PDA

View Full Version : Will Federer Have More Weeks at #1 than Nadal and Djokovic combined

McEnroeisanartist
10-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Do you think Federer will have more weeks at #1 than his "rivals" Nadal and Djokovic combined?

If Nadal never reaches number one again, then Djokovic would have to be #1 for at least another 145 weeks. This seems like a tall order.

It is interesting to note that Federer's consecutive weeks at #1 was 82 weeks longer than the length of Nadal's and Djokovic's consecutive weeks at 1.

Gonzo_style
10-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Do you think Federer will have more weeks at #1 than his "rivals" Nadal and Djokovic combined?

If Nadal never reaches number one again, then Djokovic would have to be #1 for at least another 145 weeks. This seems like a tall order.

It is interesting to note that Federer's consecutive weeks at #1 was 82 weeks longer than the length of Nadal's and Djokovic's consecutive weeks at 1.

"Will Federer have a more kids than Nadal and Djokovic combined"? Your next thread i guess....

FederErizeD
10-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Doesn't he already?

McEnroeisanartist
10-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Doesn't he already?

Well yeah, of course. I meant when all of their careers are over.

TMF
10-11-2012, 09:30 AM
They will combined to have more slam count and total titles, but few things that they will not match:

1. weeks #1.
2. WTF
3. Wimbledon
4. Total hard court titles

Eugene Choi
10-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Yes! Federers is the best! I think its like 287 weeks and continuing!

No1e
10-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I still hope Nole can break some of Fed's records, if not most.

TMF
10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
I still hope Nole can break some of Fed's records, if not most.

What kind of records you have in mind?

McEnroeisanartist
10-11-2012, 09:59 AM

The only one that I can see is most Australian Opens. I could see Novak winning 2 more.

Dedans Penthouse
10-11-2012, 09:59 AM
I've given this much thought. It depends.

No1e
10-11-2012, 10:02 AM

Consecutive slam SFs?
Total hardcourt slams?
2 sets of all 4 majors?

Personally, I want him to have more than 17 slams. I know it's a stretch, but not entirely impossible.

MichaelChang
10-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Consecutive slam SFs?
Total hardcourt slams?
2 sets of all 4 majors?

Personally, I want him to have more than 17 slams. I know it's a stretch, but not entirely impossible.

sorry to bust your dream. Novad is turning 26 soon.

TMF
10-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Consecutive slam SFs?
Total hardcourt slams?
2 sets of all 4 majors?

Sorry, that's not going to happen. I expected an answer that is more realistic, not virtually impossible.

TMF
10-11-2012, 10:20 AM
The only one that I can see is most Australian Opens. I could see Novak winning 2 more.

That's possible.

Good answer !

NadalAgassi
10-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Sorry, that's not going to happen. I expected an answer that is more realistic, not virtually impossible.

The most slam semis in a row might be difficult but it is not impossible. The mens game has NO depth outside the top 4 right now and for the forseeable future, no matter how much you hype Ferrer. Berdych and Tsonga are the only dangerous players, Berdych is his slave, and Tsonga has become his slave in the last several years. Another 3.5 years worth of slam semis of every slam? Definitely possible.

Anyway who are you to deem what is unrealistic. You are the one who claimed Serena had no chance to reach 20 majors which is looking increasingly laughable all the time.

The-Champ
10-11-2012, 10:31 AM

Doesn't Fed hold that record with AA?

No1e
10-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Well, you did ask what were in my mind, and I gave you the answer. I agree it does not seem very realistic, but I don't think it's 100% impossible.

Apparently, I am too much of a Nole fan.

tennis_pro
10-11-2012, 10:37 AM
The most slam semis in a row might be difficult but it is not impossible. The mens game has NO depth outside the top 4 right now and for the forseeable future, no matter how much you hype Ferrer. Berdych and Tsonga are the only dangerous players, Berdych is his slave, and Tsonga has become his slave in the last several years. Another 3.5 years worth of slam semis of every slam? Definitely possible.

Anyway who are you to deem what is unrealistic. You are the one who claimed Serena had no chance to reach 20 majors which is looking increasingly laughable all the time.

Not that I think she won't reach the 20 major count but she still needs to win those additional 5 GS championships to get there.

Gonzo_style
10-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Doesn't Fed hold that record with AA?

Agassi and Federer both have 4 AO

No1e
10-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Agreed. We should just wait and see. No one can predict the future, so I don't need anyone to tell me what to think and what to hope for.

tudwell
10-11-2012, 10:46 AM
The most slam semis in a row might be difficult but it is not impossible. The mens game has NO depth outside the top 4 right now and for the forseeable future, no matter how much you hype Ferrer. Berdych and Tsonga are the only dangerous players, Berdych is his slave, and Tsonga has become his slave in the last several years. Another 3.5 years worth of slam semis of every slam? Definitely possible

I agree. Djokovic has been very consistent, and may very well continue to be. All it takes is one loss, though. It will be exciting in a couple years if he starts getting closer.

BauerAlmeida
10-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Don't think so. Because probably the 1 will be one of those two (Nadal and Djokovic) for the next few years. Maybe Delpo or Murray will have some weeks. But I see Djokovic being N1 for the next few years and maybe Nadal too if he comes back strong.

TMF
10-11-2012, 12:59 PM

Nole only has 10 straight semi., he's got 13 more to go. It's not only about apposing players he's going to have to overcome, but being healthy for over 3 years, not skipping any event. There's possible of upset can happen anytime, as we have seen Nadal lost to Rosol and Soderling. The focus/drive has to high and consistent. One mental lapse can cost you a match.

I don't believe Serena will win 20 slams because that's too much for a women at 31. For the record, I was disageeing with you about Serena will end with 20 slams by the end of 2013.

NadalAgassi
10-11-2012, 01:24 PM
I am not saying Djokovic WILL break Federer's slam semifinal record but it is not unrealistic he can. Right now there is nobody outside the top 4 who has a hope of beating him in a big match. His durability seems to be no longer a problem as it used to be either. So it is possible he will break the record, it is far from certain, just that he definitely could.

Right now one lapse does not cost him a match before the semis. He can play a crap match and still get through until the semis of a slam right now, that seems clear. Only an injury or illness would. Whether that changes depends how much the field 5 ranked or lower improves or how soon he declines with age. Nadal is more vurnerable to an early upset as he easier for someone redlining to overpower than Djokovic.

FedError
10-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Djokovic had to save match points against Tsonga in the quarters of RG.

Candide
10-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Statistically Federer is overwhelmingly favoured to do this. The reason is that his achievement is in the bag and there are no variables to impinge upon it. For the other two guys there's and infinity of little things stacked against them as well as the brute fact of the rest of the field chasing them (albeit slowly - Raonic? Berdych?) as well as Father Time. Of course it could happen or Djokovic could break his thumb in training. Who knows?

It amazes me the amount of people who make pronouncements as though through a crystal ball - "Nadal wil win 5 more majors," "Djokovic will be no. 1 for 200 weeks." Uh huh, what did they say about the Titanic? "Not even God himself could sink this ship.”

sbengte
10-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Yawn. Who cares ? Didn't you know that Nadal is the only player in world history to be ranked #2 for the longest period of time ?

waiting for a certain someone to comment on this thread.