PDA

View Full Version : Wawrinka unprofessional behaviour was disgusting

Paullaconte1
10-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I have found Wawrinka's behavior disgusting in the 3rd set with Federer.

He tanked badly in the third set without giving a damn of people watching the game. Something really horrid. I understand that he was deeply disappointed, but if you are a pro and you are not a teenager anymore you should have a proper behavior.

The commentators said many times that Federer gave a lesson of tennis and professionalism and I personally agree.

A couple of interesting thoughts about that
http://shanghai.tennistonic.com/view_tennisnews?nid=1320&/Federer-resurrects-to-reach-the-300-weeks-mark---Shanghai---Youtube
http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/doubles-partner-singles-nemesis/39741/#.UHeEp8XMjy0

Bartelby
10-11-2012, 06:55 PM
If you can't get over the next hill do you bust a gut trying?

Its a professional sport means you have to go and play the next week.

Cut your losses is professional. Knocking yourself out for the crowds for not a cent extra is commendable but not professional.

Sid_Vicious
10-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Well, Stanley did apologize for his performance in the 3rd set on twitter.

ledwix
10-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Cut your losses is professional. Knocking yourself out for the crowds for not a cent extra is commendable but not professional.

The crowds also make their prize money possible...obviously they're paying to see high-level tennis with guys trying their best. That's professionalism as well.

Paullaconte1
10-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Well, Stanley did apologize for his performance in the 3rd set on twitter.

That was nice of him.

Bartelby
10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Sponsors make prize money possible.

Its a year-long tour and early on in the third it became clear to him he couldn't win so his mental resolve faded.

The first two sets saw the crowd get more than their money's worth.

InspectorRacquet
10-11-2012, 07:12 PM
I think it's professional enough to apologize like he did.

merwy
10-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Yeah very unprofessional from Wawrinka to give the last set away like that. For some reason I always like seeing tennis players show normal human emotions like that (racket throwing, yelling, giving up and saying f*** this ****) but still, this is a lack of discipline and work ethic and does not fit a professional athlete.

On another note, I do not agree with what was written in the tennis.com article

Does Stan Wawrinka ever wonder what his career would have been like if he had come from another country? France, Holland, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, even? His father is German; why couldn’t he have been from Germany? If he had, Wawrinka almost surely wouldn’t own an Olympic gold medal in doubles, but he just as surely wouldn’t have had to live his tennis life so deeply in the shadow of another man.

I don't feel like Wawrinka lives in the shadow of Federer. Of course Federer is better than Wawrinka, but by that logic everyone is living in the shadow of Federer. When I think of Wawrinka, I just think of him as the person Stanislas Wawrinka not the "#2 of Switzerland, behind Roger Federer". Besides, Wawrinka is the #17 of the world, it's not like he's the #2 of the world and is very unlucky to have Federer in front of him. It's easily possible that someone else from your country is ranked higher than you if you are ranked #17. He should thank his lucky stars that he got that Olympic gold medal because of Rogi.

MAXXply
10-11-2012, 07:39 PM
^ With his name, I always thought Stan was of Polish background. I thought he was Swiss-born of immigrant Polish parents?

timnz
10-11-2012, 07:48 PM
^ With his name, I always thought Stan was of Polish background. I thought he was Swiss-born of immigrant Polish parents?

From Wikipedia:

"Wawrinka's father, Wolfram, is a German of Czech ancestry, although his surname is actually of Polish origin. Wawrinka's paternal great-grandfather originated from a border region between Poland and the former Czechoslovakia. Wawrinka's mother Isabelle is Swiss. His mother works as a biodynamic farmer helping handicapped people. He has one older brother Jonathan, who teaches tennis, and two younger sisters Djanaée and Naëlla, who are students and tennis players"

merwy
10-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I think it's professional enough to apologize like he did.

Did he? Can you post what he said exacty or give a source? I'm just curious.

adv-deuce_4ever
10-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Did he? Can you post what he said exacty or give a source? I'm just curious.

https://twitter.com/stanwawrinka

not_federer
10-11-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't feel like Wawrinka lives in the shadow of Federer. Of course Federer is better than Wawrinka, but by that logic everyone is living in the shadow of Federer. When I think of Wawrinka, I just think of him as the person Stanislas Wawrinka not the "#2 of Switzerland, behind Roger Federer". Besides, Wawrinka is the #17 of the world, it's not like he's the #2 of the world and is very unlucky to have Federer in front of him. It's easily possible that someone else from your country is ranked higher than you if you are ranked #17. He should thank his lucky stars that he got that Olympic gold medal because of Rogi.

I was with you until there. Ouch man! That's harsh and very demeaning.

I think the only way Stan is unlucky is to have been in Roger's way 13 times.

merwy
10-11-2012, 08:05 PM
https://twitter.com/stanwawrinka

Thanks!

10char

Bergboy123
10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
What exactly did he do in the 3rd set? Any video?

ledwix
10-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Sponsors make prize money possible.

So in every prize ceremony, when the finalists thank the crowd for their support of the tournament, they are in error and should omit this, since fans are irrelevant? Or maybe they should instead thank last year's fans, the fans from two years ago, etc. and ignore the ones from this year? lol

The first two sets saw the crowd get more than their money's worth.

But humans unfortunately remember the finale of a performance better than the middle.

Bartelby
10-11-2012, 10:05 PM
It was the best match of the tournament so far so Stan gave the crowd more than their money's worth.

I've seen inumerable tennis players leave sets go rather than fight it out to the end.

Its the norm. It just looked worse because it was such an enormous collapse.

Paullaconte1
10-11-2012, 10:50 PM
What exactly did he do in the 3rd set? Any video?

There is one in Tennis Tonic, but it's about highlights and you can't get it. Actually he just stopped playing and he was throwing away balls like a grumpy teenager would do during a under 12 final.

Lovely_Bone
10-11-2012, 11:16 PM
There is one in Tennis Tonic, but it's about highlights and you can't get it. Actually he just stopped playing and he was throwing away balls like a grumpy teenager would do during a under 12 final.

Teenager in an under 12 final?

augustobt
10-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Wawrinka looked like me with 13yo when I didn't wanted to play anymore...

Prisoner of Birth
10-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Teenager in an under 12 final?

Probably an eleventeen year-old.

Paullaconte1
10-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Probably an eleventeen year-old.

Or a teenteen.... :) sorry about that!

The Bawss
10-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Give stan a break you trolls. Tomic tanked harder against Roddick at this year's USO.

dangalak
10-12-2012, 02:45 AM
Yeah very unprofessional from Wawrinka to give the last set away like that. For some reason I always like seeing tennis players show normal human emotions like that (racket throwing, yelling, giving up and saying f*** this ****) but still, this is a lack of discipline and work ethic and does not fit a professional athlete.

On another note, I do not agree with what was written in the tennis.com article

Rogi wouldn't have won sh*t without Wawrinka. :lol: Wawrinka actually has great doubles skills.

The Bawss
10-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Rogi wouldn't have won sh*t without Wawrinka. :lol: Wawrinka actually has great doubles skills.

While this is true, the converse is also. Wawrinka needed Roger and Roger needed Wawa. Without eachother, who were they going to win it with? Chiudinellli? LOL

Carsomyr
10-12-2012, 04:25 AM

I try to be as objective as possible from the perspective of a Federer fan, but Fed is a far superior doubles player. The Swedes focused their efforts on breaking down Stan in the gold medal match and it nearly worked. It did work for the Americans in Davis Cup earlier this year.

batz
10-12-2012, 04:29 AM
Give stan a break you trolls. Tomic tanked harder against Roddick at this year's USO.

Yeah trolls - leave Stan alone. Him not giving of his best is not an excuse for hating on him. Now if Stan had been moaning to himself, maybe the odd swear word - that would be an excuse for hating on him - right Bawss?

The Bawss
10-12-2012, 04:35 AM
Yeah trolls - leave Stan alone. Him not giving of his best is not an excuse for hating on him. Now if Stan had been moaning to himself, maybe the odd swear word - that would be an excuse for hating on him - right Bawss?

Irrelevant. Maybe he just got beaten by a better player in the last set after having been mentally fatigued. If may well have been out of his control. If Wawrinka had chosen to be whiny, rude and abnoxious then maybe I wouldn't be defending him.

Wilander Fan
10-12-2012, 08:23 AM
I saw the match and the second set was an absolute war. Alot of defending and prolonged rallies.

RF20Lennon
10-12-2012, 08:30 AM
He just didnt give a damn anymore he was just slamming balls and missing

jokinla
10-12-2012, 08:32 AM
I have found Wawrinka's behavior disgusting in the 3rd set with Federer.

He tanked badly in the third set without giving a damn of people watching the game. Something really horrid. I understand that he was deeply disappointed, but if you are a pro and you are not a teenager anymore you should have a proper behavior.

The commentators said many times that Federer gave a lesson of tennis and professionalism and I personally agree.

A couple of interesting thoughts about that
http://shanghai.tennistonic.com/view_tennisnews?nid=1320&/Federer-resurrects-to-reach-the-300-weeks-mark---Shanghai---Youtube
http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/doubles-partner-singles-nemesis/39741/#.UHeEp8XMjy0

You mean there were people in the stands, the matches I've seen all week had little to nobody in the seats.

jokinla
10-12-2012, 08:33 AM
The crowds also make their prize money possible...obviously they're paying to see high-level tennis with guys trying their best. That's professionalism as well.

If the crowds in China make their prize money possible, the guys would go broke.

TimothyO
10-12-2012, 08:39 AM

The crowds do NOT make the prize money possible. Millions of consumers, most of whom don't care about tennis, make the proze money possible by purchasing products and services from the tournament sponsors.

The crowds at tennis events are tiny outside of the Big Four as they near the quarter and semi-finals. If advertisers could only reach the crowds in the stadiums the players would be competing for lunch money. It's the television audience and the overall market well beyond the friendly confines of a masters 500 or 1000 event that drive the prize money.

sureshs
10-12-2012, 08:44 AM
That is why some think that Fed was blessed with mentally weak competitors in his era who lost matches to him before getting on the court. Fed struggled when someone with belief faced him, like Nadal and Djokovic.

I watched the match, and could not believe how many short and weak sitters Fed was putting up, and Stan was overhitting on them. It is almost as if he wanted to lose. Nadal would have crushed every one of these weak balls.

Wilander Fan
10-12-2012, 08:58 AM
That is why some think that Fed was blessed with mentally weak competitors in his era who lost matches to him before getting on the court. Fed struggled when someone with belief faced him, like Nadal and Djokovic.

I watched the match, and could not believe how many short and weak sitters Fed was putting up, and Stan was overhitting on them. It is almost as if he wanted to lose. Nadal would have crushed every one of these weak balls.

I think its because Federer can read Wawrinka's strokes and Stan knows this so he has to either change it up or go for broke.

sureshs
10-12-2012, 09:00 AM
I think its because Federer can read Wawrinka's strokes and Stan knows this so he has to either change it up or go for broke.

No, it doesn't explain why he did not punish those sitters.

Emet74
10-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Well maybe that's why Nadal has been ranked much higher than Wawrinka for the past many years, and why this was a second round match and not a final. What's your point?

sureshs
10-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Well maybe that's why Nadal has been ranked much higher than Wawrinka for the past many years, and why this was a second round match and not a final. What's your point?

That Fed is one lucky dude

cork_screw
10-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I seriously don't think he was thinking of the people who were watching when he played that 3rd set. And if he thought about it at all, that would be a dumb reason to find motivation to play a good set. I'm sure he was emotionally empty when he lost that 2nd set, which is pretty ******** because now things were just level. He wasn't even behind in the match. The way his mentality was, he made it seem like he was now down 2 sets when in fact, he was a set all. That's why he'll never win a slam or even make it top 5.

Wuppy
10-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Wawrinka was demoralized, deflated and exhausted when he lost the 2nd set in a tie-breaker. I don't think he was "unprofessional," he was just thoroughly beaten. He came out sprinting, knowing he had to win in 2 or he'd lose. He almost did, and expended 100% of his energy on those first two sets. After that he was done, physically, mentally and emotionally.

I think it was a very professional performance. I'm sure he and his coach thought it out and said basically, "You have to come out with all guns blazing and win it in 2. Don't leave anything for the third set, because he'll pick you apart if it goes that long."

Wawrinka tried and came close, but came up just short. His performance in the first set was amazing, but it was obvious he was playing at 100% with no holding back. It was clear to me (and the announcers) that if it went to three he would lose.

I don't think there's anything wrong with how he played, he came very close to winning.

rainingaces
10-12-2012, 01:52 PM
What do tomic and wawrinka have in common? Answer they are both under achivers.

kishnabe
10-12-2012, 06:54 PM
What do tomic and wawrinka have in common? Answer they are both under achivers.

Tomic tanks Roddick and Night time, Wawrinka tanks Roger( Aussie and Shanghai Open).

Paullaconte1
10-12-2012, 07:01 PM
You mean there were people in the stands, the matches I've seen all week had little to nobody in the seats.

There were always lots of people during Federer matches.

Also tanking is a complete lack of respect not only for the people that are physically there, but also for people watching TV (paid or not paid), the opponent, your sponsors and the sport.

Quite often you see people giving it all in friendly tennis matches in the middle of nowhere for the sake of it.

That's sport. that's competition. That's tennis!

dangalak
10-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Tomic tanks Roddick and Night time, Wawrinka tanks Roger( Aussie and Shanghai Open).

How did Wawrinka tank to Federer in AO?

He didn't tank the most recent match either, just the last set.