PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect with the Pure Storm?

JAY1
10-12-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm about to pick up my new racquets on Monday, 3 X Babolat Pure Storm GT.

I've used a Babolat Pure Drive for the last three years and had it strung with Babolat XCel at 50lbs.

What can I expect differently with the new racquets?
Shall I keep the same tension, string etc?

I'm an equilivant of a 5.0/5.5 player.

Any advice and tips would be appreciated....

Nostradamus
10-12-2012, 08:04 AM
yes, everyone tells me it is much improved over previous year's versions. and it is so much better for your arm than before.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Storm_GT/descpageRCBAB-BPS.html

JAY1
10-12-2012, 08:32 AM
yes, everyone tells me it is much improved over previous year's versions. and it is so much better for your arm than before.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Storm_GT/descpageRCBAB-BPS.html
Thanks that's a great link. And do you know anyone that has used both the Pure Drive & the Pure Storm and is able give comparison notes etc?

Babolatbarry
10-12-2012, 08:39 AM
I've used both, well the Pure Storm tour and the PD plus. The pure drive has more power obviously. but the pure storm was AMAZING for putting away short balls in the corners and at the net. Serves(to me) were actually comparable between the two, not much difference. I loved the Pure Storm tour, it's my second favorite racquet behind the six.one 95

royfrombigd
10-12-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm about to pick up my new racquets on Monday, 3 X Babolat Pure Storm GT.

I've used a Babolat Pure Drive for the last three years and had it strung with Babolat XCel at 50lbs.

What can I expect differently with the new racquets?
Shall I keep the same tension, string etc?

I'm an equilivant of a 5.0/5.5 player.

Any advice and tips would be appreciated....

Are these just the standard PS or are they the Tour or LTD? I've hit with both the standard (played about a year with them) and the LTD, but never the tour. Also, I've also owned many generations of Pure Drives. Like the previous poster stated, you will find a decrease in power, but the control of any of the Pure Storms will be infinitely better. The Pure Storms are also much more flexible, so they are better for your arm. Serving wise, the stiffness of the PD really helped my game out in that area, so a lot will depend on your technique. Since you are at 5.0-5.5, i'm guessing your technique is probably pretty darn good. As much as I was intoxicated by the power of the PD, I'd take a PS any day. Hope that helps.

JAY1
10-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Are these just the standard PS or are they the Tour or LTD? I've hit with both the standard (played about a year with them) and the LTD, but never the tour. Also, I've also owned many generations of Pure Drives. Like the previous poster stated, you will find a decrease in power, but the control of any of the Pure Storms will be infinitely better. The Pure Storms are also much more flexible, so they are better for your arm. Serving wise, the stiffness of the PD really helped my game out in that area, so a lot will depend on your technique. Since you are at 5.0-5.5, i'm guessing your technique is probably pretty darn good. As much as I was intoxicated by the power of the PD, I'd take a PS any day. Hope that helps.
That's brilliant thank you.
It's a standard Pure Storm GT - 295 grammes....
What string do you think I should use?
I currently use Xcel at 50lbs in my Pure Drive. I string it so loosely because of my dodgy arm.
So a string and tension recommendation would be great? Thanks

keithfival
10-12-2012, 11:45 AM
That's brilliant thank you.
It's a standard Pure Storm GT - 295 grammes....
What string do you think I should use?
I currently use Xcel at 50lbs in my Pure Drive. I string it so loosely because of my dodgy arm.
So a string and tension recommendation would be great? Thanks

The Pure Storm should be quite comfy, nothing like a PD, so I doubt you'd need to string lower than desired for that reason. It has a nice solid feel but a little on the muted side, so a string that transmits some feedback at mid tension might be a good starting point.

ollinger
10-12-2012, 12:02 PM
You can expect the handle to crack at some point. Seems to be an often reported malady with this model.

JAY1
10-12-2012, 12:06 PM
The Pure Storm should be quite comfy, nothing like a PD, so I doubt you'd need to string lower than desired for that reason. It has a nice solid feel but a little on the muted side, so a string that transmits some feedback at mid tension might be a good starting point.
That's great advice thank you.
Do you think Xcel is still a good string to use in the Pure Storm?
Apparently it's one of the top strings on the market for comfort and control?
The Pure Storm recommended tension is 55 - 65lbs, do you think 50lbs is too low? If so what tension should I string it at? Thanks

bugeyed
10-12-2012, 02:12 PM
You can expect the handle to crack at some point. Seems to be an often reported malady with this model.

You seem to know a lot about Babolat racquets. Can you provide something to support the statement about the handle cracking?

Cheers,
kev

iYangyin
10-27-2012, 07:21 PM
My sis owns a couple of Pure Storms, so I hit with them here and there. I'm a Prostaff/Prestige user, so it's a fair cry to what I'm familiar with.

It's a good racket for someone comfortable with mid-light weight. Stable enough, and good control. Very easy to swing. Compared to your Pure Drive, you're going to notice a drop in power but a big increase in placement and the amount of balls that land in. Has that muted feel of most Babs, but you should be used to it.

Good stick.

sandiegoman
10-27-2012, 07:35 PM
The pure storm is more whippy feeling