PDA

View Full Version : cracked racket, what kind of epoxy should I get

2ndServe
10-11-2012, 04:43 PM
I've got a really old racket that I like that's cracked. It plays ok, so I'm wondering what kind of epoxy I should get. Preferably something I can grab at hardware store tonight.

WhereIsMacMac
10-11-2012, 05:43 PM
I've got a really old racket that I like that's cracked. It plays ok, so I'm wondering what kind of epoxy I should get. Preferably something I can grab at hardware store tonight.

It plays ok before of after you cracked it?

bugeyed
10-11-2012, 05:55 PM
What do you want the epoxy for? Got something that can be fixed with epoxy?

Cheers,
kev

LeeD
10-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Whether is possible to repair for tennis play depends how bad the crack is and where it is.
90% of the time, no chance.
Use 2 part epoxy in a 5 to one ratio of epoxy to hardener. Grind the surrounding surface about 30 degrees into a shallow V, fill with a mixture of epoxy resin, catalyst, and chopped fiberglass strands.
Epoxy and catalyst by itself is brittle and barely adheres to anything around it. You need the fiberglass cloth for the bonding agent and to keep the mess from cracking due to being too brittle.

2ndServe
10-11-2012, 06:53 PM
plays ok after the crack. The real test will be when I restring it. The crack is at the 10 o'clock area.

WhereIsMacMac
10-11-2012, 08:08 PM
It's worth a try then :) Tho I hate to bring this up but I have a friend who's got a cracked racket. Did some epoxy job, and even strung it at a lower tension? Crack got worse after a hitting session

The Meat
10-11-2012, 08:19 PM
I tried regular epoxy for a slight crack on the top of the frame, filled it in. Played alright, but its sort of lacking the natural buzzing feel when you hit on it.

UCSF2012
10-11-2012, 08:23 PM

You're better off getting a mini-propane torch and melting that area and letting it recool. Graphite has to support string tension. Glue won't get that done. But realistically, racket's done for.