PDA

View Full Version : elbow pain, and player's racket for intermediates

spectastic
10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
I've never had elbow pain, and I use stiff rackets (like 70; 25 mm beam). I don't believe I have trouble with any of my strokes, and I think that's where most of the injuries come into play. So I guess I'm just a little confused when people say they get tennis elbows with certain rackets, but not others. Isn't it more a function of your technique and physique whether or not you're hurting after 3 hours?

Also I would modestly consider myself a 3.5-4.0 player, depending on the day. I would also consider myself stronger than the average player at my level. Although I've had my experience with bigger head size rackets, I like player's racket a lot more. My current racket is pure storm tour, and I want to try out the k6.1 95, which I doubt would give me any trouble. So another thing I'm wondering is how does racket weight even matter? If you're stronger, and can handle a 340 sw, what does the player's level have anything to do with it?

sunof tennis
10-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Numerous threads on this topic. Earlier one this week ranked causative factors for tennis elbow to be:
1. Technique
2. Strings (Stiff poly)
3. Stiff racquets
As it relates to weight, general thought is that if you can easily swing a heavier racquet for entire length of your playing time that day, then the heavier racquet may be better as they will often absorb more of the vibrations.

sunof tennis
10-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I've never had elbow pain, and I use stiff rackets (like 70; 25 mm beam). I don't believe I have trouble with any of my strokes, and I think that's where most of the injuries come into play. So I guess I'm just a little confused when people say they get tennis elbows with certain rackets, but not others. Isn't it more a function of your technique and physique whether or not you're hurting after 3 hours?

Also I would modestly consider myself a 3.5-4.0 player, depending on the day. I would also consider myself stronger than the average player at my level. Although I've had my experience with bigger head size rackets, I like player's racket a lot more. My current racket is pure storm tour, and I want to try out the k6.1 95, which I doubt would give me any trouble. So another thing I'm wondering is how does racket weight even matter? If you're stronger, and can handle a 340 sw, what does the player's level have anything to do with it?

I would say that the new 2012 BLX6.1 95 may be bettter for your arm than the K95 as it is slightly less stiff. As for a player's ability, it doesn't directly affect the likelihood that one will develop tennis elbow. However, lower rated players are more likely to have technique flaws which are more likely to cause tennis elbow.

Sharky-San
10-12-2012, 04:31 PM
some thoughts...

I think the player's level has a little bit to do with it...It's the propensity to hit the sweetspot, or more accurately, not hit the sweetspot on players rackets that's the issue. The more you miss the sweetspot, the more vibration you'll generate which translates to less power, more effort, more taxing on your arm. That being said, a better player has a greater chance to hit the sweetspot more consistently due to better technique.

It could be that a 3.5 or 4.0 is able to play great with a 93 or 95 head. I see it with golf clubs too, 10-15handicap guys playing with blades, theoretically they would benefit from a larger club head in the irons. Same would apply to rackets.

I think the trouble starts when you have a mix of light and stiff frames. If you are strong enough to handle 12oz or more then your on your way to mitigating elbow issues...Mind the tensions on those heavy rackets, the lowest you can go while maintaining control and you're golden!

UCSF2012
10-12-2012, 05:14 PM

You don't know elbow pain until you've hit with the K Factors. If you want Wilson, you should look into rackets from the golden age. nCode and before. If you want current, Prince is your go-to man.

mctennis
10-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Try Pro Kennex racquets. I prefer the 5G myself.

jwbarrientos
10-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Numerous threads on this topic. Earlier one this week ranked causative factors for tennis elbow to be:
1. Technique
2. Strings (Stiff poly)
3. Stiff racquets
As it relates to weight, general thought is that if you can easily swing a heavier racquet for entire length of your playing time that day, then the heavier racquet may be better as they will often absorb more of the vibrations.

+1..... it isn't only one thing ... just changing your racquet would help but not sure will heal your elbow.

Sreeram
10-16-2012, 03:49 AM

I agree with you. Racquet weight has nothing to do with player level. But most 3.0s or lesser level players who prefer heavier racquets are those who have very slow swing and they want the racquet weight to compensate their swing speed by providing some punch. The problem with this is, though you get some success your game will never improve as you are not going to learn to swing freely. On the other hand if you are player who tries to take good swing at the ball then moving to a players racquet will force you to prepare early, if you are late you wont get the forgiveness that a lighter tweener can give. Hence your game will improve as you keep playing.