PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pain.. Should i change racquet?

Femed3
10-11-2012, 04:46 PM
I've been playing with a Head Ytk IG Radical MP strung with weiss cannon turbotwist at 52lbs
I feel confortable with this string but 1 week ago, after playing 6x/week and adding some real power to my flat first serve i got a shoulder pain and popping.
Should i just change for a more comfortable string (like a multi or a hybrid) or change racquet?
If changing is the answer, i was thinking about a Prince Exo3 Rebel 98..
What u guys think?
Thanks

Tim
10-11-2012, 06:14 PM
I'd recommend to first, take some time off to rest the shoulder and then definitely change out the string to something more arm friendly and see if it helps. If you are still having trouble even with the softer string then you may want to take more serious steps like consulting a doctor.

cluckcluck
10-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Ice, Motrin IB, and rest is the first thing for you to do. The Radical that you have is on the flexible side, so it's likely not the frame. Like Tim said, change out your string for something like syn gut or even nat gut. If you want to stick with poly, go a little looser on the tension.

slowfox
10-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Maybe consider your serve technique as well. Perhaps it might be a cause as well. You might be "arming" your serve too much for this added power.

veloduffer
10-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Sounds like overuse - swinging harder to serve more powerfully and playing 6x/week. That's a lot of stress on any arm, especially if it is not in condition for that heavy workload. Take a week or two off to give it rest.

mrrockstar
10-12-2012, 05:47 AM
yr situation same as me many years ago

take rest, focus on serve form

remember not to rub it. and do not take steroid injection even getting worse.

btw, the best therapy i experienced is acupuncture

klementine79
10-12-2012, 06:14 AM
All good suggestions.

My 2 cents?, stretch bands and shoulder specific exercises and stretches. Before and after play. Take 10 minutes out of your routine to prevent damage and injury, it's worth it.

mrrockstar
10-12-2012, 06:21 AM
popping is the serious signal which yr tendons get swell up and the bone "click" on the tendon

i can tell you this will become serious prob if you do not take proper treatment and rest in very first beginning (as I exactly had this before)

This wasted me plenty of money to "soothe" it over last few years (physiotherapy, MRI scan, steroid...), and at the end, I found acupuncture is the cheapest and most effective (at least no negative effects)

also, if you are single backhand, change to double backhand, since external rotation will get it even worse.

hope you will recover very soon.

Sreeram
10-12-2012, 06:39 AM
I got shoulder pain as well with YT IG Rad Pro stung with Tourna BHBR. The issue for me was the racquets soft flex that was felt by my shoulder. I still continued playing by changing my serve technique, I kept my tossing arm higher after toss for little longer, atleast till the ball reaches its max height during toss. This made sure my body twist was used more than my shoulder to hitting serve. Also this increased the kick in my serve and reduced the pace a little. I also did some shoulder workout like pullups.
I would suggest you to try these things and not to change the racquet. Also may be your string is dead now, Polys when dead can cause lot of harm.

Femed3
10-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the support guys.. I'm going to see a doctor this week and do the proper treatment before it gets worse.

Stevo Karlovic
10-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Listen... that racquet will never in a million years cause you any kind of shoulder pain whatsoever, unless.... you string with all polyester. The problem here is the string and not one of the softest racquets on the market. Why have a full bed of poly in such a low powered frame to begin with? That stick was born to be strung and played with soft strings. Soft flex and dense pattern answers the question: "What frames are best suited for natural gut stringings??" Head Radicals. Protect your shoulder homey. Mine is wrecked and it ain't ever coming back to full health.

Magic of tennis
10-14-2012, 12:03 AM
After you see doctor and rest, make sure you start on thrower's 10 exercise. You don't have to do all 10 of them.
I do specifically for shoulder exercise for serve.
Second, I would check serve technique and make sure to use multi strings.

morandi
10-14-2012, 06:58 AM
The strings are definitely more of the issue. If I string the EXO tour which is the most arm friendly racquet on the market with full poly, and don't change it out frequently, I feel it in my shoulders after a lot of serving.

mctennis
10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Take time off.
See a physician.

Femed3
10-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Went to the doctor this week and did a shoulder ultrasound, that didnt reveal any kind of lesion, so it was probably a muscular distension because of the overuse i had 2 weeks ago.
After this, i got a new question and hope u guys help me out: should i give up from using poly strings?

droliver
10-19-2012, 07:04 PM
The pain in your should is NOT a function of the racquet or strings. It's usually bursitis or tendonitis of the rotator cuff. These are biomechanical repetitive use types of injuries that are treated with rest, ice, NSAIDS, and strengthening exercises.

Pain plausibly associated with the racquet or string type are more limited to the wrist and elbow.

Stevo Karlovic
10-22-2012, 09:44 PM
The pain in your should is NOT a function of the racquet or strings. It's usually bursitis or tendonitis of the rotator cuff. These are biomechanical repetitive use types of injuries that are treated with rest, ice, NSAIDS, and strengthening exercises.

Pain plausibly associated with the racquet or string type are more limited to the wrist and elbow.

Completely false statement. Very possible to have shoulder health issues stemming from stiff frames or stringbeds.