PDA

View Full Version : Nadal/Coria 2005

Prisoner of Birth
10-11-2012, 11:53 PM
What a match! I was looking at some of the highlights and I'm amazed. Could anyone have predicted that that kid would go on to own Claycourt Tennis for the next 8 years (and probably more)? And I forgot how good Coria was on Clay back then.

ETA : LOL forgot to link it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Xsb3x9vVE

firepanda
10-12-2012, 12:01 AM
I miss vintage Rafa...

MichaelNadal
10-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Absolutely sick match and everything I love about Rafa is on display.

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Watching this video reminds me why I'm not very hopeful with the up and coming generation. Just from this match you could tell he was going to be something special. Same with Federer at wimbledon.

pmata814
10-12-2012, 06:15 AM
I was just thinking about this match a couple of weeks ago but i couldnt remember coria's name. Thx for posting it...i feel much better now. :)

Rozroz
10-12-2012, 06:18 AM
oh, the old Nadal left ********* arm period..

Gonzo_style
10-12-2012, 07:13 AM
One of the best clay court match ever, it's a shame, Coria-Nadal could be one of the best clay court rivalry if Coria stayed healthy :(

Biscuitmcgriddleson
10-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Absolutely sick match and everything I love about Rafa is on display.

Aggressive Rafa is truly a fantastic player to watch.

MichaelNadal
10-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Aggressive Rafa is truly a fantastic player to watch.

Absolutely, I don't know how some people can deny that still.

Sim
10-12-2012, 08:05 AM
One of my favorite sets to watch for tennis. :shock:

kishnabe
10-12-2012, 08:21 AM
When Rafa was epitome of an annoying brat and the jealous views of other 18 year olds.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
10-12-2012, 08:30 AM

I totally agree with you.

Mustard
10-12-2012, 10:36 AM
The 2005 Rome final is probably the best clay-court match I've seen in terms of drama and tension.

tacou
10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
vamos coria

hisrob777
10-12-2012, 11:04 AM
What a match!

Netspirit
10-12-2012, 11:09 AM
I am amazed by Coria, who is like 3 times lighter than Nadal.

Netspirit
10-12-2012, 11:19 AM
It was also surprising to see a very cold handshake in the end, given the epic struggle the two had been through.

Warmaster
10-12-2012, 11:23 AM
The 2005 Rome final is probably the best clay-court match I've seen in terms of drama and tension.

It was an amazing match. The 2006 final was unbelievable as well. It's a loss for the game they no longer play bo5 finals imo.

BigServer1
10-12-2012, 11:27 AM

I just wish he still played like that. My favorite Rafa matches were early in his career when he just destroyed people off the FH and ran around everything. That coupled with his sick defense and passing shots back then made him so much more fun to watch.

Gonzalito17
10-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Coria was the king of clay pre Nadal but he blew that final vs. Gaudio, he should have won that. He was the premier clay court player before Nadal took over the throne. This match and the other final they played were epic changing of the guard clashes of clay titans. Coria fell to pieces when he realized Nadal was his master. His career fell apart.

NadalAgassi
10-12-2012, 11:37 AM
I think Nadal overtaking Coria on clay so soon after the Gaudio fiasco was too much for Coria to take. His will was broken. I think this was the match that ended him for good.

Mustard
10-12-2012, 11:39 AM
The 2005 Monte Carlo final, which Nadal won 6-3, 6-1, 0-6, 7-5, was a different kind of match. It wasn't until towards the end of the match that both players played well at the same time. Coria started well in the opening games to go 3-1 up, but then Nadal dominated up to the end of the second set as Coria moaned about the drizzle. Coria then suddenly dominated the third set as Nadal's level went way down. The fourth set saw Nadal take a bit of a lead before Coria came back and then they started going toe-to-toe properly just before Nadal won. The 2005 Rome final, by contrast, was a toe-to-toe war all the way through, with Nadal winning 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6.

Mustard
10-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I think Nadal overtaking Coria on clay so soon after the Gaudio fiasco was too much for Coria to take. His will was broken. I think this was the match that ended him for good.

Not being able to get his serves in consistently is what finished him off. His yips was bad enough in late 2005, but it was awful in 2006 and beyond.

namelessone
10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
The amazing thing is that baby Nadal is actually holding his own and eventually beating a guy that was RG finalist the year before and who was a pedigree clay player himself(and this was arguably still Coria's prime). It would be like a 19 year old coming in to trounce Nadal on clay and look at ease at times in doing so. But then again this wasn't a first for Nadal since he beat Costa at 16 years of age and Costa was reigning RG champ at the time.

Mustard
10-12-2012, 11:56 AM
In 2004, Coria strutted on the court like he owned it, and his confidence was sky high on clay until the Gaudio fiasco at Roland Garros. 2005 Coria was less confident on clay and would make more errors, although he would still play his best in patches.

2005 Nadal, although inexperienced, was just on a mission to do as well as he could and he had an unbelievable amount of enthusiasm and energy. He started a legendary streak on clay, and his enthusiasm and never-say-die attitude eventually got him over the line against the more edgy and tight Coria.

It's worth pointing out that Coria had led by 3-0 in the fifth set (a double break) and had a game point on his serve for 4-0. Nadal found a way out of this and won 8-6 in the fifth set tiebreak on his fourth championship point. Coria never got to championship point. He had saved a Nadal CP when 5-6 down, and recovered from 1-5 and 4-6 deficits in the tiebreak to get back to 6-6, but then lost the next 2 points as Nadal won.

reversef
10-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Coria was the king of clay pre Nadal but he blew that final vs. Gaudio, he should have won that. He was the premier clay court player before Nadal took over the throne. This match and the other final they played were epic changing of the guard clashes of clay titans. Coria fell to pieces when he realized Nadal was his master. His career fell apart.
It's too bad. That match is one of my all time favourite matches. But someone had to lose. It was Coria. He was never the same after that. Nadal-Coria could have been such an incredible rivalry. :(

Prisoner of Birth
10-12-2012, 12:20 PM
I was just thinking about this match a couple of weeks ago but i couldnt remember coria's name. Thx for posting it...i feel much better now. :)

Cheers! :)

BauerAlmeida
10-12-2012, 02:01 PM
That much was simply epic. A demonstration of how claycourt tennis is played. Too bad Coria lost. If not maybe we would've had a nice Coria-Nadal rivalry the last years (with Nadal winning more than Coria though). That match killed Coria. He was serving 3-0 40-30. Then he had a break point to serve for the match when Rafa was serving 4-4.

I think this is the best match I saw after the AO 2005 SF. Not sure but it's up there. It was really fantastic.

Rock Strongo
10-12-2012, 03:05 PM
The 2005 Monte Carlo final, which Nadal won 6-3, 6-1, 0-6, 7-5, was a different kind of match. It wasn't until towards the end of the match that both players played well at the same time. Coria started well in the opening games to go 3-1 up, but then Nadal dominated up to the end of the second set as Coria moaned about the drizzle. Coria then suddenly dominated the third set as Nadal's level went way down. The fourth set saw Nadal take a bit of a lead before Coria came back and then they started going toe-to-toe properly just before Nadal won. The 2005 Rome final, by contrast, was a toe-to-toe war all the way through, with Nadal winning 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6.

That's almost the best coincidence ever.

MichaelNadal
10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I just wish he still played like that. My favorite Rafa matches were early in his career when he just destroyed people off the FH and ran around everything. That coupled with his sick defense and passing shots back then made him so much more fun to watch.

Same here, I get so irritated when he pushes or plays scared or according to how "confident" he's feeling now. I like when Nadal plays balls to the wall like he did up until mid 2009 and at the USO in 2010, AO final this year and 09.

The-Champ
10-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Coria is the guy we always forget to mention when we talk about "the fastest". He was an incredible mover.

sonicare
10-12-2012, 04:16 PM

what about rg 04?

Mustard
10-12-2012, 06:50 PM
what about rg 04?

The last 2 sets of the 2004 French Open final was like watching a car crash in slow motion.

NadalAgassi
10-12-2012, 06:51 PM
People say Gaudio is the worst player to win a slam but wouldnt that be Mark Edmunston who won an Australian Open ranked outside the top 200?

Mustard
10-12-2012, 06:55 PM
People say Gaudio is the worst player to win a slam but wouldnt that be Mark Edmunston who won an Australian Open ranked outside the top 200?

Edmondson is the lowest ranked player to win a major, at 212 in the world, but he did beat Rosewall and Newcombe to win that 1976 Australian Open title.

NadalAgassi
10-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Rosewall was 41 years old by then though and Newcombe was also past his slam winnning days. Are those bigger wins at the time than prime Coria, prime Nalbandian, and prime Hewitt at the 2004 French?

tacou
10-12-2012, 07:56 PM
It was also surprising to see a very cold handshake in the end, given the epic struggle the two had been through.

Coria wasn't the greatest of sports. I still loved him.

As much as I enjoy the beautiful Fed/Nadal rivalry, I love a guy who loses an epic match and absolutely despises his opponent afterward

tacou
10-12-2012, 07:58 PM

He made a USO QF after that. Could've got to a hard court SF (where he would've played Agassi I think?) but double faulted twice in a row to lose to Ginepri in the 5th set. Great, great match.

Imagine if Guillermo Coria made the 2005 US Open Final.

NadalAgassi
10-12-2012, 08:54 PM
He made a USO QF after that. Could've got to a hard court SF (where he would've played Agassi I think?) but double faulted twice in a row to lose to Ginepri in the 5th set. Great, great match.

He was never beating Agassi on a hard court, and probably would have come nowhere near as close as Ginepri surprisingly did, but it would have been great for him to make the semis there.

tacou
10-12-2012, 09:36 PM
He was never beating Agassi on a hard court, and probably would have come nowhere near as close as Ginepri surprisingly did, but it would have been great for him to make the semis there.

Probably not, but Agassi was jacked up on cortisone. He looked stiff in the final. If Coria had made it a grind who knows. Definitely Agassi is the favorite but such matches (Coria/Ginepri) can make a world of difference in a player's carer.

gsharma
10-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Man Coria was good and fast! Thanks for posting a video. Would've been a great rivalry.

basil J
10-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Nadal hit through his forehands 90% of the time back then before he embraced the buggy whip forehand as his go to shot these days. I remember watching this match thinking "this is the guy who is going to bring tennis up to another physical level". Just amazing never say die attitude. I wish he could go back to this type of play, but I think that ship has sailed. Way too tough on the body.

xanctus
10-14-2012, 12:19 AM
I miss Coria more than anybody else... :D. He was always one of my all time favourite with his drop shot.

papertank
10-14-2012, 12:34 AM
This match is absolutely amazing. THE best clay court match I've ever seen. It obviously showcases vintage Nadal, but it also shows just how great Coria was. He was absolutely ferocious in this match. Only the future greatest clay courter ever could take him out.

The-Champ
10-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Nadal hit through his forehands 90% of the time back then before he embraced the buggy whip forehand as his go to shot these days. I remember watching this match thinking "this is the guy who is going to bring tennis up to another physical level". Just amazing never say die attitude. I wish he could go back to this type of play, but I think that ship has sailed. Way too tough on the body.

He will never play like that again, unfortunately. The speed and killer instinct are long gone..

Andres
10-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Rosewall was 41 years old by then though and Newcombe was also past his slam winnning days. Are those bigger wins at the time than prime Coria, prime Nalbandian, and prime Hewitt at the 2004 French?
Not only Coria, Nalbandian and Hewitt, but he also had Guillermo Caņas in R1 and Andreev later.
One of the toughest clay draws of all times.

NDFM
10-14-2012, 09:32 AM
He will never play like that again, unfortunately. The speed and killer instinct are long gone..

it's a shame though, this is the best of rafa. I'm a still a fan today but we only get rare appearances of this rafa today, last I can remember was in some matches at the AO this year.

BauerAlmeida
10-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Not only Coria, Nalbandian and Hewitt, but he also had Guillermo Caņas in R1 and Andreev later.
One of the toughest clay draws of all times.

And Jiri Novak too.

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 01:57 PM

Yeah, I don't want to imagine that because it would've been a terrible match against Federer. He would've gotten destroyed.

MichaelNadal
10-14-2012, 02:07 PM
it's a shame though, this is the best of rafa. I'm a still a fan today but we only get rare appearances of this rafa today, last I can remember was in some matches at the AO this year.

Yeah really, when Rafa plays that way it's just magic for me. The 4th and 5th sets of the AO final this year reminded me exactly why I liked his style so much. It's a shame it's no longer day in and day out.