after 1975/1992 had a religious renaissance, I won't say why as goes into political discussion.

There's plenty of seemingly "non-affiliated to religion" tennis players who still don the Crucifix.

I wear the Celtic Cross Crucifix as I'm Irish and Italian and my parents where Catholic, an ode to my heritage and my family. I have personal reservations about people in high places in regards to religion but if it's religious to believe in noble 3rd parties who look like humans who live in another dimension well I am. :)

PhrygianDominant
11-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Rafa is definitely moving up in my book.

He must have figured it out when he realized if god existed he would never have allowed so much topspin.

How this brilliant post has been passed over so many times is beyond me.

MauricioDias
11-20-2013, 02:41 AM
vatican is the true tennis goat

Hahhhahahahahahahah

MLB_MOB
11-20-2013, 07:21 AM
After seeing this video I happen to believe that Li Na is the tennis god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJMC7NJTqrc

AtomicForehand
11-20-2013, 11:09 AM
How this brilliant post has been passed over so many times is beyond me.

Agreed.

10topspinmonkeys

Vanhool
11-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Serena and Venus are Jehovah's Witnesses! That's why they don't put their hands on their hearts during the national anthem (it's considered worshipping a false idol or something like that). Can you imagine having them show up at your doorstep with religious pamphlets? :D

pound cat
11-21-2013, 02:31 PM

religious symbol such as crosses are often work as fashion jewelery

pound cat
11-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Serena and Venus are Jehovah's Witnesses! That's why they don't put their hands on their hearts during the national anthem (it's considered worshipping a false idol or something like that). Can you imagine having them show up at your doorstep with religious pamphlets? :D

Serena often thanks "her God Jehovah" when she wins a title.